• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:02
CEST 20:02
KST 03:02
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)48Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8564 users

The decline of privacy - Would you boycott? - Page 5

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Kanil
Profile Joined April 2010
United States1713 Posts
May 23 2010 08:23 GMT
#81
On May 23 2010 11:31 DeCoup wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 23 2010 03:11 DrSmoke wrote:
No one ever said you had to give them your real name.

Yeah... gl with that. If you are using a fake name or address and there is a problem with your account (eg hacked or your assigned email address is no longer accessible) you have to fax blizzard your licence. If you are using fake details bad luck.

I personally will just make a second Facebook account which I use only for battle.net if I need to.

I didn't know you needed a license to play StarCraft...

I'll just make another account, using whatever name and e-mail address I find suitable, and then complain about it constantly. I really like complaining, after all.
I used to have an Oz icon over here ---->
NihiloZero
Profile Joined March 2010
United States68 Posts
May 23 2010 08:52 GMT
#82
On May 23 2010 03:06 TLOBrian wrote:

Whining about whine just adds to the situation, no?

Go. A. Way. : P


Whining about whining about whine just... oh, nevermind. ;P
Terran are the plague!
Shouryu
Profile Joined April 2010
Norway132 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-23 08:58:43
May 23 2010 08:58 GMT
#83
I use facebook and I play sc2, an integration between the two of them won't hurt me in any way.
Though I prefer the identifiers too, I don't see me adding internet friends to my facebook friend list because I want to add them to my sc2 friend list.

No, I don't think I would boycott the game, it depends on what my real-life friends do.
</post>
Emon_
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
3925 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-23 09:02:57
May 23 2010 09:02 GMT
#84
I'm staying away from it. Blizzard is in it for the money, not for the love of games or gamers. They should change their name to EA-2 and pump out a new Starcraft every year. BW works just fine for me.
"I know that human beings and fish can coexist peacefully" -GWB ||
MamiyaOtaru
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States1687 Posts
May 23 2010 10:05 GMT
#85
On May 23 2010 17:13 Craton wrote:
Except there are enough fairly unique names that you can google someone and find out way more about their life than some random person on the Internet should.

Secondly, your email address is also your login name. There goes half your account security.

This and this. Not playing any games until this changes. Which yeah, could mean a long time.

Sure I can set up a Blizzard account with a fake name (I'm sure they'll love that) which would mitigate a lot of my complaints, but it does nothing for point 2.
Prometheus2011
Profile Joined March 2010
Kazakhstan76 Posts
May 23 2010 10:12 GMT
#86

Sure I can set up a Blizzard account with a fake name (I'm sure they'll love that) which would mitigate a lot of my complaints, but it does nothing for point 2.


Using a fake name is against the TOS. It is literally against the rules for you to access the Battle.Net servers through SC2 without using your real name. If you do so, you may legally be kicked/banned/have your account revoked without any legal means of defense.
I intend to live forever... so far so good.
Deleted User 55994
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
949 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-23 10:15:49
May 23 2010 10:15 GMT
#87
I don't mind the facebook thing, what I mind is being forced to use it by the removal of identifiers.


I'll buy the game and cry
KULA_u
Profile Joined March 2010
Switzerland107 Posts
May 23 2010 10:18 GMT
#88
boycotting doesn't mean we're not gonna play it :D
crappen
Profile Joined April 2010
Norway1546 Posts
May 23 2010 10:18 GMT
#89
On May 23 2010 02:58 m3rciless wrote:
LOL, no ones gonna boycott SC2. This is like those stupid kids who want dedicated servers or something for MW2 and they all claimed they were going to boycott and then bam on release day they all bought and played it.

Suck. It. Up. Its already clear that the community disapproves of aspects of SC2 right now, that was made clear in kennigits thread. Stop making stupid whine threads like this.


I was one of those people wanting dedicated, and guess what, I have learned my lesson. I will never ever buy another CoD game, and it will literally take a miracle for them to gain MY trust with another of their game ever again.

So if SC2 fails at start, and I dont see progress, I will NOT buy their 2 next expansions, simply because I have lost all faith in Blizzard. A company with such a great rumour can be destroyed, and gaining our trust again will be very hard.
Tadzio
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
3340 Posts
May 23 2010 10:26 GMT
#90
If they forced me to get facebook, I'd boycott. But I think I'll still buy SC2 with the current friend system. Primarily because I expect them to fix it. I'm confident they're not going to leave things the way they are. Blizzard's the creator of WoW... they MUST appreciate how important easy communication between gamers is for online gaming.
MamiyaOtaru
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States1687 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-23 10:51:09
May 23 2010 10:48 GMT
#91
On May 23 2010 19:12 Prometheus2011 wrote:
Show nested quote +

Sure I can set up a Blizzard account with a fake name (I'm sure they'll love that) which would mitigate a lot of my complaints, but it does nothing for point 2.


Using a fake name is against the TOS. It is literally against the rules for you to access the Battle.Net servers through SC2 without using your real name. If you do so, you may legally be kicked/banned/have your account revoked without any legal means of defense.

MamiyaOtaru wrote:

(I'm sure they'll love that)

hi there maybe you noticed some of my sarcastic understatement

Which leaves me with "Not playing any games until this changes."
Liquid`Jinro
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Sweden33719 Posts
May 23 2010 11:26 GMT
#92
I'd buy it, then I'd go play on a private server. I'd buy it because I respect the work that went into making the actual game. I'd play on private servers because the people who made battle.net 2.0 don't know what the fuck they are doing.
Moderatortell the guy that interplanatar interaction is pivotal to terrans variety of optionitudals in the pre-midgame preperatories as well as the protosstinal deterriggation of elite zergling strikes - Stimey n | Formerly FrozenArbiter
Jugan
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States1566 Posts
May 23 2010 11:35 GMT
#93
Well technically i already bought the game...

But honestly being on battle.net 2.0 is like being in a wasteland for me. Cold, dreary, and lonely.
Even a Savior couldn't fix all problems. www.twitch.tv/xJugan
Seltsam
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States343 Posts
May 23 2010 11:44 GMT
#94
Pfft Starcraft 2 is a crapton o' fun. The difficulty behind adding friends is rather minor, even in general. And I'm certainly not going to miss out on the awsomeness of the game just to send Blizzard a message they have already received 80,000 times.
Team Limited ftw! www.teamltd.net
deadalnix
Profile Joined May 2010
France120 Posts
May 23 2010 12:23 GMT
#95
On May 23 2010 16:32 SolHeiM wrote:
How is people knowing your name a privacy issue? There are probably hundreds of people out there that share your name. I have a pretty unique name (for living in Sweden anyway) and I couldn't care less if a person knows my real name. It doesn't affect me in any way.

What are they going to do with your name? Look you up to try and find out where you live so they can come and beat you up because you raped them or BM'ed them in a game? Come on.


It's funny to see how people reverse the logic in this kind of situation. People concerned by theyre privacy have to justify themselves. Actually, giving a real name isn't related at all with playing to a game like starcraft 2. Giving information to blizzard about who's your real friends or not isn't related at all with playing a game like SC2.

I know how things work in sweden, with unique ID. I know how it make many things way simpler. I also know that is you implement the same system in France, it would just be a nighmare. Because the culture of these 2 country is different and people will not react the same way. And france is a democratic country.

People may have so many reason to not give theyre name and not wanted to tel who are their real friends are to a compagny simply to play a videogame. Actually, you are reversing the question.

The problem isn't « What's wrong with giving my name » but « what's wrong with not giving my name ? ».

We have a tournament we organize between french people on another forum. We had to cancel the season 4 because so many player didn't want to give tey're real names. This is already an issue.
Aurdon
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2007 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-23 12:31:18
May 23 2010 12:30 GMT
#96
If you're worried about your privacy, don't use facebook and set up an email account just for playing battle.net games. Most privacy conscious people don't use facebook anyways because it's obvious that facebook cares more about advertisers than it's customers. Also, creating an extra email account to give out to people for adding you as a friend is like a 2 minute fix. I would suggest having a couple of different email accounts for your private use and public use across the internet anyways.

If you really really want this kind of thing to stop, STOP USING FACEBOOK. Tell your friends and family to stop using facebook. It's a horribly unprivate place and so long as people keep using it, other companies will keep integrating it.
4Servy
Profile Joined August 2008
Netherlands1542 Posts
May 23 2010 12:42 GMT
#97
I'd buy it, then I'd go play on a private server. I'd buy it because I respect the work that went into making the actual game. I'd play on private servers because the people who made battle.net 2.0 don't know what the fuck they are doing.

prety much wins the thread imo, hope iccup will get a SC2 client.
spinesheath
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Germany8679 Posts
May 23 2010 12:46 GMT
#98
On May 23 2010 21:42 4Servy wrote:
Show nested quote +
I'd buy it, then I'd go play on a private server. I'd buy it because I respect the work that went into making the actual game. I'd play on private servers because the people who made battle.net 2.0 don't know what the fuck they are doing.

prety much wins the thread imo, hope iccup will get a SC2 client.

There is no chance that Blizzard will allow a public 3rd party server within the next 5 years. Don't get your hopes up.
If you have a good reason to disagree with the above, please tell me. Thank you.
Daniri
Profile Joined May 2007
387 Posts
May 23 2010 12:48 GMT
#99
There's no difference between your two buy options, you're still buying it regardless even if you complain about it.
"you guys are silly lol thats why i hate you people" berserkboar
XGDragon
Profile Joined September 2008
Netherlands61 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-23 13:26:07
May 23 2010 13:25 GMT
#100
And even if you would, who cares? Names can be taken off the street, and in a massive database you shouldn't ever think anyone would care. Your just a number, enjoy the game.

Even if they removed the multiplayer, I'd still buy it for the singleplayer and it's awesome CGI.

I should quote more.. I posted this when that french guy post was the last one.
My current qq: TvT hellions are boring to watch :(
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 2
IntoTheiNu 1036
ComeBackTV 894
TaKeTV 558
SteadfastSC504
LamboSC2361
IndyStarCraft 216
Rex105
EnkiAlexander 69
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 504
LamboSC2 361
mouzHeroMarine 306
IndyStarCraft 216
ProTech151
Rex 105
UpATreeSC 101
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 25563
firebathero 203
Rush 130
ToSsGirL 32
Trap 24
Bale 19
Shine 17
Sexy 15
Djem5 7
Dota 2
Gorgc7186
qojqva1612
420jenkins141
Counter-Strike
fl0m1645
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1926
crisheroes1264
Liquid`Hasu545
XaKoH 181
MindelVK11
Other Games
Grubby2063
ceh9840
FrodaN744
Beastyqt603
ArmadaUGS192
Hui .170
KnowMe139
QueenE114
C9.Mang0112
Trikslyr76
Mew2King65
Dewaltoss48
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream74
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Reevou 5
• Adnapsc2 4
• intothetv
• Migwel
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• IndyKCrew
• Kozan
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 27
• FirePhoenix13
• 80smullet 7
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• Nemesis2656
League of Legends
• TFBlade1113
Other Games
• imaqtpie784
• WagamamaTV266
• Shiphtur213
Upcoming Events
OSC
5h 58m
Stellar Fest
18h 58m
OSC
1d 3h
CranKy Ducklings
1d 15h
Online Event
1d 16h
FEL
1d 21h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 22h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.