• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:26
CEST 14:26
KST 21:26
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon107
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
All you football fans (soccer)! Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8512 users

Do you macro like a pro? - Page 59

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 57 58 59 60 61 63 Next
Hider
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Denmark9448 Posts
March 05 2012 19:59 GMT
#1161
On February 12 2012 03:45 Mafs wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 08 2012 13:49 MaverickSC wrote:
Is this accurate? I keep getting an SQ of 95 but I doubt my macro is near as well as Idra's. I float 1k during big fights too

EDIT: I'm 1k master

Your Terran right? Mules make your SQ inflated by a bit. Everyone floats 1k during big fights and once your maxed it makes it lower.


No it doesn't. Mules actually make it more difficult to macro as your income is unstabile.

Idra has realitivley low SQ cus of 2 reasons:
1) His macro is overrated.
2) He plays a passive style - is more often maxed than most other players.

95 though is still very good.
Zzoram
Profile Joined February 2008
Canada7115 Posts
March 05 2012 20:45 GMT
#1162
Is there an SQ list for top players yetso we can compare their macro? Also, it would be nice to see if the average SQ of each league has gone up indicating an improvement in the average skill of players as the game gets older.
Gulzt
Profile Joined August 2009
Netherlands275 Posts
March 06 2012 20:06 GMT
#1163
On March 06 2012 03:55 Pwere wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 06 2012 01:58 Gulzt wrote:
K, I traced 120 games now, I'm pretty much around 50 SQ, yet in Platinum. Your stats show my Macro fits between silver & gold.

Could it be that in the last 6 months since this article the level of play has changed? I've been in Diamond in the first two seasons. Now I"m not even top-platinum (jumped back in last week of season 5). My SQ in my diamond days seems also around 50
This implies that your macro is what's holding you back, but you make up for it with a combination of scouting, game sense and/or micro.

Those who have SQs above their leagues should probably look into those other things to improve.

Imho, SQ is only useful if you play an adaptative macro game. If you tend to go for 2 base timings or strong 3base pushes without deviating much, obviously your SQ will look good, but that's because adapting your macro to the situation is simply harder than following a recipe.


Thanks Pwere, I got a bunch of training maps to help me improve on it.
eXaSurA
Profile Joined February 2012
1 Post
Last Edited: 2012-03-07 03:03:18
March 07 2012 02:58 GMT
#1164
Long time lurker, first-time poster. I had an SQ of 107 in this game. According to the graphs, that's like GM level. Even considering a rising overall skill level over time, that's still freaking high. This makes no sense to me, as there is no way in hell i'm anywhere near as good as IdrA, let alone the Koreans. I'm only high plat.

http://drop.sc/127878

Edit: I'm aware of how terrible, terrible, terrible my opponent was.
It's only wrong if you get caught :3
Hertzy
Profile Joined September 2011
Finland355 Posts
March 07 2012 10:34 GMT
#1165
On March 07 2012 11:58 eXaSurA wrote:
Long time lurker, first-time poster. I had an SQ of 107 in this game. According to the graphs, that's like GM level. Even considering a rising overall skill level over time, that's still freaking high. This makes no sense to me, as there is no way in hell i'm anywhere near as good as IdrA, let alone the Koreans. I'm only high plat.

http://drop.sc/127878

Edit: I'm aware of how terrible, terrible, terrible my opponent was.


I'm guessing your SQ got inflated by your opponent doing an all-in rush (well, they thought it an all-in, anyway). You didn't really have much opportunity to mess up your macro.
My dotabuff: http://dotabuff.com/players/94774350
Dalavita
Profile Joined August 2010
Sweden1113 Posts
March 07 2012 10:52 GMT
#1166
On March 07 2012 11:58 eXaSurA wrote:
Long time lurker, first-time poster. I had an SQ of 107 in this game. According to the graphs, that's like GM level. Even considering a rising overall skill level over time, that's still freaking high. This makes no sense to me, as there is no way in hell i'm anywhere near as good as IdrA, let alone the Koreans. I'm only high plat.

http://drop.sc/127878

Edit: I'm aware of how terrible, terrible, terrible my opponent was.


Nine minute long games honestly don't mean much, for instance you can do a reactor hellion into marine tank push that hits at 9 minutes and is mapped out fully, meaning you have maximum SQ possible during that specific time.

The only time you should consider calculating your SQ is if you hit maxed in a game where both of you didn't sit on your ass and ended it shortly thereafter.
Gulzt
Profile Joined August 2009
Netherlands275 Posts
March 07 2012 11:21 GMT
#1167
In any case it takes an average of many games, not just one..
darislav
Profile Joined April 2012
Russian Federation1 Post
April 09 2012 15:29 GMT
#1168
Amazing work, Bravo!
Extremely valuable stats.
Surili
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United Kingdom1141 Posts
April 25 2012 11:44 GMT
#1169
I would LOVE to see an updated version to see how good peoples macro is today, and what the graphs are looking like, i suspect i have low macro for my rank.
The world is ending what should we do about it?
BTCOMM
Profile Joined October 2010
United States25 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-05 04:27:47
May 05 2012 04:24 GMT
#1170
On March 07 2012 19:52 Dalavita wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 07 2012 11:58 eXaSurA wrote:
Long time lurker, first-time poster. I had an SQ of 107 in this game. According to the graphs, that's like GM level. Even considering a rising overall skill level over time, that's still freaking high. This makes no sense to me, as there is no way in hell i'm anywhere near as good as IdrA, let alone the Koreans. I'm only high plat.

http://drop.sc/127878

Edit: I'm aware of how terrible, terrible, terrible my opponent was.


Nine minute long games honestly don't mean much, for instance you can do a reactor hellion into marine tank push that hits at 9 minutes and is mapped out fully, meaning you have maximum SQ possible during that specific time.

The only time you should consider calculating your SQ is if you hit maxed in a game where both of you didn't sit on your ass and ended it shortly thereafter.


Just thought I would say, I disagree.

If you win in in a pretty quick game and you have a good SQ that is a good chunk of the reason why you won and even for short games I think it's a great benchmark.

Now... I would not compare your score to pros and think to yourself I'm so much better than them.

Obviously being maxed hurts your SQ score and it doesn't mean you are a bad player for it.

I would like to see updated numbers to see how the leagues have progressed in their SQ scores.
ClairvoyanceSC2
Profile Joined February 2012
United States758 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-07 01:29:50
May 07 2012 00:51 GMT
#1171
After 10 games and calculating using
http://acslayer.webs.com/
I came up with 87 for my SQ and I'm only mid masters ;o
enCore-
Profile Joined July 2010
98 Posts
May 07 2012 05:05 GMT
#1172
After 10 games I came up with an SQ of 89, well I guess I'm better than Idra now.
quillian
Profile Joined April 2010
United States318 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-12 17:01:26
May 12 2012 16:59 GMT
#1173
For those interested, a quick look at demuslim's recent ladder games:

AUR __ Income __ SQ
427 ___ 1596 ____104.540759536998
1229 __ 2131 ____ 93.1929861651888
964 ___ 2139 ____ 102.076854688631
785 ___ 1816 ____ 93.7782698776157
557 ___ 1686 ____ 99.5539166025451
481 ___ 1519 ____ 96.6806955462983

Average SQ: 98.3

So GM level has come up quite a bit since this post was made.

I might do a sample of my friends from different leagues for reference as well.
TheBanana
Profile Joined December 2010
Norway2183 Posts
May 12 2012 17:23 GMT
#1174
On May 07 2012 09:51 ClairvoyanceSC2 wrote:
After 10 games and calculating using
http://acslayer.webs.com/
I came up with 87 for my SQ and I'm only mid masters ;o


That calculator was eye opening, even though my dataset is very small.
In short games(under 20min) I'm averaging 70-75, in longer games I'm averaging around 58-65.
I'm gold.
If you're not getting better faster than everybody else, you're getting worse.
TheBanana
Profile Joined December 2010
Norway2183 Posts
May 12 2012 17:27 GMT
#1175
On May 13 2012 01:59 quillian wrote:
For those interested, a quick look at demuslim's recent ladder games:

AUR __ Income __ SQ
427 ___ 1596 ____104.540759536998
1229 __ 2131 ____ 93.1929861651888
964 ___ 2139 ____ 102.076854688631
785 ___ 1816 ____ 93.7782698776157
557 ___ 1686 ____ 99.5539166025451
481 ___ 1519 ____ 96.6806955462983

Average SQ: 98.3

So GM level has come up quite a bit since this post was made.

I might do a sample of my friends from different leagues for reference as well.


Even though I believe it has gone up, top pros like Demuslim have probably always been above the average GM-score.
If you're not getting better faster than everybody else, you're getting worse.
StreetWise
Profile Joined January 2010
United States594 Posts
May 12 2012 17:29 GMT
#1176
On May 13 2012 02:23 TheBanana wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 07 2012 09:51 ClairvoyanceSC2 wrote:
After 10 games and calculating using
http://acslayer.webs.com/
I came up with 87 for my SQ and I'm only mid masters ;o


That calculator was eye opening, even though my dataset is very small.
In short games(under 20min) I'm averaging 70-75, in longer games I'm averaging around 58-65.
I'm gold.



My SQ is only 75 and I am mid masters. But then again I rely more on my micro and battle decisions than my macro to win games.
I will not be poisoned by your bitterness
quillian
Profile Joined April 2010
United States318 Posts
May 12 2012 17:57 GMT
#1177
On May 13 2012 02:29 StreetWise wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 13 2012 02:23 TheBanana wrote:
On May 07 2012 09:51 ClairvoyanceSC2 wrote:
After 10 games and calculating using
http://acslayer.webs.com/
I came up with 87 for my SQ and I'm only mid masters ;o


That calculator was eye opening, even though my dataset is very small.
In short games(under 20min) I'm averaging 70-75, in longer games I'm averaging around 58-65.
I'm gold.



My SQ is only 75 and I am mid masters. But then again I rely more on my micro and battle decisions than my macro to win games.


This is obviously not conclusive, but I suspect one of the things the data will show is that over the past year the SQ gap has compressed quite a bit, and that the difference between leagues is more about good engagements and less about 1-A pure macro now. That is, macro is still probably the largest determining factor, but the differences are smaller, and unit control and composition matters more than before.
CCAA
Profile Joined November 2010
Germany78 Posts
May 26 2012 14:52 GMT
#1178
ye especially as t engagements seems to be more improtant than pure macro. I got depromoted and have 95to110 sq in dia league so...
Risljaninasim
Profile Joined July 2011
Netherlands228 Posts
June 02 2012 19:18 GMT
#1179
Thanks! i'm using this to see wether i am improving my macro and how. I used the excel sheet in your post, exported it to google docs and added a graph to easily spot how and when i am improving. I'm thinking of adding a line in the graph showing the length of the games or the amount of probes i produced to spot my improvement better.
;;
NVRLand
Profile Joined March 2012
Sweden203 Posts
June 03 2012 15:26 GMT
#1180
I feel that there is something weird with this.
I got an avg SQ of 70 (Lowest 54, highest 85) and I find this very hard to believe since it would be equivelent to high master while I am top gold (facing platinum players time to time). I calculated the stats from my last 10 games which had an avg. income of 650+ (Only one game was below 1100 tho).

Really impressive work tho! Kudos to you for doing this!
Prev 1 57 58 59 60 61 63 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Sparkling Tuna Cup
10:00
Weekly #148 (SHIN Mod Edition)
herO vs KrystianerLIVE!
TBD vs Percival
CranKy Ducklings146
CranKy Ducklings SOOP46
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko395
ProTech141
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 3933
Jaedong 3244
Leta 1530
actioN 957
EffOrt 658
Horang2 561
Soma 413
BeSt 391
Killer 330
Mini 273
[ Show more ]
Rush 221
Stork 220
Pusan 152
Light 147
Barracks 124
Zeus 121
Snow 99
ggaemo 96
Larva 91
JYJ 63
Sea.KH 55
Mong 52
ToSsGirL 42
HiyA 41
hero 40
Bale 35
Sharp 28
Shinee 22
zelot 20
sorry 19
Sexy 14
Noble 10
Sacsri 10
JulyZerg 9
Icarus 6
Dota 2
Gorgc6240
Dendi772
XaKoH 396
Counter-Strike
kRYSTAL_70
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes3495
Other Games
gofns37946
singsing1616
olofmeister1273
B2W.Neo616
byalli541
Livibee191
OGKoka 107
ArmadaUGS75
DeMusliM14
Organizations
StarCraft 2
WardiTV359
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream278
Other Games
BasetradeTV198
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV249
League of Legends
• Jankos1670
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
11h 34m
Kung Fu Cup
22h 34m
The PondCast
1d 21h
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.