• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:27
CEST 08:27
KST 15:27
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9565 users

Teamliquid Health and Fitness Initiative for 2014 - Page 96

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 94 95 96 97 98 173 Next
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
June 27 2014 13:20 GMT
#1901
If there's a power or squat rack you can put the safety bars at chest level to prevent being crushed. There's also the roll of shame:
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
June 27 2014 13:33 GMT
#1902
On June 27 2014 22:05 Maluk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 27 2014 09:52 phyre112 wrote:
Workout A:
Squat 3x5
Bench Press 3x5
Bent Over Row 3x5 or Power Clean 5x3
Pullups 3xF

Make these good solid "Dead Hang" pullups.

Workout B:
Squat 3x5
Deadlift 3x5 ramping sets
Overhead Press 3x5
Chinups 3xF

Again, Dead hang on the chinups.


I would need a partner for the bench press, right ? Since I am going to the gym alone for now maybe I should replace it at least for the time being. Are dips okay as a replacement ?

No. Dips are a great assistance to make you better at the bench, but they're not a replacement. Your first several workouts there should be no danger of you failing the set. After that, you can either roll of shame, do them in a power rack with the safety bars set, or ask pretty much anyone in the gym to spot you. That's a completely normal and reasonable thing to do.
On June 27 2014 22:05 Maluk wrote:
My second concern is about the number of exercises : I am used to having 8 exercises in a session, can I jump to 4 without any problem ? Do I have to decrease my calorie intake since my workout sessions will likely be shorter ?

Your sessions will still take about an hour if you're giving yourself long enough rest periods (3 min per set) and doing enough warm ups (probably a set of 10 and two sets of 8 or so with minimal rest at lighter than workset weight). Yes it's fewer exercises, but it's also harder exercise. You may have to change your calorie intake, but I would not say that it's likely.
On June 27 2014 22:05 Maluk wrote:
Other than that, thank you for the plan and I will definitely try it out (possibly replacing the bench press if doing it on my own is dangerous).

Thank you for the tip to find my level too, I like it a lot and I will do as you said as soon as I go to the gym for my first session !

Best of luck! check in here and let us know how you do.
zatic
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Zurich15366 Posts
June 27 2014 13:34 GMT
#1903
Or, just ask someone for a spot on your heaviest set. Having a regular gym buddy is great and all but you shouldn't skip bench because you are going by yourself.
ModeratorI know Teamliquid is known as a massive building
Shelke14
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada6655 Posts
June 27 2014 13:46 GMT
#1904
I find asking for a spot is the easiest thing to do now. Everyone is so damn nice. Everyone is there to get fit and if that means helping someone with a spot, I've never seen someone turn it down.

If you're worried about failing try free weight press on a flat bench. If you fail you can always just drop the weight at your sides without having to worry about a bar across your chest.
Maluk
Profile Joined August 2011
France987 Posts
June 27 2014 14:25 GMT
#1905
Oh, I didn't even know that "safety bars" existed. I guess my gym will have them, and if not I'll just ask for a sport as everyone recommended. Good news for me ; I was excited about the famous "bench press".

If I understand well, I am supposed to do "warming" sets of each exercise right before I do the exercise at maximum weight ?
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-06-27 15:06:03
June 27 2014 14:55 GMT
#1906
That's right. So if you were going to squat, for example 200 for your 3 sets of 5 your actual lifts would look something like...

10 reps with just the bar
8 reps with 135
5-8 reps with 165
If you're still nit feeling ready, maybe 3 reps with 185
5 reps with 200
Rest 3 mins
5 reps with 200
Rest 3 mins
5 reps with 200

Then you would bench or Ohp or whatever the program calls for.

These numbers were picked partly for convenience. It's easy to just "add a plate and do a set" - no need to be super specific with the percentages and such here.
Maluk
Profile Joined August 2011
France987 Posts
June 27 2014 15:28 GMT
#1907
Thank you ! I'm looking forward to lifting dem weights.
NB
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Netherlands12045 Posts
June 27 2014 16:40 GMT
#1908
I found this gem thinking you guys might be interested: http://instagram.com/rainbowoori

Its an instagram of a Kpop idol(female) where she regularly have her trainer record short videos and posted it.
You could see pretty clear exercise routine that the singers have to go through to keep their shape fit.

Cheers.
Im daed. Follow me @TL_NB
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
June 27 2014 17:11 GMT
#1909
I already know their workout regiment. It's called Not Eating.
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
n.DieJokes
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States3443 Posts
June 27 2014 17:33 GMT
#1910
Huh, that's interesting to me. They feel similar to me cause I warm up with a quick press at 135 but I never do anything weighted past the 15 or so rep range. Weird, whenever I get back in the gym I'll see how many I can do
MyLove + Your Love= Supa Love
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
June 27 2014 18:21 GMT
#1911
On June 28 2014 02:33 n.DieJokes wrote:
Huh, that's interesting to me. They feel similar to me cause I warm up with a quick press at 135 but I never do anything weighted past the 15 or so rep range. Weird, whenever I get back in the gym I'll see how many I can do


Before that particular workout, I don't think I had ever done more than a 10 tm. I believe for me that number is around 150, and my 5rm is, on a good day 180.
Jerubaal
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States7684 Posts
June 29 2014 22:58 GMT
#1912
On June 28 2014 02:11 farvacola wrote:
I already know their workout regiment. It's called Not Eating.


And the Two-Finger Chaser.
I'm not stupid, a marauder just shot my brain.
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7681 Posts
June 30 2014 23:59 GMT
#1913
[image loading]
The unrealistic sound of these propositions is indicative, not of their utopian character, but of the strength of the forces which prevent their realization.
NeedsmoreCELLTECH
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
Netherlands1242 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-07-01 09:50:57
July 01 2014 09:50 GMT
#1914
On June 24 2014 08:58 MtlGuitarist97 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 24 2014 08:23 Garbels wrote:
Still a good read(for me). Shows me how easy I have it and that I have to work harder. Similar to celltechs story a few pages back(or his story in general).

No, Celltech has it WAY harder than I did and is way more dedicated. I could've spent more time and tried to dedicate myself to it, but I just wanted the easier way out. Real life doesn't rearrange itself to give you time to lift and you kind of just have to accept that and say that you'll either lift regardless or you'll just live a sedentary life like everyone else. It's not really an excuse to just say that you had it hard for a while; everyone has it hard. The ones who want to succeed will keep lifting anyway.

This was a really moving comment. I do my utmost to keep a positive outlook and make progress despite any setbacks, but I get very, very little encouragement from my social circles when it comes to lifting. You're 100% right that if you want to find a way you will find a way. It means a lot that some dude on the internet acknowledges that I worked really, really hard to make good gains despite academic stress and a LOT of health issues.
Get huge or die mirin | Diamond on LoL
ShadeR
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Australia7535 Posts
July 01 2014 15:41 GMT
#1915
On June 12 2014 04:22 MtlGuitarist97 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 12 2014 04:07 farvacola wrote:
Just witnessed our resident crossfit instructor dislocate his shoulder doing good form kipping pull-ups lol

I feel like InfiniteElgsintensity would just love to comment on that

Just came across his channel. Hilarious.
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
July 01 2014 15:54 GMT
#1916
On June 27 2014 01:59 GoTuNk! wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 26 2014 15:14 decafchicken wrote:
@gotunk make sure you're catching and racking it properly and not with it jammed back against your neck cutting off your blood/air supply. If that's fine try tucking your chin down and in, this will give you more room to breath.

On June 26 2014 09:35 IgnE wrote:
Question for decaf:

Are your collarbones always bruised? I don't clean that often, and just keeping a bar with 300 or 400 lbs on it in the front rack position for front squatting always leaves me with tender collar bones and pink skin.


They used too. Now they're about as dense as depleted uranium and the nerves are pretty much dead. I think they were slightly uneven and my left got bigger until it was level with my right one. It also gets better as you learn how to clean properly and meet the bar instead of letting it crash on you.


I'm quite sure I don't have a heart problem. I have question about catching.

Do you try to catch on front squat position (as close to your neck as possible) or do you go with the top part of your delts to the bar? Maybe it has to do with 32mm bars, but I'm not the only one that uses them.

Morever over, when you front squat, do you get the bar as close to your neck as possible?


Bar is usually resting on my collarbone/delts more or less. I don't shove it into my neck. 32mm sucks but very doable. I have to use thick bars at my work gym and still hit max weights, but the 28.5mm bars at my real gym are soooo much more comfortable.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
July 01 2014 15:55 GMT
#1917
Back from partying in a forest/music festival all weekend. Haven't lifted in 6 days. Going to try to get a couple lifts in today, yoga tomorrow, and then back on vacation again and hopefully I'll be able to lift again before monday so I don't wither away and die.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
July 01 2014 18:31 GMT
#1918
Yesterday:

20 minutes to work up to a max snatch triple.
Hit 115x3 pretty comfortably. I still have NO explosiveness in my extension at the top of the lift.
Back Squat 185x7x5
That felt way heavier than it should have, but I have to assume the fact it was almost 90 degrees in the gym had something to do with it.

Conditioning:
3 Rounds for Time. Finished @ 23:26
15 Overhead Squats @ 75 lbs
30 abmat situps
45 overhead kettlebell swings @ 35 lbs

RX weights were 135 and 53. Did the first ten reps of KBS with 53 and realized I was not going to finish like that.

That's an improvement in times and in weights relative to the guys I was around the same level with when I started, so regardless of the fact it still sucks, it's progress, which I'm always happy with.
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
July 01 2014 18:38 GMT
#1919
Haven't gone over 405 for squats in a month or two while I strengthen my middle back so I just maxed out my squat and topped out at 475 after failing it once. Lols, there goes 35 pounds off my squat! I'm sure it will go up pretty quick though, Think i'm gonna do a ~3 week squat cycle starting next week and see where it's at after that. I'll do a lot more reps in the 80-90% for my snatch and clean and jerk. Went up to 128 and 150 last week and it was pretty abysmal stuff even though 120 and 140 felt like nothing. My body misses that heavy weight
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-07-01 23:29:06
July 01 2014 23:27 GMT
#1920
Today

Warmup EMOM as long as possible
7 Thrusters @ 75 lbs
7 pullups
7 burpees

EMOM for 10 minutes: Strict Press double
Completed 8 minutes @ 105 lbs. 1 Push Press 1 Press for the last two minutes.

7 sets of 6 pullups w/ 60 sec rest
Finished 5sets, did the last two 3+3 with 10 seconds between them.

Warmup, I failed first round, just because I didn't pace it right. Got to 5 burpees. Did a second round anyway and got back to 5 burpees, so I probably could have done 2 rounds if I had paced it right. It's a lot harder than it sounds, especially for a warmup. Might want to repeat that soon. Maybe thursday, after Grace, because that (and a holiday BBQ) is all that's scheduled for the day.

That was it for the written workout. Hung around to work on my pullups on my own. Decided I would do triples EMOM until I couldn't anymore. Hands tore up after 15 minutes so I called it there.

Probably going in early tomorrow to work on jumping rope.
Prev 1 94 95 96 97 98 173 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 34m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
GuemChi 1021
910 108
Hyun 68
NotJumperer 45
Bale 34
sorry 25
Noble 11
ajuk12(nOOB) 7
Britney 0
Dota 2
febbydoto219
League of Legends
JimRising 610
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King137
Other Games
summit1g6843
Coldzera 719
WinterStarcraft388
C9.Mang0234
ceh9232
NeuroSwarm108
ViBE32
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick609
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream38
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 31
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2246
League of Legends
• Rush1181
• Lourlo1032
• Stunt364
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
3h 34m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4h 34m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
17h 34m
Patches Events
1d 9h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.