• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:49
CEST 18:49
KST 01:49
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon108
StarCraft 2
General
Updated Continental Flags System & New Global Flag StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BW General Discussion Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8963 users

Do you macro like a pro? - Page 58

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 56 57 58 59 60 63 Next
ArkSC
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
128 Posts
February 11 2012 18:43 GMT
#1141
Way to much math really takes the meaning out of this.
Creator, Maru, MKP, Illusion, DeMuslim, MVP, Thorzain. ♥
Mafs
Profile Joined January 2011
Canada458 Posts
February 11 2012 18:45 GMT
#1142
On February 08 2012 13:49 MaverickSC wrote:
Is this accurate? I keep getting an SQ of 95 but I doubt my macro is near as well as Idra's. I float 1k during big fights too

EDIT: I'm 1k master

Your Terran right? Mules make your SQ inflated by a bit. Everyone floats 1k during big fights and once your maxed it makes it lower.
ohampatu
Profile Joined July 2010
United States1448 Posts
February 11 2012 18:47 GMT
#1143
This was also done on Sept 17th. Id love for the OP to do the same thing for the next MLG Winter Arena, see how far the game has come along.
I am become death, for I am the destroyer of worlds.....You will be missed KT Violet!!!
Incognoto
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
France10239 Posts
February 12 2012 14:00 GMT
#1144
I didn't check my average, it's probably very terrible. But I'm plat and got a 90,5 in the last ZvT I played! So happy. :')
maru lover forever
UmbraaeternuS
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Chile476 Posts
February 12 2012 14:16 GMT
#1145
I'm masters and as an average I've gotten a 93.5 in my last 15 games. Still I float over 1.5K on huge engagements...
therealwinters - Skype / @DrUmbra - Twitter // "There is nothing more cool than being proud of the things that you love" - Sean "Day[9]" Plott <3
Proof.
Profile Joined August 2011
535 Posts
February 12 2012 16:12 GMT
#1146
On November 02 2011 10:14 Dhalphir wrote:
I suppose, I really shouldn't be too angry at you for developing this. Its a useful tool in the right context. My concern is just that its being promoted (and used) as a catchall by shitty players looking to find excuses to claim they aren't shitty.

I just want people to say "yes, I am in Gold. I am a Gold level player, I am not convinced that I'm a Diamond level player in disguise, I'm just plain Gold level and I suck, and I want to get better.

There is no such thing as "I play at a Diamond level but I'm stuck in Silver because I get cheesed a lot". Nope, you're just plain ol' Silver.

And this SQ number gives them another number to hide behind like the idiots they are. And it makes me angry.

This is exactly what I was thinking as I read some of the responses in this thread. Although, it's nothing to get angry over if it gives people the feeling that they are getting better (as opposed to giving people the feeling that they ARE better than they think, which is what you were ticked off about).
He who has a why to live can bear almost any how
Incognoto
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
France10239 Posts
February 12 2012 16:35 GMT
#1147
On February 13 2012 01:12 Proof. wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 02 2011 10:14 Dhalphir wrote:
I suppose, I really shouldn't be too angry at you for developing this. Its a useful tool in the right context. My concern is just that its being promoted (and used) as a catchall by shitty players looking to find excuses to claim they aren't shitty.

I just want people to say "yes, I am in Gold. I am a Gold level player, I am not convinced that I'm a Diamond level player in disguise, I'm just plain Gold level and I suck, and I want to get better.

There is no such thing as "I play at a Diamond level but I'm stuck in Silver because I get cheesed a lot". Nope, you're just plain ol' Silver.

And this SQ number gives them another number to hide behind like the idiots they are. And it makes me angry.

This is exactly what I was thinking as I read some of the responses in this thread. Although, it's nothing to get angry over if it gives people the feeling that they are getting better (as opposed to giving people the feeling that they ARE better than they think, which is what you were ticked off about).


I think people use this (or at least they should) use this as a way to measure how good they are at macro. At least I do.

In SC2, macro is important, but you can't rely on macro alone to win games. Macro is only one aspect of the game. Having good game knowledge, multitasking, micro and all of that is just as important as macro (arguably micro and multitasking is more important at higher levels). So a silver player with good macro is probably in silver because he's incompetent at reading his opponent and always reacts poorly. A silver player might also get a higher score than a Plat player because he has no multitasking or micro to do.

People should use this as a way to measure how good one aspect of their game is, that aspect being macro. People shouldn't use this as a way to measure skill as the measurement is quite incomplete. But the measurement seems pretty good for determining how good someone is at managing econ.
maru lover forever
Zzzapper
Profile Joined September 2011
1798 Posts
February 12 2012 17:40 GMT
#1148
This basically confirmed that my decision making is absolutely terrible. Looking at my latest 10 games, my SQ is about 85-90 average. And I am mid/somewhat high masters. Appearantly my spending is on the level of a grandmaster level player (and quite far up in that league), so i guess i should really practice decision making...
Hickorynut
Profile Joined April 2011
United States31 Posts
February 12 2012 21:21 GMT
#1149
People also need to realize that if you over make production structures it becomes very easy to inflate your SQ. If you have abnormally high SQ for your league, you may want to check this.
Havik_
Profile Joined November 2011
United States5585 Posts
February 19 2012 01:08 GMT
#1150
Wow. Amazing thread.
"An opinion is only as good as the evidence that backs it up."- William O'Malley, S.J.
B34ST
Profile Joined August 2010
United Kingdom150 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-20 23:45:32
February 20 2012 23:06 GMT
#1151
This is great! Worrying how I've gone from a SQ of 75 to 65 -.- how does one drop a league?!
Gulzt
Profile Joined August 2009
Netherlands275 Posts
March 02 2012 10:12 GMT
#1152
Awesome, thanks for this.

According to my scores for the last 63 games (>600 income) I don't fit your table.
My average is 49. That would place me between Silver and Gold.

I'm in Platinum though. How do I interpret this? Would it mean my macro sucks hard below my league average, but I'm above average on my decision making?

sayu
Profile Joined July 2011
Germany5 Posts
March 02 2012 14:03 GMT
#1153
On February 12 2012 03:43 Overlord17 wrote:
Way to much math really takes the meaning out of this.

all you have to do is copy the equation to wolframalpha and put in the numbers for I and U respectively. copy paste each result in a notepad. when you have as many as you want, copy them again into wolframalpha, seperating them by "+"-sings. copy paste the result of that into wolframalpha again, put a "/" after it, count the numbers of results from the equation you collected and put it after the "/". you have to do NO math at all yourself(counting a couple numbers isn't math, right?).
Gulzt
Profile Joined August 2009
Netherlands275 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-05 16:58:13
March 05 2012 16:58 GMT
#1154
K, I traced 120 games now, I'm pretty much around 50 SQ, yet in Platinum. Your stats show my Macro fits between silver & gold.

Could it be that in the last 6 months since this article the level of play has changed? I've been in Diamond in the first two seasons. Now I"m not even top-platinum (jumped back in last week of season 5). My SQ in my diamond days seems also around 50
M1cha84
Profile Joined October 2010
Germany64 Posts
March 05 2012 17:08 GMT
#1155
I recorded my last 50 games and I have a SQ of 72. I am EU Master (low), so the Stats still seem to be correct!
tapk69
Profile Joined January 2011
Portugal264 Posts
March 05 2012 17:37 GMT
#1156
Nice thread , we can all see how much we suck playing SC2 !

Particularly like the GM league level and the EG.Idra level .. Its like the final boss..
ja foste
Pwere
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada1557 Posts
March 05 2012 18:55 GMT
#1157
On March 06 2012 01:58 Gulzt wrote:
K, I traced 120 games now, I'm pretty much around 50 SQ, yet in Platinum. Your stats show my Macro fits between silver & gold.

Could it be that in the last 6 months since this article the level of play has changed? I've been in Diamond in the first two seasons. Now I"m not even top-platinum (jumped back in last week of season 5). My SQ in my diamond days seems also around 50
This implies that your macro is what's holding you back, but you make up for it with a combination of scouting, game sense and/or micro.

Those who have SQs above their leagues should probably look into those other things to improve.

Imho, SQ is only useful if you play an adaptative macro game. If you tend to go for 2 base timings or strong 3base pushes without deviating much, obviously your SQ will look good, but that's because adapting your macro to the situation is simply harder than following a recipe.
Hertzy
Profile Joined September 2011
Finland355 Posts
March 05 2012 19:19 GMT
#1158
I'm stating the obvious here, but 0.00137*I in the formula is within 0.01% of I/730. So, if you want an easier-to-remember formula, it's SQ=35*(I/730-ln(U))+240.
My dotabuff: http://dotabuff.com/players/94774350
insearchof
Profile Joined July 2011
United States57 Posts
March 05 2012 19:50 GMT
#1159
macro is the easy part, its throwing away your terran 200/200 bio to colossi and storms thats the hard part
Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.
Brandish
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States339 Posts
March 05 2012 19:54 GMT
#1160
I feel like in longer macro games this would matter less because you are banking minerals when you are maxed and looking for positioning right?
Prev 1 56 57 58 59 60 63 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 11m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Codebar 37
mouzHeroMarine 22
UpATreeSC 8
StarCraft: Brood War
EffOrt 1288
Shuttle 1142
Soma 677
Mini 674
Rush 462
actioN 457
Light 362
Larva 334
BeSt 222
Snow 161
[ Show more ]
hero 129
firebathero 108
Dewaltoss 77
Zeus 67
Barracks 58
Liquid`Ret 56
JYJ 27
Sexy 27
soO 25
ToSsGirL 24
Bale 24
Shine 24
Trap 19
sorry 14
Terrorterran 14
zelot 14
Rock 11
Sacsri 7
Dota 2
Gorgc8273
qojqva2068
Dendi883
420jenkins169
Counter-Strike
Fnx 778
pashabiceps684
x6flipin459
ceh9378
edward80
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes5742
Grubby3384
Liquid`Hasu219
Other Games
Beastyqt463
byalli460
B2W.Neo438
Khaldor212
DeMusliM157
Liquid`VortiX152
KnowMe128
ArmadaUGS113
BRAT_OK 83
Trikslyr54
TKL 53
C9.Mang052
Railgan4
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV250
BasetradeTV212
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream131
[ Show 20 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH248
• StrangeGG 83
• mYiSmile124
• Reevou 4
• intothetv
• Migwel
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 12
• FirePhoenix10
• Azhi_Dahaki3
• 80smullet 1
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV436
League of Legends
• Nemesis2849
• TFBlade785
Other Games
• Shiphtur271
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
7h 11m
Kung Fu Cup
18h 11m
The PondCast
1d 17h
OSC
1d 20h
OSC
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.