• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:45
CEST 14:45
KST 21:45
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)41Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10022 users

The decline of privacy - Would you boycott? - Page 4

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
keNNabis
Profile Joined April 2009
Canada159 Posts
May 23 2010 02:18 GMT
#61
i'll buy the game regardless.
it's still too awesome O_O
I ARE VANCOUVER CANUCK
Wr3k
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Canada2533 Posts
May 23 2010 02:25 GMT
#62
I don't see what this fuss is about, you don't have to log into facebook.
HalfAmazing
Profile Joined May 2008
Netherlands402 Posts
May 23 2010 02:26 GMT
#63
On May 23 2010 11:12 Auronz wrote:
Nobody answered me yet, the fuck can somebody do with your name that's so perverse? We know most of the well known players' names anyway, did we put a spell on them or something?
Greg Fields
Nick Plott
Sean Plott
Dan Stemkoski


There you have it, we know their names OHNOEZ!!!! What's wrong with people knowing yours? What they can do anyway? Spread bad publicity on their internet blogs? -_-'
This Privacy complaint is ridiculous it's like knowing your name allows people to see your cc number...

Now sure, the system's sucking at the moment and we need lots of fixes but seriously, I don't get the whole "Privacy" thing.


You are ignorant and don't deserve the privilege of privacy. What is your name and where do you live?
You can figure out the other half.
BLinD-RawR
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
ALLEYCAT BLUES51543 Posts
May 23 2010 02:27 GMT
#64
I'd buy the game even if things don't improve,'cause it adds more reason to play the campaign without worrying about B.NET
Brood War EICWoo Jung Ho, never forget.| Twitter: @BLinDRawR
DeCoup
Profile Joined September 2006
Australia1933 Posts
May 23 2010 02:31 GMT
#65
On May 23 2010 03:11 DrSmoke wrote:
No one ever said you had to give them your real name.

Yeah... gl with that. If you are using a fake name or address and there is a problem with your account (eg hacked or your assigned email address is no longer accessible) you have to fax blizzard your licence. If you are using fake details bad luck.

I personally will just make a second Facebook account which I use only for battle.net if I need to.
"Poor guy. I really did not deserve that win. So this is what it's like to play Protoss..." - IdrA
zJayy962
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
1363 Posts
May 23 2010 02:32 GMT
#66
On May 23 2010 03:02 cloudJR wrote:
I am still buying the game regardless of Bnet 2.0 not having channels as of right now. That being said I still find it completely necessary for Blizzard to implement channels for the actual game once it's released. Chatting, gaining friends through the game itself, and calling people out was so much fun in BW.

Actually all my friends boycotted MW2 CPU and opted for the Xbox Live version.
HalfAmazing
Profile Joined May 2008
Netherlands402 Posts
May 23 2010 02:35 GMT
#67
On May 23 2010 11:32 zJayy962 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 23 2010 03:02 cloudJR wrote:
I am still buying the game regardless of Bnet 2.0 not having channels as of right now. That being said I still find it completely necessary for Blizzard to implement channels for the actual game once it's released. Chatting, gaining friends through the game itself, and calling people out was so much fun in BW.

Actually all my friends boycotted MW2 CPU and opted for the Xbox Live version.


The more expensive version? Great boycott, dumbass.
You can figure out the other half.
Fraud
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada108 Posts
May 23 2010 02:37 GMT
#68
It's a beta. Blizzard will fix it. Relax.

Everyone seems to get into this "the sky is falling" whenever Blizzard changes things, including things we ask them to do.
cabarkapa
Profile Joined November 2009
United States1013 Posts
May 23 2010 02:38 GMT
#69
On May 23 2010 11:35 HalfAmazing wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 23 2010 11:32 zJayy962 wrote:
On May 23 2010 03:02 cloudJR wrote:
I am still buying the game regardless of Bnet 2.0 not having channels as of right now. That being said I still find it completely necessary for Blizzard to implement channels for the actual game once it's released. Chatting, gaining friends through the game itself, and calling people out was so much fun in BW.

Actually all my friends boycotted MW2 CPU and opted for the Xbox Live version.


The more expensive version? Great boycott, dumbass.

was it more than $60 on xbox360?
Jaehoon - Master strategist
Capresis
Profile Joined September 2008
United States518 Posts
May 23 2010 03:16 GMT
#70
On May 23 2010 11:37 Fraud wrote:
It's a beta. Blizzard will fix it. Relax.

Everyone seems to get into this "the sky is falling" whenever Blizzard changes things, including things we ask them to do.


They have two months to fix every wrong aspect of the game. I'm surprised there are some people who aren't the slightest bit worried about how many things they don't like about sc2 at this point in time.
Setz3R
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States455 Posts
May 23 2010 05:07 GMT
#71
I REALLY want to support Blizzard in most of their business adventures, but i SIMPLY cannot allow this blatant act of privacy breach to be "ok". They have to know its not okay to be able to just add people I know from high school that play this game because of facebook integration. While I don't even CARE about that too much, it's just weird that I have to give so many people I just met (while they are VERY nice and cool people) too much information about me.

I just also hate what they are trying to do. I saw in a thread someone said that they are giving us things to test and that the full version will come with what we've been asking. I'd like to believe that but Blizzard said that chat channels and LAN will not be into play come retail, so its hard to believe. Yeah I want to test things for Blizz, yes I would love to be apart of their communities and all their games, but this is just a lot of NOTHING they are giving us, telling us its something. Plus, when it comes to Blizzard in my experience beta testing for them, once they make up their mind....They are pretty set on it, or something like it at least.
twitch.tv/setz3r
Kalles
Profile Joined June 2008
Sweden83 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-23 06:30:34
May 23 2010 06:29 GMT
#72
I will probably buy the game regardless, for single player if nothing else.

Personally, as long as I can play SC2 without touching facebook I am happy (even if I can not access all chat functions).
IMHO if I use some free system like FB than of course I accept I do not own the data ie the data can be sold to marketing etc. But if I pay for a game, then it is my data. Generally speaking data protection laws are probably guaranteeing this partly in Sweden already, but anyway that is my point of view.


cartoon]x
Profile Joined March 2010
United States606 Posts
May 23 2010 06:33 GMT
#73
If you are adding people of your own free will to your email as "real friends" instead of merely character friends, you are choosing to allow them to see your facebook page - so again, how is this a breach of privacy? Anyway, go read blizzards official statement on this. It dispels all the worries in this thread.
It is not enough to conquer; one must learn to seduce.
Rabiator
Profile Joined March 2010
Germany3948 Posts
May 23 2010 06:36 GMT
#74
I will make an obvious fake identity for this ... the problem applies to all the social networks and it is only the first step towards the eventual Matrix, where everything about us is stored on the internet.
If you cant say what you're meaning, you can never mean what you're saying.
junemermaid
Profile Joined September 2006
United States981 Posts
May 23 2010 06:43 GMT
#75
On May 23 2010 03:11 DrSmoke wrote:
No one ever said you had to give them your real name.



This. There is no lack of privacy whatsoever. It is what you make it to be. If you want to use your primary email address with your real name, go for it. You can just as easily make a spoof email with a fake name.

Blizzard is just seeing how different things are working in the beta. We really don't know what kind of system they are going to use for the retail release. I am glad they are doing this, because it gives them a clear idea for what works and what does not.

However, I do hope Blizzard has the clarity to gauge the public's reaction & make appropriate responses.
the UMP says YER OUT
MamiyaOtaru
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States1687 Posts
May 23 2010 07:10 GMT
#76
I'm not buying this if everyone who knows someone I know can see my email address. Not only do I not want everyone having it, it seems incredibly dumb for them to just let anyone see half of your login info.
Wargizmo
Profile Joined March 2010
1237 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-23 07:42:59
May 23 2010 07:23 GMT
#77
On May 23 2010 11:12 Auronz wrote:
Nobody answered me yet, the fuck can somebody do with your name that's so perverse? We know most of the well known players' names anyway, did we put a spell on them or something?
Greg Fields
Nick Plott
Sean Plott
Dan Stemkoski


There you have it, we know their names OHNOEZ!!!! What's wrong with people knowing yours? What they can do anyway? Spread bad publicity on their internet blogs? -_-'
This Privacy complaint is ridiculous it's like knowing your name allows people to see your cc number...

Now sure, the system's sucking at the moment and we need lots of fixes but seriously, I don't get the whole "Privacy" thing.


I think you're missing the point. It's not that knowing people's names is a security risk, it's that a lot of people out there use games to take a break from their real lives and actually don't want their gaming IDs and real lives to overlap.

I'm personally fine with people knowing my name, but if I was a high profile lawyer or the president of the united states or something I wouldn't particularly want people to know that I played Starcraft for 3 hours a day, and I wouldn't want people in game to know who I was outside of the game.

If I make a phone call or write a letter to someone or talk to strangers in a bar I can choose not to reveal my real name, I believe the same right to anonymity should be present in a video game as well.
SolHeiM
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Sweden1264 Posts
May 23 2010 07:32 GMT
#78
How is people knowing your name a privacy issue? There are probably hundreds of people out there that share your name. I have a pretty unique name (for living in Sweden anyway) and I couldn't care less if a person knows my real name. It doesn't affect me in any way.

What are they going to do with your name? Look you up to try and find out where you live so they can come and beat you up because you raped them or BM'ed them in a game? Come on.
Shrewmy
Profile Joined May 2010
Australia199 Posts
May 23 2010 07:36 GMT
#79
It really isn't that big a deal.

So what if friends on your Facebook can add you on SC2?

It's like not people can directly access your facebook profile via SC2, unless they already knew who you are in the first place.

I'm not a fan of Facebook's privacy policy, but seriously guys, you're making a big fuss over nothing.

And so what if someone knows your name? Your name is not something like your SSN, or your PIN.
Craton
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States17303 Posts
May 23 2010 08:13 GMT
#80
Except there are enough fairly unique names that you can google someone and find out way more about their life than some random person on the Internet should.

Secondly, your email address is also your login name. There goes half your account security.

The whole reason it's called real-ID friends is because you're supposed to actually know them in real life, where they already know your name. You have almost no choice in the matter right now.

Semi-related, I'd love to be able to disable my name being plastered all over B.net 2.0. It's bad enough having to give out your name and email to your Internet friends, but anyone can get your name and email during a stream. A check box to hide all personal information (and change login name to asterisks), would be fantastic.
twitch.tv/cratonz
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 15m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech140
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 37393
Shuttle 2512
Horang2 985
Bisu 884
Jaedong 709
Light 613
Mini 519
BeSt 354
firebathero 330
Hyuk 297
[ Show more ]
EffOrt 263
Stork 259
Zeus 216
Soma 214
ggaemo 189
Soulkey 151
Last 149
ZerO 147
Rush 145
Snow 139
Leta 114
Killer 77
Pusan 77
hero 63
Sea.KH 61
Mong 39
Mind 36
Sharp 34
Shinee 30
Shine 29
soO 26
Bale 24
Aegong 24
sorry 23
ToSsGirL 22
Trap 18
Free 17
Sexy 16
Terrorterran 14
PianO 13
Noble 11
HiyA 11
ajuk12(nOOB) 8
JulyZerg 7
zelot 6
Icarus 5
NotJumperer 1
Dota 2
Gorgc4161
qojqva1752
Dendi979
420jenkins57
League of Legends
Reynor90
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1425
x6flipin375
markeloff107
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1960
crisheroes873
Other Games
gofns35210
singsing2148
B2W.Neo777
XBOCT351
DeMusliM186
Livibee173
Mlord157
XaKoH 136
Liquid`LucifroN112
QueenE88
Mew2King83
ArmadaUGS72
Chillindude16
ZerO(Twitch)11
Railgan9
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream180
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 6
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 73
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2213
• TFBlade695
Other Games
• WagamamaTV192
Upcoming Events
OSC
15m
Stellar Fest
15m
Serral vs herO
Solar vs Shino
Maru vs Clem
SHIN vs GgMaChine
TaKeTV 42
OSC
11h 15m
Stellar Fest
1d
CranKy Ducklings
1d 21h
Online Event
1d 22h
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
[ Show More ]
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.