• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:30
CEST 15:30
KST 22:30
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
[Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6871 users

Interview of David Kim about Balance in IEM - Page 20

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 18 19 20 21 22 30 Next All
::Rhapsody
Profile Blog Joined February 2013
Canada124 Posts
July 28 2013 01:34 GMT
#381
On July 28 2013 10:30 Plansix wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 28 2013 10:25 ::Rhapsody wrote:
I think P is way too safe on TvP, I think Nathanias said something about how it was bullshit that 2rax can't punish 1gate fe.

Because a Protoss a 1 fax fe before with just two gates.


I don't know what you're saying. Explain.
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
July 28 2013 01:37 GMT
#382
On July 28 2013 10:33 ::Rhapsody wrote:
I feel like in TvP, terran has to do early game damage in order to fight equally in a 200/200 army situation. Oracles are game ending when you choose to go reaper on 1;1 maps. Idk, maybe it's just me, but protoss is not even played to it's full extent. No usage of warp prisms on most pro games, no storm drops, nothing. Although this is mostly because they want just straight up win an engagement without harrass.

What a load of crap. Crank uses WP all the time. So does grubby and other high level players. And they lose straight up engagements too if they are don't have the control to keep up. Stop blaming the game for your worst match up.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
July 28 2013 01:39 GMT
#383
On July 28 2013 10:34 ::Rhapsody wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 28 2013 10:30 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:25 ::Rhapsody wrote:
I think P is way too safe on TvP, I think Nathanias said something about how it was bullshit that 2rax can't punish 1gate fe.

Because a Protoss a 1 fax fe before with just two gates.


I don't know what you're saying. Explain.

Sorry, punish a 1 fax fe with just two gates. It's not an option.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
::Rhapsody
Profile Blog Joined February 2013
Canada124 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-28 01:39:41
July 28 2013 01:39 GMT
#384
On July 28 2013 10:37 Plansix wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 28 2013 10:33 ::Rhapsody wrote:
I feel like in TvP, terran has to do early game damage in order to fight equally in a 200/200 army situation. Oracles are game ending when you choose to go reaper on 1;1 maps. Idk, maybe it's just me, but protoss is not even played to it's full extent. No usage of warp prisms on most pro games, no storm drops, nothing. Although this is mostly because they want just straight up win an engagement without harrass.

What a load of crap. Crank uses WP all the time. So does grubby and other high level players. And they lose straight up engagements too if they are don't have the control to keep up. Stop blaming the game for your worst match up.


I play Random. This isn't my worst matchup, TvT and PvZ are. No need to attack me personally.
Sated
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
England4983 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-28 02:06:00
July 28 2013 01:41 GMT
#385
--- Nuked ---
::Rhapsody
Profile Blog Joined February 2013
Canada124 Posts
July 28 2013 01:43 GMT
#386
On July 28 2013 10:39 Plansix wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 28 2013 10:34 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:30 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:25 ::Rhapsody wrote:
I think P is way too safe on TvP, I think Nathanias said something about how it was bullshit that 2rax can't punish 1gate fe.

Because a Protoss a 1 fax fe before with just two gates.


I don't know what you're saying. Explain.

Sorry, punish a 1 fax fe with just two gates. It's not an option.



I still don't know what you're talking about.
What I said is: Nathanias said something about it being bullshit that Terran cannot punish Protoss with a 2 Rax, not the other way around. You might have misread.
::Rhapsody
Profile Blog Joined February 2013
Canada124 Posts
July 28 2013 01:45 GMT
#387
On July 28 2013 10:41 Sated wrote:
David Kim is using the "Protoss players are worse than Zerg and Terran players, it's not a balance issue" excuse...

Are you fucking serious?


Either Protoss is heavily underplayed [not] or Protoss has design issues [probably] or Protoss is weak [a bit unlikely]. The relience on FF and gimmicks make protoss really weird compared to T and Z.
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
July 28 2013 01:48 GMT
#388
On July 28 2013 10:43 ::Rhapsody wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 28 2013 10:39 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:34 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:30 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:25 ::Rhapsody wrote:
I think P is way too safe on TvP, I think Nathanias said something about how it was bullshit that 2rax can't punish 1gate fe.

Because a Protoss a 1 fax fe before with just two gates.


I don't know what you're saying. Explain.

Sorry, punish a 1 fax fe with just two gates. It's not an option.



I still don't know what you're talking about.
What I said is: Nathanias said something about it being bullshit that Terran cannot punish Protoss with a 2 Rax, not the other way around. You might have misread.

Sorry, typing on a Ipad. Its not like a protoss could punish a 1 rax FE with 2 gates anyways. The era of building a bunch of marines off of 300 minerals worth of production and walking them across the map to do damage to a protoss fast expand is over. The builds are slightly more complicated that than now.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27463 Posts
July 28 2013 01:49 GMT
#389
On July 28 2013 10:43 ::Rhapsody wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 28 2013 10:39 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:34 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:30 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:25 ::Rhapsody wrote:
I think P is way too safe on TvP, I think Nathanias said something about how it was bullshit that 2rax can't punish 1gate fe.

Because a Protoss a 1 fax fe before with just two gates.


I don't know what you're saying. Explain.

Sorry, punish a 1 fax fe with just two gates. It's not an option.



I still don't know what you're talking about.
What I said is: Nathanias said something about it being bullshit that Terran cannot punish Protoss with a 2 Rax, not the other way around. You might have misread.

As a Protoss player I share his feelings on this.

I am not against safe openers, but to me it seems HoTs has really given Protoss tools to make what SHOULD be easy-to-punish greed, be perfectly safe. Reminds me of a similar time that Terrans were struggling against Queen-heavy openers after that patch.

I feel whining about enabling 'macro games' has really homogenised certain aspects of the game.

Now, in the overall scheme of things I am probably slightly behind Artosis, and far beyond everybody else in terms of my love of 'safe' builds so perhaps I am biased. That said, I feel more reactionary, calculated defensive play is more interesting and more fair than blind play that is incredibly hard to punish reactively.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27463 Posts
July 28 2013 01:51 GMT
#390
On July 28 2013 10:48 Plansix wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 28 2013 10:43 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:39 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:34 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:30 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:25 ::Rhapsody wrote:
I think P is way too safe on TvP, I think Nathanias said something about how it was bullshit that 2rax can't punish 1gate fe.

Because a Protoss a 1 fax fe before with just two gates.


I don't know what you're saying. Explain.

Sorry, punish a 1 fax fe with just two gates. It's not an option.



I still don't know what you're talking about.
What I said is: Nathanias said something about it being bullshit that Terran cannot punish Protoss with a 2 Rax, not the other way around. You might have misread.

Sorry, typing on a Ipad. Its not like a protoss could punish a 1 rax FE with 2 gates anyways. The era of building a bunch of marines off of 300 minerals worth of production and walking them across the map to do damage to a protoss fast expand is over. The builds are slightly more complicated that than now.

There was actually some subtlety in such moveouts, occasionally you would see seemingly random hitsquads of marines take really weird routes and hit the Protoss at specific timings, solely with the aim of say, sniping sentries. That mineral-only investment would then force the Protoss player to have to make a calculated decision, replace those lost sentries and sink that gas to be more defensively solid, or cut that defensive corner to push up the tech tree?

'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
July 28 2013 01:52 GMT
#391
On July 28 2013 10:49 Wombat_NI wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 28 2013 10:43 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:39 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:34 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:30 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:25 ::Rhapsody wrote:
I think P is way too safe on TvP, I think Nathanias said something about how it was bullshit that 2rax can't punish 1gate fe.

Because a Protoss a 1 fax fe before with just two gates.


I don't know what you're saying. Explain.

Sorry, punish a 1 fax fe with just two gates. It's not an option.



I still don't know what you're talking about.
What I said is: Nathanias said something about it being bullshit that Terran cannot punish Protoss with a 2 Rax, not the other way around. You might have misread.

As a Protoss player I share his feelings on this.

I am not against safe openers, but to me it seems HoTs has really given Protoss tools to make what SHOULD be easy-to-punish greed, be perfectly safe. Reminds me of a similar time that Terrans were struggling against Queen-heavy openers after that patch.

I feel whining about enabling 'macro games' has really homogenised certain aspects of the game.

Now, in the overall scheme of things I am probably slightly behind Artosis, and far beyond everybody else in terms of my love of 'safe' builds so perhaps I am biased. That said, I feel more reactionary, calculated defensive play is more interesting and more fair than blind play that is incredibly hard to punish reactively.

I don't know, a lot of these new hellion opener we have been seeing are giving the fast expand builds a run for their money. I saw several in the recent WCS and did some reasonable damage with the risk of doing a lot more if the protoss hadn't been on the ball. I think stuff is to safe until people figure out how to make it not safe.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
::Rhapsody
Profile Blog Joined February 2013
Canada124 Posts
July 28 2013 01:52 GMT
#392
On July 28 2013 10:49 Wombat_NI wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 28 2013 10:43 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:39 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:34 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:30 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:25 ::Rhapsody wrote:
I think P is way too safe on TvP, I think Nathanias said something about how it was bullshit that 2rax can't punish 1gate fe.

Because a Protoss a 1 fax fe before with just two gates.


I don't know what you're saying. Explain.

Sorry, punish a 1 fax fe with just two gates. It's not an option.



I still don't know what you're talking about.
What I said is: Nathanias said something about it being bullshit that Terran cannot punish Protoss with a 2 Rax, not the other way around. You might have misread.

As a Protoss player I share his feelings on this.

I am not against safe openers, but to me it seems HoTs has really given Protoss tools to make what SHOULD be easy-to-punish greed, be perfectly safe. Reminds me of a similar time that Terrans were struggling against Queen-heavy openers after that patch.

I feel whining about enabling 'macro games' has really homogenised certain aspects of the game.

Now, in the overall scheme of things I am probably slightly behind Artosis, and far beyond everybody else in terms of my love of 'safe' builds so perhaps I am biased. That said, I feel more reactionary, calculated defensive play is more interesting and more fair than blind play that is incredibly hard to punish reactively.


Yes! Exactly what I was saying in much better wording! Thank you, I always get flamed at for having poor choice of words.
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
July 28 2013 01:54 GMT
#393
On July 28 2013 10:51 Wombat_NI wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 28 2013 10:48 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:43 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:39 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:34 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:30 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:25 ::Rhapsody wrote:
I think P is way too safe on TvP, I think Nathanias said something about how it was bullshit that 2rax can't punish 1gate fe.

Because a Protoss a 1 fax fe before with just two gates.


I don't know what you're saying. Explain.

Sorry, punish a 1 fax fe with just two gates. It's not an option.



I still don't know what you're talking about.
What I said is: Nathanias said something about it being bullshit that Terran cannot punish Protoss with a 2 Rax, not the other way around. You might have misread.

Sorry, typing on a Ipad. Its not like a protoss could punish a 1 rax FE with 2 gates anyways. The era of building a bunch of marines off of 300 minerals worth of production and walking them across the map to do damage to a protoss fast expand is over. The builds are slightly more complicated that than now.

There was actually some subtlety in such moveouts, occasionally you would see seemingly random hitsquads of marines take really weird routes and hit the Protoss at specific timings, solely with the aim of say, sniping sentries. That mineral-only investment would then force the Protoss player to have to make a calculated decision, replace those lost sentries and sink that gas to be more defensively solid, or cut that defensive corner to push up the tech tree?


The problem I had with that was the terran never had to spend any gas to get this stuff, except maybe on reactors. They would just march their marine hit squad across the map and the protoss would pray they had enough FF to hold out until the production kicked in. And the terran could do this off of no gas and the back of a bunch of mules. I like the new era where the marine is useful, but not the snowball unit of choice for the early game.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27463 Posts
July 28 2013 01:56 GMT
#394
Thank you rhapsody, I suffer too on TL, getting ignored for using too many words

Plansix, any games in particular to check out? My incessant Starcraft watching has taken a momentary hit, I pretty much have a gap for this entire WCS Kr season to fill up, having only really seen the current IEM tournament of recent top-tier action.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-28 01:58:29
July 28 2013 01:58 GMT
#395
On July 28 2013 10:56 Wombat_NI wrote:
Thank you rhapsody, I suffer too on TL, getting ignored for using too many words

Plansix, any games in particular to check out? My incessant Starcraft watching has taken a momentary hit, I pretty much have a gap for this entire WCS Kr season to fill up, having only really seen the current IEM tournament of recent top-tier action.

Demuslims games in WCS this week had some good hellion usage against crank. I also think he used them against Huk I think. They still take 5 shots from a Nexus cannon and put the fear in protoss of a run by.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27463 Posts
July 28 2013 01:59 GMT
#396
On July 28 2013 10:54 Plansix wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 28 2013 10:51 Wombat_NI wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:48 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:43 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:39 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:34 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:30 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:25 ::Rhapsody wrote:
I think P is way too safe on TvP, I think Nathanias said something about how it was bullshit that 2rax can't punish 1gate fe.

Because a Protoss a 1 fax fe before with just two gates.


I don't know what you're saying. Explain.

Sorry, punish a 1 fax fe with just two gates. It's not an option.



I still don't know what you're talking about.
What I said is: Nathanias said something about it being bullshit that Terran cannot punish Protoss with a 2 Rax, not the other way around. You might have misread.

Sorry, typing on a Ipad. Its not like a protoss could punish a 1 rax FE with 2 gates anyways. The era of building a bunch of marines off of 300 minerals worth of production and walking them across the map to do damage to a protoss fast expand is over. The builds are slightly more complicated that than now.

There was actually some subtlety in such moveouts, occasionally you would see seemingly random hitsquads of marines take really weird routes and hit the Protoss at specific timings, solely with the aim of say, sniping sentries. That mineral-only investment would then force the Protoss player to have to make a calculated decision, replace those lost sentries and sink that gas to be more defensively solid, or cut that defensive corner to push up the tech tree?


The problem I had with that was the terran never had to spend any gas to get this stuff, except maybe on reactors. They would just march their marine hit squad across the map and the protoss would pray they had enough FF to hold out until the production kicked in. And the terran could do this off of no gas and the back of a bunch of mules. I like the new era where the marine is useful, but not the snowball unit of choice for the early game.

I'm not talking about any kind of kill-move, but really specific timings that are designed to punish certain builds. The old WoL CreatorPrime PvT stuck rigidly to 4 sentries as the best balance between defensive solidity, and achieving the tech goals of the overall build schematic. You would see smart players adjusting to target that specific element of the build, which I quite enjoyed seeing.

You could also deny such moveouts with good stalker positioning, and small scale stalker vs naked marine micro battles were some of my favourite aspects of the PvT of old.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
July 28 2013 02:02 GMT
#397
On July 28 2013 10:59 Wombat_NI wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 28 2013 10:54 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:51 Wombat_NI wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:48 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:43 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:39 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:34 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:30 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:25 ::Rhapsody wrote:
I think P is way too safe on TvP, I think Nathanias said something about how it was bullshit that 2rax can't punish 1gate fe.

Because a Protoss a 1 fax fe before with just two gates.


I don't know what you're saying. Explain.

Sorry, punish a 1 fax fe with just two gates. It's not an option.



I still don't know what you're talking about.
What I said is: Nathanias said something about it being bullshit that Terran cannot punish Protoss with a 2 Rax, not the other way around. You might have misread.

Sorry, typing on a Ipad. Its not like a protoss could punish a 1 rax FE with 2 gates anyways. The era of building a bunch of marines off of 300 minerals worth of production and walking them across the map to do damage to a protoss fast expand is over. The builds are slightly more complicated that than now.

There was actually some subtlety in such moveouts, occasionally you would see seemingly random hitsquads of marines take really weird routes and hit the Protoss at specific timings, solely with the aim of say, sniping sentries. That mineral-only investment would then force the Protoss player to have to make a calculated decision, replace those lost sentries and sink that gas to be more defensively solid, or cut that defensive corner to push up the tech tree?


The problem I had with that was the terran never had to spend any gas to get this stuff, except maybe on reactors. They would just march their marine hit squad across the map and the protoss would pray they had enough FF to hold out until the production kicked in. And the terran could do this off of no gas and the back of a bunch of mules. I like the new era where the marine is useful, but not the snowball unit of choice for the early game.

I'm not talking about any kind of kill-move, but really specific timings that are designed to punish certain builds. The old WoL CreatorPrime PvT stuck rigidly to 4 sentries as the best balance between defensive solidity, and achieving the tech goals of the overall build schematic. You would see smart players adjusting to target that specific element of the build, which I quite enjoyed seeing.

You could also deny such moveouts with good stalker positioning, and small scale stalker vs naked marine micro battles were some of my favourite aspects of the PvT of old.

The problem I had with that was it was one way. The terran could 1 rax FE back in WoL and there was shit all a protoss could do about it without all inning or dumping a shit ton of gas. But the terran could just build 2 raxes, not take any gasses and march across the map and try to do some damage. Maybe he wouldn't or maybe the protoss would fuck up, their timing would be off and it was game over.

I like this new era where the terran has to invest in some sort of gas, rather than just living off of mules until its time to get upgrades.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
::Rhapsody
Profile Blog Joined February 2013
Canada124 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-28 02:08:52
July 28 2013 02:07 GMT
#398
On July 28 2013 11:02 Plansix wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 28 2013 10:59 Wombat_NI wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:54 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:51 Wombat_NI wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:48 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:43 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:39 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:34 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:30 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:25 ::Rhapsody wrote:
I think P is way too safe on TvP, I think Nathanias said something about how it was bullshit that 2rax can't punish 1gate fe.

Because a Protoss a 1 fax fe before with just two gates.


I don't know what you're saying. Explain.

Sorry, punish a 1 fax fe with just two gates. It's not an option.



I still don't know what you're talking about.
What I said is: Nathanias said something about it being bullshit that Terran cannot punish Protoss with a 2 Rax, not the other way around. You might have misread.

Sorry, typing on a Ipad. Its not like a protoss could punish a 1 rax FE with 2 gates anyways. The era of building a bunch of marines off of 300 minerals worth of production and walking them across the map to do damage to a protoss fast expand is over. The builds are slightly more complicated that than now.

There was actually some subtlety in such moveouts, occasionally you would see seemingly random hitsquads of marines take really weird routes and hit the Protoss at specific timings, solely with the aim of say, sniping sentries. That mineral-only investment would then force the Protoss player to have to make a calculated decision, replace those lost sentries and sink that gas to be more defensively solid, or cut that defensive corner to push up the tech tree?


The problem I had with that was the terran never had to spend any gas to get this stuff, except maybe on reactors. They would just march their marine hit squad across the map and the protoss would pray they had enough FF to hold out until the production kicked in. And the terran could do this off of no gas and the back of a bunch of mules. I like the new era where the marine is useful, but not the snowball unit of choice for the early game.

I'm not talking about any kind of kill-move, but really specific timings that are designed to punish certain builds. The old WoL CreatorPrime PvT stuck rigidly to 4 sentries as the best balance between defensive solidity, and achieving the tech goals of the overall build schematic. You would see smart players adjusting to target that specific element of the build, which I quite enjoyed seeing.

You could also deny such moveouts with good stalker positioning, and small scale stalker vs naked marine micro battles were some of my favourite aspects of the PvT of old.

The problem I had with that was it was one way. The terran could 1 rax FE back in WoL and there was shit all a protoss could do about it without all inning or dumping a shit ton of gas. But the terran could just build 2 raxes, not take any gasses and march across the map and try to do some damage. Maybe he wouldn't or maybe the protoss would fuck up, their timing would be off and it was game over.

I like this new era where the terran has to invest in some sort of gas, rather than just living off of mules until its time to get upgrades.



But you see.. say I go 1rax reaper fe. Get 1-4 probe kills (usually), or not any. Then I'm forced to either go for another reaper, go for fact. or go for reactor, or go for reactor @50gas and stop mining gas. Then, if the protoss scouts that I'm making a reaper, a stargate follow up is incredibly dangerous for the terran, or if he scouts that I'm going reactor, he can play safely. Terran has to put a bit off pressure simply because of game design.

It's slightly easier to get the terran offguard than cornering the protoss offguard simply because of aoe, and such.
I know this comes all in all into skill level, but it's mostly the Protoss' army design that is so flawed.
Costly units, they don't scale well, colossus is really strong, stalker is super strong early game, and sucks late game.
Protoss units don't have any consistency.
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27463 Posts
July 28 2013 02:09 GMT
#399
Also I do apologise for my seemingly unrelenting negativity, Protoss do have the occasional entertaining game for sure, they aren't beyond hope.

'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-28 02:11:21
July 28 2013 02:10 GMT
#400
On July 28 2013 11:07 ::Rhapsody wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 28 2013 11:02 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:59 Wombat_NI wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:54 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:51 Wombat_NI wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:48 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:43 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:39 Plansix wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:34 ::Rhapsody wrote:
On July 28 2013 10:30 Plansix wrote:
[quote]
Because a Protoss a 1 fax fe before with just two gates.


I don't know what you're saying. Explain.

Sorry, punish a 1 fax fe with just two gates. It's not an option.



I still don't know what you're talking about.
What I said is: Nathanias said something about it being bullshit that Terran cannot punish Protoss with a 2 Rax, not the other way around. You might have misread.

Sorry, typing on a Ipad. Its not like a protoss could punish a 1 rax FE with 2 gates anyways. The era of building a bunch of marines off of 300 minerals worth of production and walking them across the map to do damage to a protoss fast expand is over. The builds are slightly more complicated that than now.

There was actually some subtlety in such moveouts, occasionally you would see seemingly random hitsquads of marines take really weird routes and hit the Protoss at specific timings, solely with the aim of say, sniping sentries. That mineral-only investment would then force the Protoss player to have to make a calculated decision, replace those lost sentries and sink that gas to be more defensively solid, or cut that defensive corner to push up the tech tree?


The problem I had with that was the terran never had to spend any gas to get this stuff, except maybe on reactors. They would just march their marine hit squad across the map and the protoss would pray they had enough FF to hold out until the production kicked in. And the terran could do this off of no gas and the back of a bunch of mules. I like the new era where the marine is useful, but not the snowball unit of choice for the early game.

I'm not talking about any kind of kill-move, but really specific timings that are designed to punish certain builds. The old WoL CreatorPrime PvT stuck rigidly to 4 sentries as the best balance between defensive solidity, and achieving the tech goals of the overall build schematic. You would see smart players adjusting to target that specific element of the build, which I quite enjoyed seeing.

You could also deny such moveouts with good stalker positioning, and small scale stalker vs naked marine micro battles were some of my favourite aspects of the PvT of old.

The problem I had with that was it was one way. The terran could 1 rax FE back in WoL and there was shit all a protoss could do about it without all inning or dumping a shit ton of gas. But the terran could just build 2 raxes, not take any gasses and march across the map and try to do some damage. Maybe he wouldn't or maybe the protoss would fuck up, their timing would be off and it was game over.

I like this new era where the terran has to invest in some sort of gas, rather than just living off of mules until its time to get upgrades.



But you see.. say I go 1rax reaper fe. Get 1-4 probe kills (usually), or not any. Then I'm forced to either go for another reaper, go for fact. or go for reactor, or go for reactor @50gas and stop mining gas. Then, if the protoss scouts that I'm making a reaper, a stargate follow up is incredibly dangerous for the terran, or if he scouts that I'm going reactor, he can play safely. Terran has to put a bit off pressure simply because of game design.

It's slightly easier to get the terran offguard than cornering the protoss offguard simply because of aoe, and such.
I know this comes all in all into skill level, but it's mostly the Protoss' army design that is so flawed.
Costly units, they don't scale well, colossus is really strong, stalker is super strong early game, and sucks late game.
Protoss units don't have any consistency.

Why are you trying for probe kills with your reaper? You should be using it for scouting and maybe light harassment, rather than trying to get a lead that early. I don't know why you think you should be able to do tons of damage by building a single unit and moving it across map.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
Prev 1 18 19 20 21 22 30 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Kung Fu Cup
20:00
Kung Fu Cup Weekly #26
IntoTheiNu 1053
RotterdaM561
TKL 221
SteadfastSC206
Rex133
CosmosSc2 27
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 561
ByuN 298
TKL 221
SteadfastSC 206
Rex 114
CosmosSc2 27
Codebar 26
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 41732
Shuttle 2464
Jaedong 1184
Horang2 832
Soulkey 500
Mini 423
Stork 359
EffOrt 359
Larva 275
Soma 251
[ Show more ]
BeSt 235
actioN 227
ZerO 196
Rush 196
Snow 173
Mong 146
Last 144
firebathero 141
Zeus 92
910 81
Mind 75
Free 74
Hyun 66
hero 48
PianO 42
sorry 41
Sharp 39
JYJ 37
Shinee 36
Pusan 35
Shine 33
Bale 29
ToSsGirL 24
Hm[arnc] 23
Sexy 23
Aegong 20
HiyA 18
Terrorterran 13
scan(afreeca) 10
Rock 9
Sacsri 8
Noble 7
Icarus 6
Dota 2
Gorgc4423
Dendi1276
canceldota81
Counter-Strike
fl0m1386
Fnx 90
edward44
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King136
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes577
Lowko338
Other Games
gofns83800
singsing2357
olofmeister999
B2W.Neo313
hiko299
DeMusliM218
Livibee179
Pyrionflax163
Liquid`VortiX98
QueenE64
Trikslyr63
ZerO(Twitch)12
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 1403
Other Games
BasetradeTV195
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream37
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH150
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis1806
• Jankos1547
• TFBlade392
Other Games
• Shiphtur662
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
2h 30m
The PondCast
20h 30m
INu's Battles
21h 30m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 8h
Replay Cast
1d 9h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
Patches Events
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.