• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:01
CEST 05:01
KST 12:01
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach0[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon101Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool The Death of Cheese: From a Professional Cheeser
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach StarCraft Human 'N' AI League
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9862 users

The Injuries Thread - Page 6

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 58 Next
fatfail
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States386 Posts
November 05 2011 02:46 GMT
#101
Thanks for the replies above. I'll schedule a visit to the doctor's office. I think it may be some kind of mild inflammation in my hands.
Kong fan... <3 Stork <3 Jangbi <3 Yellow <3 Fantasy
RemedySC
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada176 Posts
November 05 2011 05:22 GMT
#102
Not really an injury, but on my lower left leg I have a small bump that seems to be hollow or maybe just air. Also it only shows when i am putting pressure on that leg. If i'm sitting you can't see it.

Here is a picture -

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
[image loading]
emjaytron
Profile Joined June 2011
Australia544 Posts
November 06 2011 11:24 GMT
#103
probably just fluid sac? i believe you can get them in tendon sheaths, looks like a kinda odd spot for it though. i've seen them on people's wrists etc.
Grubby - SaSe - Oz - Hero
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
November 07 2011 06:58 GMT
#104
On November 04 2011 23:43 phyre112 wrote:
@eshlow, i think ive slipped my SI joint. I know you had a great writeup on it a while back when decaf was having problems with his, but im at a loss for how to find it. Tips?

Also, i'm on my phone now but i can describe the general problem and do a better writeup this afternoon.

Three days ago i woke up with shooting pains thhrough the top if my foot, any time i put pressure on the ball of the foot. I tried to i did ice, anti inflams, and a little comoression too but continued to practice on it. Stayed the same for the next day. That night i stood up out of a chair and noticed my hip felt "funny" like it had cme forwaprd out of place. This has happened before and usually goes awapy in a few hours oe apfter sleeping. In the morning i woke up with the same footpain (and by now i am limping a bit which i suppose created the problem in the firstp place) and experiencing mild radiating pain in the lateral side of my left knee (my left knee has never had problems, my right is bad) and the front of my hip socket. I continue thriugh my day, skipping oractice AND my lift, but it only gets worse.

This morning i woke up with pain in the same places (top of foot, outside of knee, front of hip) that i would rate a four. It affects my walking but unless i need to run, it isnt a "grit my teeth and suffer." In addition, the bottom of my foot has gone to pins and needles or numbness back and forth for an hour and a half now.

There is definitely somehig out of place in my hip, and i cant think of anything else that has bothered me in the last few days. I will clean this post up and attach pictures when i get to a pc.


Whenever it starts bothering me i just pop it back into place which it sounds like yours did on its own. I just lie on my back and put a foam roll between my knees (anything roughly 1-2 feet long should work) and squeeze together really hard untill i hear/feel the pop.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
phatymatyT
Profile Joined May 2010
United States12 Posts
November 08 2011 16:23 GMT
#105
I've been doing SS for about 5 months until I injured my back a month ago. I have reviewed the back article from eat move improve and am doing a lot better after a month off from squats and deadlifts. I have starting squatting again comfortably and am reworking my form. My deadlift, however, is still uncomfortable. I feel weak, tired, and sore after, even without any weight on the bar. Should I start trying to pull sumo instead? Or should I just take more time off?

The injury was most likely a slipped disc. It hurts in the spine, about level with the PSIS. I'm pretty certain it was from dipping my butt down at the bottom of the squat to try to reach parallel. The pain is almost gone, but it hurts when i flex the spine a lot when trying to put on shoes. I'm seeing a chiropractor later today, so I'll probably have a better diagnosis soon. I will work on getting videos of my form for deadlifts and squats.
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
November 08 2011 16:46 GMT
#106
Did you do the mobility work in the article?
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
phatymatyT
Profile Joined May 2010
United States12 Posts
November 08 2011 20:34 GMT
#107
Yes and I still continue to do them. Should I take more time off from regular lifting and keep doing mobility stuff?
AndyJay
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Australia833 Posts
November 09 2011 09:56 GMT
#108
Hi I just wanted to ask what people thought of the advice given in this video. I have a strange pain in my hip when I reach depth with my squats and I have poor flexibility. This video seems to address the problem and the seated stretch and the foam rolling exercise really seem to hit the spot.

eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
November 09 2011 15:19 GMT
#109
On November 09 2011 05:34 phatymatyT wrote:
Yes and I still continue to do them. Should I take more time off from regular lifting and keep doing mobility stuff?


Yes.

If you have access to a gym try some reverse hyperextensions. that exercise is generally pretty good for rehabbing the back,.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
November 09 2011 16:41 GMT
#110
On November 09 2011 18:56 AndyJay wrote:
Hi I just wanted to ask what people thought of the advice given in this video. I have a strange pain in my hip when I reach depth with my squats and I have poor flexibility. This video seems to address the problem and the seated stretch and the foam rolling exercise really seem to hit the spot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7usNiXbA11w


I mean I don't know your particular dysfunctions but if its really helping you then I would keep using it
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
November 09 2011 17:22 GMT
#111
I think have a really small muscle tear on my inner quad. Doesn't hurt on squatting, just on heavy sumo deadlifts.
Injury feels really small and I actually didn't notice pain until after training. It also feels slightly tight. My powerlifting meet is on november 26.

Do you think its possible to just keep normal training and applying ice after training till the 26th is doable? I understand this will make healing time increase dramatically afterwards. Obviously i'll keep re evaluating if it gets worse.

Medicine/supplements recomended would be great aswell. Only taking portein shakes and creatine (2nd week) currently.
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
November 10 2011 15:23 GMT
#112
On November 10 2011 02:22 GoTuNk! wrote:
I think have a really small muscle tear on my inner quad. Doesn't hurt on squatting, just on heavy sumo deadlifts.
Injury feels really small and I actually didn't notice pain until after training. It also feels slightly tight. My powerlifting meet is on november 26.

Do you think its possible to just keep normal training and applying ice after training till the 26th is doable? I understand this will make healing time increase dramatically afterwards. Obviously i'll keep re evaluating if it gets worse.

Medicine/supplements recomended would be great aswell. Only taking portein shakes and creatine (2nd week) currently.


Nothing really is going to help strains except rest and then proper rehab....

I mean you can try to work through it and see what happens though
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
November 12 2011 00:44 GMT
#113
Had a bump on my left collar bone for a few weeks now, thought it would go away by now and its really bitch on my cleans/front squats. Just a little bit of a bump on it towards the middle of my chest that doesnt bother me unless i apply pressure to it. Even if still applying pressure the initial pain goes away after a second. Not really sure what to make of it, there's no bruising or anything.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
November 20 2011 09:58 GMT
#114
+ Show Spoiler +
1. Google a pic and mark where it hurts.
Where the black circle is.
[image loading]

2. What exercises hurt? Which shoulder articulations hurt? Make sure you check both with passive motion and resistive/active motion.
Chin-ups. Shoulders are fine.

3. What type of pain is it? Burning? Ache? Tingling? Sharp?
Continuous sharp pain in my neck.

4. What would you rate the pain at on a 0/10 scale? 0 being no pain, 10 being go to the emergency room.
When it's at its worst, probably 8. Hurts too much for me to function normally. Had to lie down today for a few minutes before I could tolerate the pain.

5. Acute or chronic (chronic more than ~6-8 weeks)? What date was onset? How has the pain improved since the initial injury?
Chronic. It gets worse when I push myself during chin-ups. Been hurting on and off since I started training 3 months ago.

6. Have you been training through pain? If so, how long?
Sort of, for a couple of months.

7. How deep is the pain? Is it more superficial tissues? Or does it seem to be more inside or around the joint? Describe it.
It's in my neck muscles.

8. What have you been doing for recovery purposes?
Nothing much. Pain goes away after a while.

9. What seems to help? What seems to make it worse? Is it constant? Does it increase/decrease with certain activities?
Just relaxing seems to help the pain go away. Massages seem to do nothing. Chin-ups is the only thing that makes it worse.

10. Check the tissue quality of the surrounding muscles. Which ones are tight? Which ones are tender? Is there any swelling?
It's only on the right side, left side feels fine. The muscle that connects to the back of my skull seems to be the one that hurts. Can't feel any swelling.

11. How does it feel after exercise (if any)? How does it feel at the beginning of the day? How about the end of the day?
After chin-ups it hurts like hell sometimes, other times it's just a small headache. I feel fine as long as I don't do chin-ups.

12. Any previous injury history?
Hurt my neck practicing back flips once in the same place. Was also in a car accident but I hurt my knees that time so it's probably not relevant.

13. How's your posture?
Not that great.

14. What is your current workout routine for that bodypart? Do you play any sports?
Don't work out my neck in particular I played soccer on and off but not playing any sports atm.

15. Any other information I should be aware of or that comes to mind that may help?
When I do chin-ups, my solar plexus also hurts. Similar pain as my neck but it doesn't last as long.
Official Entusman #21
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
November 20 2011 18:44 GMT
#115
On November 20 2011 18:58 infinity21 wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
1. Google a pic and mark where it hurts.
Where the black circle is.
[image loading]

2. What exercises hurt? Which shoulder articulations hurt? Make sure you check both with passive motion and resistive/active motion.
Chin-ups. Shoulders are fine.

3. What type of pain is it? Burning? Ache? Tingling? Sharp?
Continuous sharp pain in my neck.

4. What would you rate the pain at on a 0/10 scale? 0 being no pain, 10 being go to the emergency room.
When it's at its worst, probably 8. Hurts too much for me to function normally. Had to lie down today for a few minutes before I could tolerate the pain.

5. Acute or chronic (chronic more than ~6-8 weeks)? What date was onset? How has the pain improved since the initial injury?
Chronic. It gets worse when I push myself during chin-ups. Been hurting on and off since I started training 3 months ago.

6. Have you been training through pain? If so, how long?
Sort of, for a couple of months.

7. How deep is the pain? Is it more superficial tissues? Or does it seem to be more inside or around the joint? Describe it.
It's in my neck muscles.

8. What have you been doing for recovery purposes?
Nothing much. Pain goes away after a while.

9. What seems to help? What seems to make it worse? Is it constant? Does it increase/decrease with certain activities?
Just relaxing seems to help the pain go away. Massages seem to do nothing. Chin-ups is the only thing that makes it worse.

10. Check the tissue quality of the surrounding muscles. Which ones are tight? Which ones are tender? Is there any swelling?
It's only on the right side, left side feels fine. The muscle that connects to the back of my skull seems to be the one that hurts. Can't feel any swelling.

11. How does it feel after exercise (if any)? How does it feel at the beginning of the day? How about the end of the day?
After chin-ups it hurts like hell sometimes, other times it's just a small headache. I feel fine as long as I don't do chin-ups.

12. Any previous injury history?
Hurt my neck practicing back flips once in the same place. Was also in a car accident but I hurt my knees that time so it's probably not relevant.

13. How's your posture?
Not that great.

14. What is your current workout routine for that bodypart? Do you play any sports?
Don't work out my neck in particular I played soccer on and off but not playing any sports atm.

15. Any other information I should be aware of or that comes to mind that may help?
When I do chin-ups, my solar plexus also hurts. Similar pain as my neck but it doesn't last as long.



Are you craning your neck doing chins?

If so, change your form.

This is pretty odd though.. if it gets worse you might wanna get it checked out by a doc or PT
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
November 20 2011 19:28 GMT
#116
On November 21 2011 03:44 eshlow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 20 2011 18:58 infinity21 wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
1. Google a pic and mark where it hurts.
Where the black circle is.
[image loading]

2. What exercises hurt? Which shoulder articulations hurt? Make sure you check both with passive motion and resistive/active motion.
Chin-ups. Shoulders are fine.

3. What type of pain is it? Burning? Ache? Tingling? Sharp?
Continuous sharp pain in my neck.

4. What would you rate the pain at on a 0/10 scale? 0 being no pain, 10 being go to the emergency room.
When it's at its worst, probably 8. Hurts too much for me to function normally. Had to lie down today for a few minutes before I could tolerate the pain.

5. Acute or chronic (chronic more than ~6-8 weeks)? What date was onset? How has the pain improved since the initial injury?
Chronic. It gets worse when I push myself during chin-ups. Been hurting on and off since I started training 3 months ago.

6. Have you been training through pain? If so, how long?
Sort of, for a couple of months.

7. How deep is the pain? Is it more superficial tissues? Or does it seem to be more inside or around the joint? Describe it.
It's in my neck muscles.

8. What have you been doing for recovery purposes?
Nothing much. Pain goes away after a while.

9. What seems to help? What seems to make it worse? Is it constant? Does it increase/decrease with certain activities?
Just relaxing seems to help the pain go away. Massages seem to do nothing. Chin-ups is the only thing that makes it worse.

10. Check the tissue quality of the surrounding muscles. Which ones are tight? Which ones are tender? Is there any swelling?
It's only on the right side, left side feels fine. The muscle that connects to the back of my skull seems to be the one that hurts. Can't feel any swelling.

11. How does it feel after exercise (if any)? How does it feel at the beginning of the day? How about the end of the day?
After chin-ups it hurts like hell sometimes, other times it's just a small headache. I feel fine as long as I don't do chin-ups.

12. Any previous injury history?
Hurt my neck practicing back flips once in the same place. Was also in a car accident but I hurt my knees that time so it's probably not relevant.

13. How's your posture?
Not that great.

14. What is your current workout routine for that bodypart? Do you play any sports?
Don't work out my neck in particular I played soccer on and off but not playing any sports atm.

15. Any other information I should be aware of or that comes to mind that may help?
When I do chin-ups, my solar plexus also hurts. Similar pain as my neck but it doesn't last as long.



Are you craning your neck doing chins?

If so, change your form.

This is pretty odd though.. if it gets worse you might wanna get it checked out by a doc or PT

Sometimes. I'll keep my head neutral all the time from now on.
Do you think doing stretches and a few chin-ups at BW will help?
Official Entusman #21
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
November 20 2011 19:42 GMT
#117
On November 21 2011 04:28 infinity21 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 21 2011 03:44 eshlow wrote:
On November 20 2011 18:58 infinity21 wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
1. Google a pic and mark where it hurts.
Where the black circle is.
[image loading]

2. What exercises hurt? Which shoulder articulations hurt? Make sure you check both with passive motion and resistive/active motion.
Chin-ups. Shoulders are fine.

3. What type of pain is it? Burning? Ache? Tingling? Sharp?
Continuous sharp pain in my neck.

4. What would you rate the pain at on a 0/10 scale? 0 being no pain, 10 being go to the emergency room.
When it's at its worst, probably 8. Hurts too much for me to function normally. Had to lie down today for a few minutes before I could tolerate the pain.

5. Acute or chronic (chronic more than ~6-8 weeks)? What date was onset? How has the pain improved since the initial injury?
Chronic. It gets worse when I push myself during chin-ups. Been hurting on and off since I started training 3 months ago.

6. Have you been training through pain? If so, how long?
Sort of, for a couple of months.

7. How deep is the pain? Is it more superficial tissues? Or does it seem to be more inside or around the joint? Describe it.
It's in my neck muscles.

8. What have you been doing for recovery purposes?
Nothing much. Pain goes away after a while.

9. What seems to help? What seems to make it worse? Is it constant? Does it increase/decrease with certain activities?
Just relaxing seems to help the pain go away. Massages seem to do nothing. Chin-ups is the only thing that makes it worse.

10. Check the tissue quality of the surrounding muscles. Which ones are tight? Which ones are tender? Is there any swelling?
It's only on the right side, left side feels fine. The muscle that connects to the back of my skull seems to be the one that hurts. Can't feel any swelling.

11. How does it feel after exercise (if any)? How does it feel at the beginning of the day? How about the end of the day?
After chin-ups it hurts like hell sometimes, other times it's just a small headache. I feel fine as long as I don't do chin-ups.

12. Any previous injury history?
Hurt my neck practicing back flips once in the same place. Was also in a car accident but I hurt my knees that time so it's probably not relevant.

13. How's your posture?
Not that great.

14. What is your current workout routine for that bodypart? Do you play any sports?
Don't work out my neck in particular I played soccer on and off but not playing any sports atm.

15. Any other information I should be aware of or that comes to mind that may help?
When I do chin-ups, my solar plexus also hurts. Similar pain as my neck but it doesn't last as long.



Are you craning your neck doing chins?

If so, change your form.

This is pretty odd though.. if it gets worse you might wanna get it checked out by a doc or PT

Sometimes. I'll keep my head neutral all the time from now on.
Do you think doing stretches and a few chin-ups at BW will help?


See what happens doing that.

The fact that only chins are aggravating it is a bit suspicious... likely some sort of form/technique issue?
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
November 20 2011 19:52 GMT
#118
On November 21 2011 04:42 eshlow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 21 2011 04:28 infinity21 wrote:
On November 21 2011 03:44 eshlow wrote:
On November 20 2011 18:58 infinity21 wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
1. Google a pic and mark where it hurts.
Where the black circle is.
[image loading]

2. What exercises hurt? Which shoulder articulations hurt? Make sure you check both with passive motion and resistive/active motion.
Chin-ups. Shoulders are fine.

3. What type of pain is it? Burning? Ache? Tingling? Sharp?
Continuous sharp pain in my neck.

4. What would you rate the pain at on a 0/10 scale? 0 being no pain, 10 being go to the emergency room.
When it's at its worst, probably 8. Hurts too much for me to function normally. Had to lie down today for a few minutes before I could tolerate the pain.

5. Acute or chronic (chronic more than ~6-8 weeks)? What date was onset? How has the pain improved since the initial injury?
Chronic. It gets worse when I push myself during chin-ups. Been hurting on and off since I started training 3 months ago.

6. Have you been training through pain? If so, how long?
Sort of, for a couple of months.

7. How deep is the pain? Is it more superficial tissues? Or does it seem to be more inside or around the joint? Describe it.
It's in my neck muscles.

8. What have you been doing for recovery purposes?
Nothing much. Pain goes away after a while.

9. What seems to help? What seems to make it worse? Is it constant? Does it increase/decrease with certain activities?
Just relaxing seems to help the pain go away. Massages seem to do nothing. Chin-ups is the only thing that makes it worse.

10. Check the tissue quality of the surrounding muscles. Which ones are tight? Which ones are tender? Is there any swelling?
It's only on the right side, left side feels fine. The muscle that connects to the back of my skull seems to be the one that hurts. Can't feel any swelling.

11. How does it feel after exercise (if any)? How does it feel at the beginning of the day? How about the end of the day?
After chin-ups it hurts like hell sometimes, other times it's just a small headache. I feel fine as long as I don't do chin-ups.

12. Any previous injury history?
Hurt my neck practicing back flips once in the same place. Was also in a car accident but I hurt my knees that time so it's probably not relevant.

13. How's your posture?
Not that great.

14. What is your current workout routine for that bodypart? Do you play any sports?
Don't work out my neck in particular I played soccer on and off but not playing any sports atm.

15. Any other information I should be aware of or that comes to mind that may help?
When I do chin-ups, my solar plexus also hurts. Similar pain as my neck but it doesn't last as long.



Are you craning your neck doing chins?

If so, change your form.

This is pretty odd though.. if it gets worse you might wanna get it checked out by a doc or PT

Sometimes. I'll keep my head neutral all the time from now on.
Do you think doing stretches and a few chin-ups at BW will help?


See what happens doing that.

The fact that only chins are aggravating it is a bit suspicious... likely some sort of form/technique issue?

I've deloaded atm but my highest work set was 42.5lb. When it hurt yesterday, I was only doing 35lb and it wasn't that hard so I find that a bit odd.

Oh, I just realized I put the weights in a backpack instead of using a chain like what most people do. Would that be bad for my neck?

Just tried 5 chin-ups at BW and it still hurt, but nowhere near as bad as last night. Been having a dull pain at 1-2 all day but it went up one step after the BW chin-ups.
Official Entusman #21
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
November 20 2011 23:31 GMT
#119
On November 21 2011 04:52 infinity21 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 21 2011 04:42 eshlow wrote:
On November 21 2011 04:28 infinity21 wrote:
On November 21 2011 03:44 eshlow wrote:
On November 20 2011 18:58 infinity21 wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
1. Google a pic and mark where it hurts.
Where the black circle is.
[image loading]

2. What exercises hurt? Which shoulder articulations hurt? Make sure you check both with passive motion and resistive/active motion.
Chin-ups. Shoulders are fine.

3. What type of pain is it? Burning? Ache? Tingling? Sharp?
Continuous sharp pain in my neck.

4. What would you rate the pain at on a 0/10 scale? 0 being no pain, 10 being go to the emergency room.
When it's at its worst, probably 8. Hurts too much for me to function normally. Had to lie down today for a few minutes before I could tolerate the pain.

5. Acute or chronic (chronic more than ~6-8 weeks)? What date was onset? How has the pain improved since the initial injury?
Chronic. It gets worse when I push myself during chin-ups. Been hurting on and off since I started training 3 months ago.

6. Have you been training through pain? If so, how long?
Sort of, for a couple of months.

7. How deep is the pain? Is it more superficial tissues? Or does it seem to be more inside or around the joint? Describe it.
It's in my neck muscles.

8. What have you been doing for recovery purposes?
Nothing much. Pain goes away after a while.

9. What seems to help? What seems to make it worse? Is it constant? Does it increase/decrease with certain activities?
Just relaxing seems to help the pain go away. Massages seem to do nothing. Chin-ups is the only thing that makes it worse.

10. Check the tissue quality of the surrounding muscles. Which ones are tight? Which ones are tender? Is there any swelling?
It's only on the right side, left side feels fine. The muscle that connects to the back of my skull seems to be the one that hurts. Can't feel any swelling.

11. How does it feel after exercise (if any)? How does it feel at the beginning of the day? How about the end of the day?
After chin-ups it hurts like hell sometimes, other times it's just a small headache. I feel fine as long as I don't do chin-ups.

12. Any previous injury history?
Hurt my neck practicing back flips once in the same place. Was also in a car accident but I hurt my knees that time so it's probably not relevant.

13. How's your posture?
Not that great.

14. What is your current workout routine for that bodypart? Do you play any sports?
Don't work out my neck in particular I played soccer on and off but not playing any sports atm.

15. Any other information I should be aware of or that comes to mind that may help?
When I do chin-ups, my solar plexus also hurts. Similar pain as my neck but it doesn't last as long.



Are you craning your neck doing chins?

If so, change your form.

This is pretty odd though.. if it gets worse you might wanna get it checked out by a doc or PT

Sometimes. I'll keep my head neutral all the time from now on.
Do you think doing stretches and a few chin-ups at BW will help?


See what happens doing that.

The fact that only chins are aggravating it is a bit suspicious... likely some sort of form/technique issue?

I've deloaded atm but my highest work set was 42.5lb. When it hurt yesterday, I was only doing 35lb and it wasn't that hard so I find that a bit odd.

Oh, I just realized I put the weights in a backpack instead of using a chain like what most people do. Would that be bad for my neck?

Just tried 5 chin-ups at BW and it still hurt, but nowhere near as bad as last night. Been having a dull pain at 1-2 all day but it went up one step after the BW chin-ups.


Hmm.. could be an issue with the neck or thoracic outlet. Would suggest getting it checked out by a PT if it's bothering you even when you're not exercising
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
FyRe_DragOn
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
Canada2057 Posts
November 21 2011 01:06 GMT
#120
eshlow, im not sure if this is the right place to post this, but do you have any knowledge about ergonomic computer chair set up to avoid RSI? I have rotator cuff tendonitus, or possibly tendonosis in my left shoulder. I read the tendonitus article you linked and it seems to be helping, albeit slowly. Id like to avoid aggravating the injury by placing undue stress on the tendons in my shoulder, but the info ive come across so far is contradicting. Basically, what kind of posture is best for gaming? Should I be sitting up straight without the use of arm rests/back rests etc as if I was on a stool, or are those things good? thnx for any advice you can give..
aka DragOn[NaS]
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 58 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
00:00
2026 GSTL: Grand Finals
CranKy Ducklings127
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
23:00
OSC Masters Cup #151 Qualifier
davetesta31
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 232
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 10595
Terrorterran 5
Dota 2
monkeys_forever1116
NeuroSwarm203
febbydoto20
League of Legends
JimRising 703
Counter-Strike
taco 259
minikerr48
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King316
hungrybox129
Other Games
summit1g9486
Maynarde214
ArmadaUGS40
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick446
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 6
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 191
• Letter145
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo636
• Rush411
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
7h
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
8h
Monday Night Weeklies
13h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 7h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 7h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 21h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.