• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:16
CEST 12:16
KST 19:16
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2314
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11657 users

GSTL more exciting than individual GSL? - Page 15

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All
Clow
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
Brazil880 Posts
March 24 2011 22:07 GMT
#281
Even in BW I always liked PL more than the SLs.
SlayerS HWAITING! (need sc2 proteams icons now)
(–_–) CJ Entusman #33
Blasterion
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
China10272 Posts
March 24 2011 22:09 GMT
#282
GSTL there's so much more emotions and I love that. I mean the team is at stake rather than just yourself. And what's more important the coaches play a very big role. it really shows what a real team should be like
[TLNY]Mahjong Club Thread
Highways
Profile Joined July 2005
Australia6122 Posts
March 24 2011 22:11 GMT
#283
I agree, GSTL is 100 times better than GSL:

- Seeing really good young players
- More drama seeing teams vs each other
- Teamwork
- Code S is still full of scrubs
#1 Terran hater
Kaelaris
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United Kingdom788 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-24 22:13:55
March 24 2011 22:11 GMT
#284
I personally love GSTL a lot more than standard GSL right now, however both have their own unique selling points. Whilst I feel GSL has more "refined" play, since people prepare for their opponents heavily, GSTL brings the drama and the on-the-spot creativeness that is so entertaining. Of course the teams go in with an initial game plan of who then want to play who, however there are always the weird situations like today when we saw MVP have to pretty much bag 3wins to take it for IM.

Other than the above point, I feel that GSTL is more of a "story" than individual GSL, and it's nice to see the Koreans express some emotion xD

EDIT - I'd LOVE to see the next GosuCoaching team league have the same layout as the GSTL! would be amazing!
CommentatorESL Commentator ♞ Facebook.com/Kaelaris ♞ Twitter.com/Kaelaris ♞ Youtube.com/Kaelaris ♞ Twitch.tv/Kaelaris
sushiman
Profile Joined September 2003
Sweden2691 Posts
March 24 2011 22:16 GMT
#285
I prefer the teamleague, even though I haven't watched that much of it. You get to see more players and plenty of different MUs. It's also essential for a pro-scene to develop in SC2 - if it were just individual leagues, there would be fewer players and a less competive atmosphere since any team would essentially be nothing but a practice house for the best players.

GSL 5 have been a mess as well; the format has been really confusing, and it's basically just a qualifier, so a lot of the excitement is lost.
1000 at least.
TemplarCo.
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Mexico2870 Posts
March 24 2011 22:18 GMT
#286
+ Show Spoiler +
On March 24 2011 00:08 Rean wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 24 2011 00:06 Shinobi1982 wrote:
If people wanted teamgames there would be pro 2v2, 3v3, 4v4 tournaments. Do you currently see any? Face it the top players in each team will mostly dislike the idea where mediocre players would love the idea to have an opportunity to win titles with their team based game.

In the end you will get shoved single player or team games by the biggest organization. And either you love it or hate it, you will have to accept it. Imo Sc/2 is a single player competitive game.

Will probably get a lot flames for saying this...


..................... do you even know what the GSTL is? >.>


I think he has close to none

On March 24 2011 00:13 Shinobi1982 wrote:
I know very well what he means by teamgames. But 2v2, 3v3, 4v4 are meant by blizz to be teamgames. What does MC for example gain from (gstl) teamgames?

User was temp banned for this post.


If you're gonna post stuff in GSTL threads with out knowing to a detail what GSTL is, then don't post here!


Since I started to watch SC with team leagues in BW (of course just for fun with my uncle) I really like bringing back those memories!!!

GSTL is better than GSL for spectator view, but I think for tense and epic games GSL is better.
The point is that both leagues are awesome!!!
With an average game length of 7m36s over his 6 games in GSL3, this is a no-brainer. BitByBit pulls more SCVs than yo momma at a club on Mar Sara. ♞
gogogadgetflow
Profile Joined March 2010
United States2583 Posts
March 24 2011 22:18 GMT
#287
On March 25 2011 07:11 KaelSC wrote:
I personally love GSTL a lot more than standard GSL right now, however both have their own unique selling points. Whilst I feel GSL has more "refined" play, since people prepare for their opponents heavily, GSTL brings the drama and the on-the-spot creativeness that is so entertaining. Of course the teams go in with an initial game plan of who then want to play who, however there are always the weird situations like today when we saw MVP have to pretty much bag 3wins to take it for IM.

Other than the above point, I feel that GSTL is more of a "story" than individual GSL, and it's nice to see the Koreans express some emotion xD

EDIT - I'd LOVE to see the next GosuCoaching team league have the same layout as the GSTL! would be amazing!


It is probably too much of a hassle to get an entire lineup available at one time for this style of league. Remember that the GCPL players live on different continents. That is why games are arranged individually so players can arrange them at their discretion and just hand the replays off to the admins.
Kaelaris
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United Kingdom788 Posts
March 24 2011 22:25 GMT
#288
On March 25 2011 07:18 gogogadgetflow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 25 2011 07:11 KaelSC wrote:
I personally love GSTL a lot more than standard GSL right now, however both have their own unique selling points. Whilst I feel GSL has more "refined" play, since people prepare for their opponents heavily, GSTL brings the drama and the on-the-spot creativeness that is so entertaining. Of course the teams go in with an initial game plan of who then want to play who, however there are always the weird situations like today when we saw MVP have to pretty much bag 3wins to take it for IM.

Other than the above point, I feel that GSTL is more of a "story" than individual GSL, and it's nice to see the Koreans express some emotion xD

EDIT - I'd LOVE to see the next GosuCoaching team league have the same layout as the GSTL! would be amazing!


It is probably too much of a hassle to get an entire lineup available at one time for this style of league. Remember that the GCPL players live on different continents. That is why games are arranged individually so players can arrange them at their discretion and just hand the replays off to the admins.


Gah that's a great point. I think I was swept away by the sheer awesome-ness of how cool that would be, that I completely overlooked the logistical side of it
CommentatorESL Commentator ♞ Facebook.com/Kaelaris ♞ Twitter.com/Kaelaris ♞ Youtube.com/Kaelaris ♞ Twitch.tv/Kaelaris
Blasterion
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
China10272 Posts
March 24 2011 22:29 GMT
#289
There was way less BM this season though, slightly disappointed only slightly
[TLNY]Mahjong Club Thread
Herrmann
Profile Joined November 2010
United States65 Posts
March 24 2011 22:47 GMT
#290
GSTL is way better than GSL. Its awesome to have a favorite team, and the matches feel more dramatic focusing on a group rather than one player. Also, there's always something unexpected, rather than knowing the matchup going in. It doesn't get better than having a player nobody expects (like MMA) come out of nowhere and wreck faces. A proleague format with GSL less often would be so much better imo. I hope Junkka sees all these comments here and in the LR thread and does something...
Scrandom
Profile Joined February 2011
Canada2819 Posts
March 24 2011 22:50 GMT
#291
The GSTL is way more entertaining but OP do you actually think MMA cheesed MC? Or did you not watch the game?
Tektos
Profile Joined November 2010
Australia1321 Posts
March 24 2011 22:59 GMT
#292
I think the reason GSTL produces such exciting games is that you can have snipers / match-up specialists. What I mean by this is in the GSL, the individual has to be really good at ALL match-ups or else they will never succeed (unless they get a lucky streak of their best match-up).

In GSTL you can have someone who is AMAZING against one particular race, and practices to be really good at that. This means you can send that person out as a counter to a top tier player. This provides high quality games because if someone is a dominant force (say, IM_Mvp) you can send out your best vs. T player to try and counter them. This is why SlayerS have been so successful, they've gathered a team with high individual skill as well as AMAZING match-up specialization (they have godly Terran slayers). While other teams have focused on individual skill across all match-ups, hence less success.

This results in more upsets as well as more 'unknown' players being featured and having amazing games. Personally I prefer that over seeing the same 2-3 people owning it up in the GSL.
Wargizmo
Profile Joined March 2010
1237 Posts
March 24 2011 23:45 GMT
#293

I voted GSTL, but after watching GSTL last night I have to point out the one MASSIVE disadvantage of team league is the huge 10-20 minute wait between games. Obviously a lot of last night was caused by Bnet, but even without that, the fact that getting a new player in before each game to set up all their gear is actually really annoying, especially when the games themselves are often 5 minutes long. Individual league has the big advantage in that you know who's playing the next match so they can set up in the other booths while the first game is being played.

solistus
Profile Joined April 2010
United States172 Posts
March 25 2011 00:00 GMT
#294
GSTL is sooooo entertaining to watch! I love the extra layer of team strategy in picking players. I love getting to see some players on top teams who aren't Code A/S, but whose coaches obviously have faith to put them up against the big guns. It's pretty much the only opportunity we get to see such extensive teamwork within the tournament itself and not just in the weeks/months practicing beforehand. I enjoy the matches from regular GSL but I kinda hate the format. GSTL makes single elim style feel exciting and dynamic. Regular GSL just feels too short to be an individual league. I'd rather see one season stretch over 2-3 times as many games, with a much longer and more involved group stage. Multiple rounds of games where everyone fights for pole position, then elims as the grand finale to crown a champion.

But anyway, I digress. Yes, I think GSTL is more exciting than regular GSL.
Units don't counter units. Strategies counter strategies.
pezit
Profile Joined October 2010
Sweden302 Posts
March 25 2011 00:06 GMT
#295
As much as i like GSL i gotta say GSTL is way more entertaining to watch, it adds another level to the excitement. Add to that that the games have just been overall better as well and it's hard to argue.
HEROwithNOlegacy
Profile Joined June 2010
United States850 Posts
March 25 2011 00:12 GMT
#296
GSTL is more exciting at the moment because we get to see more games from "rising stars" and more chances at upsets. It is always exciting to see someone almost get an all kill or better yet when a team comes back and reverse all kills (We have yet to see that.) But with time and when the game gets more figured out and is 100% balanced, I am sure they both will be great and random cheese will not get you into Code S, Solid play and mechanics will. We just have to give it time but they are both great. Nothing can beat an epic match up bo7 between a Julyzerg and MC, who knows what future finals will come to GSL, Maybe even a Jinro and a HuK.
SlayerS Fighting!
Kar98
Profile Joined January 2011
Australia924 Posts
March 25 2011 00:20 GMT
#297
Was hard for me to pick GSTL over GSL because I love seing the high level individual skill from a whole range of players but the GSTL finals have always delivered and we get to see the new players come up and have a shot at being recognised. My only problem with the GSTL is that it's too short so if they could extend the time by having a round robin style of tournament that would make it even better :D
Sewi
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
Germany1697 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-25 00:40:25
March 25 2011 00:39 GMT
#298
In BW I prefered individual leages but now I like GSTL a lot for one major reason:
Coaches sending out players to snipe specific players results in a lot of very entertaining games. Also, there are not as many mirrors or at least it feals this way.
GSL brings so many TvTs. GSTL had some in the Ro8 but only a few (very entertaining) in the later rounds.

So yes, GSTL is great and I will not think about paying/not paying for it the next time. Its an insta-buy..
"Well, things were going ok until he lost all his stuff" - Tasteless, 17.02.2016
sylverfyre
Profile Joined May 2010
United States8298 Posts
March 25 2011 17:04 GMT
#299
On March 25 2011 07:29 Blasterion wrote:
There was way less BM this season though, slightly disappointed only slightly
I think we all miss those dancing marines...
InFusion
Profile Joined January 2011
Sweden39 Posts
March 25 2011 19:18 GMT
#300
I think it is good, and needed, to have both GSL and GSTL. I haven't watched as much GSTL yet, but the games I have seen have all been really really good. The team format seems to create a lot of interesting games and it is exciting and dynamic with all killls, which player the team will choose etc etc. As several people have already noted in this thread, it is also fun to watch up and coming players such as for example ST_Squirtle (all kill, the IMMVP match), ST_Ace and SlayerS_Alicia and IMLosira. Talented players who might not be in Code S just yet, but has a good chance of producing good results in the future I think.
+ Show Spoiler +
Losira and Alicia already in Code S and Ace winning IEM.
SlayerS win in the second GSTL I think shows they have a couple of up and coming players who might do really well in GSL in the future.


I did not think the GSTL would be as exciting as it has been, so I will definitively buy season pass for GSTL in the future and watch it more regularly.
Prev 1 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
CranKy Ducklings
19:00
Sea Duckling Open #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
CranKy Ducklings19
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech72
StarCraft: Brood War
Mind 1142
Bisu 876
Hyuk 728
Horang2 712
Larva 601
Leta 187
Sexy 124
EffOrt 119
Zeus 115
Soma 100
[ Show more ]
Mini 90
PianO 81
Pusan 59
Killer 38
ZerO 38
ToSsGirL 35
Bale 26
sorry 26
Last 23
Hm[arnc] 18
yabsab 18
Trap 14
JulyZerg 9
Noble 6
Dota 2
XcaliburYe424
XaKoH 273
League of Legends
JimRising 312
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1324
Other Games
gofns28928
singsing1598
crisheroes235
OGKoka 193
Mew2King134
ArmadaUGS62
ZerO(Twitch)6
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick555
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream176
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 57
• LUISG 21
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP5
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 7079
• lizZardDota2328
League of Legends
• Jankos1282
• Stunt926
Upcoming Events
Online Event
44m
FEL
5h 44m
AI Arena Tournament
6h 44m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
8h 44m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
23h 44m
INu's Battles
1d 1h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 8h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 8h
Replay Cast
1d 13h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 23h
Rush vs Light
[ Show More ]
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.