• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:48
CEST 20:48
KST 03:48
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)59Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games BW General Discussion Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7327 users

TL Fitness Initiative (Weight Loss/Gain) - Page 49

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 47 48 49 50 51 119 Next
Energies
Profile Blog Joined September 2003
Australia3225 Posts
July 28 2009 14:24 GMT
#961
Nice one dude, regardless of whether you want to get bigger or lose fat, you have to do squats!

I only squat 180-220lb but I up the reps.
"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but dont nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight" - Ronnie Coleman.
Amber[LighT]
Profile Blog Joined June 2005
United States5078 Posts
July 28 2009 14:42 GMT
#962
Throwing in an update I am 163 lbs as of this month. I'm going to try and regulate it between 165 and 170 and cut down on the extra calories.

I feel good to be honest, most of the difference came between January and March and May and July. Gonna keep going for the rest of the year and tone up.
"We have unfinished business, I and he."
TanGeng
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Sanya12364 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-07-28 15:57:31
July 28 2009 15:37 GMT
#963
Wow Amber, that's really good. I hope you feel a lot stronger. As for your weight, you must look rather impressive. 5'8'' 165 is a lot of muscle! - Hopefully not too much fat!

As of this moment, I'm at 157.6 lb. No change from last week in weight at least. Suffered through a bout of unhealthy sleep schedule and thus unhealthy diet schedule. Work out still feels great. After running a bit I realized that my ABs are really strong but my back is really really weak. So I'm doing several sets of back-extention whenever I go into the gym for my erg machine exercises.

I still haven't been able to do a full hour on the erg. I'm going to stick with my 6k routine until I get better intensity/endurance. Instead I'm filling it up with some weights. The gym routine looks like:

1k warm up erging 4:30/rest 1:30
2x2k erg 8:00 / rest 2:00
1k cool down erging 5:00/ done

2 x 20 back extensions no weights
2 x 15 back extensions 6 lbs
2 x 15 back extensions 12 lbs

20 x 125 lbs bench press
15 x 135 lbs bench press
10 x 145 lbs bench press
10 x 155 lbs bench press
10 x 165 lbs bench press

4 x 15 AB wheels
3 x 15 x 120 lbs Lat Pulls
4 x 25 decline situps
3 x 15 x 110 lbs Tricep extensions

The whole thing takes about 1:30 and it hurts so much the next day. I can barely move but it feels so good. I'm also starting to see some really good definition around the abdominals despite staying around the same weight.
Moderator我们是个踏实的赞助商模式俱乐部
zeppelin
Profile Joined December 2007
United States565 Posts
July 28 2009 15:59 GMT
#964
On July 26 2009 12:03 eshlow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 26 2009 12:00 zeppelin wrote:
On July 26 2009 02:27 eshlow wrote:
On July 26 2009 01:56 zeppelin wrote:
how much is a reasonable amount of weight to lose cleanly and how long should it take? I'm getting close to reaching my strength goals and I would like to cut down, but I'm not sure long I'm supposed to do it or how intensely. I don't want to starve myself just to reach some arbitrary weight quickly and lose too much good weight along with the bad

edit: 5'11" 180 lbs, ~18% bf after months of on and off regular exercise (injury and illness and business travel being the limiting factors) and extremely dirty bulking i.e. I've eaten like complete garbage just to gain weight with the expectation I could work off the fat once I hit my goals


1 lbs or ~500 calories per day deficit

Clean eating + heavy lifting + metabolic/interval work tends to work the best to change body composition.


So should I be changing my lifting routine at all while doing this or just try to work in more cardio on top of everything else?


What exactly are you doing right now for lifting/exercise? What are you eating?


I lift 3x a week and run about 3-5 miles a week (either 1 day of cardio or running to/from the gym ~1 mile round trip). I eat a lot of takeout and fast food because I don't cook very often (bad) but I try to mitigate this by ordering grilled chicken or turkey subs instead of getting cheeseburgers and limiting my soda intake. I probably eat 3000 calories a day or so, maybe more, and I only drink a couple times a month.

Lifting is broken up into 3 days: push, pull, and legs, trying to work in more free weights (i'm about 50/50 lever and cable/free weights right now)
unknown.sam
Profile Joined May 2007
Philippines2701 Posts
July 29 2009 13:45 GMT
#965
hey guys, i had another question about workouts. this time it's not about the actual exercises, but the diet...what would be a good pre/post workout meal?? or more directly, what do you guys have before and after an intense workout??
"Thanks for the kind words, but if SS is the most interesting book you've ever read, you must have just started reading a couple of weeks ago." - Mark Rippetoe
Energies
Profile Blog Joined September 2003
Australia3225 Posts
July 29 2009 13:58 GMT
#966
I'm at a cutting phase at the moment so I don't really have a pre-workout meal, I am relying on supplements to get me through. I Might have A meal 3-4 hours beforehand though. Post workout I usually try and get in a high carb protein shake, as I've read somewhere it's a lot more important replacing your sugar levels than taking in a ton of protein after a workout. Something about replacing your glycogen levels, I'm some one of the nutritionist in this thread will be able to clarify on that one. When I get home I have a lean protein with either vegetables or some rice. So either chicken or fish, sometimes some sort of seafood or red meat.
"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but dont nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight" - Ronnie Coleman.
Energies
Profile Blog Joined September 2003
Australia3225 Posts
July 29 2009 14:03 GMT
#967
A note on my own progression, I'm seeing results very, very slowly. The last few ounces of fat are incredibly hard to burn off it seems. I am going to the gym 5-6 times a week, doing cardio at least 4 times a week. And I work out with a lot of intensity, couple hours a night with very little rest between sets and that doesn't include my cardio, diet is still clean and I've stopped going out drinking every single weekend.

I guess all it takes now is time, unless anyone has any advice to get over this minor plateau?

I might post a progression photo next week.
"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but dont nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight" - Ronnie Coleman.
unknown.sam
Profile Joined May 2007
Philippines2701 Posts
July 29 2009 14:12 GMT
#968
On July 29 2009 22:58 Energies wrote:
I'm at a cutting phase at the moment so I don't really have a pre-workout meal, I am relying on supplements to get me through. I Might have A meal 3-4 hours beforehand though. Post workout I usually try and get in a high carb protein shake, as I've read somewhere it's a lot more important replacing your sugar levels than taking in a ton of protein after a workout. Something about replacing your glycogen levels, I'm some one of the nutritionist in this thread will be able to clarify on that one. When I get home I have a lean protein with either vegetables or some rice. So either chicken or fish, sometimes some sort of seafood or red meat.

so what does ur protein shake consist of?? i've read about a few shakes but the gatorade one (whey and gatorade) seems to be the easiest to make.
"Thanks for the kind words, but if SS is the most interesting book you've ever read, you must have just started reading a couple of weeks ago." - Mark Rippetoe
Energies
Profile Blog Joined September 2003
Australia3225 Posts
July 29 2009 14:15 GMT
#969
I just buy the pre-made ones from the gym. Otherwise I just drink Gatorade and then when I get home I have a protein shake, 1-2 scoops of whey with 2% milk and 30 min later dinner.
"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but dont nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight" - Ronnie Coleman.
unknown.sam
Profile Joined May 2007
Philippines2701 Posts
July 29 2009 14:20 GMT
#970
On July 29 2009 23:15 Energies wrote:
I just buy the pre-made ones from the gym. Otherwise I just drink Gatorade and then when I get home I have a protein shake, 1-2 scoops of whey with 2% milk and 30 min later dinner.

oh ok thanks for that
"Thanks for the kind words, but if SS is the most interesting book you've ever read, you must have just started reading a couple of weeks ago." - Mark Rippetoe
thedeadhaji *
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
39489 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-07-29 16:10:57
July 29 2009 16:10 GMT
#971
protein shake recipes

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/proteinshakes.htm

It's generally some combination of

Milk
Water/Ice
Fruit (dried or raw)
Nuts
Protein (duh)
Oats/Bran
Yogrut
Peanut Butter


I'm 5-6 weeks into following a lean, controlled diet and over the last few days I'm finding myself DYING of hunger during the day even though I'm eating exactly what I have been the last month+. One explanation is that my metabolism is higher, another is that I've unknowingly lowered some part of my diet too much.

I basically cloned Energies' diet and it goes something like this.

7am - 5 egg whites, 2 bananas
10am - High fiber salad w/ canned tuna
12pm - brown rice + chicken breast or salmon
3pm - brown rice + chicken breast or salmon (like 1/2-2/3 my lunch portion)
6pm - Milkshake - skim milk + banana + dried fruit + bran cereal + a few scoops of plain yogrut (dont really need the protein atm b/c my schedule doesnt really allow me to properly work out T_T)
9pm - brown rice + chicken breast / salmon

Going to work on figuring out the calories and carbs throughout the day to see if I'm just simply lacking somewhere.
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
July 30 2009 02:37 GMT
#972
On July 29 2009 00:59 zeppelin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 26 2009 12:03 eshlow wrote:
On July 26 2009 12:00 zeppelin wrote:
On July 26 2009 02:27 eshlow wrote:
On July 26 2009 01:56 zeppelin wrote:
how much is a reasonable amount of weight to lose cleanly and how long should it take? I'm getting close to reaching my strength goals and I would like to cut down, but I'm not sure long I'm supposed to do it or how intensely. I don't want to starve myself just to reach some arbitrary weight quickly and lose too much good weight along with the bad

edit: 5'11" 180 lbs, ~18% bf after months of on and off regular exercise (injury and illness and business travel being the limiting factors) and extremely dirty bulking i.e. I've eaten like complete garbage just to gain weight with the expectation I could work off the fat once I hit my goals


1 lbs or ~500 calories per day deficit

Clean eating + heavy lifting + metabolic/interval work tends to work the best to change body composition.


So should I be changing my lifting routine at all while doing this or just try to work in more cardio on top of everything else?


What exactly are you doing right now for lifting/exercise? What are you eating?


I lift 3x a week and run about 3-5 miles a week (either 1 day of cardio or running to/from the gym ~1 mile round trip). I eat a lot of takeout and fast food because I don't cook very often (bad) but I try to mitigate this by ordering grilled chicken or turkey subs instead of getting cheeseburgers and limiting my soda intake. I probably eat 3000 calories a day or so, maybe more, and I only drink a couple times a month.

Lifting is broken up into 3 days: push, pull, and legs, trying to work in more free weights (i'm about 50/50 lever and cable/free weights right now)


Um, well, if your lifts aren't above intermediate level for your weight you're generally better off with free weights full body routine. 1x a week for each push/pull/legs isn't that great.

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.htm

Otherwise, you can work in the mileage like that I suppose if that's your overall goal. But if your goal isn't to run distances but to look better or increase performance it's generally better to do intervals or other metabolic work when you're at novice/intermediate level. Much faster results.


On July 29 2009 22:45 unknown.sam wrote:
hey guys, i had another question about workouts. this time it's not about the actual exercises, but the diet...what would be a good pre/post workout meal?? or more directly, what do you guys have before and after an intense workout??


You can go with a shake like above.... but it's also good to eat good food. Like fruits/vegis/meat, etc.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
thedeadhaji *
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
39489 Posts
July 30 2009 09:31 GMT
#973
So like I mentioned earlier, I had been feeling incredibly hungry / weak the past few days, and today I realized that I felt like I did when my blood sugar dropped too low while on a cycling tour.

So I KNEW I had to figure out exactly how many calories I was consuming. I felt so horrible the last 2-3 days that something had to be wrong.

So I did the calorie counting, and what do you know, my math turned out the number 1616 calories.

LOL even if I underestimated it by like 10%, I'm still definitely on the low side. Prolly need to inflate it to 2000'ish for my own wellbeing T___T

I guess this solves it for now lol
unknown.sam
Profile Joined May 2007
Philippines2701 Posts
July 30 2009 10:52 GMT
#974
On July 30 2009 01:10 thedeadhaji wrote:
protein shake recipes

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/proteinshakes.htm

It's generally some combination of

Milk
Water/Ice
Fruit (dried or raw)
Nuts
Protein (duh)
Oats/Bran
Yogrut
Peanut Butter

I'm 5-6 weeks into following a lean, controlled diet and over the last few days I'm finding myself DYING of hunger during the day even though I'm eating exactly what I have been the last month+. One explanation is that my metabolism is higher, another is that I've unknowingly lowered some part of my diet too much.

Going to work on figuring out the calories and carbs throughout the day to see if I'm just simply lacking somewhere.

thanks for the list of protein shakes. i'll be sure to try one of them when i get sick of the gatorade one lol.

and about your calorie intake, 1616 seems really low...that's about the amount of calories i should be taking if i wanted to lose a pound a week (im currently ~130lbs)

oh yeah, i got my computations from this site:
http://www.hpathy.com/healthtools/calories-need.asp

"Thanks for the kind words, but if SS is the most interesting book you've ever read, you must have just started reading a couple of weeks ago." - Mark Rippetoe
thedeadhaji *
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
39489 Posts
July 30 2009 11:00 GMT
#975
Ah thanks for the link! <3

Ya I'm DEFINITELY undergoing starvation - don't really need to even check the website, my symptoms are telling me it's the case! P

LOOOL my "lose 1lb/week" calorie intake is 2100.

Talk about undershooting, ffs.

brb eating a 20% larger dinner than last night lol
funkie
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Venezuela9377 Posts
August 03 2009 20:26 GMT
#976
I need to start eating like a fucker if I want to get more ripped and shit.

T_T;

fuck.
CJ Entusman #6! · Strength is the basis of athletic ability. -Rippetoe /* http://j.mp/TL-App <- TL iPhone App 2.0! */
Cheerio
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
Ukraine3178 Posts
August 03 2009 21:24 GMT
#977
5 weeks into training: not a single missed workout and +3-3,5 kg of weight (muscle I hope . Still too scinny at 60 kg and 178 sm.

GL to all you guys reaching your goals: fitness is definately worth it.
TanGeng
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Sanya12364 Posts
August 04 2009 01:05 GMT
#978
On August 04 2009 06:24 Cheerio wrote:
5 weeks into training: not a single missed workout and +3-3,5 kg of weight (muscle I hope . Still too scinny at 60 kg and 178 sm.

GL to all you guys reaching your goals: fitness is definately worth it.


Whoa, you're 60kg!!! Yeah go put on 15kg!!
Moderator我们是个踏实的赞助商模式俱乐部
psion0011
Profile Joined December 2008
Canada720 Posts
August 04 2009 04:42 GMT
#979
On August 04 2009 06:24 Cheerio wrote:
5 weeks into training: not a single missed workout and +3-3,5 kg of weight (muscle I hope . Still too scinny at 60 kg and 178 sm.

GL to all you guys reaching your goals: fitness is definately worth it.

Yeah it's almost kind of disgusting how fit someone can look just by going to the gym 3 times a week, 1-1.5 hours each time. You can easily look as good as Michael Phelps, a serious athlete who trains for like 8 hours a day.
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
August 06 2009 03:27 GMT
#980
On August 04 2009 13:42 psion0011 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 04 2009 06:24 Cheerio wrote:
5 weeks into training: not a single missed workout and +3-3,5 kg of weight (muscle I hope . Still too scinny at 60 kg and 178 sm.

GL to all you guys reaching your goals: fitness is definately worth it.

Yeah it's almost kind of disgusting how fit someone can look just by going to the gym 3 times a week, 1-1.5 hours each time. You can easily look as good as Michael Phelps, a serious athlete who trains for like 8 hours a day.


Not really...

I mean most of weight changes are nutrition related. If you're overweight or underweight it's fairly easy to fix. Then if you add weight training the body composition you can get as a beginner is amazing.

After 3-5 workouts of an hour or so... anymore than that is really just along the lines of diminishing returns so for most people not worth it.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
Prev 1 47 48 49 50 51 119 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 12m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
UpATreeSC 240
ProTech164
BRAT_OK 52
MindelVK 26
JuggernautJason20
CosmosSc2 19
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 23630
Shuttle 694
Hyuk 174
White-Ra 140
Dewaltoss 98
firebathero 76
Trap 48
ToSsGirL 28
Sacsri 23
Shine 19
[ Show more ]
Bale 17
Rock 16
Dota 2
Gorgc9761
qojqva1524
Counter-Strike
fl0m1560
Fnx 811
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King89
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby2113
Khaldor1361
crisheroes1314
Liquid`Hasu460
Other Games
summit1g4186
FrodaN1534
Beastyqt638
Mlord318
XBOCT296
C9.Mang0185
ArmadaUGS179
QueenE83
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV236
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream57
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH325
• StrangeGG 75
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 16
• FirePhoenix7
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie937
• Shiphtur329
Upcoming Events
OSC
3h 12m
CranKy Ducklings
15h 12m
Online Event
16h 12m
FEL
21h 12m
AI Arena Tournament
22h 12m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 15h
INu's Battles
1d 17h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.