• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:03
CEST 09:03
KST 16:03
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War435.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror TL Sidebar missing streams Bot on ladder Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9312 users

TLPD Winrates May 2012 - Page 16

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 14 15 16 17 18 71 Next
SeaSwift
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Scotland4486 Posts
June 07 2012 15:43 GMT
#301
On June 08 2012 00:31 Shiori wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 08 2012 00:27 SeaSwift wrote:
On June 08 2012 00:19 Gosi wrote:
On June 08 2012 00:00 -orb- wrote:
I doubt pvz will still be p favored once june winrates show up

Game is being butchered. TvZ used to be so sick

At least PvT is getting better and better. Such a fun matchup to watch nowadays :D

Do you mean that the game is being butchered just because of Blizzard's patching or do you think it's also because of the game design that allows the current meta being like it is? With that I mean like the ZvT 2 evo mass ling infestor style and the 12 min 200/200 roach ZvP that both made the matchups alot less exciting to watch and play (imo)?

The only non-mirror matchup that actually have evolved for the good is PvT like you said. It still has its problems because of Blizzard's design of Protoss and some Terran units but compare it to one year ago and it's fucking great. Can't say the same about TvZ and ZvP tho. TvZ went from really fucking good to very stale and ZvP is actually completely broken design vise.


12 min 200/200 Roach army multipronged aggression against a Protoss trying to take a 3rd base is fucking amazing to watch. It suits the whole swarm vs elite warrior thing and is really tense. Take, for example, MC vs DRG Game 1 from MLG Spring Arena 1, with DRG poking in everywhere with Roaches and MC struggling to hold on for dear life until he could get his 3rd up and running.


I have no idea how you find it amazing to watch. The onus is entirely on the Protoss to actually Forcefield correctly, have the perfect composition of units, and not mess up at all. What you call "multipronged aggression" is basically just hotkeying 2 groups of Roaches and a-moving them at the same time. Riveting. Sorry, that sounds harsh, but it's true. 3base Roach takes almost no skill to execute. The difference between a GM player with perfect macro executing it and Stephano executing it is practically nothing, except maybe Stephano knows when to pull back.


If you think it requires just a-moving, you don't watch enough high-level PvZ. MC vs Stephano/DRG, either way it is definitely not a-moving.
Jaegeru
Profile Joined February 2012
United Kingdom676 Posts
June 07 2012 15:43 GMT
#302
As a terran i'm not going to take these too seriously at the moment before this weekend's MLG.

If terran struggles to place well at MLG then alarm bells will start to ring.
MVP on winning his Fourth GSL - "Yeah I know the routine, take the flowers and cheque, I will kiss the trophy for the photo"
avilo
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
United States4100 Posts
June 07 2012 15:43 GMT
#303
I sense them reverting the queen change very soon.
Sup
SeaSwift
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Scotland4486 Posts
June 07 2012 15:45 GMT
#304
On June 08 2012 00:43 avilo wrote:
I sense them reverting the queen change very soon.


What do you think about Korean PvT, avilo?

Like I even need to ask..
Dodgin
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Canada39254 Posts
June 07 2012 15:46 GMT
#305
Can't wait to see June, probably going to be 75% zvt in Korea unless something crazy happens in code S.
Ryze
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada234 Posts
June 07 2012 15:47 GMT
#306
ahhhhhh terran tears yum yum yum

almost washes away the bitter taste of those 5 rax reaper and thor dropping the cliff on LT days :p
www.twitch.tv/colryze twitter.com/colryze acelessons.com/lessons/colryze/
IshinShishi
Profile Joined April 2012
Japan6156 Posts
June 07 2012 15:47 GMT
#307
On June 08 2012 00:42 boxturtle wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 08 2012 00:32 imanoobcs wrote:
This thread is a joke. And here is why:

1. The sample size is way to small to make assumptions. I see TvZ in Korea being the most complained about. It is probably based on about 20 games and a difference of 4-5 wins would show those kinds of results.

2. The new patch has not fully been seen in gameplay. Terran still rushes to hellions against a unit that was buffed to counter them. As soon as terran switches up their gameplay, the W/L will level out. Zerg had to do it many times as well,dont complain mini Jim Raynors.

3. This is the 3rd time zerg has been ahead of terran in the last year in korea. In fact in Feb. the W/L was almost exactly opposite. Also, overall terran is not out of line in W/L.

Give it time and stop complaining. Most of you havent done anything to change your approach to the matchup besides adding QQ.


Since that data came, Zerg has gone 9-0 against Terran in GSTL. Statistically speaking, it's going to be worse than 5rax reaper when the numbers hit full swing.

He said the graphs were "probably based on about 20 games", guy can't even read, ignorable in my books.
So... what that make you? Good? You're not good. You just know how to hide, how to lie
Shiori
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
3815 Posts
June 07 2012 15:48 GMT
#308
On June 08 2012 00:43 SeaSwift wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 08 2012 00:31 Shiori wrote:
On June 08 2012 00:27 SeaSwift wrote:
On June 08 2012 00:19 Gosi wrote:
On June 08 2012 00:00 -orb- wrote:
I doubt pvz will still be p favored once june winrates show up

Game is being butchered. TvZ used to be so sick

At least PvT is getting better and better. Such a fun matchup to watch nowadays :D

Do you mean that the game is being butchered just because of Blizzard's patching or do you think it's also because of the game design that allows the current meta being like it is? With that I mean like the ZvT 2 evo mass ling infestor style and the 12 min 200/200 roach ZvP that both made the matchups alot less exciting to watch and play (imo)?

The only non-mirror matchup that actually have evolved for the good is PvT like you said. It still has its problems because of Blizzard's design of Protoss and some Terran units but compare it to one year ago and it's fucking great. Can't say the same about TvZ and ZvP tho. TvZ went from really fucking good to very stale and ZvP is actually completely broken design vise.


12 min 200/200 Roach army multipronged aggression against a Protoss trying to take a 3rd base is fucking amazing to watch. It suits the whole swarm vs elite warrior thing and is really tense. Take, for example, MC vs DRG Game 1 from MLG Spring Arena 1, with DRG poking in everywhere with Roaches and MC struggling to hold on for dear life until he could get his 3rd up and running.


I have no idea how you find it amazing to watch. The onus is entirely on the Protoss to actually Forcefield correctly, have the perfect composition of units, and not mess up at all. What you call "multipronged aggression" is basically just hotkeying 2 groups of Roaches and a-moving them at the same time. Riveting. Sorry, that sounds harsh, but it's true. 3base Roach takes almost no skill to execute. The difference between a GM player with perfect macro executing it and Stephano executing it is practically nothing, except maybe Stephano knows when to pull back.


If you think it requires just a-moving, you don't watch enough high-level PvZ. MC vs Stephano/DRG, either way it is definitely not a-moving.

MC is my favourite Protoss. I follow every single one of his games, and I distinctly remember MC vs Stephano and DRG. The Zerg puts comparatively little effort into executing 3base Roach than the Protoss does in holding it. And yeah, what else do you do with Roaches besides a-move? They're Roaches. There's not a whole lot of micro you can do with them besides target firing the odd Immortal and baiting Forcefields. It's really not that interesting. There's a reason why I said "basically" in my description of 3base Roach. Yes, there are little bells and whistles that makes the build slightly more effective, but the micro skill of the Zerg player has practically nothing to do with whether the build succeeds or fails. Compare the Protoss player. If I give some mediocre Protoss the correct army composition to deal with 3base Roach, whether he defends it depends ENTIRELY on his ability to engage, split, and Forcefield correctly. Obviously a really good Zerg is going to be better at executing 3base Roach than a bad one, but the difference isn't as big.
Sankanyo
Profile Joined August 2011
United States140 Posts
June 07 2012 15:48 GMT
#309
Haha, the races in Korea is like rock, paper, scissors.

Terran beats protoss but lose to zerg.
Protoss beats zerg but lose to terran.
Zerg beats terran but lose to protoss.

Terran > Protoss > Zerg > Terran

Rock > Scissors > Paper > Rock

Deleted User 137586
Profile Joined January 2011
7859 Posts
June 07 2012 15:50 GMT
#310
On June 08 2012 00:46 Dodgin wrote:
Can't wait to see June, probably going to be 75% zvt in Korea unless something crazy happens in code S.


That's statistically improbable, but the trend should indeed continue.
Cry 'havoc' and let slip the dogs of war
Scootaloo
Profile Joined January 2012
655 Posts
June 07 2012 15:51 GMT
#311
On June 08 2012 00:26 Shiori wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 08 2012 00:24 Scootaloo wrote:
On June 08 2012 00:17 Chunhyang wrote:
On June 08 2012 00:03 Scootaloo wrote:
The terrans qq'ing in here need to stop it and actually start thinking of new crap, matchups change, deal with it.

For a race that has been at the top for practically the entire game you're all acting absolutely pathetic, after a 2 month of slight international imbalance and some meaningless korean statistics, terran has by far the most versatility in design, use it.
Or qq and switch race, you'll have to do so again when the balance inevitably changes again though.

Or just play random :D


No race has a "right" to be imbalanced. The fact that Terran has been strongest the longest is irrelevant. If zerg is imbalanced, the race should be nerfed. Simple.


There is no right to be imbalanced, nor did I assert there was, the concept of moral right or wrong is completely irrelevant to the issue at hand.

What there is though is history, and from that we know that usually by the time Blizzard fixes something the pro's have already found ways to deal with it.
Often times terrans call out toss or zerg on being balance whiners, yet when the tables are reversed they cry even harder, even after 2 months, wanna read up on the history of zerg balance?

PvZ has been a walkover in the lategame for upwards of 6 months. I've been saying that BL/Infestor is unbeatable for ages now, and still people are unwilling to believe it because "this one time" someone landed and Archon Toilet. Forgive me if I have no more patience for Zerg arguments.


Not really a zerg argument, not am I a zerg player, but in these 2 years zerg has, especially in the beginning had some really hard times that could take as much as half a year for blizzard to do anything for.
Protoss had some tough times as well ofcourse, but I got the impression zerg was weaker for longer, even though that time is absolutely not recent.
avilo
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
United States4100 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-07 15:53:31
June 07 2012 15:52 GMT
#312
On June 08 2012 00:45 SeaSwift wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 08 2012 00:43 avilo wrote:
I sense them reverting the queen change very soon.


What do you think about Korean PvT, avilo?

Like I even need to ask..


It's obvious - there's still a lategame issue there regardless of the stats. I predict the PvT korean winrate to go back and forth between 55%-45% to 45%-55% many times, mostly because most of the time Terran wins before the 15 minute mark, or Protoss wins after that mark. Does that mean the match-up is fine and dandy and balanced?

Not really. Because they still have done nothing to address the lategame TvP/TvZ. No race should *have* to do damage or be put at a free disadvantage. Every race should have equal opportunity to play a defensive macro style into lategame and not be put at a disadvantage.

Terran early-mid game is strong, but contrary to popular belief/myth, Protoss/Zerg also have incredibly strong early-mid game/all-ins as well, so that argument does not fly anymore. Lategame T needs to be looked at.

The stats are a bit more telling for TvZ that the queen change was way overkill obviously.
Sup
Shiori
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
3815 Posts
June 07 2012 15:52 GMT
#313
On June 08 2012 00:51 Scootaloo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 08 2012 00:26 Shiori wrote:
On June 08 2012 00:24 Scootaloo wrote:
On June 08 2012 00:17 Chunhyang wrote:
On June 08 2012 00:03 Scootaloo wrote:
The terrans qq'ing in here need to stop it and actually start thinking of new crap, matchups change, deal with it.

For a race that has been at the top for practically the entire game you're all acting absolutely pathetic, after a 2 month of slight international imbalance and some meaningless korean statistics, terran has by far the most versatility in design, use it.
Or qq and switch race, you'll have to do so again when the balance inevitably changes again though.

Or just play random :D


No race has a "right" to be imbalanced. The fact that Terran has been strongest the longest is irrelevant. If zerg is imbalanced, the race should be nerfed. Simple.


There is no right to be imbalanced, nor did I assert there was, the concept of moral right or wrong is completely irrelevant to the issue at hand.

What there is though is history, and from that we know that usually by the time Blizzard fixes something the pro's have already found ways to deal with it.
Often times terrans call out toss or zerg on being balance whiners, yet when the tables are reversed they cry even harder, even after 2 months, wanna read up on the history of zerg balance?

PvZ has been a walkover in the lategame for upwards of 6 months. I've been saying that BL/Infestor is unbeatable for ages now, and still people are unwilling to believe it because "this one time" someone landed and Archon Toilet. Forgive me if I have no more patience for Zerg arguments.


Not really a zerg argument, not am I a zerg player, but in these 2 years zerg has, especially in the beginning had some really hard times that could take as much as half a year for blizzard to do anything for.
Protoss had some tough times as well ofcourse, but I got the impression zerg was weaker for longer, even though that time is absolutely not recent.

Oh I don't deny that. I'm not advocating a return to the days of getting a 200/200 deathball and walking over Roach/Hydra/Corruptor. I just want to be able to actually fight Infestor/BL, for one, and have variable openings that don't auto-lose to 3base Roach, for two.
Noocta
Profile Joined June 2010
France12578 Posts
June 07 2012 15:53 GMT
#314
On June 08 2012 00:43 avilo wrote:
I sense them reverting the queen change very soon.


They wont do that.
Blizzard don't think like that.

Queen buff was too much ? Let's buff something for Terran instead of doing the smart thing on reverting what caused the problem. "
" I'm not gonna fight you. I'm gonna kick your ass ! "
SeaSwift
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Scotland4486 Posts
June 07 2012 15:54 GMT
#315
On June 08 2012 00:48 Shiori wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 08 2012 00:43 SeaSwift wrote:
On June 08 2012 00:31 Shiori wrote:
On June 08 2012 00:27 SeaSwift wrote:
On June 08 2012 00:19 Gosi wrote:
On June 08 2012 00:00 -orb- wrote:
I doubt pvz will still be p favored once june winrates show up

Game is being butchered. TvZ used to be so sick

At least PvT is getting better and better. Such a fun matchup to watch nowadays :D

Do you mean that the game is being butchered just because of Blizzard's patching or do you think it's also because of the game design that allows the current meta being like it is? With that I mean like the ZvT 2 evo mass ling infestor style and the 12 min 200/200 roach ZvP that both made the matchups alot less exciting to watch and play (imo)?

The only non-mirror matchup that actually have evolved for the good is PvT like you said. It still has its problems because of Blizzard's design of Protoss and some Terran units but compare it to one year ago and it's fucking great. Can't say the same about TvZ and ZvP tho. TvZ went from really fucking good to very stale and ZvP is actually completely broken design vise.


12 min 200/200 Roach army multipronged aggression against a Protoss trying to take a 3rd base is fucking amazing to watch. It suits the whole swarm vs elite warrior thing and is really tense. Take, for example, MC vs DRG Game 1 from MLG Spring Arena 1, with DRG poking in everywhere with Roaches and MC struggling to hold on for dear life until he could get his 3rd up and running.


I have no idea how you find it amazing to watch. The onus is entirely on the Protoss to actually Forcefield correctly, have the perfect composition of units, and not mess up at all. What you call "multipronged aggression" is basically just hotkeying 2 groups of Roaches and a-moving them at the same time. Riveting. Sorry, that sounds harsh, but it's true. 3base Roach takes almost no skill to execute. The difference between a GM player with perfect macro executing it and Stephano executing it is practically nothing, except maybe Stephano knows when to pull back.


If you think it requires just a-moving, you don't watch enough high-level PvZ. MC vs Stephano/DRG, either way it is definitely not a-moving.

MC is my favourite Protoss. I follow every single one of his games, and I distinctly remember MC vs Stephano and DRG. The Zerg puts comparatively little effort into executing 3base Roach than the Protoss does in holding it. And yeah, what else do you do with Roaches besides a-move? They're Roaches. There's not a whole lot of micro you can do with them besides target firing the odd Immortal and baiting Forcefields. It's really not that interesting. There's a reason why I said "basically" in my description of 3base Roach. Yes, there are little bells and whistles that makes the build slightly more effective, but the micro skill of the Zerg player has practically nothing to do with whether the build succeeds or fails. Compare the Protoss player. If I give some mediocre Protoss the correct army composition to deal with 3base Roach, whether he defends it depends ENTIRELY on his ability to engage, split, and Forcefield correctly. Obviously a really good Zerg is going to be better at executing 3base Roach than a bad one, but the difference isn't as big.


I understand where you are coming from now - Stephano can certainly execute a 12-min Roach Rush better than most, but the difference isn't as big as, say, an MMA drop-based play vs a standard TvZ drop-based play.

I think the difference is bigger than you think. Not just in micro, but in macro. Stephano's injects are normally so spot-on that his max occurs before others, and his understanding of when to attack the Protoss and when to build up are big too.

Tell you what I think (hope) is going to happen with the matchup: you said MC was your favourite Protoss. Did you see MC vs Symbol at the last MLG Spring Arena? The first game, I think, in which Symbol used that drop-play. I want THAT to be the standard. Ideally, Roach/baneling (I know he didn't really use blings) drop play vs Protoss 3base, that requires multitasking from both sides.

I still disagree how much skill goes into the Zerg side of things, but I can understand why you don't find it interesting.
IshinShishi
Profile Joined April 2012
Japan6156 Posts
June 07 2012 15:54 GMT
#316
On June 08 2012 00:53 Noocta wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 08 2012 00:43 avilo wrote:
I sense them reverting the queen change very soon.


They wont do that.
Blizzard don't think like that.

Queen buff was too much ? Let's buff something for Terran instead of doing the smart thing on reverting what caused the problem. "

Yes, buff the bunker design and nerf the building time, problem solved.
So... what that make you? Good? You're not good. You just know how to hide, how to lie
JustPassingBy
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
10776 Posts
June 07 2012 15:55 GMT
#317
On June 08 2012 00:48 Sankanyo wrote:
Haha, the races in Korea is like rock, paper, scissors.

Terran beats protoss but lose to zerg.
Protoss beats zerg but lose to terran.
Zerg beats terran but lose to protoss.

Terran > Protoss > Zerg > Terran

Rock > Scissors > Paper > Rock



Unless you are in the Kespa, there it is Protoss >> all. Or at least it has been, haven't been in touch with the recent games.

And yeah, the players in Kespa are not playing at the very top level, but still, having a game that is relatively balanced throughout the skill levels would be nice. Not that it is possible though, I still think that terran mech with autorepair is imba as shit in ZvT at low levels (which is why I play it). ^.^
Dodgin
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Canada39254 Posts
June 07 2012 15:56 GMT
#318
On June 08 2012 00:52 avilo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 08 2012 00:45 SeaSwift wrote:
On June 08 2012 00:43 avilo wrote:
I sense them reverting the queen change very soon.


What do you think about Korean PvT, avilo?

Like I even need to ask..


It's obvious - there's still a lategame issue there regardless of the stats. I predict the PvT korean winrate to go back and forth between 55%-45% to 45%-55% many times, mostly because most of the time Terran wins before the 15 minute mark, or Protoss wins after that mark. Does that mean the match-up is fine and dandy and balanced?

Not really. Because they still have done nothing to address the lategame TvP/TvZ. No race should *have* to do damage or be put at a free disadvantage. Every race should have equal opportunity to play a defensive macro style into lategame and not be put at a disadvantage.

Terran early-mid game is strong, but contrary to popular belief/myth, Protoss/Zerg also have incredibly strong early-mid game/all-ins as well, so that argument does not fly anymore. Lategame T needs to be looked at.

The stats are a bit more telling for TvZ that the queen change was way overkill obviously.


Talking about late-game TvZ and TvP, what do you think possible fixes are? Buffing Terran t3? ( un-nerfing snipe? buff bc? buff raven? ) or nerfing the other races?
Shiori
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
3815 Posts
June 07 2012 15:58 GMT
#319
On June 08 2012 00:54 SeaSwift wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 08 2012 00:48 Shiori wrote:
On June 08 2012 00:43 SeaSwift wrote:
On June 08 2012 00:31 Shiori wrote:
On June 08 2012 00:27 SeaSwift wrote:
On June 08 2012 00:19 Gosi wrote:
On June 08 2012 00:00 -orb- wrote:
I doubt pvz will still be p favored once june winrates show up

Game is being butchered. TvZ used to be so sick

At least PvT is getting better and better. Such a fun matchup to watch nowadays :D

Do you mean that the game is being butchered just because of Blizzard's patching or do you think it's also because of the game design that allows the current meta being like it is? With that I mean like the ZvT 2 evo mass ling infestor style and the 12 min 200/200 roach ZvP that both made the matchups alot less exciting to watch and play (imo)?

The only non-mirror matchup that actually have evolved for the good is PvT like you said. It still has its problems because of Blizzard's design of Protoss and some Terran units but compare it to one year ago and it's fucking great. Can't say the same about TvZ and ZvP tho. TvZ went from really fucking good to very stale and ZvP is actually completely broken design vise.


12 min 200/200 Roach army multipronged aggression against a Protoss trying to take a 3rd base is fucking amazing to watch. It suits the whole swarm vs elite warrior thing and is really tense. Take, for example, MC vs DRG Game 1 from MLG Spring Arena 1, with DRG poking in everywhere with Roaches and MC struggling to hold on for dear life until he could get his 3rd up and running.


I have no idea how you find it amazing to watch. The onus is entirely on the Protoss to actually Forcefield correctly, have the perfect composition of units, and not mess up at all. What you call "multipronged aggression" is basically just hotkeying 2 groups of Roaches and a-moving them at the same time. Riveting. Sorry, that sounds harsh, but it's true. 3base Roach takes almost no skill to execute. The difference between a GM player with perfect macro executing it and Stephano executing it is practically nothing, except maybe Stephano knows when to pull back.


If you think it requires just a-moving, you don't watch enough high-level PvZ. MC vs Stephano/DRG, either way it is definitely not a-moving.

MC is my favourite Protoss. I follow every single one of his games, and I distinctly remember MC vs Stephano and DRG. The Zerg puts comparatively little effort into executing 3base Roach than the Protoss does in holding it. And yeah, what else do you do with Roaches besides a-move? They're Roaches. There's not a whole lot of micro you can do with them besides target firing the odd Immortal and baiting Forcefields. It's really not that interesting. There's a reason why I said "basically" in my description of 3base Roach. Yes, there are little bells and whistles that makes the build slightly more effective, but the micro skill of the Zerg player has practically nothing to do with whether the build succeeds or fails. Compare the Protoss player. If I give some mediocre Protoss the correct army composition to deal with 3base Roach, whether he defends it depends ENTIRELY on his ability to engage, split, and Forcefield correctly. Obviously a really good Zerg is going to be better at executing 3base Roach than a bad one, but the difference isn't as big.


I understand where you are coming from now - Stephano can certainly execute a 12-min Roach Rush better than most, but the difference isn't as big as, say, an MMA drop-based play vs a standard TvZ drop-based play.

I think the difference is bigger than you think. Not just in micro, but in macro. Stephano's injects are normally so spot-on that his max occurs before others, and his understanding of when to attack the Protoss and when to build up are big too.

Tell you what I think (hope) is going to happen with the matchup: you said MC was your favourite Protoss. Did you see MC vs Symbol at the last MLG Spring Arena? The first game, I think, in which Symbol used that drop-play. I want THAT to be the standard. Ideally, Roach/baneling (I know he didn't really use blings) drop play vs Protoss 3base, that requires multitasking from both sides.

I still disagree how much skill goes into the Zerg side of things, but I can understand why you don't find it interesting.

I'd love to see more creative games like the one from Symbol. Now there's a Zerg player I can respect for having innovative ideas. The problem I have with players like Stephano (don't get me wrong, he's very good) is that they basically just abuse the fact that Protoss needs to stick to a very certain sort of structure to win in PvZ. It's all about safely taking a third base, and Zergs have realized that there are very effective ways to pressure that third without necessarily being open to all-ins and without even cutting back on their ability to macro. I don't like that at all. If a Protoss can't take a third, he has to all-in off of two bases, obviously. Well, if the only way Protoss can take a third is with a lot of Sentries and Immortals, then Zerg players can go into the game knowing exactly what the Protoss is going to do if they want to macro.

I don't get that same feeling when I play against Zergs. I might know they're going to macro if I don't scout an all-in, but for all I know they could go Muta or Infestor/Ling or fast Hive. Yes, I can scout these things, but I'm still restricted to the sub-optimal opener I had to use in order to be safe just in case they went 3base Roach. Unlike Zerg builds like 3base Roach itself, Protoss doesn't have a secure build that doesn't limit its options. If I go Robo first, it means I have a later Blink. If I go Stargate into Robo, it means I have a SUPER late Blink. If I go Blink into Robo, it means I'm more vulnerable to 3base Roach in general.
RUS RO DAH!!!
Profile Joined February 2012
United States277 Posts
June 07 2012 15:58 GMT
#320
Suddenly I don't feel so bad about MVP, MKP and MMA losing to random zergs in various team leagues anymore.
Prev 1 14 15 16 17 18 71 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 58m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Free 973
BeSt 298
sorry 83
Mind 68
Soma 49
Bale 23
ZergMaN 14
ajuk12(nOOB) 8
Shuttle 0
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm197
League of Legends
JimRising 657
Other Games
summit1g10596
Coldzera 713
WinterStarcraft691
C9.Mang0306
Sick194
febbydoto10
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick696
BasetradeTV222
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2208
Other Games
• Shiphtur717
Upcoming Events
Big Brain Bouts
2h 58m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
Online Event
4h 58m
AI Arena Tournament
9h 58m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
11h 58m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 2h
Patches Events
1d 7h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 11h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 11h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.