• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:31
CEST 11:31
KST 18:31
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9147 users

Teamliquid Health and Fitness Initiative for 2014 - Page 94

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 92 93 94 95 96 173 Next
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-06-25 14:19:33
June 25 2014 14:09 GMT
#1861
@phyre - is a 200m run with a 45 lb plate overhead as stupid as it sounds to me?

Between deadlifting and muscle snatching (90kg PR!) monday and benching yesterday I'm sore in about a million places I haven't felt in ages.

On June 25 2014 14:36 IgnE wrote:
You're constant crossfit posting, phyre, led me to this video when I searched what "toes to bar/knees to elbows" meant:



Girl hoping to pull 400 this year.


I will never understand these crossfit "athletes" I'm sorry but if you're that strong and you regularly train crossfit and haven't figured out how to do a muscle up you're just lacking basic body awareness and coordination that I would say is a requirement to define yourself as athletic.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
Osmoses
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Sweden5302 Posts
June 25 2014 14:36 GMT
#1862
Spent yesterday at an amusement park. All those rollercoasters, loops and dips and spinning and christ I still feel like shit. My body didn't ask for this.
Excuse me hun, but what is your name? Vivian? I woke up next to you naked and, uh, did we, um?
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
June 25 2014 14:51 GMT
#1863
On June 25 2014 23:09 decafchicken wrote:
@phyre - is a 200m run with a 45 lb plate overhead as stupid as it sounds to me?

Between deadlifting and muscle snatching (90kg PR!) monday and benching yesterday I'm sore in about a million places I haven't felt in ages.

Show nested quote +
On June 25 2014 14:36 IgnE wrote:
You're constant crossfit posting, phyre, led me to this video when I searched what "toes to bar/knees to elbows" meant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6pLjSciaA8#t=2m

Girl hoping to pull 400 this year.


I will never understand these crossfit "athletes" I'm sorry but if you're that strong and you regularly train crossfit and haven't figured out how to do a muscle up you're just lacking basic body awareness and coordination that I would say is a requirement to define yourself as athletic.

It's not as stupid as it sounded when I first read it. Ended up being more of a speedwalk/shuffle for most, light jog for a handful. The distance was short enough that you didn't really notice it so long as you had it locked out and your head through like you're "supposed to" when pressing.

As for the muscle up... Using one lift that's primarily lower body to define strength on another that's much less lower body is silly. Hell I'm "hoping to pull 400" in the next couple months, and I would never expect a muscleup. I've never attempted one, of course I don't have the skills necessary. I will admit that I think single reps of them get too much respect... But the workouts that call for 10 or 15 in a row?
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
June 25 2014 14:55 GMT
#1864
Muscle ups aren't THAT difficult though, and it really isn't silly to look at some strength standards and relate them to others in pursuit of defining a well rounded athlete.
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
June 25 2014 14:57 GMT
#1865
Exactly you've never tried one and are just starting crossfit. This is girl who's deadlift i imagine is well over double body weight, which is going to build some respectable upper back muscle, not to mention strength around her leg/core to help with kipping. She can also do plenty of pull ups and dips. I imagine she does plenty of upper body work and attempts or works on her muscle ups fairly regularly being a hardcore cross fitter. To me it seems that if she has a reasonable amount of coordination she'd be able to put the pieces together.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
tofucake
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Hyrule19259 Posts
June 25 2014 15:10 GMT
#1866
On June 25 2014 23:51 phyre112 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 25 2014 23:09 decafchicken wrote:
@phyre - is a 200m run with a 45 lb plate overhead as stupid as it sounds to me?

Between deadlifting and muscle snatching (90kg PR!) monday and benching yesterday I'm sore in about a million places I haven't felt in ages.

On June 25 2014 14:36 IgnE wrote:
You're constant crossfit posting, phyre, led me to this video when I searched what "toes to bar/knees to elbows" meant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6pLjSciaA8#t=2m

Girl hoping to pull 400 this year.


I will never understand these crossfit "athletes" I'm sorry but if you're that strong and you regularly train crossfit and haven't figured out how to do a muscle up you're just lacking basic body awareness and coordination that I would say is a requirement to define yourself as athletic.

It's not as stupid as it sounded when I first read it. Ended up being more of a speedwalk/shuffle for most, light jog for a handful. The distance was short enough that you didn't really notice it so long as you had it locked out and your head through like you're "supposed to" when pressing.

As for the muscle up... Using one lift that's primarily lower body to define strength on another that's much less lower body is silly. Hell I'm "hoping to pull 400" in the next couple months, and I would never expect a muscleup. I've never attempted one, of course I don't have the skills necessary. I will admit that I think single reps of them get too much respect... But the workouts that call for 10 or 15 in a row?

It's not that single reps get too much respect, it's that the first one is a pretty big accomplishment.
Liquipediaasante sana squash banana
funkie
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Venezuela9377 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-06-25 16:43:11
June 25 2014 16:41 GMT
#1867
That's singlehandedly the most frecuent question for me in the crossfit box I go to.

"Why don't you compete with us? Why don't you ever try pullUps? Why do you do them strict style instead of "kipping" style like we do?"

1.- I'm not in this for the competition, I just wanna move and throw big weights around.
2.- I do them when my program tells me to go, I usually warm up with those too.
3.- Cause I rather do them classic style and develop some more strength, than look like a freaking monkey doing them while kicking my legs and all of that.

Good argument? maybe not. Enough for me? Definitely.

Edit: To be fair, in the whole population of the Box I go to, maybe 2-3 people can Outsquat me, and out clean&jerk me (that are around my BW), they also happen to have really, really unsafe technique.

For example, they ALL hate the hookgrip, and I quote "It's unnecessary and painful", after that statement, said person performed a "clean and Jerk", the bar ended on his head. (thank god it wasnt loaded with weight).
CJ Entusman #6! · Strength is the basis of athletic ability. -Rippetoe /* http://j.mp/TL-App <- TL iPhone App 2.0! */
tofucake
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Hyrule19259 Posts
June 25 2014 16:47 GMT
#1868
Kipping is more core than legs, btw
Liquipediaasante sana squash banana
ShadeR
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Australia7535 Posts
June 25 2014 16:55 GMT
#1869
Naw you wouldn't look like a monkey kipping, more like a fish out of water.
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-06-25 17:04:10
June 25 2014 17:01 GMT
#1870
The dismissal of hookgrip by most of the crossfitters I meet blows me away. A lot of them don't know what it is, the rest of them are some combination of "it hurts too much" and "i don't need to use that". To be fair even the guy who only coaches the weightlifting club area doesn't make the lifters use it either. Ridiculous.

I struggle daily not to lose my shit at the gym. I had to teach the coach how to teach the jerk the other day because he was having them do jerks over a barbell.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
tofucake
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Hyrule19259 Posts
June 25 2014 17:08 GMT
#1871
who the hell dismisses hookgrip? it's awesome :O
Liquipediaasante sana squash banana
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
June 25 2014 18:30 GMT
#1872
On June 26 2014 02:01 decafchicken wrote:
The dismissal of hookgrip by most of the crossfitters I meet blows me away. A lot of them don't know what it is, the rest of them are some combination of "it hurts too much" and "i don't need to use that". To be fair even the guy who only coaches the weightlifting club area doesn't make the lifters use it either. Ridiculous.

I struggle daily not to lose my shit at the gym. I had to teach the coach how to teach the jerk the other day because he was having them do jerks over a barbell.

Yeah, most people are using hookgrips where I am. I would say 90% of the men, and half the women who are competitive. Especially with how taxing most WODs are on the grip/forearms (deadlifts, cleans, snatches, Toes to bar, pullups, muscle ups, kettlebells.... all grip) the idea is "take whatever advantage you can get." The only people not using it are the ones who aren't there with an intent to compete, or to be great athletes, just to get a workout in, be active, maybe lose some weight, etc.

They could definitely use some help teaching the jerk, but they're pretty good about the clean. Most of them seem to treat it more like a faster push press. Was talking to a guy who's probably the best lifter there about it yesterday and even he says he's thinking "get it up fast and high so i can get under it" - I've always approached it exactly the opposite way, I think about getting low as fast as I can. Honestly don't know much about jerk technique though... I should take a video tonight.

On June 26 2014 01:41 funkie wrote:
That's singlehandedly the most frecuent question for me in the crossfit box I go to.

"Why don't you compete with us? Why don't you ever try pullUps? Why do you do them strict style instead of "kipping" style like we do?"

1.- I'm not in this for the competition, I just wanna move and throw big weights around.
2.- I do them when my program tells me to go, I usually warm up with those too.
3.- Cause I rather do them classic style and develop some more strength, than look like a freaking monkey doing them while kicking my legs and all of that.

Good argument? maybe not. Enough for me? Definitely.

Edit: To be fair, in the whole population of the Box I go to, maybe 2-3 people can Outsquat me, and out clean&jerk me (that are around my BW), they also happen to have really, really unsafe technique.

For example, they ALL hate the hookgrip, and I quote "It's unnecessary and painful", after that statement, said person performed a "clean and Jerk", the bar ended on his head. (thank god it wasnt loaded with weight).

There are probably a half dozen men at my box squatting in the 400-450# region. Before lifting here, I'd met two individuals in five years of lifting that had more than a 300# squat. For the most part, the technique is solid. The olympic lifting could use more work, but that's probably common among every single person who doesn't compete specifically in olympic lifting.
I learned quite quickly that a crossfit kip is all hips and shoulders. There's really no leg kick if you're doing it right. You can't control your body position with a leg kick, so it's incredibly inefficient.

Also, I can get 8-10 strict pullups on a given day, and I can get maybe 9-11 kipping pullups. It makes no difference for me on the first set, but it does on the second and third. I'm doing upper back work pretty much every single day in some variation, so as long as I'm not stupid about it, I think a couple months of kipping won't kill me.

On June 26 2014 00:10 tofucake wrote:
It's not that single reps get too much respect, it's that the first one is a pretty big accomplishment.

Yeah, and it's definitely a thing that separates people who have a chance to be competitive and people who don't. It's a big deal to finally get them, but I've seen a mindset (especially online - i've been reading crossfit forums and such for two years now) that people who can do muscle ups are the pinnacle of human athleticism and people who can't are just casuals. Might just be the keyboard warrior showing up in everyone though =p. I think I'm guilty of giving them too much respect as well - I really should just go try some once I get that hollow to arched body position down a little better.
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7681 Posts
June 26 2014 00:35 GMT
#1873
Question for decaf:

Are your collarbones always bruised? I don't clean that often, and just keeping a bar with 300 or 400 lbs on it in the front rack position for front squatting always leaves me with tender collar bones and pink skin.
The unrealistic sound of these propositions is indicative, not of their utopian character, but of the strength of the forces which prevent their realization.
Redox
Profile Joined October 2010
Germany24794 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-06-26 01:07:39
June 26 2014 01:00 GMT
#1874
Ok guys I have a question about maximum heart rate, since I believe some medication I am taking is lowering mine (there are a few sources saying this might happen with this medication).

I started with cycling like 2 months ago (was out of shape before). Always like 30 minutes, about every 2nd day. I used a pulse monitor, it seems accurate after comparing with counting the heart rate. During the run I will have like 110 pulse on average, at the end mostly 120-130. I think am cycling almost as fast I can. 138 is the most I have ever seen, when I felt I gave all I could.

I am 32 years old, not overweight, so I should have a maximum pulse of 180-190 according to the formulas I found. Unfortunately I dont know what my pulse was before I started taking the medication.

So are there other people that have a pretty low maximum pulse or does every healthy person have a maximum of about 180-190?
Off-season = best season
2primenumbers
Profile Blog Joined February 2014
United States144 Posts
June 26 2014 01:06 GMT
#1875
Inspiring thread!
o face
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-06-26 01:19:54
June 26 2014 01:18 GMT
#1876
On June 26 2014 10:00 Redox wrote:
Ok guys I have a question about maximum heart rate, since I believe some medication I am taking is lowering mine (there are a few sources saying this might happen with this medication).

I started with cycling like 2 months ago (was out of shape before). Always like 30 minutes, about every 2nd day. I used a pulse monitor, it seems accurate after comparing with counting the heart rate. During the run I will have like 110 pulse on average, at the end mostly 120-130. I think am cycling almost as fast I can. 138 is the most I have ever seen, when I felt I gave all I could.

I am 32 years old, not overweight, so I should have a maximum pulse of 180-190 according to the formulas I found. Unfortunately I dont know what my pulse was before I started taking the medication.

So are there other people that have a pretty low maximum pulse or does every healthy person have a maximum of about 180-190?

Medications can lower maximum heart rate. Without knowing what medication it is, I can't say anything about the likelihood or the potential mechanism, but it's probably enough to say that it can certainly happen.

Anyway, meds aside despite all your effort and motivation and best attempt to simulate the situation, you're probably not going to get your Heart rate at the gym to quite reach the "OMFG I'm being chased by a bear" rate. Now, that said.... Formulas are good for populations, but individuals are always going to be different. If you've consistently only ever been able to achieve ~140, you might as well just consider that your max number and put your target heart rate at whatever % of that number. Just so long as you're actually giving it a full effort, the math isn't the thing doing the work here. It's not what matters. If a given rate starts to get easier over time, just adjust upwards. NBD.

On June 26 2014 09:35 IgnE wrote:
Question for decaf:

Are your collarbones always bruised? I don't clean that often, and just keeping a bar with 300 or 400 lbs on it in the front rack position for front squatting always leaves me with tender collar bones and pink skin.

At this point, I'm quite certain that Decaf's collarbones are no longer bones, and have in fact been forged into actual pieces of steel by the constant pressure applied to them.
MtlGuitarist97
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States1539 Posts
June 26 2014 02:18 GMT
#1877
On June 26 2014 10:18 phyre112 wrote:
At this point, I'm quite certain that Decaf's collarbones are no longer bones, and have in fact been forged into actual pieces of steel by the constant pressure applied to them.

Plot twist: He's actually Wolverine and his bones are made of adamantine.
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-06-26 03:13:39
June 26 2014 02:19 GMT
#1878
PC & Jerk practice
FS 130kgx3x3

3/4 of the times I clean the bar I get dizzy. I have no idea why this is, I almost passed out today. It's really tilting as the cleans feel fairly "easy".

Any ideas?

Edit: To vary a bit from lifting videos, Fedor's brother



"I hunted a bear with a stick and a knife"

Then he ate it aswell. lol russians
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
June 26 2014 04:12 GMT
#1879
On June 26 2014 11:19 GoTuNk! wrote:
PC & Jerk practice
FS 130kgx3x3

3/4 of the times I clean the bar I get dizzy. I have no idea why this is, I almost passed out today. It's really tilting as the cleans feel fairly "easy".

Any ideas?

Edit: To vary a bit from lifting videos, Fedor's brother

http://youtu.be/EhydOBnlHW0

"I hunted a bear with a stick and a knife"

Then he ate it aswell. lol russians


Used to happen to me all the time when I would stand up a clean, or when I would kick up the weight for any kind of DB bench, and occasionally on deadlifts that were heavy enough to be triples or lower. I think it was a combination of naturally low blood pressure, the high core pressure from the lift, and dehydration. Now that I take a bunch of caffeine and other stimulants before lifting, and I drink more water it doesn't happen as often. In fact I can't remember the last time it did.
n.DieJokes
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States3443 Posts
June 26 2014 05:55 GMT
#1880
Jesus, pull-ups are so much easier when you're light. I thought all these guys had the strongest fucking backs in the world, the real secret is to spend two weeks shitting your brains out and let all your useless leg muscle atrophy. I am ascending to my final pull-up form
MyLove + Your Love= Supa Love
Prev 1 92 93 94 95 96 173 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 29m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech6
StarCraft: Brood War
Zeus 401
Horang2 303
Larva 257
EffOrt 180
Mind 76
Hyun 62
scan(afreeca) 51
NotJumperer 42
Killer 40
Bale 38
[ Show more ]
ggaemo 37
Sharp 35
sorry 35
Shinee 22
Sacsri 13
Hm[arnc] 13
Pusan 13
Barracks 6
Britney 0
Dota 2
febbydoto110
League of Legends
JimRising 415
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1209
edward536
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King110
Other Games
summit1g8077
ceh9649
Happy319
crisheroes199
Sick175
dupreeh65
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick594
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream33
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• killerbeecast4
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2271
League of Legends
• Jankos1204
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
29m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1h 29m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
14h 29m
Patches Events
1d 6h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.