• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:47
CEST 01:47
KST 08:47
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7360 users

TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 - Page 33

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 31 32 33 34 35 234 Next
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
April 09 2015 16:06 GMT
#641
Tell chicago if they don't let you in you will deadlift their school until it falls apart. Athens is in the middle of fucking nowhere. But Ohio University (i assume that's where you're going?) is a decent size school so there will be some fun stuff to do. Although it will be summer so maybe not. You're definitely going to want to do some traveling because ohio sucks and there's way more fun places to be in the summer in America. On the bright side you're semi-close to the best roller coaster park in the world, Cedar Point.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
sJarl
Profile Joined September 2010
Iceland1699 Posts
April 09 2015 16:19 GMT
#642
lol, cant deadlift for shit at the moment but am working on that since I'll be staying with the orthopedic / sport medicine department which is nice.

I've heard that the only proper route to Ohio is out of it lol.

I think I'll be somewhat close to OU but more likely around the OhioHealth O'Bleness Hospital (since it is a clinical rotation).

But I'll try to get around as much as possible during the stay if I'm not locked in at the hospital and at least find a gym to train at.
"Witness!" - Karsa Orlong
Philozovic
Profile Joined August 2012
France1677 Posts
April 09 2015 16:57 GMT
#643
On April 09 2015 22:36 mordek wrote:
I can't offer you qualified coaching but are you able to establish a good rack position without catching? For example just walking up to a bar in the squat rack and having your humerus get parallel with the ground? If you struggle to get in that position with your shoulder mobility than there's no way you'll get into a stable catch and front squat without being properly organized.



On April 09 2015 23:11 decafchicken wrote:
You're pretty decent off the floor. Around the knees you start using your arms to pull too much where you should have relaxed arms and using your lats to keep the bar close to your body. Bar is too far away from your body when you're finishing the pull, extend more at the hips and knees and don't jump up on to your toes so much (you'll come up on your toes a bit naturally during knee rebend/finishing the pull properly). Rack the bar better, get your elbows up and the bar into a solid rack position even if you have to loosen your grip on the bar as you pull it in. Your elbows are slow because your arms are tense and your pulling with them. Relaxed arms are fast arms. First part of your jerk doesn't look to bad. You need to get your front foot out more (shin should be perpendicular to the ground, knee shouldn't be past your ankle) and your back foot facing forwards/turned in slightly (this will help square up your hips). Lockout was pretty poor. Arms need to be relaxed on the jerk for a fast lockout, really extend your arms and actively catch it in the lockout position.
I'm going to hazard a guess that you need to do a lot of hip and shoulder mobility as well as glute and rotator cuff activation exercises. Also, start eating about 5000 calories a day and doing tons of front/back squats. You need to put some meat on your bones. A lot of work from the high hang and hang focusing on relaxing your arms, keeping the bar close, and finishing your pull will help you a lot.

Congrats on the PR, keep up the work!


Thanks both, my rack position is that bad ? I didn't realize I felt that front squating wasn't really a problem.
I know I have a lot of issue with hips mobility but I though shoulder wasn't really an issue I was wrong then.

I know i'm way too skiny but I'm making progress !!! 67kg monday +19 since startin college + 9 since september
I already squat 4 times a week (twice back and twice front) since January 5x5 each time (70 and 55 as of now)

What kind of mobility and activator exercices would you advice me ?

Thanks
INnoVation is the absolute best | I wept for i knew his words to be true
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
April 09 2015 17:13 GMT
#644
I would google mobilitywod rack position and watch everything!
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-04-09 19:00:22
April 09 2015 18:59 GMT
#645
I like these, especially the clamshells (i use a band around my knees) and the single leg deadlift progression.
http://www.jtsstrength.com/articles/2014/04/09/glute-activation/

http://bretcontreras.com/about-me/
Scroll down to the "Glutes" articles section, there's pretty much everything you could ever want to know.

Shoulders:
https://www.youtube.com/results?q=mwod shoulder mobility
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-04-09 20:31:45
April 09 2015 20:31 GMT
#646
On April 10 2015 01:19 sJarl wrote:
lol, cant deadlift for shit at the moment but am working on that since I'll be staying with the orthopedic / sport medicine department which is nice.

I've heard that the only proper route to Ohio is out of it lol.

I think I'll be somewhat close to OU but more likely around the OhioHealth O'Bleness Hospital (since it is a clinical rotation).

But I'll try to get around as much as possible during the stay if I'm not locked in at the hospital and at least find a gym to train at.

I've spent about 22 years of my life in Ohio (I'm 26), and I'll say that you might be surprised when you end up liking it more than you expect. Midwesterners are pretty friendly, and they tend to love foreigners. Depending on how long you're in the state, make sure you visit Cedar Point (if you like roller coasters), check out Hocking Hills as Mordek said (it's one of the only geographically pleasing areas in the state), see an OSU game (if you like drinking beer/bullshitting about American Football in one of the biggest crowds in the country), and check out Cincinnati/Cleveland's food scenes if culinary tourism i your thing.

Oh yeah, Athens has some really creepy places, so definitely check out the asylum and what not if that's your thing.
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
Philozovic
Profile Joined August 2012
France1677 Posts
April 10 2015 18:23 GMT
#647
On April 10 2015 03:59 decafchicken wrote:
I like these, especially the clamshells (i use a band around my knees) and the single leg deadlift progression.
http://www.jtsstrength.com/articles/2014/04/09/glute-activation/

http://bretcontreras.com/about-me/
Scroll down to the "Glutes" articles section, there's pretty much everything you could ever want to know.

Shoulders:
https://www.youtube.com/results?q=mwod shoulder mobility


Thank you so much
INnoVation is the absolute best | I wept for i knew his words to be true
MtlGuitarist97
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States1539 Posts
April 10 2015 23:05 GMT
#648
Monday

Squat - 175x6x3
Deadlift - 225x6x2
Front Squat - 155x8x3

Tuesday

Bench Press - 145x6x3
Barbell Row - 155x6x3
Overhead Press - 105x6x1
Pullups - BW+30x6x1
Barbell Shrugs - 155x12x3
Lateral Raises - 20x12x3

Friday
Pause Squat - 145x4x6
Pause Deadlift - 195x4x3
Front Squat - 155x8x3

+ Show Spoiler [summary of the workouts] +
Overall not bad so far this week. On Monday the squats were really easy, the deadlifts were mildly challenging, and the front squats were pretty tough. I wasn't ever really in fear of not being able to hit all of the planned reps though. On Tuesday, everything was really easy except for the barbell rows. I had to switch over to more Pendlay-style rows since it's too hard for me to maintain the position of bodybuilding-style bent over rows. The accessory work was easy though. Going to increase the amount of weight for barbell shrugs tomorrow and I'll probably try to use 25s for the lateral raises tomorrow. Today nothing was particularly bad. The pause squats were a little annoying cause my stomach was killing me, but they were really easy in terms of the weight. The pause deadlifts were again super easy. The front squats were much easier than before, although my fingers feel a little sore by the end of the eighth set.

I should be able to progress fairly easily on every exercise for next week. The front squats seem to be helping a lot for my quad strength, but we'll have to see as I get closer and closer to my previous 5rm for back squats.


In other news, I'm going to Disney World next Thursday at 3 in the morning, so I can't actually lift on Thursday-Sunday. I also got two more pairs of 2.5 lb plates and I got a set of microplates that will hopefully last me for a long time to come. It should help a lot for adding weight to pull ups and maybe OHP when I'm in college. I don't think I'll need it much until college, but they're really portable. I got a $75 Visa gift card for some volunteer work I did for the last three years so I decided to finally buy some microplates :D
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
April 10 2015 23:47 GMT
#649
Cool "off" day:

OHP 77.5kgx3x8
Dips 25kg x30 x26 x20

OHS walks for the lulz



Cool video, in case anyone is looking for extra assistance exercises. Guy in the video was second at last Worlds u69kg, behind super human Liao Hui.
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7681 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-04-10 23:51:48
April 10 2015 23:51 GMT
#650
Jumping squats with 225 rofl.

EDIT: that may be substantially less than 225, can anyone tell what it is?
The unrealistic sound of these propositions is indicative, not of their utopian character, but of the strength of the forces which prevent their realization.
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
April 11 2015 00:01 GMT
#651
On April 11 2015 08:51 IgnE wrote:
Jumping squats with 225 rofl.

EDIT: that may be substantially less than 225, can anyone tell what it is?


blue plates are typically 20kg/44 lbs and green plates 10kg/22 lbs, so at least 80 kg/176 lbs.
sJarl
Profile Joined September 2010
Iceland1699 Posts
April 11 2015 01:18 GMT
#652
Thanks for the recommendations guys!

Today's workout:

Inc. BB BP: 20kg x 15-15-15, 30kg 12-12, 40kg x 6-6-6
Jerks: 20kg 8-8, 30kg 8, 40kg x 6, 50kg x 3-3-3, 60kg x 2
Some running.
"Witness!" - Karsa Orlong
SolaR-
Profile Blog Joined February 2004
United States2685 Posts
April 12 2015 20:14 GMT
#653
ugh. Just started lifting again after a year break. I had to take some time off after suffering a back injury AND dealing with IBS.

I am now on my second week in and I just strained my shoulder doing stupid dumbell flyes. I thought I would take it light and do a volume based bodybuidling routine to keep it simple while I get in shape again. That's the last time I ever do flyes.

Hopefully, I am good in 2-3 weeks as it doesn't seem too serious(hopefully). At least I can still do deadlifts and squats.
coolTLname
Profile Joined January 2015
United States315 Posts
April 12 2015 20:42 GMT
#654
why do u guys enjoy lifting so much? I am uneducated.
Osmoses
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Sweden5302 Posts
April 12 2015 21:01 GMT
#655
Feels good. There's a simple sense of accomplishment to being able to move something heavy, and the feeling of the burn in your muscles, the pump and the following exhaustion is just plain pleasant. And between workouts, being fit and strong is it's own reward, does alot for your confidence.
Excuse me hun, but what is your name? Vivian? I woke up next to you naked and, uh, did we, um?
sJarl
Profile Joined September 2010
Iceland1699 Posts
April 12 2015 22:24 GMT
#656
For me it is the sense of progression that keeps me going. Love to see the numbers go up.

Then there is the additional bonus of looking better, being able to move heavy stuff and just in general liking to move heavy stuff.
"Witness!" - Karsa Orlong
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7681 Posts
April 13 2015 00:16 GMT
#657
On April 13 2015 05:42 coolTLname wrote:
why do u guys enjoy lifting so much? I am uneducated.



“No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.”
The unrealistic sound of these propositions is indicative, not of their utopian character, but of the strength of the forces which prevent their realization.
MtlGuitarist97
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States1539 Posts
April 13 2015 00:51 GMT
#658
On April 13 2015 09:16 IgnE wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 13 2015 05:42 coolTLname wrote:
why do u guys enjoy lifting so much? I am uneducated.



“No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.”

I had that quote as a background for a while. Great quote. There's also a Robert Heinlein quote about how people shouldn't be specialists, that's for insects. We're designed to be able to do a huge amount of things.
Najda
Profile Joined June 2010
United States3765 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-04-13 02:34:30
April 13 2015 02:33 GMT
#659
On April 13 2015 07:24 sJarl wrote:
For me it is the sense of progression that keeps me going. Love to see the numbers go up.

Then there is the additional bonus of looking better, being able to move heavy stuff and just in general liking to move heavy stuff.


Absolutely the progression. Having a goal, working towards it and having concrete measurements of proof gives meaning to my life and every day I lift is like validation of who I am. It's something that money can't buy and genetics doesn't play a huge role in (at a casual level) so it's almost entirely just hard work with a tangible payout.

Also catching a heavy snatch well is probably one of the best feeling in the world.
zatic
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Zurich15366 Posts
April 13 2015 05:30 GMT
#660
On April 13 2015 05:42 coolTLname wrote:
why do u guys enjoy lifting so much? I am uneducated.

I'll add vastly improved overall quality of life.

This week was great, I finished my birthday squat challenge at 32 x 73.5kg @ 73kg BW. Also did a post-surgery 3x5 squat PR at 106kg.

Now I only need to get my shoulder fixed so I can bench again. Another visit to the doc Wednesday, hopefully good news then.
ModeratorI know Teamliquid is known as a massive building
Prev 1 31 32 33 34 35 234 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 10h 13m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 664
Artosis 543
White-Ra 128
910 42
Dota 2
monkeys_forever514
NeuroSwarm178
Counter-Strike
m0e_tv125
Super Smash Bros
AZ_Axe121
PPMD79
Heroes of the Storm
Trikslyr99
Other Games
summit1g8055
shahzam615
JimRising 438
C9.Mang0328
ArmadaUGS76
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick654
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream327
Other Games
BasetradeTV197
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 126
• Letter142
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki18
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
10h 13m
Afreeca Starleague
10h 13m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d
Kung Fu Cup
1d 11h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.