• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:09
CEST 21:09
KST 04:09
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8752 users

Teamliquid Health and Fitness Initiative for 2014 - Page 92

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 90 91 92 93 94 173 Next
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
June 20 2014 02:25 GMT
#1821
On June 20 2014 10:36 SoleSteeler wrote:
Yeah, I did some stretching today at the gym. Those couch stretches... Fuck they hurt but they did get a bit easier in the end. Have to keep it up. I did a lot of air squats and using a bench got myself into an ass to grass position. The stretch feels nice. Also did some minor hamstring work. It's a coincidence that after I posted my videos, the next morning it felt like I did something to my lower back. I will probably need a few days off of weighted exercise for my lower back.

Hard to find stuff in Korea... can't buy foam rollers easily it seems. I found a lacrosse ball for $50, lol. I can ship it from the west for cheaper than that. I've heard of foam rollers for ~$20+ in stores that aren't close to me... Looking online now.

edit: are foam rollers also around $20 back home too? That's the cheapest one at amazon it seems...


Yeah, that sounds about right. Goes from there right up to 60 or even 100 for the fanciest options.
zatic
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Zurich15366 Posts
June 20 2014 04:28 GMT
#1822
My PVC pipe was $0.80. Go make your own roller.
ModeratorI know Teamliquid is known as a massive building
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
June 20 2014 11:55 GMT
#1823
I got my roller for $20. Felt like using this morning to rehab, did a bunch of lower body stretches. Did some handstands, can tell I've been ohp'ing more. Tried a tuck back lever too. Biceps felt wrecked after that lol.
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
zatic
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Zurich15366 Posts
June 20 2014 12:19 GMT
#1824
Did water skiing for the first time. For two hours. I am so sore I have no idea how I am supposed to get a workout in today still hahaha.
ModeratorI know Teamliquid is known as a massive building
funkie
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Venezuela9377 Posts
June 20 2014 14:38 GMT
#1825
On June 20 2014 13:28 zatic wrote:
My PVC pipe was $0.80. Go make your own roller.


Uh, just got together with a couple of guys from the gym and we're buying a huge ass pvc pipe then splitting that one into several pieces, everyone gets their cut.

yesterday was my first workout with the new oly shoes (adipowers - red ones) and a single I got too.

Shit was inmensely awesome. Actually hit a 181.3kg squat. just a few pounds shy of my all time PR of 182kg.

Gogo me! :D
CJ Entusman #6! · Strength is the basis of athletic ability. -Rippetoe /* http://j.mp/TL-App <- TL iPhone App 2.0! */
Najda
Profile Joined June 2010
United States3765 Posts
June 20 2014 15:16 GMT
#1826
On June 20 2014 23:38 funkie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 20 2014 13:28 zatic wrote:
My PVC pipe was $0.80. Go make your own roller.


Uh, just got together with a couple of guys from the gym and we're buying a huge ass pvc pipe then splitting that one into several pieces, everyone gets their cut.

yesterday was my first workout with the new oly shoes (adipowers - red ones) and a single I got too.

Shit was inmensely awesome. Actually hit a 181.3kg squat. just a few pounds shy of my all time PR of 182kg.

Gogo me! :D


Does your gym have .35kg plates?
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
June 20 2014 15:22 GMT
#1827
On June 21 2014 00:16 Najda wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 20 2014 23:38 funkie wrote:
On June 20 2014 13:28 zatic wrote:
My PVC pipe was $0.80. Go make your own roller.


Uh, just got together with a couple of guys from the gym and we're buying a huge ass pvc pipe then splitting that one into several pieces, everyone gets their cut.

yesterday was my first workout with the new oly shoes (adipowers - red ones) and a single I got too.

Shit was inmensely awesome. Actually hit a 181.3kg squat. just a few pounds shy of my all time PR of 182kg.

Gogo me! :D


Does your gym have .35kg plates?

I think he squatted 400lb
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
funkie
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Venezuela9377 Posts
June 20 2014 15:43 GMT
#1828
On June 21 2014 00:22 mordek wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 21 2014 00:16 Najda wrote:
On June 20 2014 23:38 funkie wrote:
On June 20 2014 13:28 zatic wrote:
My PVC pipe was $0.80. Go make your own roller.


Uh, just got together with a couple of guys from the gym and we're buying a huge ass pvc pipe then splitting that one into several pieces, everyone gets their cut.

yesterday was my first workout with the new oly shoes (adipowers - red ones) and a single I got too.

Shit was inmensely awesome. Actually hit a 181.3kg squat. just a few pounds shy of my all time PR of 182kg.

Gogo me! :D


Does your gym have .35kg plates?

I think he squatted 400lb


haha yea. I always do the converstion to kgs doing lbs/2.2 and get w/e appears there.

:p.
CJ Entusman #6! · Strength is the basis of athletic ability. -Rippetoe /* http://j.mp/TL-App <- TL iPhone App 2.0! */
Chocolate
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States2350 Posts
June 20 2014 17:01 GMT
#1829
Going to join a gym today and start SL 5x5.
Thinking of adding some calf raises and some curls, is that ok?
zatic
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Zurich15366 Posts
June 20 2014 17:07 GMT
#1830
Sure you can add whatever you want on top. I think most people do some accessory work on top of SS/SL after a while.

If you are just starting out you might find that the main lifts will exhaust you enough though
ModeratorI know Teamliquid is known as a massive building
Topin
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Peru10128 Posts
June 20 2014 17:10 GMT
#1831
On June 21 2014 02:01 Chocolate wrote:
Going to join a gym today and start SL 5x5.
Thinking of adding some calf raises and some curls, is that ok?

you could look ICF 5x5 (Ice Cream Fitness)
i would define my style between a mix of ByuN, Maru and MKP
Chocolate
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States2350 Posts
June 20 2014 17:29 GMT
#1832
On June 21 2014 02:07 zatic wrote:
Sure you can add whatever you want on top. I think most people do some accessory work on top of SS/SL after a while.

If you are just starting out you might find that the main lifts will exhaust you enough though

I thought for SL you start with an empty bar (or very small weights for DL). Doesn't sound too exhausting to me
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
June 20 2014 17:38 GMT
#1833
That's true. Zatic was thinking SS where you gradually go to 5 rep "max" and that's your starting point for future workouts.

You may find once your big lifts get to near max effort you get exhausted though. The important thing is to push yourself always, but listen to your body too. You get strong by recovering from lifting, not by just lifting
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-06-20 23:48:35
June 20 2014 23:45 GMT
#1834
Welp, took a week for me to go full crossfitter.

Did kipping pullups today - which are harder than they look. Lost my shirt in the middle of the conditioning work too.

Deadlift 135x10 185x10 225x8 255x8 275x5 295x5 315x3 325xF 315x3
Pulled 315x4 for a top set last friday. Felt much weaker overall today and still probably could have pulled 5 or 6 if I hadn't been planning to go for 325. 325 felt bolted to the floor. More or less happy with this.

Conditioning was such an embarrassment I don't even want to post it.
For time (25 minute cut off)
100 BW squats
30 pullups
15 Deadlifts
75 BW squats - shirt removed at rep 50-
20 pullups
10 deadlifts
50 BW squats
10 pullups
5 deadlifts

Started with 255 for the 15 deadlifts. Got 10, had to drop to 225 to finish that set. Did 2 at 225 for the second round, out of 5 attempts. Dropped to 185 and finished the set of 10 at 25:12. Timed out before the final round. I failed some BW squats towards the end of the round of 75 - I didn't know that was even possible.

I'm definitely improving rapidly as far as conditioning goes, and it's at least as much of a mental improvement as it is a physical one.... but it still sucks to be the slowest one in the group even though I'm brand new to crossfit.

I counted up my calories for the last two weeks. I don't think there's a single day where I've eaten over 1500, but I don't actually feel significantly weaker than when I was eating 3000 and doing BB-style training. This is the way I used to eat, before I started lifting over 5 years ago, back when I weighed 135 lbs. I don't think there's any danger of me going all the way back there, but once I get a little more settled in where I'm living and the classes I'm taking, I need to think about putting on another 10 lbs.
Ayaz2810
Profile Joined September 2011
United States2763 Posts
June 21 2014 01:26 GMT
#1835
I have 2 random questions:

1. Is it normal to gain some weight before you start losing when you begin working out at a gym 5 days a week?
2. Are weights just as important for cardio when it comes to weight loss? Or should I be hitting the treadmill the hardest to burn this shit off?
Vrtra Vanquisher/Tiamat Trouncer/World Serpent Slayer
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
June 21 2014 01:36 GMT
#1836
On June 21 2014 10:26 Ayaz2810 wrote:
I have 2 random questions:

1. Is it normal to gain some weight before you start losing when you begin working out at a gym 5 days a week?
2. Are weights just as important for cardio when it comes to weight loss? Or should I be hitting the treadmill the hardest to burn this shit off?


You might have some increase in glycogen and salt, which causes you to hold on to more water. More than a 3-ish pound change though, and an increase for more than a week or two is probably you eating more than you used to, because increased activity will increase your appetite.

Diet is most important for weight loss. Get your diet in check or it won't matter what you're doing in the gym. But the general contribution of exercise is this:

Weightlifting adds a stress to your body that it has to respond to. You pick up heavy things, your body thinks "I need more muscle for picking up heavy things" so it preferentially starts using energy to build muscle, rather than storing it as fat.

High intensity cardio causes an increased metabolic rate via oxygen debt, and some hormone releases that allow you to preferentially burn fat for your recovery energy, rather than muscle. Again, the body thinks "I need these muscles to move faster" so it keeps them as best it can, and gets rid of the "baggage".

Low intensity cardio does not get that hormone release, but it does increase metabolic demand, so you'll just lose everything all over. You're adding a stress to your body, by demanding energy but you're not adding a significant enough stress that it needs to respond with more muscle and less fat.

TL;DR get your diet in check because it's 80% of the equation for losing weight, and exercise is only the remaining 20. But both weights and cardio matter and you should be hitting them HARD.
Ayaz2810
Profile Joined September 2011
United States2763 Posts
June 21 2014 01:53 GMT
#1837
On June 21 2014 10:36 phyre112 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 21 2014 10:26 Ayaz2810 wrote:
I have 2 random questions:

1. Is it normal to gain some weight before you start losing when you begin working out at a gym 5 days a week?
2. Are weights just as important for cardio when it comes to weight loss? Or should I be hitting the treadmill the hardest to burn this shit off?


You might have some increase in glycogen and salt, which causes you to hold on to more water. More than a 3-ish pound change though, and an increase for more than a week or two is probably you eating more than you used to, because increased activity will increase your appetite.

Diet is most important for weight loss. Get your diet in check or it won't matter what you're doing in the gym. But the general contribution of exercise is this:

Weightlifting adds a stress to your body that it has to respond to. You pick up heavy things, your body thinks "I need more muscle for picking up heavy things" so it preferentially starts using energy to build muscle, rather than storing it as fat.

High intensity cardio causes an increased metabolic rate via oxygen debt, and some hormone releases that allow you to preferentially burn fat for your recovery energy, rather than muscle. Again, the body thinks "I need these muscles to move faster" so it keeps them as best it can, and gets rid of the "baggage".

Low intensity cardio does not get that hormone release, but it does increase metabolic demand, so you'll just lose everything all over. You're adding a stress to your body, by demanding energy but you're not adding a significant enough stress that it needs to respond with more muscle and less fat.

TL;DR get your diet in check because it's 80% of the equation for losing weight, and exercise is only the remaining 20. But both weights and cardio matter and you should be hitting them HARD.



Fucking awesome answer. I don't really eat poorly. Lots of fruits and veggies and such. My problem is like 10 years of very excessive drinking and a sedentary lifestyle. Thanks!
Vrtra Vanquisher/Tiamat Trouncer/World Serpent Slayer
MtlGuitarist97
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States1539 Posts
June 21 2014 01:56 GMT
#1838
Awesome day today. Played basketball and soccer for like 4 hours today, and hung out with friends that I haven't seen for a while. Tomorrow morning looking to do some more mobility work (did about 25 minutes of stretching today) and then get right into lifting in the morning.
SoleSteeler
Profile Joined April 2003
Canada5472 Posts
June 21 2014 02:55 GMT
#1839
Doing stretches all morning... I'm amazed at how inflexible my hips are! Gotta keep working at it...
MtlGuitarist97
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States1539 Posts
June 21 2014 18:03 GMT
#1840
Wow, now I see why Jonnie Candito's program uses pause deadlifts. Since I just started lifting again and my deadlift is miles ahead of my squat/bench/OHP, I decided to some pause deadlifts. The activation in my hamstrings is so much better, and I feel like it helps me focus more on form and on pulling off the floor.

Squat - 3x5 @95 lbs
Bench - 3x5 @ 95 lbs
pause deadlift - 1x5 @185 lbs

I did a lot of mobilization work again this morning. I focused on bodyweight good mornings, hip stretches (especially the one in the limber 11, the one where you basically sit like a frog), and I did some foam rolling. Anyone know how long it takes to make a noticeable change in your mobility? I'm hoping that it will start to help after one week, but I don't want to have too high of expectations.
Prev 1 90 91 92 93 94 173 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 51m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 457
ProTech152
UpATreeSC 118
BRAT_OK 98
Railgan 49
MindelVK 24
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 1864
Shuttle 510
Dewaltoss 139
Trap 35
Bale 23
scan(afreeca) 15
Dota 2
XaKoH 627
420jenkins364
Counter-Strike
fl0m4126
Fnx 685
kRYSTAL_29
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3786
Liquid`Hasu526
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi1755
summit1g1648
FrodaN962
B2W.Neo432
C9.Mang0134
TKL 99
ToD88
QueenE77
RotterdaM58
Mew2King34
JuggernautJason14
PPMD2
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV234
BasetradeTV150
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream28
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Reevou 8
• Adnapsc2 7
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 33
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• TFBlade782
Other Games
• Shiphtur1324
• imaqtpie753
• WagamamaTV333
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
4h 51m
Patches Events
20h 51m
The PondCast
1d 14h
INu's Battles
1d 15h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.