• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:12
CEST 17:12
KST 00:12
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon108
StarCraft 2
General
Updated Continental Flags System & New Global Flag StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9450 users

APM Guilty Pleasure.. - Page 4

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
peffi
Profile Joined May 2010
Germany44 Posts
July 04 2010 20:05 GMT
#61
with 6-pool on small maps against zerg or toss (obviously) i just do what i must and then switch to online-surfing until i get my lings out^^
Najda
Profile Joined June 2010
United States3765 Posts
July 04 2010 20:10 GMT
#62
I left click my nexus, right click on a mineral, and repeat for each mineral there is in my initial base. Not only does it keep my fingers ready but it improves my mouse accuracy
perfectflaw72
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada94 Posts
July 04 2010 20:15 GMT
#63
if you hot key your hatch and your first overlord
you box your drones and press your hot keys and click on the hatch too
gets your apm to 500
B.net is down :( but Summers UP :D
threehundred
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada911 Posts
July 04 2010 20:21 GMT
#64
it really does help warm up your hands. if you feel your hands slowing you down toward the mid-game/end-game 3-5 base 160+ food supply army then you probably didn't spam enough at the start lol.
KimTaeyeon MEDIC MU fighting! ^^;;
wishbones
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
Canada2600 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-04 20:36:17
July 04 2010 20:32 GMT
#65
i guess im pro, cus i never ever ever ever ever spam to raise apm, i guess after playing this game for five years (BW in this case just noticed the forum section) that you just stop caring about apm, and you are just naturally fast. Anyone wanting to see my play pm me, i hate playing sc now days, but if i must ill try my best to squeeze a game out.
joined TL.net in 2006 (aka GMer) - http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=41944#2
SichuanPanda
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Canada1542 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-04 20:37:10
July 04 2010 20:34 GMT
#66
I hotkey as follows initially:

1. Main army
2. Production Buildings
3. Secondary Army
4. Primary Buildings (nexus/cc/hatch) and all upgrade buildings
5. More army
6. More army
7-0. - Observers

So I usually hotkey a probe to 1 at the start and nexus on 4 and spam 1,4,1,4 until I get my other buildings up. Since I played a lot of WC3 another method I use to pad APM to keep myself busy at the start of the game is to simply spam right-click to set rally points, as in WC3 spamming hero altar rally point was a common APM padding tactic. I guess old habits die hard.

Personally I only do this because while my buildings get up aside from probe scouting there isn't anything for P to be doing, so I'm essentially bored. Of course doing this on a regular basis does help you get your hands used to moving at that speed, meaning that when it comes to actually needing micro you can respond quickly and more easily. Also I type about 100 word per minute so my hands were already fast to begin with before I started playing any RTS (with the exception of BW - that game taught me how to type ).

Edit: Note as the game goes longer I'll probably end up dumping all my building into a single hotkey to have more room for army hot keys. (I basically like to hot key by unit role, (i.e. all casters on one hotkey, all melee on another, all anti-armor on another, and so on)) I'm not entirely sure why I have a predisposition for organizing my army like this but it seems to work for me, besides I quite often simply click on single units and control them individually.
i-bonjwa
Easy772
Profile Joined May 2010
374 Posts
July 04 2010 21:27 GMT
#67
On July 04 2010 23:52 Mentos wrote:
if you spam anything past early game intentionally just to keep your apm up, you're gimping yourself.
trust me it wont matter how much apm shows up in the replay when you lose due to lack of proper multitask or control, cause you're busy cycling through hotkeys without a clue.


I agree with this.. I had a friend who I played HON with that when he found out about APM he started spamming right click and other functions to get it up. What I noticed is that the more important aspects of his game like last hitting, calling 'missing', map awareness went down.
"The best way to improve is to play one matchup on one map doing one strategy.. if you are good at one strategy you are a good player, if you are okay at many strategies you are an okay player at best" -Day[9] 181
Corwintt
Profile Joined June 2010
Bulgaria85 Posts
July 04 2010 21:50 GMT
#68
I select all probes to different controls and spam 1,2,3,4,5. Also at early game when moving spam right clicking million times.
But I actually think spamming can be pretty useful. It warms your fingers and sets your mind for the game. Also as Day9 had noted, spamming your controls with gates/robos/stargates quickly gives you idea when a building is idle.
Impossible is nothing
gdroxor
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States639 Posts
July 05 2010 00:04 GMT
#69
On July 05 2010 06:50 Corwintt wrote:
I select all probes to different controls and spam 1,2,3,4,5. Also at early game when moving spam right clicking million times.
But I actually think spamming can be pretty useful. It warms your fingers and sets your mind for the game. Also as Day9 had noted, spamming your controls with gates/robos/stargates quickly gives you idea when a building is idle.


Well there's spamming to keep your APM up and warm up your hands, and then there's quickly cycling through production hotkeys to see what's being build or researched. I wouldn't really call the latter spam.
NuKedUFirst
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Canada3139 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-05 00:11:19
July 05 2010 00:09 GMT
#70
Usually spam while I make boxes or I cycle through my CC rally and rally it to minera;s and workers.
1 CC
2 Building SCV
3 Scout
I don't spam mid / late game (obviously T_T)
FrostedMiniWeet wrote: I like winning because it validates all the bloody time I waste playing SC2.
freestalker
Profile Joined March 2010
469 Posts
July 05 2010 00:26 GMT
#71
I cream my hands.. like a pro.. :D

(jk, I wonder if anyone will reply)
rbkl
Profile Joined March 2010
772 Posts
July 05 2010 00:34 GMT
#72
(5) Select Hacthes
(s) select larva
repeat
www.check6gaming.com // www.iugaming.com ** Indiana's Premier Gaming / Starcraft Community **
adi1133
Profile Joined June 2010
Romania109 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-05 00:40:45
July 05 2010 00:39 GMT
#73
imo this is a dumb thing to do ... I think many ppl do it only to bolster their ego, I constantly beat 200 Apm ppl with my avg 50 apm, spiking at 170 at battles, i view the replay and see them make bad decisions and spamming clicks jumping the screen like crazy etc ....
LE maybe its a star-craft 1 thing, I never played that game ... im coming from the command and conquer series
Old School > New School
ReachTheSky
Profile Joined April 2010
United States3294 Posts
July 05 2010 00:43 GMT
#74
I make it a habit to switch through hotkeys and and selecting units with my mouse to get into a rhythm. I basically picture it as a big circle when playing and i have to run around the circle doing things. so i start my circle in the beginning and expand it as needed(when more things need to get done)
TL+ Member
EliteAzn
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States661 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-05 01:28:47
July 05 2010 01:28 GMT
#75
On July 05 2010 00:22 Liquid`TLO wrote:
I click through all of my starting scvs + cc as fast as I can.


Just tried it. Although it is a good idea...I tend to lose track of my mineral count b/c I'm trying to click on each individual drone...-_-'. I'll stick to random worker boxes...
(╯`Д´)╯︵ ┻━┻ High Five! _o /\ o_
WolfStar
Profile Joined February 2008
United Kingdom155 Posts
July 05 2010 09:24 GMT
#76
At the start of the game I try not to forget to build probes or my first pylon.
The early bird catches the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Vei
Profile Joined March 2010
United States2845 Posts
July 05 2010 09:28 GMT
#77
When I spam APM I try to make it mimic some action I will actually be performing later in the game, so I just like siwtch from going to my overlord to my hatchery and pretending im gonna inject or scout or blah blah, basically I try to switch my viewpoints a lot so I get used to macroing. I find it more helpful than say, mass right clicking my rally point around -- unless it's to practice accuracy (right clicking only mineral patches as fast as possible).

But I mean, everyone has their tricks, preferences, etc. I do believe though that some sort of fast clicking in the early game makes transitioning into fast midgame macro more easily than going from 5 apm to the triple digits instantly.
www.justin.tv/veisc2 ~ 720p + commentary
Angra
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States2652 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-05 09:32:51
July 05 2010 09:29 GMT
#78
I spam 1234 a lot and I think it's because of Counterstrike, haha. I right click spam a lot to move units as well, and I click/drag boxes off to the side where no units are a lot as well.

Speaking of making boxes, I've always made them starting at top right and going down to bottom left. I know that a ton of people go top left to bottom right, but I could have sworn at one point that I heard someone mention that going top right to bottom left is more efficient for clicking on the minimap after grouping units, and it made complete sense to me so I started doing it, and now I just always do it that way out of habit. Does anyone else go top right to bottom left instead of top left to bottom right?
SC2Phoenix
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Canada2814 Posts
July 05 2010 09:32 GMT
#79
I can't even spam or i will forget stuff. I'll miss my second pylon and forgot to make a zealot etc.
Who the fuck has a family of fucking trees? This song is so god damn stupid. Fuck you song, fuck you and your stupid trees. -itmeJP
Santriell
Profile Joined June 2010
Belgium151 Posts
July 05 2010 09:38 GMT
#80
6-pool.
zerglings.

I win. APM ? 15. Woot your 200 APM really saved you !1!
By the clack smack cracking of my thumbs, something wicked this may comes.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 8h 48m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech142
Codebar 36
StarCraft: Brood War
EffOrt 1057
Mini 918
Soma 761
actioN 462
Rush 384
Light 332
Horang2 316
Stork 276
BeSt 266
Larva 266
[ Show more ]
Snow 236
ggaemo 236
hero 226
Killer 111
firebathero 111
Barracks 110
Aegong 102
Sea.KH 85
Zeus 79
Dewaltoss 68
Shine 61
JYJ 48
soO 43
Sexy 37
Sharp 34
Shinee 32
ToSsGirL 28
Bale 24
zelot 17
Rock 17
sorry 13
Trap 13
Terrorterran 13
Sacsri 11
Dota 2
Gorgc7258
qojqva1794
Dendi674
420jenkins165
Counter-Strike
Fnx 779
x6flipin533
edward36
fl0m0
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes4893
Khaldor571
Other Games
gofns46850
singsing1401
B2W.Neo872
byalli522
Lowko373
Mlord258
DeMusliM224
Livibee186
KnowMe180
Liquid`VortiX155
ArmadaUGS115
Trikslyr27
Chillindude20
Railgan15
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV234
WardiTV223
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream169
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH130
• StrangeGG 67
• mYiSmile117
• Kozan
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Migwel
• intothetv
• IndyKCrew
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 29
• FirePhoenix11
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV394
League of Legends
• Nemesis2366
• Jankos1805
• TFBlade618
Other Games
• Shiphtur58
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
8h 48m
Kung Fu Cup
19h 48m
The PondCast
1d 18h
OSC
1d 21h
OSC
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.