• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:48
CEST 01:48
KST 08:48
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7250 users

TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 - Page 107

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 105 106 107 108 109 234 Next
Osmoses
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Sweden5302 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-05-13 07:22:28
May 13 2016 07:21 GMT
#2121
Just feels like the journalist didnt understand the material she was writing about. I mean calories in is what your body absorbs, not every gram of what you shove in your face, so whats new? Of course the body is a very complex system, but it can't somehow subvert physics.
Excuse me hun, but what is your name? Vivian? I woke up next to you naked and, uh, did we, um?
Garbels
Profile Joined July 2010
Austria653 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-05-13 10:27:58
May 13 2016 08:54 GMT
#2122
While on the topic of eating and weight would you guys advise against long(6+month) bulking phases?
edit:
To expand on that rather general question. I know nothing about bulking I'm just eating alot more since around February because I definitely could use the weight (68kg/184). I can still use some weight at 74kg I'm just wondering if I should slow down or take a break or something.
FFGenerations
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
7088 Posts
May 13 2016 10:06 GMT
#2123
i would advise to be aware that if you are eating too much compared to your training then you can and will get fat and stay fat for a long time (hi)
Cool BW Music Vid - youtube.com/watch?v=W54nlqJ-Nx8 ~~~~~ ᕤ OYSTERS ᕤ CLAMS ᕤ AND ᕤ CUCKOLDS ᕤ ~~~~~~ ༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ PUNCH HIM ༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ
zatic
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Zurich15366 Posts
May 13 2016 11:44 GMT
#2124
I find this article (also from Vox) on weight loss very reasonable: http://www.vox.com/2016/5/10/11649210/biggest-loser-weight-loss
ModeratorI know Teamliquid is known as a massive building
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
May 13 2016 12:58 GMT
#2125
On May 13 2016 13:47 IgnE wrote:
can you show me a picture of how you tape them

30 reps is some silly crossfit workout


I use J&J athletic tape. I tear it in half so it's not as wide and start from the top then wrap around downwards. Took a while for me to get the hang of making it tight enough to not fall off but loose enough where I could still bend my thumb.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7681 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-05-13 19:27:06
May 13 2016 15:14 GMT
#2126
On May 13 2016 16:21 Osmoses wrote:
Just feels like the journalist didnt understand the material she was writing about. I mean calories in is what your body absorbs, not every gram of what you shove in your face, so whats new? Of course the body is a very complex system, but it can't somehow subvert physics.


I'm not sure what you are saying, what your particular issue with the writing is.


On May 13 2016 17:54 Garbels wrote:
While on the topic of eating and weight would you guys advise against long(6+month) bulking phases?
edit:
To expand on that rather general question. I know nothing about bulking I'm just eating alot more since around February because I definitely could use the weight (68kg/184). I can still use some weight at 74kg I'm just wondering if I should slow down or take a break or something.


It's actually easy to lose weight if you are strong and have a lot of muscle. If you are 220 at 15-18% bodyfat you can just cut out sugar and drop weight really easily by continuing to go to the gym.

I recommend bulking for as long as you need to to get the muscle you want. Just bulk sensibly. You don't want to be adding unnecessary fat, and muscle takes time to build. I added about 5-10 lbs in a whole year for like 6 years to get to 245 before cutting down to walk around with a six pack. But I can walk around at ~215 with hardly any effort now, and my previous fear of catabolism if I'm not constantly eating protein and working out has been proven to be paranoia. Although that might be because I've been pretty muscular for a decade+ now.

But to add muscle you really do need to be eating a caloric surplus. I recommend ice cream after the post-gym feast if you are having trouble eating enough. I would go through periods where I was just completely sick of eating at all. It becomes a chore.
The unrealistic sound of these propositions is indicative, not of their utopian character, but of the strength of the forces which prevent their realization.
Osmoses
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Sweden5302 Posts
May 13 2016 18:44 GMT
#2127
My issue is that nothing she is saying appears to be news, but written in an incredulous tone, as if uncovering some mystery. For years I've had the impression that "70% of progress comes from the kitchen" and "if despite calorie cuts you dont lose weight then cut some more calories because body complex and metabolism and blah blah" were very well established adages. You exercised for health and muscle, not weight loss. Or have I just been around people ahead of the game?
Excuse me hun, but what is your name? Vivian? I woke up next to you naked and, uh, did we, um?
FFGenerations
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
7088 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-05-13 19:08:18
May 13 2016 19:03 GMT
#2128
you are definitely around people ahead of the game , what % of people even gym let alone do it successfully? in my experience at least, i know like 2 people who even gym and 5x as many who smoke

lets see say i know 40 people, 8 of them smoke, 2 of them gym, 2 of them play musical instruments for hobby, people aren't that effective lol
Cool BW Music Vid - youtube.com/watch?v=W54nlqJ-Nx8 ~~~~~ ᕤ OYSTERS ᕤ CLAMS ᕤ AND ᕤ CUCKOLDS ᕤ ~~~~~~ ༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ PUNCH HIM ༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
May 13 2016 20:35 GMT
#2129
On May 14 2016 00:14 IgnE wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 13 2016 16:21 Osmoses wrote:
Just feels like the journalist didnt understand the material she was writing about. I mean calories in is what your body absorbs, not every gram of what you shove in your face, so whats new? Of course the body is a very complex system, but it can't somehow subvert physics.


I'm not sure what you are saying, what your particular issue with the writing is.


Show nested quote +
On May 13 2016 17:54 Garbels wrote:
While on the topic of eating and weight would you guys advise against long(6+month) bulking phases?
edit:
To expand on that rather general question. I know nothing about bulking I'm just eating alot more since around February because I definitely could use the weight (68kg/184). I can still use some weight at 74kg I'm just wondering if I should slow down or take a break or something.


It's actually easy to lose weight if you are strong and have a lot of muscle. If you are 220 at 15-18% bodyfat you can just cut out sugar and drop weight really easily by continuing to go to the gym.


Can confirm, dropped like 6 pounds in 6 weeks just controlling my carbs better.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7681 Posts
May 15 2016 00:32 GMT
#2130
http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2016/05/study-suggests-superiority-of-dieting.html

Preliminary evidence in favor of refeeds! There's no question that the evidence from the study at hand must be considered - at best - preliminary. Nevertheless, the significantly higher efficacy of dieting with refeeds clearly indicates that this "trick" could make dieting "easier" by reducing the deficit without compromising the fat loss.

And even more: Although this is speculative, one could argue that the difference in body fat regain (the scientists accessed only the significance of the differences in absolute values, by the way), may have reached statistical significance if (a) the refeeding phase had been longer or (b) the deficit and subsequent metabolic adaptation had bee more pronounced... but you know what, right? Let's wait and see what a follow up human study will be able to tell us about the benefits of refeeds on weight... no, wait! Not on WEIGHT, but rather on FAT loss, obviously


Weight loss is not calories in vs. calories out.
The unrealistic sound of these propositions is indicative, not of their utopian character, but of the strength of the forces which prevent their realization.
Eclipsing Binary
Profile Joined September 2012
61 Posts
May 15 2016 01:26 GMT
#2131
On May 14 2016 00:14 IgnE wrote:
It's actually easy to lose weight if you are strong and have a lot of muscle. If you are 220 at 15-18% bodyfat you can just cut out sugar and drop weight really easily by continuing to go to the gym.

I recommend bulking for as long as you need to to get the muscle you want. Just bulk sensibly. You don't want to be adding unnecessary fat, and muscle takes time to build.


Could you elaborate on "bulking sensibly"? About how many calories above maintenance should you eat per day? It seems that there are two sides on this. One is the Mark Rippetoe Starting Strength philosophy (he recommends up to 6000 kcal/day for skinny novices for the first few months and then 4000/day after that). Eat a lot, don't care about body fat percentage for the first couple of years because it'll be easy to get lean later.

And then there are the "leangainers" who say just 200 or 300 above maintenance per day is enough, that naturals can only build about 0.6 lbs of muscle a week, so any more is just adding fat for no reason. And that you never want to go above about 15% body fat because fat tissue decreases your testosterone levels and makes it harder to gain muscle.

Is there a certain body fat percentage (or any other metric) at which you would recommend cutting?
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7681 Posts
May 15 2016 04:05 GMT
#2132
I don't think you should be eating 6kcal if you can't burn them. I would recommend adding 500kcal to your regular diet, keeping training intensity up. When you start feeling hungry again (say in 10 days) add more. I think you should ramp up your metabolism by eating more calories rather than just suddenly chugging 6kcal in whole milk.
The unrealistic sound of these propositions is indicative, not of their utopian character, but of the strength of the forces which prevent their realization.
FFGenerations
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
7088 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-05-15 04:59:22
May 15 2016 04:58 GMT
#2133
my rule would be:

1) aim for 120g protein/day
2) eat more carbs as and when you feel hungry (porridge, or rice if you're eshlow, or ice cream lul)
3) don't gorge yourself by habit - stop eating when you're full
4) always go to sleep the moment you feel tired
5) never stop drinking from a water bottle by your side
Cool BW Music Vid - youtube.com/watch?v=W54nlqJ-Nx8 ~~~~~ ᕤ OYSTERS ᕤ CLAMS ᕤ AND ᕤ CUCKOLDS ᕤ ~~~~~~ ༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ PUNCH HIM ༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ
Osmoses
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Sweden5302 Posts
May 15 2016 06:29 GMT
#2134
On May 15 2016 09:32 IgnE wrote:
http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2016/05/study-suggests-superiority-of-dieting.html

Show nested quote +
Preliminary evidence in favor of refeeds! There's no question that the evidence from the study at hand must be considered - at best - preliminary. Nevertheless, the significantly higher efficacy of dieting with refeeds clearly indicates that this "trick" could make dieting "easier" by reducing the deficit without compromising the fat loss.

And even more: Although this is speculative, one could argue that the difference in body fat regain (the scientists accessed only the significance of the differences in absolute values, by the way), may have reached statistical significance if (a) the refeeding phase had been longer or (b) the deficit and subsequent metabolic adaptation had bee more pronounced... but you know what, right? Let's wait and see what a follow up human study will be able to tell us about the benefits of refeeds on weight... no, wait! Not on WEIGHT, but rather on FAT loss, obviously


Weight loss is not calories in vs. calories out.

You're missing the point. Calories in isn't what you eat, it's what your body absorbs. Refeeds, fasting, macros, metabolism, they're all just tweaking that variable.

So yes, weight loss is cals in vs out.
Excuse me hun, but what is your name? Vivian? I woke up next to you naked and, uh, did we, um?
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7681 Posts
May 15 2016 12:27 GMT
#2135
On May 15 2016 15:29 Osmoses wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 15 2016 09:32 IgnE wrote:
http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2016/05/study-suggests-superiority-of-dieting.html

Preliminary evidence in favor of refeeds! There's no question that the evidence from the study at hand must be considered - at best - preliminary. Nevertheless, the significantly higher efficacy of dieting with refeeds clearly indicates that this "trick" could make dieting "easier" by reducing the deficit without compromising the fat loss.

And even more: Although this is speculative, one could argue that the difference in body fat regain (the scientists accessed only the significance of the differences in absolute values, by the way), may have reached statistical significance if (a) the refeeding phase had been longer or (b) the deficit and subsequent metabolic adaptation had bee more pronounced... but you know what, right? Let's wait and see what a follow up human study will be able to tell us about the benefits of refeeds on weight... no, wait! Not on WEIGHT, but rather on FAT loss, obviously


Weight loss is not calories in vs. calories out.

You're missing the point. Calories in isn't what you eat, it's what your body absorbs. Refeeds, fasting, macros, metabolism, they're all just tweaking that variable.

So yes, weight loss is cals in vs out.


Ok I don't deal in tautologies because they are boring. "Calories in vs calories out" is not a helpful way to think about weight loss because it's impossible to know the quantity on either side of the equation at any given time. It's made worse by the seeming facticity of calorie labels on food lending an air of mathematical precision to inexact science.

The unrealistic sound of these propositions is indicative, not of their utopian character, but of the strength of the forces which prevent their realization.
Osmoses
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Sweden5302 Posts
May 15 2016 14:55 GMT
#2136
I think it's a way more helpful way to think about it for someone who is just looking to lose weight. Eat less and take a walk, simple. What's the use of telling an overweight person the intricacies of the digestive system or the hormonal changes they go through during exercise?

Counting calories isn't an exact science, but it's not hard to add or subtract them if you're not getting the expected results. And saying calories in vs calories out isn't true is the first-edition goto excuse for fat people and it just drives me up the wall.
Excuse me hun, but what is your name? Vivian? I woke up next to you naked and, uh, did we, um?
Jerubaal
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States7684 Posts
May 15 2016 16:55 GMT
#2137
That's not very helpful either, though, Millions of people do that with little effect because they are eating the wrong foods and doing the wrong exercises. If I cut out the meat while keeping my whole wheat bread and go for a job, I'm likely to stay just as fat and unhealthy as I am.

It's been danced around a few times, but not quite said explicitly, but glycemic impact and insulin resistance is one of the if not the most important factor in weight gain.
I'm not stupid, a marauder just shot my brain.
Osmoses
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Sweden5302 Posts
May 15 2016 17:33 GMT
#2138
If you eat below maintenance amounts of calories in whole wheat bread you will lose weight, but it wont last because you will be constantly hungry, weak and you'll probably feel like shit. And if a diet does that to you it probably isn't a keeper anyway lol, but you can literally eat whatever the fuck and still lose weight if you keep the calories the same, it's not a mystery. People fail at weight loss because they don't want it bad enough. If they did they'd make it a lifestyle, not a diet.
Excuse me hun, but what is your name? Vivian? I woke up next to you naked and, uh, did we, um?
Jerubaal
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States7684 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-05-16 02:13:11
May 15 2016 18:14 GMT
#2139
As we've all been saying, there's an awful lot going on and an awful lot we don't know about the whos whys and wherefores of energy absorption. For one, the timing of the nutrition is going to have an effect. If you ate all of that bread in one sitting, what would happen? Would your body store it all as fat? I suspect it would simply discard a good deal of it or immediately burn it. If you ate it steadily over the day, your insulin would be skyhigh all day (not unlike a lot of unhealthy diets). In that case, I would not consider it unfeasible that you would both gain fat and be malnourished. It happens all the time in malnourished areas. Furthermore, it would be really hard to get fat eating just fat since you'd have low insulin levels.

I think probably most of us basically agree on a lot of things, but we are coming at it from different angles. I often don't say some things because I think everyone has already heard it, but just in case anyone hasn't jumped on the Gary Taubes/Robert Lustig train.
I'm not stupid, a marauder just shot my brain.
Osmoses
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Sweden5302 Posts
May 16 2016 13:04 GMT
#2140
I agree that we don't know alot of the hows and why's. My argument is that it doesn't matter for someone just trying to lose weight. Eating all that bread in one sitting is no way to live, so you won't do it. It's silly to even suggest it.

It might sound harsh, but there's no great mystery to plain old weight loss. It's just a moderate amount of discipline coupled with not being a retard. And there's no industry conspiracy to the people's obesity, people are fat because bad food just so happens to be both cheap and taste really, really good.

There's nothing I love more than a cold beer, and if I can have a pizza eat while I'm drinking it, hey, I'm a happy guy, but you'd have to be clinically retarded to be surprised that that kind of diet made you fat.
Excuse me hun, but what is your name? Vivian? I woke up next to you naked and, uh, did we, um?
Prev 1 105 106 107 108 109 234 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 10h 12m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 664
Artosis 543
White-Ra 128
910 42
Dota 2
monkeys_forever514
NeuroSwarm178
Counter-Strike
m0e_tv125
Super Smash Bros
AZ_Axe121
PPMD79
Heroes of the Storm
Trikslyr99
Other Games
summit1g8055
shahzam615
JimRising 438
C9.Mang0328
ArmadaUGS76
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick654
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream327
Other Games
BasetradeTV197
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 126
• Letter142
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki18
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
10h 12m
Afreeca Starleague
10h 12m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d
Kung Fu Cup
1d 11h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.