• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:01
CEST 04:01
KST 11:01
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War385.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War Bot on ladder Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Making an Online Broodwar Manager Game BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9402 users

TL Health and Fitness Initiative 2011 - Page 661

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 659 660 661 662 663 730 Next
Ludrik
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Australia523 Posts
October 31 2011 04:44 GMT
#13201
On October 31 2011 13:27 Orpheos wrote:
FUCK. went to a friends house to eat for dinner. Im on a semi paleo, meaning its paleo when I can make it but i just eat w/e when I am out with friends. She made couscous + some stew and some dinner rolls. and FUCK my stomach is KILLING me. SO BAD. Ive eaten rice and gotten some stomach aches since going on paleo but man is this bad. zzzz. and ive only been on semi paleo for like a month and a half.

That's the annoying thing about cutting out grains. You lose all tolerance you had for them before.
Only a fool would die laughing. I was a fool.
FiWiFaKi
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Canada9859 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-31 04:48:31
October 31 2011 04:47 GMT
#13202
Drinking kills workouts, like holy. I did not feel like doing anything today. Although I did a 545lb squat hold today, which felt extremely painful, and I have huge indents left on my back. Not to mention my back hurts. If alcohol is legal, ecstacy should be too. It isn't any worse for you and no hangover the next day.

So I ended up doing 7x5 squats
6x5 push press
And completed some leg curls and some other shoulder exercise half-way.
In life, the journey is more satisfying than the destination. || .::Entrepreneurship::. Living a few years of your life like most people won't, so that you can spend the rest of your life like most people can't || Mechanical Engineering & Economics Major
Raambo11
Profile Joined April 2011
United States828 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-31 05:18:52
October 31 2011 05:18 GMT
#13203
On October 31 2011 13:33 infinity21 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 31 2011 12:45 Raambo11 wrote:
Thats the thing... I've looked a lot and there arn't any gyms within a reasonable distance. I don't have the time to commute 1 hour each way to the gym...

Is there a place close by to where you work? Is it feasible for you to have a home gym?


I have been considering this, but the equipment seems really expensive on Amazon, not only the bar but especially the weight. Also the benches for BP seem quite expensive. ATM I am really motivated though so I might be willing to invest the money, any products/sites you would reccomend?

I work like 5 minutes away from where I live so doesn't help me to get closer to any gym's.
Dante08
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
Singapore4189 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-31 15:01:27
October 31 2011 05:35 GMT
#13204
What's a good diet for gaining muscle mass? One of my friends told me to eat 5-6 meals a day and it consists of food like chicken breast, beef, whole-grain bread, oatmeal and etc. Is that a good way to start?

And what is a good workout routine to do at the gym for the upper body? I've been going there for around 2 months but I don't really follow a strict system, just the usual bench press, dumbbell press, bicep curls etc (around 10 reps and 5-6 sets for each exercise) I've gotten used to the usual weights and I should be going heavier with less reps to build muscle right? Aiming to gain muscle mass and increase my weight to around 160pounds.

Thanks guys for the help
jjhchsc2
Profile Joined December 2010
Korea (South)2393 Posts
October 31 2011 08:45 GMT
#13205
@dante08
read the OP and Get starting strength!!!
and read these threads as well!
welcome to TLHF.


http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=261918
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=261928
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=262766

cut out the grains and bread if you can.
^.^
Lee Ssang/ Lee Shin/ Kim Jung Woo/ Kim Min Chul/Jun Tae Yang/Park Soo Ho/Lee Jung Hoon/Choi Sung Hoon/ Moon Sung Won/Park Ji Soo/ Lee Ho Joon/ Jang Min Chul/ Kim Seung Chul/SaSe/IdrA/Ret Fighting! BW4Life
jjhchsc2
Profile Joined December 2010
Korea (South)2393 Posts
October 31 2011 08:46 GMT
#13206
Can some check my form on my dips? 16.5kgs

Lee Ssang/ Lee Shin/ Kim Jung Woo/ Kim Min Chul/Jun Tae Yang/Park Soo Ho/Lee Jung Hoon/Choi Sung Hoon/ Moon Sung Won/Park Ji Soo/ Lee Ho Joon/ Jang Min Chul/ Kim Seung Chul/SaSe/IdrA/Ret Fighting! BW4Life
glurio
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany597 Posts
October 31 2011 09:30 GMT
#13207
Dante08 good diet for gaining muscle is eating a lot. 1g of protein per lbs.

jjhchsc2 video is private.
Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right. - Henry Ford
jjhchsc2
Profile Joined December 2010
Korea (South)2393 Posts
October 31 2011 10:43 GMT
#13208
oops
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxF43XQoot4
Lee Ssang/ Lee Shin/ Kim Jung Woo/ Kim Min Chul/Jun Tae Yang/Park Soo Ho/Lee Jung Hoon/Choi Sung Hoon/ Moon Sung Won/Park Ji Soo/ Lee Ho Joon/ Jang Min Chul/ Kim Seung Chul/SaSe/IdrA/Ret Fighting! BW4Life
emperorchampion
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada9496 Posts
October 31 2011 11:11 GMT
#13209
The video is private right now
TRUEESPORTS || your days as a respected member of team liquid are over
kaisr
Profile Joined October 2007
Canada715 Posts
October 31 2011 12:58 GMT
#13210
On October 31 2011 14:35 Dante08 wrote:
What's a good diet for gaining muscle mass? One of my friends told me to eat 5-6 meals a day and it consists of food like chicken breast, beef, whole-grain bread, oatmeal and etc. Is that a good way to start?

And what is a good workout routine to do at the gym for the upper body? I've been going there for around 2 months but I don't really follow a strict system, just the usual bench press, dumbbell press, bicep curls etc (around 10 reps and 5-6 sets for each exercise) I've gotten used to the usual weights and I should be going heavier with less reps to build muscle right? Aiming to gain muscle mass and increase my weight to around 160pounds. I'm 154 pounds and around 5'11.

Thanks guys for the help


well one of the worst mistakes you can make is only going to the gym for upper body. Squatting and deadlifting are probably two of the most important exercises for gaining muscle mass
emperorchampion
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada9496 Posts
October 31 2011 13:19 GMT
#13211
On October 31 2011 14:35 Dante08 wrote:
What's a good diet for gaining muscle mass? One of my friends told me to eat 5-6 meals a day and it consists of food like chicken breast, beef, whole-grain bread, oatmeal and etc. Is that a good way to start?

And what is a good workout routine to do at the gym for the upper body? I've been going there for around 2 months but I don't really follow a strict system, just the usual bench press, dumbbell press, bicep curls etc (around 10 reps and 5-6 sets for each exercise) I've gotten used to the usual weights and I should be going heavier with less reps to build muscle right? Aiming to gain muscle mass and increase my weight to around 160pounds. I'm 154 pounds and around 5'11.

Thanks guys for the help


Read and do Starting Strength.

Drink a gallon of whole milk every day. Eating 5-6 times a day isn't necessary, more or less all that matters is how much you eat.
TRUEESPORTS || your days as a respected member of team liquid are over
Dante08
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
Singapore4189 Posts
October 31 2011 14:11 GMT
#13212
On October 31 2011 21:58 kaisr wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 31 2011 14:35 Dante08 wrote:
What's a good diet for gaining muscle mass? One of my friends told me to eat 5-6 meals a day and it consists of food like chicken breast, beef, whole-grain bread, oatmeal and etc. Is that a good way to start?

And what is a good workout routine to do at the gym for the upper body? I've been going there for around 2 months but I don't really follow a strict system, just the usual bench press, dumbbell press, bicep curls etc (around 10 reps and 5-6 sets for each exercise) I've gotten used to the usual weights and I should be going heavier with less reps to build muscle right? Aiming to gain muscle mass and increase my weight to around 160pounds. I'm 154 pounds and around 5'11.

Thanks guys for the help


well one of the worst mistakes you can make is only going to the gym for upper body. Squatting and deadlifting are probably two of the most important exercises for gaining muscle mass


Thanks for the tip, I'll work on that as well
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
October 31 2011 14:42 GMT
#13213
On October 31 2011 14:35 Dante08 wrote:
What's a good diet for gaining muscle mass? One of my friends told me to eat 5-6 meals a day and it consists of food like chicken breast, beef, whole-grain bread, oatmeal and etc. Is that a good way to start?

And what is a good workout routine to do at the gym for the upper body? I've been going there for around 2 months but I don't really follow a strict system, just the usual bench press, dumbbell press, bicep curls etc (around 10 reps and 5-6 sets for each exercise) I've gotten used to the usual weights and I should be going heavier with less reps to build muscle right? Aiming to gain muscle mass and increase my weight to around 160pounds. I'm 154 pounds and around 5'11.

Thanks guys for the help


Read both the general training and general nutrition thread.

Most beginners, it's recommended that you follow a program like starting strength for a few months (full body, 3x/week, linear progression) and eat a paleo diet - slightly above maintenance if you want to gain weight, slightly below if you want to lose.
Mementoss
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Canada2595 Posts
October 31 2011 15:02 GMT
#13214
Hey Update on me doing StrongLifts 12 Weeks:

Starting Weight / Current Weight
Squats 95 5X5 / 205 5X5 +110 lbs
Bench 115 5X5 / 155 5X5 +40 lbs
Deadlift 135 1X5 / 275 1X5 +140 lbs
BentRows 65 5X5 / 140 5X5 +75 lbs
Press 65 5X5 / 105 5X5 +40 lbs

Body Weight: 143 / 157 + 14 lbs

Hit/exceeded all my goals except bench and overhead press. Overall very happy with the results. Will continue doing stronglifts 5X5 until I drop to 3X5 and 1X5 really enjoy the program. Will soon set new goals for myself for the next 12 weeks to motivate myself to hit them. Thanks for all the support so far TLH&F

Off-topic also won came first in my first tournament with my Mens team in curling! Had alot of fun went 6-1 and won $2500 beat a lot of the best teams around! Hope the rest of the season goes as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu96xMwFVXw
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
October 31 2011 15:28 GMT
#13215
Post up in success stories... we need more posts there
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
October 31 2011 15:42 GMT
#13216
On October 31 2011 14:18 Raambo11 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 31 2011 13:33 infinity21 wrote:
On October 31 2011 12:45 Raambo11 wrote:
Thats the thing... I've looked a lot and there arn't any gyms within a reasonable distance. I don't have the time to commute 1 hour each way to the gym...

Is there a place close by to where you work? Is it feasible for you to have a home gym?


I have been considering this, but the equipment seems really expensive on Amazon, not only the bar but especially the weight. Also the benches for BP seem quite expensive. ATM I am really motivated though so I might be willing to invest the money, any products/sites you would reccomend?

I work like 5 minutes away from where I live so doesn't help me to get closer to any gym's.

Try sites like kijiji and craigslist to see if you can buy second-hand.
Official Entusman #21
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
October 31 2011 16:29 GMT
#13217
On October 31 2011 13:47 FiWiFaKi wrote:
Drinking kills workouts, like holy. I did not feel like doing anything today. Although I did a 545lb squat hold today, which felt extremely painful, and I have huge indents left on my back. Not to mention my back hurts. If alcohol is legal, ecstacy should be too. It isn't any worse for you and no hangover the next day.

So I ended up doing 7x5 squats
6x5 push press
And completed some leg curls and some other shoulder exercise half-way.

i went to work out on sunday with a huge hang over, I drank from 2 PM Sat. until 6 AM Sun, with 5 hours of sleep.

a nice work out made my headache go away and i was so glad that i went
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
beberly
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States117 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-31 18:11:09
October 31 2011 17:57 GMT
#13218
So I've started doing SS and I've been hitting my lifts each workout without too much drama. Granted I started out as a total weakling:

Squat: 80 lbs
Bench: 80 lbs
DL: 75 lbs (after my first workout, every increase has felt insanely easy, so I think it was either piss-poor form or just being fat and lazy and tired the first time...I'll just keep increasing 10 lbs each time....eventually I'll hit that wall)
OHP: 55 lbs
Power Clean: still just the bar (granted I've only done this workout twice) since I'm trying to get the form correct...I'm missing a lot of flexibility in my arms/wrists, so racking the bar properly is difficult

My question relates to nutrition. I'm a fairly heavy guy (5'11", 235 lbs), so weight loss is my goal. Strength gains are all well and good, but I'm primarily interested in shedding fat. I've been eating about 2000 net kCal/day...that means on off days I consume between 1900-2200 kCals (depending on activity levels throughout the day, like whether I walk to/from stores or restaurants or go for a run), and workout days about 2600 kCals. This is significantly lower than the recommended intake posted frequently of 3000+ kCal/day for doing SS. However, most folks are underweight and using SS to gain mass (both muscle and fat, because they're underweight the fat isn't as large an issue)...I'd like to gain muscle mass, of course, but I'd like to do it without the associated gain of fat.

Since I'm already fairly overweight (at least 40 lbs), will the difference between my intake and the recommended intake in SS be made up by my body's fat stores, such that eating like I do I'll continue to make decent strength/muscle gains until the excess fat is mostly gone? Or is caloric intake contemporaneous to lifting necessary to realize such gains? Or does my question make no sense at all (HIGHLY LIKELY)? Thanks for your help....you guys are a huge motivation and great source of knowledge!
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
October 31 2011 18:21 GMT
#13219
On November 01 2011 02:57 beberly wrote:
So I've started doing SS and I've been hitting my lifts each workout without too much drama. Granted I started out as a total weakling:

Squat: 80 lbs
Bench: 80 lbs
DL: 75 lbs (after my first workout, every increase has felt insanely easy, so I think it was either piss-poor form or just being fat and lazy and tired the first time...I'll just keep increasing 10 lbs each time....eventually I'll hit that wall)
OHP: 55 lbs
Power Clean: still just the bar (granted I've only done this workout twice) since I'm trying to get the form correct...I'm missing a lot of flexibility in my arms/wrists, so racking the bar properly is difficult

My question relates to nutrition. I'm a fairly heavy guy (5'11", 235 lbs), so weight loss is my goal. Strength gains are all well and good, but I'm primarily interested in shedding fat. I've been eating about 2000 net kCal/day...that means on off days I consume between 1900-2200 kCals (depending on activity levels throughout the day, like whether I walk to/from stores or restaurants or go for a run), and workout days about 2600 kCals. This is significantly lower than the recommended intake posted frequently of 3000+ kCal/day for doing SS. However, most folks are underweight and using SS to gain mass (both muscle and fat, because they're underweight the fat isn't as large an issue)...I'd like to gain muscle mass, of course, but I'd like to do it without the associated gain of fat.

Since I'm already fairly overweight (at least 40 lbs), will the difference between my intake and the recommended intake in SS be made up by my body's fat stores, such that eating like I do I'll continue to make decent strength/muscle gains until the excess fat is mostly gone? Or is caloric intake contemporaneous to lifting necessary to realize such gains? Or does my question make no sense at all (HIGHLY LIKELY)? Thanks for your help....you guys are a huge motivation and great source of knowledge!


For a while, yes your body will make up the excess with energy that it has stored, provided that you are getting enough protein in as well. The 3500-4000 calorie recommendations are instead for people like me - I started SS at 6'4 145 pounds, and I'm now (still underweight imo) 6'4 185. I need to make a conscious effort to stuff myself if I want to put on weight.

As you lean out, your body holds on to fat stores "more tightly" so you will begin to sacrifice progress if you don't eat at a caloric surplus. At that time, it's probably a good idea to look into a traditional bulk/cut approach, or something like leangains... but at 5'11 with plenty to lose, you don't need to worry about that yet.
FFGenerations
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
7088 Posts
October 31 2011 19:38 GMT
#13220
have the affects of cannibis on recovery/growth been studied? ie if you're high all the time do you have shittier growth when doing something like SS?
Cool BW Music Vid - youtube.com/watch?v=W54nlqJ-Nx8 ~~~~~ ᕤ OYSTERS ᕤ CLAMS ᕤ AND ᕤ CUCKOLDS ᕤ ~~~~~~ ༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ PUNCH HIM ༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ
Prev 1 659 660 661 662 663 730 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
08:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
CranKy Ducklings112
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiLiPiLi 19
RuFF_SC2 12
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 1373
Sharp 58
Bale 38
Dota 2
monkeys_forever565
NeuroSwarm193
League of Legends
Doublelift4761
Counter-Strike
taco 630
Other Games
summit1g7512
JimRising 530
C9.Mang0289
ViBE155
ToD82
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick770
BasetradeTV177
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 115
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP88
• poizon28 38
• davetesta27
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Scarra1158
Upcoming Events
Big Brain Bouts
7h 59m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
Online Event
9h 59m
AI Arena Tournament
14h 59m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
16h 59m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 7h
Patches Events
1d 12h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 16h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 16h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.