• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:44
CEST 15:44
KST 22:44
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20264Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) 5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8974 users

TL Health and Fitness Initiative 2011 - Page 687

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 685 686 687 688 689 730 Next
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
November 22 2011 21:57 GMT
#13721
On November 23 2011 03:30 FiWiFaKi wrote:
Pull-ups are honestly my most hated exercise.

Dips I am doing first a warm up of 2x12 with 60lb assist (ezpz), after that 4x5-8 (as many as I can do) with +50 pounds added to my belt... So that's pretty decent, my triceps aren't amazing by any means, but I'm happy with those numbers.

For pull ups, the distance between my hands is about 3 feet or a bit less than one meter. I do a 90 lb assist followed by 80lb assist for warm up. These are nice, my body isn't moving too much and I have good form where my back in nicely flexed at the top of my lift. But once my real lifts start and I go for 60lb assist, followed by 50lb assist, then 40lb assist twice... I go for 6 reps, the first part of the lift is nice and easy, but once my arms have a 90 degree angle, I just cannot pull myself up, and I think it's more of my biceps restricting it than my back. I don't think my back is that weak, I mean I'm doing 160lb lateral rows, and 135lb on the ones where you're like laying down... Makes me mad that there is such a big disparity.

My weight stopped going up quite a bit, I see minor improvements of maybe 2-3lb every week, so atleast it is still progress, but what I am happy about is I am putting on size.

How much do you weigh? o.O
iirc your main lifts are pretty decent so I wonder why your pull-ups are so far behind. What's your current routine? How often do you do pulls/chins?

Time to do some bicep curls in the squat rack lol
Official Entusman #21
Raidern
Profile Joined February 2005
Brazil3821 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-22 22:05:43
November 22 2011 22:05 GMT
#13722
okay, so after spending 3h reading both Rippetoe's programming and Stronglift's report, I decided to reset my training. I think I made a big mistake when I 1st started, which is starting with my 7RM (for 3x5) instead of starting light. That would probably slow down my progress in the long run albeit allowed me to feel like I was "strong" even though I'm a beginner. I guess if I start light, my body will have time to get strong enough for me to be able to lift heavier weights in the future.

That's from Rippetoe's SS:

For example, if you bench more than you deadlift, something is out of whack. You may have a grip problem, an injury, or a motivational discontinuity, e.g. a strong dislike for the deadlift. In any case, this situation should be addressed
lest a strength imbalance cause problems for other lifts.


What you guys think?
For the Swarm!
glurio
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany597 Posts
November 22 2011 22:05 GMT
#13723
On November 23 2011 03:30 FiWiFaKi wrote:
Pull-ups are honestly my most hated exercise.

Dips I am doing first a warm up of 2x12 with 60lb assist (ezpz), after that 4x5-8 (as many as I can do) with +50 pounds added to my belt... So that's pretty decent, my triceps aren't amazing by any means, but I'm happy with those numbers.

For pull ups, the distance between my hands is about 3 feet or a bit less than one meter. I do a 90 lb assist followed by 80lb assist for warm up. These are nice, my body isn't moving too much and I have good form where my back in nicely flexed at the top of my lift. But once my real lifts start and I go for 60lb assist, followed by 50lb assist, then 40lb assist twice... I go for 6 reps, the first part of the lift is nice and easy, but once my arms have a 90 degree angle, I just cannot pull myself up, and I think it's more of my biceps restricting it than my back. I don't think my back is that weak, I mean I'm doing 160lb lateral rows, and 135lb on the ones where you're like laying down... Makes me mad that there is such a big disparity.

My weight stopped going up quite a bit, I see minor improvements of maybe 2-3lb every week, so atleast it is still progress, but what I am happy about is I am putting on size.


What are lateral rows?
It's probably your back (lats or upper back) restricting, biceps don't do that much if the rest is good. Skip assisted pullups, do negatives and lat pulldown instead.
Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right. - Henry Ford
glurio
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany597 Posts
November 22 2011 22:07 GMT
#13724
On November 23 2011 07:05 Raidern wrote:
okay, so after spending 3h reading both Rippetoe's programming and Stronglift's report, I decided to reset my training. I think I made a big mistake when I 1st started, which is starting with my 7RM (for 3x5) instead of starting light. That would probably slow down my progress in the long run albeit allowed me to feel like I was "strong" even though I'm a beginner. I guess if I start light, my body will have time to get strong enough for me to be able to lift heavier weights in the future.

That's from Rippetoe's SS:

Show nested quote +
For example, if you bench more than you deadlift, something is out of whack. You may have a grip problem, an injury, or a motivational discontinuity, e.g. a strong dislike for the deadlift. In any case, this situation should be addressed
lest a strength imbalance cause problems for other lifts.


What you guys think?



If after a long time of training your bench is higher than your deadlift, yeah somethings wrong. But if you only ever did bench and never squatted before, it's normal your bench is better at first.

And yes, starting lighter is much smarter. Reset.
Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right. - Henry Ford
Logros
Profile Joined September 2010
Netherlands9913 Posts
November 22 2011 22:28 GMT
#13725
On November 23 2011 03:30 FiWiFaKi wrote:
Pull-ups are honestly my most hated exercise.

Dips I am doing first a warm up of 2x12 with 60lb assist (ezpz), after that 4x5-8 (as many as I can do) with +50 pounds added to my belt... So that's pretty decent, my triceps aren't amazing by any means, but I'm happy with those numbers.

For pull ups, the distance between my hands is about 3 feet or a bit less than one meter. I do a 90 lb assist followed by 80lb assist for warm up. These are nice, my body isn't moving too much and I have good form where my back in nicely flexed at the top of my lift. But once my real lifts start and I go for 60lb assist, followed by 50lb assist, then 40lb assist twice... I go for 6 reps, the first part of the lift is nice and easy, but once my arms have a 90 degree angle, I just cannot pull myself up, and I think it's more of my biceps restricting it than my back. I don't think my back is that weak, I mean I'm doing 160lb lateral rows, and 135lb on the ones where you're like laying down... Makes me mad that there is such a big disparity.

My weight stopped going up quite a bit, I see minor improvements of maybe 2-3lb every week, so atleast it is still progress, but what I am happy about is I am putting on size.

After messing around with an assisted machine and pulldowns for a while as well I switched to doing negatives and just holding at the top for as long as you can and this really helped speed up my progress to doing actual pull-ups. It might also be a good idea to start with chin-ups first as those are a bit easier for most people.
FFGenerations
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
7088 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-22 22:45:05
November 22 2011 22:43 GMT
#13726
be careful because you can hurt yourself quite easily doing negatives IMO :/ personally i wouldnt recommend them, they are not enjoyable and are gay

you should forget about them and instead do some dumbell curls every so often, after a while you will suddenly find yourself able to do multiple chin/pullups shockingly, this happened to me the other day
Cool BW Music Vid - youtube.com/watch?v=W54nlqJ-Nx8 ~~~~~ ᕤ OYSTERS ᕤ CLAMS ᕤ AND ᕤ CUCKOLDS ᕤ ~~~~~~ ༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ PUNCH HIM ༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ
FiWiFaKi
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Canada9859 Posts
November 22 2011 23:18 GMT
#13727
On November 23 2011 06:57 infinity21 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 23 2011 03:30 FiWiFaKi wrote:
Pull-ups are honestly my most hated exercise.

Dips I am doing first a warm up of 2x12 with 60lb assist (ezpz), after that 4x5-8 (as many as I can do) with +50 pounds added to my belt... So that's pretty decent, my triceps aren't amazing by any means, but I'm happy with those numbers.

For pull ups, the distance between my hands is about 3 feet or a bit less than one meter. I do a 90 lb assist followed by 80lb assist for warm up. These are nice, my body isn't moving too much and I have good form where my back in nicely flexed at the top of my lift. But once my real lifts start and I go for 60lb assist, followed by 50lb assist, then 40lb assist twice... I go for 6 reps, the first part of the lift is nice and easy, but once my arms have a 90 degree angle, I just cannot pull myself up, and I think it's more of my biceps restricting it than my back. I don't think my back is that weak, I mean I'm doing 160lb lateral rows, and 135lb on the ones where you're like laying down... Makes me mad that there is such a big disparity.

My weight stopped going up quite a bit, I see minor improvements of maybe 2-3lb every week, so atleast it is still progress, but what I am happy about is I am putting on size.

How much do you weigh? o.O
iirc your main lifts are pretty decent so I wonder why your pull-ups are so far behind. What's your current routine? How often do you do pulls/chins?

Time to do some bicep curls in the squat rack lol


I go 3x a week.

Chest + Biceps
Back + Triceps
Shoulders + Legs

And I fit my dead-lift, forearms, and calves wherever I deem fit. I do these 3 over and over, lately repeating them every 5 days or so. For my biceps they are only done during bicep day but I do 45lb seated hammer curls, 80lb standing ez bar curls, and 30lb sitting alternating curls (this is after Im already very tired)... And I mean training back gets your biceps going too, and there I do pull-ups, lateral rows (which is sitting on a bench, and pulling a cable), and then the rows where you bends you bend your back, and pull the bar towards you).

As for comparison, my chin-ups I can do 8 body weight chin-ups, which is no amazing feat but quite a bit better than my pull-ups, my squats are 285lbs and I'm able to keep my back straight so I'm not sure. My conclusion is that it's my lats that are really weak, since I don't think any of the main lifts really target them? I'm 170 pounds right now, 5'10".
In life, the journey is more satisfying than the destination. || .::Entrepreneurship::. Living a few years of your life like most people won't, so that you can spend the rest of your life like most people can't || Mechanical Engineering & Economics Major
FiWiFaKi
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Canada9859 Posts
November 22 2011 23:22 GMT
#13728
On November 23 2011 07:28 Logros wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 23 2011 03:30 FiWiFaKi wrote:
Pull-ups are honestly my most hated exercise.

Dips I am doing first a warm up of 2x12 with 60lb assist (ezpz), after that 4x5-8 (as many as I can do) with +50 pounds added to my belt... So that's pretty decent, my triceps aren't amazing by any means, but I'm happy with those numbers.

For pull ups, the distance between my hands is about 3 feet or a bit less than one meter. I do a 90 lb assist followed by 80lb assist for warm up. These are nice, my body isn't moving too much and I have good form where my back in nicely flexed at the top of my lift. But once my real lifts start and I go for 60lb assist, followed by 50lb assist, then 40lb assist twice... I go for 6 reps, the first part of the lift is nice and easy, but once my arms have a 90 degree angle, I just cannot pull myself up, and I think it's more of my biceps restricting it than my back. I don't think my back is that weak, I mean I'm doing 160lb lateral rows, and 135lb on the ones where you're like laying down... Makes me mad that there is such a big disparity.

My weight stopped going up quite a bit, I see minor improvements of maybe 2-3lb every week, so atleast it is still progress, but what I am happy about is I am putting on size.

After messing around with an assisted machine and pulldowns for a while as well I switched to doing negatives and just holding at the top for as long as you can and this really helped speed up my progress to doing actual pull-ups. It might also be a good idea to start with chin-ups first as those are a bit easier for most people.


I will try the holding at the top, I think that's a good idea.

With a few lifts I have this problem where one part of the lift is difficult, but once you get past it it's super easy, so if there was a specific way to focus on a single smaller motion, I'd try it. Like doing bench press from chest to 6 inches up, over and over, is a lot more difficult than touching chest, then getting your arms to lock, etc.
In life, the journey is more satisfying than the destination. || .::Entrepreneurship::. Living a few years of your life like most people won't, so that you can spend the rest of your life like most people can't || Mechanical Engineering & Economics Major
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
November 22 2011 23:34 GMT
#13729
On November 23 2011 08:18 FiWiFaKi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 23 2011 06:57 infinity21 wrote:
On November 23 2011 03:30 FiWiFaKi wrote:
Pull-ups are honestly my most hated exercise.

Dips I am doing first a warm up of 2x12 with 60lb assist (ezpz), after that 4x5-8 (as many as I can do) with +50 pounds added to my belt... So that's pretty decent, my triceps aren't amazing by any means, but I'm happy with those numbers.

For pull ups, the distance between my hands is about 3 feet or a bit less than one meter. I do a 90 lb assist followed by 80lb assist for warm up. These are nice, my body isn't moving too much and I have good form where my back in nicely flexed at the top of my lift. But once my real lifts start and I go for 60lb assist, followed by 50lb assist, then 40lb assist twice... I go for 6 reps, the first part of the lift is nice and easy, but once my arms have a 90 degree angle, I just cannot pull myself up, and I think it's more of my biceps restricting it than my back. I don't think my back is that weak, I mean I'm doing 160lb lateral rows, and 135lb on the ones where you're like laying down... Makes me mad that there is such a big disparity.

My weight stopped going up quite a bit, I see minor improvements of maybe 2-3lb every week, so atleast it is still progress, but what I am happy about is I am putting on size.

How much do you weigh? o.O
iirc your main lifts are pretty decent so I wonder why your pull-ups are so far behind. What's your current routine? How often do you do pulls/chins?

Time to do some bicep curls in the squat rack lol


I go 3x a week.

Chest + Biceps
Back + Triceps
Shoulders + Legs

And I fit my dead-lift, forearms, and calves wherever I deem fit. I do these 3 over and over, lately repeating them every 5 days or so. For my biceps they are only done during bicep day but I do 45lb seated hammer curls, 80lb standing ez bar curls, and 30lb sitting alternating curls (this is after Im already very tired)... And I mean training back gets your biceps going too, and there I do pull-ups, lateral rows (which is sitting on a bench, and pulling a cable), and then the rows where you bends you bend your back, and pull the bar towards you).

As for comparison, my chin-ups I can do 8 body weight chin-ups, which is no amazing feat but quite a bit better than my pull-ups, my squats are 285lbs and I'm able to keep my back straight so I'm not sure. My conclusion is that it's my lats that are really weak, since I don't think any of the main lifts really target them? I'm 170 pounds right now, 5'10".

I'm not sure exactly what muscles are being used at what point for pulls/chins but I'm pretty sure they are very close. I only did weighted chins and can do just as many body weight pulls as chins :s I think you can try doing weighted chin-ups and it will strengthen your lats naturally. I think wider grip works your lats more so try some BW chins with a slightly wider than shoulder-width grip if you aren't already.

Wish I didn't get a splitting headache every time I did them. Did 14 pull-ups today and had to lie in bed for 2 hours
Official Entusman #21
glurio
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany597 Posts
November 22 2011 23:35 GMT
#13730
You should switch your routine up, the bro-split isn't very good. I used it too for a long time and got much better results with different splits. Try Upper/Lower with ABA on week 1 and BAB on week 2 or some advanced routine, look in the training thread stickie there should be a link. What helped me the most was training everything 2 times a week.

If you can curl that much it's definately not your biceps which lacks. Try bent over rows, seated cable rows, lat pulldowns, all heavy to get your lats up a bit. Don't forget your upper back, get it mad strong, looks good and helps with pullups.

I've never heard anyone having problems with negative pull-ups. It's basically what i always recommend people for learning their first pull up.
Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right. - Henry Ford
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
November 23 2011 03:43 GMT
#13731
haven't been to the gym for the last two weeks; couldn't stop coughing for ten minutes at a given time, less if I was up and moving... so I figured I couldn't keep the tension in my body to lift safely. Went back and hit the weights I was doing pretty easily, but couldn't finish all the sets =/. I've recently stopped taking creatine, I've just gotten over being sick and I had a killer headache the whole time - I'm going to chalk it up to that. I've dropped something like five pounds in the last two weeks - and eight pounds the two weeks before that. UGH.

Also, I'm home for thanksgiving break... so I was at a local gym. Was asked twice if I'm playing for the new semi-pro hockey team in the area, so I guess to someone who doesn't know what they're doing, I appear to be moving a respectable amount of weight!

Gotta put that weight back on though. I am going to be huge.
FiWiFaKi
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Canada9859 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-23 05:23:48
November 23 2011 04:59 GMT
#13732
On November 23 2011 12:43 phyre112 wrote:
haven't been to the gym for the last two weeks; couldn't stop coughing for ten minutes at a given time, less if I was up and moving... so I figured I couldn't keep the tension in my body to lift safely. Went back and hit the weights I was doing pretty easily, but couldn't finish all the sets =/. I've recently stopped taking creatine, I've just gotten over being sick and I had a killer headache the whole time - I'm going to chalk it up to that. I've dropped something like five pounds in the last two weeks - and eight pounds the two weeks before that. UGH.

Also, I'm home for thanksgiving break... so I was at a local gym. Was asked twice if I'm playing for the new semi-pro hockey team in the area, so I guess to someone who doesn't know what they're doing, I appear to be moving a respectable amount of weight!

Gotta put that weight back on though. I am going to be huge.


That's the spirit. I'd stay away from creatine, your drops after working out are quite severe... Like you experienced. Creatine or no creatine, you'll reach the same point eventually.

Maybe I'll post a video for my pull-ups. The initial part is easy because and the finish to get as high as possible is rough due to the possibility of me doing a jerking motion for my back exercises. It's just natural to start doing that and use momentum to finish the end of your lift (gets higher numbers too), therefore that part of muscle may not be developing properly. Time to go back to the basics and make sure my form is good.

On November 23 2011 08:35 glurio wrote:
You should switch your routine up, the bro-split isn't very good. I used it too for a long time and got much better results with different splits. Try Upper/Lower with ABA on week 1 and BAB on week 2 or some advanced routine, look in the training thread stickie there should be a link. What helped me the most was training everything 2 times a week.

If you can curl that much it's definately not your biceps which lacks. Try bent over rows, seated cable rows, lat pulldowns, all heavy to get your lats up a bit. Don't forget your upper back, get it mad strong, looks good and helps with pullups.

I've never heard anyone having problems with negative pull-ups. It's basically what i always recommend people for learning their first pull up.


The reason I really like the "Bro-split" is it allows me to work out the next day. A SS strength cycle you really can't do more often once every 6 days. When I have the time I can comfortably do back + triceps if the day before I did chest + biceps. I can do this every 4 days. It really lets me what I want to achieve done.

I feel like everyone here is focusing on only lifting more, which I'm not saying is a bad thing, but a look of the bodies here don't impress me. That bulky often chubby thing isn't my thing, aesthetics are important to me. I feel like I've trained my body to the size I want it at, 170lb for 5'10" 17 year old who has very little body fat is a good number in my opinion. And the bro-workout is what a lot of my buddies at the gym do, and I like the way they look... Sometimes you have to ask yourself if you want to those 30" quads, or a power lifter stomach.

I'll look into your suggestion, but doing as much work on your lower body as your upper body seems a lot. Lots more to do on the upper.
In life, the journey is more satisfying than the destination. || .::Entrepreneurship::. Living a few years of your life like most people won't, so that you can spend the rest of your life like most people can't || Mechanical Engineering & Economics Major
GumThief
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada284 Posts
November 23 2011 05:43 GMT
#13733
On November 23 2011 13:59 FiWiFaKi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 23 2011 12:43 phyre112 wrote:
haven't been to the gym for the last two weeks; couldn't stop coughing for ten minutes at a given time, less if I was up and moving... so I figured I couldn't keep the tension in my body to lift safely. Went back and hit the weights I was doing pretty easily, but couldn't finish all the sets =/. I've recently stopped taking creatine, I've just gotten over being sick and I had a killer headache the whole time - I'm going to chalk it up to that. I've dropped something like five pounds in the last two weeks - and eight pounds the two weeks before that. UGH.

Also, I'm home for thanksgiving break... so I was at a local gym. Was asked twice if I'm playing for the new semi-pro hockey team in the area, so I guess to someone who doesn't know what they're doing, I appear to be moving a respectable amount of weight!

Gotta put that weight back on though. I am going to be huge.


That's the spirit. I'd stay away from creatine, your drops after working out are quite severe... Like you experienced. Creatine or no creatine, you'll reach the same point eventually.

Maybe I'll post a video for my pull-ups. The initial part is easy because and the finish to get as high as possible is rough due to the possibility of me doing a jerking motion for my back exercises. It's just natural to start doing that and use momentum to finish the end of your lift (gets higher numbers too), therefore that part of muscle may not be developing properly. Time to go back to the basics and make sure my form is good.

Show nested quote +
On November 23 2011 08:35 glurio wrote:
You should switch your routine up, the bro-split isn't very good. I used it too for a long time and got much better results with different splits. Try Upper/Lower with ABA on week 1 and BAB on week 2 or some advanced routine, look in the training thread stickie there should be a link. What helped me the most was training everything 2 times a week.

If you can curl that much it's definately not your biceps which lacks. Try bent over rows, seated cable rows, lat pulldowns, all heavy to get your lats up a bit. Don't forget your upper back, get it mad strong, looks good and helps with pullups.

I've never heard anyone having problems with negative pull-ups. It's basically what i always recommend people for learning their first pull up.


The reason I really like the "Bro-split" is it allows me to work out the next day. A SS strength cycle you really can't do more often once every 6 days. When I have the time I can comfortably do back + triceps if the day before I did chest + biceps. I can do this every 4 days. It really lets me what I want to achieve done.

I feel like everyone here is focusing on only lifting more, which I'm not saying is a bad thing, but a look of the bodies here don't impress me. That bulky often chubby thing isn't my thing, aesthetics are important to me. I feel like I've trained my body to the size I want it at, 170lb for 5'10" 17 year old who has very little body fat is a good number in my opinion. And the bro-workout is what a lot of my buddies at the gym do, and I like the way they look... Sometimes you have to ask yourself if you want to those 30" quads, or a power lifter stomach.

I'll look into your suggestion, but doing as much work on your lower body as your upper body seems a lot. Lots more to do on the upper.




I did split routine for about 6 months... Had decent results too, actually. Tried out SL5x5 and have never looked back. I guess it is just a matter of preference. Looking strong or being strong :p kidding...

What kind of back exercises are you jerking on? Obviously you can move more weight with that, but why would you? Say a seated row machine or lat pulldown.. If I pull 205 completely upright with good posture, and you pull 20 more with a jerking motion... Hmm, I can't really wrap my head around that one.


Oh, and what's a lifters stomach? I work out with a fellow who is about 6'1 210 pure muscle, bone and charisma.. Squats 375 too easily T__T

Mirin' my aesthetics ?
:))
FiWiFaKi
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Canada9859 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-23 06:32:17
November 23 2011 06:21 GMT
#13734
High weight squats deadlift will get you abs like these generally speaking:

[image loading]


These guys are strong no question, but then looking at bodybuilders you get abs like these:

[image loading]

Zyzz didn't do squats, it's a totally different regime. Eventually everyone has to look at, how much those higher numbers in the gym, and the convenience of being strong is. Because the average person wont know how much you lift at the gym or even care. And knowing you look good in peoples eyes may be more important to some people, it'd give me more confidence to me atleast, as opposed to eventually being able to deadlift 600lb or something.

It's very dependent on your goals and how your body reacts. I know I'm still a beginner at the gym, but I feel like I can make the right decisions in what training program I need because I feel like I understand it. Adding some high rep lifts with low rep ones. At first I did think this was the best place for weightlifting information, and it is an amazing source for sure. But there is a lot other stuff out there, from personal trainers, bodybuilding.com, successful lifters at your local gym. Just never assume something as a given just because you read it in a forum, especially not with something like weightlifting.

And sitting cable rows for example. If you put more of your body into it you can do a significantly higher weight because the end of the pull of bringing the cable right to your stomach is the toughest part. If you extend your legs a little bit, flick your back a little back you'll get a higher lift, even of those motions were very subtle.

I suppose it's because you want to progress, so you put a higher weight than the last week, and you want to do it, so you assist yourself that way a little bit it lets you reach the numbers you want to see. But then next week you want to do that number or higher again, so once again you'll cheat a little bit. It's a terrible habit, but I'm sure everyone here has lifted more than the should've, even though they realized it was impacting their technique. Amateur mistake on my part to do that, bad mentality I suppose. (Don't be under the assumption I swing my back like if I was starting a back-stroke swimming race haha.) ... But it makes a difference. More and more I realize just important it is to have the technique PERFECT before you start putting the weight up.
In life, the journey is more satisfying than the destination. || .::Entrepreneurship::. Living a few years of your life like most people won't, so that you can spend the rest of your life like most people can't || Mechanical Engineering & Economics Major
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
November 23 2011 06:33 GMT
#13735
On November 23 2011 15:21 FiWiFaKi wrote:
High weight squats deadlift will get you abs like these generally speaking:

[image loading]


These guys are strong no question, but then looking at bodybuilders you get abs like these:

[image loading]

Zyzz didn't do squats, it's a totally different regime. Eventually everyone has to look at, how much those higher numbers in the gym, and the convenience of being strong is. Because the average person wont know how much you lift at the gym or even care. And knowing you look good in peoples eyes may be more important to some people, it'd give me more confidence to me atleast, as opposed to eventually being able to deadlift 600lb or something.

It's very dependent on your goals and how your body reacts. I know I'm still a beginner at the gym, but I feel like I can make the right decisions in what training program I need because I feel like I understand it. Adding some high rep lifts with low rep ones. At first I did think this was the best place for weightlifting information, and it is an amazing source for sure. But there is a lot other stuff out there, from personal trainers, bodybuilding.com, successful lifters at your local gym. Just never assume something as a given just because you read it in a forum, especially not with something like weightlifting.


Those two bodies are just as much a function of lifestyle outside the gym, Amount and type of roids done, and diet as they are training program. I think just about any skinny guy starting out lifting would say looking like decaf would be amazing - and he deadlifts ~5 and a half plates. WOW. There are other things to consider here that are MUCH more impactful than doing five reps or ten reps.
FiWiFaKi
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Canada9859 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-23 06:38:44
November 23 2011 06:35 GMT
#13736
When trying to lift max on your lifts, doing P90X or some other diets that depend on cutting fat you will lose strength. You just hardly see any thin power lifters. But yes, Decaf has a very well built body, and I'd kill to be at where he is

Ex. Doing SS it is impossible to maintain a super low body fat. It's just how the program works, you wont be lean, you wont have a 6 pack when doing Starr 5x5 (or whatever it's called)... Higher reps are needed, although I agree there's more factors than how many reps you do.
In life, the journey is more satisfying than the destination. || .::Entrepreneurship::. Living a few years of your life like most people won't, so that you can spend the rest of your life like most people can't || Mechanical Engineering & Economics Major
DoubleZee
Profile Joined July 2010
Canada556 Posts
November 23 2011 06:44 GMT
#13737
So tonight I failed my bench on just the 2nd rep of the 2nd set. Went back down 5 pounds to my previous PR and failed that after 2 reps, had to finish 25 pounds below what I was aiming for. I thought it was because of the bug I've had the past few days. I was pissed...so I turn around and set a deadlift PR at the end of the workout...strange...then I got home and ate an entire fucking chicken..(cool story bro)
Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!
FFGenerations
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
7088 Posts
November 23 2011 07:11 GMT
#13738
ya bench can piss people off every so often haha
phyre!!!!111 you can do it :D try not to have any more time off, more than 2 weeks and shit drops off nasty :D
Cool BW Music Vid - youtube.com/watch?v=W54nlqJ-Nx8 ~~~~~ ᕤ OYSTERS ᕤ CLAMS ᕤ AND ᕤ CUCKOLDS ᕤ ~~~~~~ ༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ PUNCH HIM ༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ
sJarl
Profile Joined September 2010
Iceland1699 Posts
November 23 2011 09:03 GMT
#13739
about the powerlifter stomach thing: it's just a result of them being lazy fucks. I could post the pic of myself earlier in the thread (for a novice powerlifter) or just the insane transformation Dave Gulledge went through when he got injuried.

[image loading]

"Powerlifters are all fat" - lol
"Witness!" - Karsa Orlong
glurio
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany597 Posts
November 23 2011 09:19 GMT
#13740
On November 23 2011 15:35 FiWiFaKi wrote:
When trying to lift max on your lifts, doing P90X or some other diets that depend on cutting fat you will lose strength. You just hardly see any thin power lifters. But yes, Decaf has a very well built body, and I'd kill to be at where he is

Ex. Doing SS it is impossible to maintain a super low body fat. It's just how the program works, you wont be lean, you wont have a 6 pack when doing Starr 5x5 (or whatever it's called)... Higher reps are needed, although I agree there's more factors than how many reps you do.



Huge gut is often related to hgh, peptide and slin abuse (and in case of some powerlifters being lazy). Look at most of the top bodybuilders, all of them got a huge gut.

It's perfectly possible to do one of the advanced splits back to back. I trained ABxABxx with an upper/lower split for a while. In my opinion it's even better because you train everything two times a week. If you don't want huge legs look into http://plyo.tumblr.com/

And post some pictures of you, i'd like to see what a 170 10%bf guy looks.
Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right. - Henry Ford
Prev 1 685 686 687 688 689 730 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
22:00
King of the Hill #264
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 259
MaxPax 154
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 65621
Calm 3667
Shuttle 3170
FanTaSy 1600
Bisu 1574
EffOrt 529
Mini 451
Soma 413
Rush 340
Stork 327
[ Show more ]
Hyuk 274
firebathero 248
Light 222
Snow 179
ZerO 151
Last 144
Soulkey 136
actioN 115
Zeus 103
Barracks 100
Dewaltoss 74
Killer 72
hero 57
Mong 56
Pusan 50
Shinee 46
Hyun 43
Bale 33
ToSsGirL 33
Free 28
Shine 28
sorry 25
PianO 22
Aegong 20
Sharp 20
yabsab 16
zelot 16
HiyA 12
Sacsri 11
Icarus 6
Noble 6
Dota 2
Gorgc6777
Dendi847
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1353
kRYSTAL_209
Heroes of the Storm
Lowko490
Other Games
gofns42440
singsing2110
B2W.Neo687
hiko426
crisheroes299
byalli276
DeMusliM223
Livibee182
Hui .168
Liquid`VortiX104
Rex96
Mew2King92
ZerO(Twitch)9
Organizations
StarCraft 2
IntoTheiNu 1213
Other Games
BasetradeTV222
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 6
[ Show 9 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 26
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
OSC
8h 31m
Replay Cast
9h 16m
OSC
1d 9h
Big Brain Bouts
1d 20h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
[ Show More ]
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.