• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:42
CEST 21:42
KST 04:42
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon110
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10231 users

JonnyREcco Leaves Dignitas - Page 12

Forum Index > SC2 General
328 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 14 17 Next All
Any future posts about nationality or other off topic posts will receive a 2-day ban minimum. (0900 KST 9 March 2013)
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27415 Posts
March 08 2013 16:47 GMT
#221
On March 09 2013 01:29 Plansix wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 09 2013 01:14 Wombat_NI wrote:
Well I actually never said he was terrible, if people would read my posts, merely was defending the rights of others to have an opinion. If you want my actual opinion, his games showcase an extremely boring style which doesn't give Zerg players the ability to show their skillsets, and this was very much the case in the latter period of WoL.

He's young, and was part-time previously, so his strong period coincided with that era, but may not be linked at all. It may have been his going fulltime was what let him post results. Wait and see.

Ah Spiral so the good players can have more valid opinions. Ok. Idra's opinion of balance must > his then, because he's a noted pro player?

Anyway, done with this thread. Don't wish to derail. I got dragged into the patchzerg discussion against my better judgement.


I am going to call BS on this and say you did call him bad in the post below(which I read)

Show nested quote +
On March 08 2013 23:18 Wombat_NI wrote:
Come on Stevez, I know you hate the term patchzerg but really? As we argued the other day, I accepted that 'patchzerg' is often mis-applied to players who are actually good.

Look at Scarlett, top notch creep spread, decent control and spreading, good map awareness, solid macro.

Seriously, where does Recco actually show that he's a good player in terms of actual definable 'strengths'?


You might be correct, I am not sure, but you make zero effort to back up you claim that he is bad and just assume you can imply JonnyR is a “patchzerg” by demanding other people defend him. People are entitled to their opinions, but you need to back up an opinion with something if you are going to put it out there.

Some background, I know Steve IRL, and that was something of a continuation of a discussion we were having the other day in which he claimed that there was never an issue with Zerg, which I let's say, disagree with.

I don't think he's terrible, but equally Zerg in that stage was a joke and it became rather hard to tell who was 'actually' good at the game. My dislike of the 'patchzerg' era is that it became so difficult to differentiate between players, they all stylistically looked similar for the most part. I remember Stephano in his ZvP specialist days, he had an aura about him that made you think 'holy shit, this guy's good'. DRG and Leenock have had that aura, Nestea has his legacy. Ret back in the day was known for his 'drone or die' approach to SC2. Life is a monster, and a few others but outside of that.

Hope that cleared my thoughts up. If you want Plansix I'll PM you if I can find the games I have in mind.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
_SpiRaL_
Profile Joined December 2012
Afghanistan1636 Posts
March 08 2013 17:01 GMT
#222
Meanwhile you could instantly tell foreign protoss apart?

Someone like bly got called a patchzerg and yet I havent seen a foreigner use so many bizarre builds as he does. But then hes just a gimmicky player who will get figured out if people actually paid attention to this.

So sad the community in this game. Players arent immune either. Look at cloud idra naniwa etc.
Red and yellow are all I see
MethodSC
Profile Joined December 2010
United States928 Posts
March 08 2013 17:17 GMT
#223
On March 08 2013 22:12 Brawny wrote:
Fuck...this thread is like a bug zapper.


Makes for a damn good read going through the pages though
MepHiii
Profile Joined March 2011
Poland191 Posts
March 08 2013 17:42 GMT
#224
On March 09 2013 02:17 MethodSC wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 08 2013 22:12 Brawny wrote:
Fuck...this thread is like a bug zapper.


Makes for a damn good read going through the pages though

really? personal preference then, i find these discussions about patchzergs or not super f*ing tiring and boring. thankfully after a few sites, you know which usernames are involved in these so you can just skip over most of these posts
AnomalySC2
Profile Joined August 2012
United States2073 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-08 17:47:05
March 08 2013 17:45 GMT
#225
On March 09 2013 00:30 Plansix wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 09 2013 00:22 AnomalySC2 wrote:
On March 09 2013 00:17 Plansix wrote:
On March 09 2013 00:06 AnomalySC2 wrote:
On March 09 2013 00:04 Pwnzer wrote:
This entire thread is a shithole and everyone is contributing. More than half of it isn't even commenting on what the thread was intended to discuss, I'm actually surprised there isn't a mod note yet.

Good Luck JRecc in finding a new team. Hopefully we get a statement from Dignitas soon so we can actually get two sides to the story.


Is it not natural progression for people to speculate on why he wasn't renewed for another contract?


Of course, but that doesn’t mean everyone should be a jerk about it. I personally hate the term “patch-zerg” because its thrown around for almost every zerg in the scene at this point. Even BitbyBitPrime didn’t get this much hate in the era of GomTvT, and he was the scrub of scrubs. I don’t know much about JonnyR, but a lot of the stuff in this thread is totally unwarranted and just people jumping on the hate-wagon.


Dude BitByBit was legendary, the fact that people even still bring him up shows just how much hate he received rofl. I actually kind of miss seeing his much maligned scv/marine allins every single game. Artosis' jokes on him were just epic.

Agreed though, I guess people could be a little less harsh on jonnyr.


Everyone loved BitbyBit, if only how amusing it was to watch him to the same thing over and over. He alone was proof that close positions were totally busted in all ways. Oh close positions on Metaloplis, how I loved you justifying me going one base colossi every game.

I will never defend the era of the “ggLords + winfestors”, but the hate in the community towards zerg players got way out of control. A lot of these players didn’t do anything and likely didn’t like building 25 infestors per game, but it as how the game was at the time. The community needs really clamp down on that stuff and not blame the player for playing the game they are presented with.

Unless they are an ass-hat about it. Then we can hate on them for being an ass-hat.


Close positions surely were busted when you had someone opening with an aggro build and the other guy opening with a hatch first instead of his own type of aggro. I wouldn't say that was a balance problem with the game, but rather with the mindset of zerg players. Imo you could link that mindset to the influence that was spread by players such as Idra/Artosis about how you should play "macro games" every game, or else you're a no skilled cheesy noob :D.

I used to view the game like that until I figured out just how wrong it is in SC2. That was a BW mindset, where the maps were huge and the game naturally favored big sprawling macro games. SC2 just wasn't built with that in mind. The goal was clearly to have players trading blows asap.
MrStorkie
Profile Joined April 2010
United Kingdom697 Posts
March 08 2013 17:47 GMT
#226
damn.. can't call him DJ Recco anymore
1a2a3a4z5z6d7d8d9p0p
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27415 Posts
March 08 2013 17:51 GMT
#227
On March 09 2013 02:45 AnomalySC2 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 09 2013 00:30 Plansix wrote:
On March 09 2013 00:22 AnomalySC2 wrote:
On March 09 2013 00:17 Plansix wrote:
On March 09 2013 00:06 AnomalySC2 wrote:
On March 09 2013 00:04 Pwnzer wrote:
This entire thread is a shithole and everyone is contributing. More than half of it isn't even commenting on what the thread was intended to discuss, I'm actually surprised there isn't a mod note yet.

Good Luck JRecc in finding a new team. Hopefully we get a statement from Dignitas soon so we can actually get two sides to the story.


Is it not natural progression for people to speculate on why he wasn't renewed for another contract?


Of course, but that doesn’t mean everyone should be a jerk about it. I personally hate the term “patch-zerg” because its thrown around for almost every zerg in the scene at this point. Even BitbyBitPrime didn’t get this much hate in the era of GomTvT, and he was the scrub of scrubs. I don’t know much about JonnyR, but a lot of the stuff in this thread is totally unwarranted and just people jumping on the hate-wagon.


Dude BitByBit was legendary, the fact that people even still bring him up shows just how much hate he received rofl. I actually kind of miss seeing his much maligned scv/marine allins every single game. Artosis' jokes on him were just epic.

Agreed though, I guess people could be a little less harsh on jonnyr.


Everyone loved BitbyBit, if only how amusing it was to watch him to the same thing over and over. He alone was proof that close positions were totally busted in all ways. Oh close positions on Metaloplis, how I loved you justifying me going one base colossi every game.

I will never defend the era of the “ggLords + winfestors”, but the hate in the community towards zerg players got way out of control. A lot of these players didn’t do anything and likely didn’t like building 25 infestors per game, but it as how the game was at the time. The community needs really clamp down on that stuff and not blame the player for playing the game they are presented with.

Unless they are an ass-hat about it. Then we can hate on them for being an ass-hat.


Close positions surely were busted when you had someone opening with an aggro build and the other guy opening with a hatch first instead of his own type of aggro. I wouldn't say that was a balance problem with the game, but rather with the mindset of zerg players. Imo you could link that mindset to the influence that was spread by players such as Idra/Artosis about how you should play "macro games" every game, or else you're a no skilled cheesy noob :D.

I used to view the game like that until I figured out just how wrong it is in SC2. That was a BW mindset, where the maps were huge and the game naturally favored big sprawling macro games. SC2 just wasn't built with that in mind. The goal was clearly to have players trading blows asap.

That mindset had the game patched to help the aforementioned 'macro play' which gave us horrible games imo. I like the balance between aggression and defense, greed and safe builds etc.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
March 08 2013 17:53 GMT
#228
On March 09 2013 02:51 Wombat_NI wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 09 2013 02:45 AnomalySC2 wrote:
On March 09 2013 00:30 Plansix wrote:
On March 09 2013 00:22 AnomalySC2 wrote:
On March 09 2013 00:17 Plansix wrote:
On March 09 2013 00:06 AnomalySC2 wrote:
On March 09 2013 00:04 Pwnzer wrote:
This entire thread is a shithole and everyone is contributing. More than half of it isn't even commenting on what the thread was intended to discuss, I'm actually surprised there isn't a mod note yet.

Good Luck JRecc in finding a new team. Hopefully we get a statement from Dignitas soon so we can actually get two sides to the story.


Is it not natural progression for people to speculate on why he wasn't renewed for another contract?


Of course, but that doesn’t mean everyone should be a jerk about it. I personally hate the term “patch-zerg” because its thrown around for almost every zerg in the scene at this point. Even BitbyBitPrime didn’t get this much hate in the era of GomTvT, and he was the scrub of scrubs. I don’t know much about JonnyR, but a lot of the stuff in this thread is totally unwarranted and just people jumping on the hate-wagon.


Dude BitByBit was legendary, the fact that people even still bring him up shows just how much hate he received rofl. I actually kind of miss seeing his much maligned scv/marine allins every single game. Artosis' jokes on him were just epic.

Agreed though, I guess people could be a little less harsh on jonnyr.


Everyone loved BitbyBit, if only how amusing it was to watch him to the same thing over and over. He alone was proof that close positions were totally busted in all ways. Oh close positions on Metaloplis, how I loved you justifying me going one base colossi every game.

I will never defend the era of the “ggLords + winfestors”, but the hate in the community towards zerg players got way out of control. A lot of these players didn’t do anything and likely didn’t like building 25 infestors per game, but it as how the game was at the time. The community needs really clamp down on that stuff and not blame the player for playing the game they are presented with.

Unless they are an ass-hat about it. Then we can hate on them for being an ass-hat.


Close positions surely were busted when you had someone opening with an aggro build and the other guy opening with a hatch first instead of his own type of aggro. I wouldn't say that was a balance problem with the game, but rather with the mindset of zerg players. Imo you could link that mindset to the influence that was spread by players such as Idra/Artosis about how you should play "macro games" every game, or else you're a no skilled cheesy noob :D.

I used to view the game like that until I figured out just how wrong it is in SC2. That was a BW mindset, where the maps were huge and the game naturally favored big sprawling macro games. SC2 just wasn't built with that in mind. The goal was clearly to have players trading blows asap.

That mindset had the game patched to help the aforementioned 'macro play' which gave us horrible games imo. I like the balance between aggression and defense, greed and safe builds etc.


It did go down a dark path of 200/200 armies and everyone having to play super safe. Lucky, HotS added the two things we all need, more abilites to be agressive and more abilites to scout said agression. Bringing back the risk of hatch first and 1 rax > cc will do great things for the game.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
AnomalySC2
Profile Joined August 2012
United States2073 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-08 17:55:51
March 08 2013 17:53 GMT
#229
On March 09 2013 02:51 Wombat_NI wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 09 2013 02:45 AnomalySC2 wrote:
On March 09 2013 00:30 Plansix wrote:
On March 09 2013 00:22 AnomalySC2 wrote:
On March 09 2013 00:17 Plansix wrote:
On March 09 2013 00:06 AnomalySC2 wrote:
On March 09 2013 00:04 Pwnzer wrote:
This entire thread is a shithole and everyone is contributing. More than half of it isn't even commenting on what the thread was intended to discuss, I'm actually surprised there isn't a mod note yet.

Good Luck JRecc in finding a new team. Hopefully we get a statement from Dignitas soon so we can actually get two sides to the story.


Is it not natural progression for people to speculate on why he wasn't renewed for another contract?


Of course, but that doesn’t mean everyone should be a jerk about it. I personally hate the term “patch-zerg” because its thrown around for almost every zerg in the scene at this point. Even BitbyBitPrime didn’t get this much hate in the era of GomTvT, and he was the scrub of scrubs. I don’t know much about JonnyR, but a lot of the stuff in this thread is totally unwarranted and just people jumping on the hate-wagon.


Dude BitByBit was legendary, the fact that people even still bring him up shows just how much hate he received rofl. I actually kind of miss seeing his much maligned scv/marine allins every single game. Artosis' jokes on him were just epic.

Agreed though, I guess people could be a little less harsh on jonnyr.


Everyone loved BitbyBit, if only how amusing it was to watch him to the same thing over and over. He alone was proof that close positions were totally busted in all ways. Oh close positions on Metaloplis, how I loved you justifying me going one base colossi every game.

I will never defend the era of the “ggLords + winfestors”, but the hate in the community towards zerg players got way out of control. A lot of these players didn’t do anything and likely didn’t like building 25 infestors per game, but it as how the game was at the time. The community needs really clamp down on that stuff and not blame the player for playing the game they are presented with.

Unless they are an ass-hat about it. Then we can hate on them for being an ass-hat.


Close positions surely were busted when you had someone opening with an aggro build and the other guy opening with a hatch first instead of his own type of aggro. I wouldn't say that was a balance problem with the game, but rather with the mindset of zerg players. Imo you could link that mindset to the influence that was spread by players such as Idra/Artosis about how you should play "macro games" every game, or else you're a no skilled cheesy noob :D.

I used to view the game like that until I figured out just how wrong it is in SC2. That was a BW mindset, where the maps were huge and the game naturally favored big sprawling macro games. SC2 just wasn't built with that in mind. The goal was clearly to have players trading blows asap.

That mindset had the game patched to help the aforementioned 'macro play' which gave us horrible games imo. I like the balance between aggression and defense, greed and safe builds etc.


Yep, as much as I hate to admit it, I'm gonna have to agree with you on that one. The game was changed into something it was never built to be, and it has suffered for it

Still, you have to admit it was a little too ridiculous at launch. It was insane trying to figure out how to deal with so many different builds and it ended up just being supremely frustrating. It all makes sense now, but back in the day it didn't at all.
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
March 08 2013 17:59 GMT
#230
On March 09 2013 02:53 AnomalySC2 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 09 2013 02:51 Wombat_NI wrote:
On March 09 2013 02:45 AnomalySC2 wrote:
On March 09 2013 00:30 Plansix wrote:
On March 09 2013 00:22 AnomalySC2 wrote:
On March 09 2013 00:17 Plansix wrote:
On March 09 2013 00:06 AnomalySC2 wrote:
On March 09 2013 00:04 Pwnzer wrote:
This entire thread is a shithole and everyone is contributing. More than half of it isn't even commenting on what the thread was intended to discuss, I'm actually surprised there isn't a mod note yet.

Good Luck JRecc in finding a new team. Hopefully we get a statement from Dignitas soon so we can actually get two sides to the story.


Is it not natural progression for people to speculate on why he wasn't renewed for another contract?


Of course, but that doesn’t mean everyone should be a jerk about it. I personally hate the term “patch-zerg” because its thrown around for almost every zerg in the scene at this point. Even BitbyBitPrime didn’t get this much hate in the era of GomTvT, and he was the scrub of scrubs. I don’t know much about JonnyR, but a lot of the stuff in this thread is totally unwarranted and just people jumping on the hate-wagon.


Dude BitByBit was legendary, the fact that people even still bring him up shows just how much hate he received rofl. I actually kind of miss seeing his much maligned scv/marine allins every single game. Artosis' jokes on him were just epic.

Agreed though, I guess people could be a little less harsh on jonnyr.


Everyone loved BitbyBit, if only how amusing it was to watch him to the same thing over and over. He alone was proof that close positions were totally busted in all ways. Oh close positions on Metaloplis, how I loved you justifying me going one base colossi every game.

I will never defend the era of the “ggLords + winfestors”, but the hate in the community towards zerg players got way out of control. A lot of these players didn’t do anything and likely didn’t like building 25 infestors per game, but it as how the game was at the time. The community needs really clamp down on that stuff and not blame the player for playing the game they are presented with.

Unless they are an ass-hat about it. Then we can hate on them for being an ass-hat.


Close positions surely were busted when you had someone opening with an aggro build and the other guy opening with a hatch first instead of his own type of aggro. I wouldn't say that was a balance problem with the game, but rather with the mindset of zerg players. Imo you could link that mindset to the influence that was spread by players such as Idra/Artosis about how you should play "macro games" every game, or else you're a no skilled cheesy noob :D.

I used to view the game like that until I figured out just how wrong it is in SC2. That was a BW mindset, where the maps were huge and the game naturally favored big sprawling macro games. SC2 just wasn't built with that in mind. The goal was clearly to have players trading blows asap.

That mindset had the game patched to help the aforementioned 'macro play' which gave us horrible games imo. I like the balance between aggression and defense, greed and safe builds etc.


Yep, as much as I hate to admit it, I'm gonna have to agree with you on that one. The game was changed into something it was never built to be, and it has suffered for it

Still, you have to admit it was a little too ridiculous at launch. It was insane trying to figure out how to deal with so many different builds and it ended up just being supremely frustrating. It all makes sense now, but back in the day it didn't at all.


Ah the good old days of playing protoss vs terran on smaller maps. "Well, he walled in with no early gas and killed my probe. So it is either: Fast cc, 4 rax or he is boxing all his workers and coming for me. Time to do the safest build possible and pray."

I could deal with it not being like that.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
AnomalySC2
Profile Joined August 2012
United States2073 Posts
March 08 2013 18:27 GMT
#231
On March 09 2013 02:59 Plansix wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 09 2013 02:53 AnomalySC2 wrote:
On March 09 2013 02:51 Wombat_NI wrote:
On March 09 2013 02:45 AnomalySC2 wrote:
On March 09 2013 00:30 Plansix wrote:
On March 09 2013 00:22 AnomalySC2 wrote:
On March 09 2013 00:17 Plansix wrote:
On March 09 2013 00:06 AnomalySC2 wrote:
On March 09 2013 00:04 Pwnzer wrote:
This entire thread is a shithole and everyone is contributing. More than half of it isn't even commenting on what the thread was intended to discuss, I'm actually surprised there isn't a mod note yet.

Good Luck JRecc in finding a new team. Hopefully we get a statement from Dignitas soon so we can actually get two sides to the story.


Is it not natural progression for people to speculate on why he wasn't renewed for another contract?


Of course, but that doesn’t mean everyone should be a jerk about it. I personally hate the term “patch-zerg” because its thrown around for almost every zerg in the scene at this point. Even BitbyBitPrime didn’t get this much hate in the era of GomTvT, and he was the scrub of scrubs. I don’t know much about JonnyR, but a lot of the stuff in this thread is totally unwarranted and just people jumping on the hate-wagon.


Dude BitByBit was legendary, the fact that people even still bring him up shows just how much hate he received rofl. I actually kind of miss seeing his much maligned scv/marine allins every single game. Artosis' jokes on him were just epic.

Agreed though, I guess people could be a little less harsh on jonnyr.


Everyone loved BitbyBit, if only how amusing it was to watch him to the same thing over and over. He alone was proof that close positions were totally busted in all ways. Oh close positions on Metaloplis, how I loved you justifying me going one base colossi every game.

I will never defend the era of the “ggLords + winfestors”, but the hate in the community towards zerg players got way out of control. A lot of these players didn’t do anything and likely didn’t like building 25 infestors per game, but it as how the game was at the time. The community needs really clamp down on that stuff and not blame the player for playing the game they are presented with.

Unless they are an ass-hat about it. Then we can hate on them for being an ass-hat.


Close positions surely were busted when you had someone opening with an aggro build and the other guy opening with a hatch first instead of his own type of aggro. I wouldn't say that was a balance problem with the game, but rather with the mindset of zerg players. Imo you could link that mindset to the influence that was spread by players such as Idra/Artosis about how you should play "macro games" every game, or else you're a no skilled cheesy noob :D.

I used to view the game like that until I figured out just how wrong it is in SC2. That was a BW mindset, where the maps were huge and the game naturally favored big sprawling macro games. SC2 just wasn't built with that in mind. The goal was clearly to have players trading blows asap.

That mindset had the game patched to help the aforementioned 'macro play' which gave us horrible games imo. I like the balance between aggression and defense, greed and safe builds etc.


Yep, as much as I hate to admit it, I'm gonna have to agree with you on that one. The game was changed into something it was never built to be, and it has suffered for it

Still, you have to admit it was a little too ridiculous at launch. It was insane trying to figure out how to deal with so many different builds and it ended up just being supremely frustrating. It all makes sense now, but back in the day it didn't at all.


Ah the good old days of playing protoss vs terran on smaller maps. "Well, he walled in with no early gas and killed my probe. So it is either: Fast cc, 4 rax or he is boxing all his workers and coming for me. Time to do the safest build possible and pray."

I could deal with it not being like that.


Indeed, it was a little too crazy trying to figure out what people were up to. But not like protoss didn't have insane aggressive options as well, cough cough 1 base void rays. Do you remember immortal busts from the beta, shivers. Or 1 food roaches......just lol.
Glioburd
Profile Joined April 2008
France1911 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-08 18:44:38
March 08 2013 18:43 GMT
#232
Good continuation to Dignitas. I used to like this team
"You should hate loosing, but you should never fear defeat." NaDa.
Godwrath
Profile Joined August 2012
Spain10165 Posts
March 08 2013 18:52 GMT
#233
On March 09 2013 02:01 _SpiRaL_ wrote:
Meanwhile you could instantly tell foreign protoss apart?

Someone like bly got called a patchzerg and yet I havent seen a foreigner use so many bizarre builds as he does. But then hes just a gimmicky player who will get figured out if people actually paid attention to this.

So sad the community in this game. Players arent immune either. Look at cloud idra naniwa etc.


That's obviously a missuse of the patchzerg reference. It's like argueing you shouldn't call apples apples, because somebody dares to call apples oranges.
-JoKeR-
Profile Joined November 2011
Canada387 Posts
March 08 2013 18:53 GMT
#234
His play wasn't anything special and it was pretty clear he benefited a lot from the Queen patch, at least he has some success during wol last year.

He has a shitty attitude and is incredibly bm, I don't like the kid as a result.

TotalBiscuit
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United Kingdom5437 Posts
March 08 2013 18:56 GMT
#235
On March 08 2013 16:28 gabbegubbe wrote:
If my name was John Bain, I would sign him.


Why would I sign a foreigner with a reputation for BM and very few results when I can get a Korean that can live in my team-house for the same price or cheaper? He's also way too young, I couldn't even send him anywhere and I'd have to sign a contract with his Dad not him. That's what'll be going through the heads of some recruiters right now.
CommentatorHost of SHOUTcraft Clan Wars- http://www.mlg.tv/shoutcraft
AnomalySC2
Profile Joined August 2012
United States2073 Posts
March 08 2013 19:11 GMT
#236
On March 09 2013 03:56 TotalBiscuit wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 08 2013 16:28 gabbegubbe wrote:
If my name was John Bain, I would sign him.


Why would I sign a foreigner with a reputation for BM and very few results when I can get a Korean that can live in my team-house for the same price or cheaper? He's also way too young, I couldn't even send him anywhere and I'd have to sign a contract with his Dad not him. That's what'll be going through the heads of some recruiters right now.


Yeah speaking of that, shouldn't he be in school or something? How old is he anyways.
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27415 Posts
March 08 2013 19:18 GMT
#237
16/17. He's probably done his GCSEs which are our equivalent of the American highschool diploma and is currently full time iirc
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
March 08 2013 19:26 GMT
#238
On March 09 2013 03:56 TotalBiscuit wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 08 2013 16:28 gabbegubbe wrote:
If my name was John Bain, I would sign him.


Why would I sign a foreigner with a reputation for BM and very few results when I can get a Korean that can live in my team-house for the same price or cheaper? He's also way too young, I couldn't even send him anywhere and I'd have to sign a contract with his Dad not him. That's what'll be going through the heads of some recruiters right now.


Ok, I didn’t know he wasn’t even a legal adult. I am all for kids competing for things, but they might not be mature enough to be on a team and competing that this level.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
c0sm0naut
Profile Joined April 2011
United States1229 Posts
March 08 2013 19:31 GMT
#239
I think mods need to start banning harder for people player bashing in threads like this. I have player bashed before, i will admit it, but there are some just straight up dumbass comments on the first page like "LOL what a patch zerg good riddance" etc. that should not be allowed at all. i think temp ban is not severe enough when people are coming into "player leaves x team" or "player joins x team" threads and just to call them patchzergs or what have you
Antylamon
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1981 Posts
March 08 2013 19:32 GMT
#240
On March 09 2013 04:11 AnomalySC2 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 09 2013 03:56 TotalBiscuit wrote:
On March 08 2013 16:28 gabbegubbe wrote:
If my name was John Bain, I would sign him.


Why would I sign a foreigner with a reputation for BM and very few results when I can get a Korean that can live in my team-house for the same price or cheaper? He's also way too young, I couldn't even send him anywhere and I'd have to sign a contract with his Dad not him. That's what'll be going through the heads of some recruiters right now.


Yeah speaking of that, shouldn't he be in school or something? How old is he anyways.

He dropped out, if I recall correctly.
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 14 17 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 18m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 532
UpATreeSC 104
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 1009
Dewaltoss 119
firebathero 86
Zeus 68
Trap 41
910 40
Bale 26
ToSsGirL 22
NaDa 20
JYJ 16
[ Show more ]
Shine 15
Dota 2
Gorgc6477
420jenkins251
monkeys_forever0
Counter-Strike
pashabiceps1438
edward105
Super Smash Bros
ArmadaUGS125
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu2081
Other Games
summit1g5171
Grubby2916
Beastyqt648
B2W.Neo642
byalli406
shahzam364
KnowMe176
C9.Mang0152
TKL 138
Railgan16
Chillindude15
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV267
BasetradeTV228
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream110
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 10
• Reevou 7
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki32
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Shiphtur374
• WagamamaTV279
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
4h 18m
Kung Fu Cup
15h 18m
Stellar Fest
17h 18m
The PondCast
1d 14h
OSC
1d 17h
OSC
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.