• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:40
CEST 08:40
KST 15:40
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BSL Season 23 Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder BW General Discussion RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8751 users

Psych approach to ladder anxiety - Page 6

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 19 Next All
Ballack
Profile Joined April 2010
Norway821 Posts
December 22 2011 17:54 GMT
#101
Great write-up. Luckily I no longer have this problem, but I know it is a big problem for many.
Just when I thought I was out, Blizz pulled me back in..
kabar
Profile Joined November 2010
United States616 Posts
December 22 2011 17:58 GMT
#102
an educated and insightful writeup on ladder anxiety. i usually don't read many threads about this but this one was really interesting. and protoss ass tattoo made me laugh. excellent.
Apolo
Profile Joined May 2010
Portugal1259 Posts
December 22 2011 18:23 GMT
#103
Demoting myself to one league lower, relieved me a lot of anxiety. Suddenly the worst that could happen, happened, and on purpose. I could then focus on playing without really fearing demotion, as i knew i wouldn't get demoted again for sure.

Your second paragraph explainst exactly what i've been saying countless times. SC2 is kind of brutal. Focus on 1v1's, public ranking that gives you your worth in the game. "if you play bad you suck, and everyone will be able to go to your profile and see how much you suck".
shadogi
Profile Joined November 2011
United States194 Posts
December 22 2011 22:29 GMT
#104
Awesome write-up! My ladder fear is slowing going down thanks to this. The biggest help for me is the mantra: "My current skill is plat, but my future skill is Master's and that's OK".

Thanks again! This really was very helpful.
berenoune
Profile Joined December 2011
Philippines5 Posts
December 22 2011 23:32 GMT
#105
nice read! tewai!
12/19/X1
eraft
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Singapore28 Posts
December 22 2011 23:46 GMT
#106
Most of my casual friends stop playing as they do no want to loss and they just dun want to improve. Instead of fear, they totally just gave up.
HaruRH
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Singapore2780 Posts
December 22 2011 23:56 GMT
#107
On December 23 2011 08:46 eraft wrote:
Most of my casual friends stop playing as they do no want to loss and they just dun want to improve. Instead of fear, they totally just gave up.


Most of us SG seems to give up on StarCraft 2 due to ladder anxiety :/ My friends gave up on SC2 due to the same problem. He rather run and play other games than feel this fear.
It is fucking D4 and you are still alive as a CONFIRMED FUCKING TOWN. This is how fucking terrible scum thinks you are - Koshi
Penecks
Profile Joined August 2010
United States600 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-23 00:22:43
December 23 2011 00:08 GMT
#108
A while back I made this graphic which I feel might explain why people sometimes don't like to ladder in this game, maybe it still rings true here:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


For some context, I guess I'm discouraged somewhat by the treadmill feeling of the ladder; I'm already in masters, even if I improve I won't make it to GM, if I lose I feel bad/discouraged, if I win it's just "meh, look how many mistakes the opponent made" and its hardly satisfying. If I'm in the top 2% of CS players and I join a server, I'm probably gonna be topping the scoreboard and doing pretty damn well for my team. If I'm in the top 2% of starcraft players and I join a ladder game I still have a 50% chance to lose the same way a silver player might. Maybe this is a different topic than "ladder fear", however, I'm wondering if others feel the same.
straight poppin
attwell
Profile Joined July 2011
United States220 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-23 00:54:08
December 23 2011 00:53 GMT
#109
Good read.

I don't entirely agree with you when you equate ladder fear/anxiety to an unexpected adrenaline response. I feel some anxiety before a match, but my heart doesn't start pounding and my palms don't get sweaty until I actually start to do engagements and have to micro and make decisions. I'm not sure if you are completely equating them or not, they are definitely pretty distinct, though related reactions.

The adrenaline response for me is a response to my opponent's aggression or decisions, whereas any anxiety I feel is before a game and is probably due to, as you explain, unrealistic negative appraisals.

Definitely going to reread this before I start playing later tonight.
ObliviousNA
Profile Joined March 2011
United States535 Posts
December 23 2011 01:09 GMT
#110
That was a damn good read, thank you.
Theory is when you know everything but nothing works. Practice is when everything works but no one knows why. In our lab, theory and practice are combined: nothing works and no one knows why.
Zombo Joe
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada850 Posts
December 23 2011 01:18 GMT
#111
I can vouch for this OP, his teachings allowed me to get over my ladder anxiety today. I did my placement match and I got promoted to masters.
I am Terranfying.
windsupernova
Profile Joined October 2010
Mexico5280 Posts
December 23 2011 03:34 GMT
#112
Nice thanks for the writeup.

Hopefully this helps people with ladder fear. I don´t play much anymore because of LOL reallife but I can see this helping tons of people
"Its easy, just trust your CPU".-Boxer on being good at games
SuperEight
Profile Joined December 2011
United States333 Posts
December 23 2011 05:01 GMT
#113
Wow. This write-up is pretty impressive. You hit the nail right on the head, my friend. I've known more than a few people who say that they don't like to play on the ladder. Why?

"Losing is frustrating."

I think WhiteRa said it best:

"When I starting play, I very disappointing and very sad after my lose. If you want to make one goal to win, you must lose. You can't win all games. We are people. You make mistake. You are not computer. And if you understand your mistake when you lose, you can just make analysis game and continue to play and try to fix it, and it's not problem. More, more GG. More skill."

Source

This kind of thinking has taught me to take every loss in stride. I don't fear defeat any longer. Whether I win or lose, I will continue to grow as a player.
To rest is to rust; to be active is to achieve.
eccokk
Profile Joined September 2011
Germany38 Posts
December 23 2011 05:31 GMT
#114
the main problem with sc2 ( or more like all 1on1 games ) is that by definition 100% of the time one player has to lose.

no one likes losing, thats why the most played game of all time is wow, becouse 90% of it is co-op vs ai where the ai takes the dumb part of the loser. in games as dota you can at least blame your "Noobteamates" for the lose while in quake or sc you know its all becouse you suck




partysnatcher
Profile Joined August 2010
156 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-23 09:55:17
December 23 2011 09:17 GMT
#115
On December 23 2011 14:31 eccokk wrote:
the main problem with sc2 ( or more like all 1on1 games ) is that by definition 100% of the time one player has to lose.

no one likes losing, thats why the most played game of all time is wow, becouse 90% of it is co-op vs ai where the ai takes the dumb part of the loser. in games as dota you can at least blame your "Noobteamates" for the lose while in quake or sc you know its all becouse you suck


Agreed. And like you say, WoW developers have been extremely adept at making people think they have accomplished something.

Another aspect is that the typical ladder gamer almost only plays sets of BO1s, which creates this absurd situation where after one single win, you may think that you are better than your opponent (and assume that your opponent thinks the same when he wins over you). While in reality, very few people would acknowledge a BO1 win in a real tournament situation as anything but a coinflip.
Hossinaut
Profile Joined June 2011
United States453 Posts
December 23 2011 09:20 GMT
#116
I dont understand ladder anxiety, but I can relate to one's ego being tied up in how one performs.

Good read, applicable knowledge. Thanks for the write up
wellAdjusted
Profile Joined June 2011
United Kingdom65 Posts
December 23 2011 09:52 GMT
#117
People who don't understand ladder anxiety vastly overestimate the rational brain's control over the body. A person can decide conciously that they're fine with losing and they just have to play more to improve, but that won't stop their scumbag subconciouse turning their gut into a chemical toilet.
"Rock is imba, but paper is ok..." - Scissors
Camlito
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
Australia4040 Posts
December 23 2011 10:20 GMT
#118
I study psychology myself (less than you have ) and i still got a lot out of this.

Absolutely great write up!
sAviOr...
ionize
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Ireland399 Posts
December 23 2011 10:29 GMT
#119
This is an amazing article. Thanks for sharing your professional knowledge on this with us.

One thing I like to do to start a game session is setting up an alarm (1h will do) and hit that "Find match" button right away and play through the hour. Just don't think about anxiety or anything just play your games through the hour. It yielded amazing results for me.
I just love video games, what's your excuse?
Koshi
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Belgium38799 Posts
December 23 2011 10:58 GMT
#120
I always said that ladder fear was silly, and that most people who suffer from it should talk to a psychiatrist. This post might be a solution for some.
I had a good night of sleep.
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 19 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 20m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Larva 428
Hyuk 237
Leta 228
Hyun 97
Hm[arnc] 25
Shinee 22
ZergMaN 15
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm221
League of Legends
JimRising 773
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King131
Other Games
summit1g8816
WinterStarcraft519
ArmadaUGS70
Nina64
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick778
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream162
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2327
League of Legends
• Rush1470
• Lourlo1198
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3h 20m
INu's Battles
5h 20m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
8h 20m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
12h 20m
BSL Open Qualifier
12h 20m
Replay Cast
16h 20m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 3h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 4h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 9h
Replay Cast
1d 16h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.