• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:38
CEST 04:38
KST 11:38
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7547 users

Tips for Tasteless' Obsing - Page 17

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 15 16 17 18 19 27 Next All
Ndugu
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1078 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-11 21:10:01
September 11 2010 20:57 GMT
#321
On September 10 2010 14:21 motbob wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 10 2010 14:19 Ndugu wrote:
ME and my friends watched the Idra game and we were all laughing at loud at how terrible the obsing was. IT was so bad it was almost like a joke-- I really hope they get a hang of it. The casting itself was subpar, tbh

Basically through this post you are admitting that you've only watched one game! The obsing in that game was so bad because of a technical error, and it was never even close to that bad ever again. Why are you coming into this thread and expressing your opinion when you've only bothered to watch one game?


Because I only watched one game due to how bad it was

Since having been informed it was due to a technical error, I've broadened my horizons. Still very dissatisfied with the casting though, to be honest. Seems to lack any kind of actual excitement.
Endorsed
Profile Joined May 2010
Netherlands1221 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-11 21:07:14
September 11 2010 21:03 GMT
#322
I thought the casting was pretty awfull But i've only watched game 1 TLO and Idra vs .......
No excitement at all and alot off uhhh uhhhh uhhhhh. Also missed alot of things.
LumberJack
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
United States3355 Posts
September 11 2010 21:22 GMT
#323
i mute them now, they are really bad.
Man fears the darkness, and so he scrapes away at the edges of it with fire.
ccdnl
Profile Joined April 2010
United States611 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-11 22:59:57
September 11 2010 22:38 GMT
#324
On September 10 2010 07:09 JWD wrote:
The number one thing I'd like to see out of Artosis and Tasteless is for them to treat this more like a job and less like a hobby. By that I mean I'd like to see that they prepared for the matches before casting them. Many times they seem not to know anything about the players involved. Can we get some background, anecdotes, anything? This is the sort of stuff that is crucial to developing a young game — we need to know the players to root for them!

Overall I think Artosis and Tasteless make a good combo though. I'd love to see Artosis go as in-depth on strategy as he did in his BW commentaries.


Yes. I agree with JWD, I know you two,[tasteless +artosis] are gamers first but I'd really love you guys to improve on your casting. When listening to you two casting during the actual game, I feel like you guys are so drawn into the game and admiring the gameplay as GAMERS, your casting and anaylsis are really...murky, frivolous and depthless. What I'd prefer and possibly other people would like is that instead of just pointing out obvious things, possibly talk about the implications of X, Y, or Z. Talk about what could happen, etc. A good reference would be Day9's casting. I wish you two the best and I really hope your castings improve.

edit: Use the tabs to your advantage! Switch between tabs! APM/Production/Army/Income! Use them to your advantage. Finally I think what JWD said hits the spot, do your homework and you guys could be great!

edit2: just watched both versions of TLO vs LosirA game 1 and my honest opinion is I rather watch the Korean cast over the English. With the Korean cast[i dont understand Korean] I know at least that I get to see all the action. In comparison to the Korean cast, the English cast is not that active. In the Korean cast, the camera is always moving showing everything about the game, whereas the in the English one, Artosis and Tasteless, I feel, more times than not get too complacent and stay in one spot. Best of luck.
civil cervixes || Kang Min Fan || I like TLO, TLO= German, I like Germans..?
Sevaur
Profile Joined April 2003
42 Posts
September 14 2010 01:25 GMT
#325
I posted earlier in this thread with a lot of complaints similar to others (not noticing important things, bad use of new observing features etc). I doubt they're actually reading through 20 pages worth of mostly the same stuff (interspersed with childish rants), but I thought I'd say that, IMO, the observing has improved. The last couple days I haven't noticed anything that the casters haven't, and facility with the tabs etc has drastically improved. Nobody can talk for several hours, often with no action, and not say dumb things occasionally, but I think my main criticisms have mostly been addressed. So I'm satisfied, and I don't feel like I'm getting ripped off for the service (at least I wouldn't if some zergs stayed in =\)

A couple of things I'd still like to see more of:
1) More use of player view (to resolve "did he see it?" questions).
2) More use of the income tab. I know others seem to advocate production, but I can't see it easily on the screen -- when income is up, I can easily see worker disparity, which is hard to tell when the camera is mostly on the battles.
3) I like the more in-depth strategic discussions, particularly based on what one player sees. IE, player X saw A and B, which probably indicates C or D as a followup. Therefore, he should react to that by making E. Again, this is personal preference, and new players might not enjoy it, but those are the conversations I find most interesting.

In any case, I think things are improving, so keep up the good work.
SichuanPanda
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Canada1542 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-14 03:33:41
September 14 2010 03:28 GMT
#326
In the AnyproPrime vs NEXHansin match from today due to a technical error Artosis ended up having to control the observing. It was considerably better IMO, no offense to Tasteless, but Artosis' use of the Tabs was definitely far superior. I'd actually recommend having Artosis observe all games.

Edit: Things have improved, and I bet by Season 3 of the GSL they will be awesome at casting/obsing. I think the thing is that Tasteless and Artosis are both more used to doing commentaries and/or recorded casts - in other words they can go over a game multiple times and have a good idea of everything that is happening ahead of time to the commentary. In live casts you don't have this luxury, and really its a skill neither of them have really had the opportunity to practice, so naturally it will take a while for them to get good. Overall I am not disappointed with the casting for the most part, just the obsing - both have improved, and I expect to see it keep getting better.

In response to those commenting on lack of excitement, to be honest most of the games have been relatively standard / not exiting play, its difficult to make something boring sound exciting as a commentator.
i-bonjwa
Xyik
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
Canada728 Posts
September 14 2010 03:35 GMT
#327
Blizzard should implement a feature that automatically cycles through the tabs every 'x' seconds until broken by a caster selecting a specific tab, similar to how 'view player camera' is automatic until the observer decides he wants to see specific things.
QkDown
Profile Joined February 2010
United States214 Posts
September 14 2010 03:38 GMT
#328
I think they make it enjoyable, and follow the action better then 95% of the casters out there. GJ Art and tast
NINJA DOWN NINJA DOWN
maliceee
Profile Joined August 2010
United States634 Posts
September 14 2010 03:47 GMT
#329
they don't need to know every player in the 64 match tourney. They have increasingly gotten better, and I have to say I thought they were horrible the first day. As I keep watching them improve it makes the matches more exciting and increases anticipation for the ro32, 16,8, its gonna be so sweet. Geez, so many whiners on here who probably suck anyways. tasteless' commentary in SC1 was one of the best, there should be no doubt he can replicate it when he has time to improve.
figq
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
12519 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-14 03:51:28
September 14 2010 03:50 GMT
#330
It's improving (or I'm getting used to it ^^), but just one suggestion - when finding some free time, just to review the games they've casted. Not particularly for identifying their own casting mistakes, but also to understand those games well and further study the players' styles and the usual strats we've seen. It would help to get a better connection with the audience. Moreover, many of these progamers will come back in next GSLs, and then Tastosis can say - aha, remember the killer looking guy, the little Flash with the twitches. And they can remind us what we've seen before from these players and build a consistent image about them. It builds up some hype & excitement. Artosis already tries his best to do this, and overall it's getting better.
If you stand next to my head, you can hear the ocean. - Day[9]
learning
Profile Joined April 2010
United States104 Posts
September 14 2010 03:59 GMT
#331
its only the round of 64, remember, most tournaments only cast from round of 16 onward. There is bound to be unknown players and un-exciting play. Wait til we get further in the tournament and you'll all say "wow you guys have really improved!"
Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light.
MinoMino
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Norway1103 Posts
September 14 2010 04:00 GMT
#332
I didn't have the time to watch much of the last broadcast, but I noticed how the quality of the observer was a lot better when they had technical difficulties and Artosis' screen was being broadcasted instead of Tasteless'. He was actually looking around their bases to see what they were doing as well as clicking on them, had the production tab open etc. Now as I said, I didn't watch much beyond that, so I wouldn't know if Tasteless did that as well. However, if that wasn't the case, perhaps they should have Artosis do the observing instead.
Blah.
bubblegumbo
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Taiwan1296 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-14 04:35:57
September 14 2010 04:32 GMT
#333
I don't understand why GOM is using commentators to do the observing camera, the Korean commentators in BW leagues don't do that, instead they usually have an ex-progamer to do the observing.
Commentating at a high level is difficult enough already as a profession, nevermind having to watch the multitasking of two players.

Just hire a damn dedicated observer instead of saving money and having Tasteless do it.
Also Tasteless was never the most methodical and analytical commentator, he is well liked due to his personality, if anything. Artosis is the one who usually goes into in depth details about build orders, etc, and he should continue to do that to complement Tasteless.
But yea stop zooming in, it doesn't do anything for people who actually play RTS games properly, we rather see the different tab informations like APM or production queue etc or even the mini-map.

Concentrate more on the mini-map please so you don't miss out, whoever is doing the observing next time.
"I honestly think that whoever invented toilet paper is a genius. For man to survive, they need toilet paper!"- Nal_rA
Swede
Profile Joined June 2010
New Zealand853 Posts
September 14 2010 04:50 GMT
#334
My only complaint for Tastosis is that they don't know what to say during a battle. Tasteless usually says "Here we go!..." (I think he needs to say this less, btw) before a battle, but they seem to forget that they're s'posed to be commentating as the battle plays out. It doesn't even need to be anything detailed either. Just showing some excitement while giving a play by play would be good. I think this is the area that is most lacking currently.

On the other hand, I love their shtick between battles because it sounds natural to them (and it's pretty funny a lot of the time).

Overall I think they're doing a pretty good job, it just seems that they're not quite comfortable getting excited during battles, and their play by play (ie when they're not joking around, explaining or analysing, but just stating what's going on) is a little stale (example is looking into a players base, having trouble finding anything to mention then saying "Probes just mining away here in X's base"). I think that they also need to get comfortable with short silences in the meantime, because sometimes filling them with pointless information does less for the audience than just a 5 second silence.

But it's mostly just a matter of practice and getting comfortable with all aspects of commentating, not just the comedy/analytical part. Keep it up Tastosis!
NightOfTheDead
Profile Joined August 2009
Lithuania1711 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-14 07:09:35
September 14 2010 07:07 GMT
#335
First of all people, you cant expect the commentators to get you hyped over the unknown players. Tastosis can joke ( and they do it, cause they are NOT familiar with the players IT IS FIRST GSL!!!! ), but they cannot make the games better. So far there were only a bit more than handful of top notch games. It's not a Flash vs Jaedong match where they would be hyped like OMGBBQ.

We dont know players, they dont know players. The same goes with expectations, etc.etc. They do excellent job at entertaining you while at the same time trying to to get acquanted with each player and their styles. Its the begining and most of you should give them the benefit of the doubt before starting judging and critisizing.

Wait for the quarter finals, and you ll see how different it will be from now. The people who critisize Tastosis for having no passion, or speaking too calmly, or not reacting that much are pretty much all wrong. The expectations of games will go up as more better players will play each other, and Tastosis will feel the mood of great games, and therefore will try better.


I didnt see all the GSL games, but in their commenting of Grand final of BW WCG 2009 was REALLLLY awesome.
Sealteam
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Australia296 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-14 08:06:21
September 14 2010 08:03 GMT
#336
Just want to throw it out there. I love your commentating, it's improving with experience every day, your obsing is fine and constantly improving also.

Another week or two of this, you'll be full blown professionals.

Keep it up, I haven't missed a live game yet. =)

Edit: Only thing that has crossed my mind is that Artosis is at times a little over-critical of players' mistakes. Nothing major, just something to keep an eye on.
Perhaps I am just used to the day9 style of (sometimes very creatively) somewhat defending errors, even if they're fairly huge.
Nexic
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States729 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-14 11:07:34
September 14 2010 10:49 GMT
#337
Lol tasteless' obsing of the Ensare game right now is just god awful. He's just following hellions and roaches around in the middle of the map the whole time. Although both the casting and obsing have been improving as of late. But it gets annoying not seeing what's going on in players' bases for long periods of times.

Artosis' obsing was waaaay better during the technical difficulties, no offense to Tasteless but Artosis just does a much better job of navigating between key points of interest instead of just following 1 or 2 units across the map. I would rather see him as the regular cameraman.

Don't mean to sound harsh, overall really enjoying the casts :D $20 well spent.
jekstarr
Profile Joined May 2009
United States43 Posts
September 14 2010 11:02 GMT
#338
tastetosis, you guys are doing great. use the player vision function more, and, if you guys have played against one of the players, go into further depth on their style and their unique tendencies as newly emerging players in the sc2 scene. after watching the GSL of late I cant stand to watch husky or HD's videos, so keep up the good work.
sc2 platinum; nabby.426
Seraph.yongweihua
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada224 Posts
September 14 2010 11:12 GMT
#339
I've watched quite a couple of games and I really don't like tasteless and artosis's commentating. It seems slow and boring and oftentimes repetitive.
Keitzer
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States2509 Posts
September 14 2010 11:23 GMT
#340
I've seen all but 1 game... and to be honest, it's better than Husky and/or HD.. might not be saying much but it's not as bad as people are saying it is...

I know Day[9] is a friggin' pro at it, and Tasteless is his brother, but he comes like one notch below

Personally, i love their casting, especially their comedy
I'm like badass squared | KeitZer.489
Prev 1 15 16 17 18 19 27 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
CranKy Ducklings176
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 213
ProTech125
StarCraft: Brood War
Dewaltoss 205
Terrorterran 17
Bale 14
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm210
League of Legends
Doublelift5846
JimRising 740
Counter-Strike
taco 294
minikerr33
Other Games
summit1g12157
C9.Mang0373
PiLiPiLi8
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1233
BasetradeTV200
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream39
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP185
• Letter142
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
7h 22m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
8h 22m
Monday Night Weeklies
13h 22m
Replay Cast
20h 22m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 7h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 8h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 21h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.