• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:41
CEST 06:41
KST 13:41
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon101Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool The Death of Cheese: From a Professional Cheeser
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach Bot on ladder an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ StarCraft Human 'N' AI League
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11229 users

Off-Topic General Discussion - Page 1378

Forum Index > The Shopkeeper′s Inn
Post a Reply
Prev 1 1376 1377 1378 1379 1380 5162 Next
AsmodeusXI
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States15536 Posts
March 10 2014 15:38 GMT
#27541
On March 11 2014 00:30 Shelke14 wrote:
Man I would own in DnD.


That depends on the DM and how intent they are in humbling you.
WriterTL > RL. BNet: Asmodeus#1187 - LoL: DJForeclosure - Steam: asmodeusxi | www.n3rddimension.com
jcarlsoniv
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States27922 Posts
March 10 2014 15:39 GMT
#27542
On March 11 2014 00:38 AsmodeusXI wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 11 2014 00:30 Shelke14 wrote:
Man I would own in DnD.


That depends on the DM and how intent they are in humbling you.


I was very lenient with my party last night in regards to healing. I wanted them to be able to get up and fight, so I accelerated and peace-mealed resting heals liberally.
Soniv ||| Soniv#1962 ||| @jcarlsoniv ||| The Big Golem ||| Join the Glorious Evolution. What's your favorite aminal, a bear? ||| Joe "Don't call me Daniel" "Soniv" "Daniel" Carlsberg LXIX ||| Paging Dr. John Shadow
AsmodeusXI
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States15536 Posts
March 10 2014 16:01 GMT
#27543
On March 11 2014 00:39 jcarlsoniv wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 11 2014 00:38 AsmodeusXI wrote:
On March 11 2014 00:30 Shelke14 wrote:
Man I would own in DnD.


That depends on the DM and how intent they are in humbling you.


I was very lenient with my party last night in regards to healing. I wanted them to be able to get up and fight, so I accelerated and peace-mealed resting heals liberally.


Hardest thing for me as a GM right now is the idea of killing characters. I REALLY want to throw a nasty challenge at my players, but it's gonna hurt when they lose characters.

Especially because in this case their "fighting characters" are Pokemon with whom they have incredibly genuine bonds. If I take one down it's going to be rough.
WriterTL > RL. BNet: Asmodeus#1187 - LoL: DJForeclosure - Steam: asmodeusxi | www.n3rddimension.com
wei2coolman
Profile Joined November 2010
United States60033 Posts
March 10 2014 16:04 GMT
#27544
On March 11 2014 00:30 Shelke14 wrote:
Man I would own in DnD.

inb4 DM makes you roll reflex check every rotation.
liftlift > tsm
Shelke14
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada6655 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-03-10 16:09:32
March 10 2014 16:08 GMT
#27545
I'd just roll natural 20's. Get on my level. DnD "The Rock" over here.

Edit: happy Monday. Lots of love. Took an extra work load, gotta do costco every morning before I drive out now. Until they find someone.
Requizen
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States33802 Posts
March 10 2014 16:08 GMT
#27546
On March 11 2014 01:01 AsmodeusXI wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 11 2014 00:39 jcarlsoniv wrote:
On March 11 2014 00:38 AsmodeusXI wrote:
On March 11 2014 00:30 Shelke14 wrote:
Man I would own in DnD.


That depends on the DM and how intent they are in humbling you.


I was very lenient with my party last night in regards to healing. I wanted them to be able to get up and fight, so I accelerated and peace-mealed resting heals liberally.


Hardest thing for me as a GM right now is the idea of killing characters. I REALLY want to throw a nasty challenge at my players, but it's gonna hurt when they lose characters.

Especially because in this case their "fighting characters" are Pokemon with whom they have incredibly genuine bonds. If I take one down it's going to be rough.

What system are you running for this game? What are the death rules, is it D&Desque where it's -100% before death?

But yeah, death is difficult in any system. No one wants their character to die, but if the threat isn't there, then the game doesn't feel like a challenge. And honestly, it sounds kinda rough, but if you don't show the willingness to kill off a character then they might not take the traps or enemies seriously.

But Soniv I think you're fine being lenient early on, especially for new players. It's incredibly frustrating to die without entirely understanding why or what you could have done better.
It's your boy Guzma!
AsmodeusXI
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States15536 Posts
March 10 2014 16:15 GMT
#27547
On March 11 2014 01:08 Requizen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 11 2014 01:01 AsmodeusXI wrote:
On March 11 2014 00:39 jcarlsoniv wrote:
On March 11 2014 00:38 AsmodeusXI wrote:
On March 11 2014 00:30 Shelke14 wrote:
Man I would own in DnD.


That depends on the DM and how intent they are in humbling you.


I was very lenient with my party last night in regards to healing. I wanted them to be able to get up and fight, so I accelerated and peace-mealed resting heals liberally.


Hardest thing for me as a GM right now is the idea of killing characters. I REALLY want to throw a nasty challenge at my players, but it's gonna hurt when they lose characters.

Especially because in this case their "fighting characters" are Pokemon with whom they have incredibly genuine bonds. If I take one down it's going to be rough.

What system are you running for this game? What are the death rules, is it D&Desque where it's -100% before death?

But yeah, death is difficult in any system. No one wants their character to die, but if the threat isn't there, then the game doesn't feel like a challenge. And honestly, it sounds kinda rough, but if you don't show the willingness to kill off a character then they might not take the traps or enemies seriously.

But Soniv I think you're fine being lenient early on, especially for new players. It's incredibly frustrating to die without entirely understanding why or what you could have done better.


Our system is a homebrew overall. Someday I'll post our wiki link in here, but the rules aren't up-to-date there atm. The positioning is on a hex-grid, however, and the death rules are FFT style: if you can return a 0 HP Pokemon in 3 turns it dies. It's a very forgiving mechanic since all you need to "return" is line of sight from Trainer to Pokemon and, frankly, none of us want dead Pokes. That just means that the difficulty needs to be NUTS to be a threat. Which I'm fine with except I'm not sure where the line between "Kill one if they don't play safe" and "Kill them all without thought" is.
WriterTL > RL. BNet: Asmodeus#1187 - LoL: DJForeclosure - Steam: asmodeusxi | www.n3rddimension.com
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
March 10 2014 16:18 GMT
#27548
Thematically death seems hard to implement in a Pokemon-themed roleplay without it being awkward.
Moderator
Alaric
Profile Joined November 2009
France45622 Posts
March 10 2014 16:26 GMT
#27549
Make them play a Nuzlocke run before starting your campaign, they'll get the gist of it and maybe they'll even enjoy it that muc more (seeing how most people seem to say the nickname+threat of death combo makes them that much more involved). o/
Cant take LMS hipsters serious.
Requizen
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States33802 Posts
March 10 2014 16:26 GMT
#27550
On March 11 2014 01:18 TheYango wrote:
Thematically death seems hard to implement in a Pokemon-themed roleplay without it being awkward.

The way our system works (PTA, and I think PTU works similarly too), is that friendly Pokemon battles/League or Gym battles can never result in death (Pokemon hold back since it's just competition), but in outside battles or non-friendly matches, if you go to -200% of your health or -50 HP (whichever is lower), you make a death saving roll and if the pokemon fails, it dies.

It requires a lot of damage and focus to get to that point, but it's a very realistic threat against some enemies. We disabled it in the first few levels (since low level Pokemon is pretty brutal), but it has come up once or twice even in our fairly noob-friendly game.
It's your boy Guzma!
AsmodeusXI
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States15536 Posts
March 10 2014 16:30 GMT
#27551
On March 11 2014 01:26 Alaric wrote:
Make them play a Nuzlocke run before starting your campaign, they'll get the gist of it and maybe they'll even enjoy it that muc more (seeing how most people seem to say the nickname+threat of death combo makes them that much more involved). o/


Most of them have and everyone theoretically understands the threat, but it's going to be harsh when it actually happens. We've all lucked out enough (or been coddled, even in my case) that it's going to blindside people when it goes down.

For example, we didn't have a stable death mechanic in place when one of my Pokemon (when I wasn't GMing) was put in death threat. I did the douche thing as a player and basically argue/pitied my way out of it, but we decided then to REALLY solidify the rules so we couldn't do that in the future.
WriterTL > RL. BNet: Asmodeus#1187 - LoL: DJForeclosure - Steam: asmodeusxi | www.n3rddimension.com
jcarlsoniv
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States27922 Posts
March 10 2014 16:45 GMT
#27552
On March 11 2014 01:08 Requizen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 11 2014 01:01 AsmodeusXI wrote:
On March 11 2014 00:39 jcarlsoniv wrote:
On March 11 2014 00:38 AsmodeusXI wrote:
On March 11 2014 00:30 Shelke14 wrote:
Man I would own in DnD.


That depends on the DM and how intent they are in humbling you.


I was very lenient with my party last night in regards to healing. I wanted them to be able to get up and fight, so I accelerated and peace-mealed resting heals liberally.


Hardest thing for me as a GM right now is the idea of killing characters. I REALLY want to throw a nasty challenge at my players, but it's gonna hurt when they lose characters.

Especially because in this case their "fighting characters" are Pokemon with whom they have incredibly genuine bonds. If I take one down it's going to be rough.


But Soniv I think you're fine being lenient early on, especially for new players. It's incredibly frustrating to die without entirely understanding why or what you could have done better.


Yeah, I'll become more stringent eventually. I have no problems killing off a character, I just want everyone to have the knowledge of how shit works before I start setting things up to be dangerous.
Soniv ||| Soniv#1962 ||| @jcarlsoniv ||| The Big Golem ||| Join the Glorious Evolution. What's your favorite aminal, a bear? ||| Joe "Don't call me Daniel" "Soniv" "Daniel" Carlsberg LXIX ||| Paging Dr. John Shadow
kainzero
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States5211 Posts
March 10 2014 17:05 GMT
#27553
On March 11 2014 01:18 TheYango wrote:
Thematically death seems hard to implement in a Pokemon-themed roleplay without it being awkward.

Have the Pokemon cry

Ash comes back to life
Frudgey
Profile Joined September 2012
Canada3367 Posts
March 10 2014 17:23 GMT
#27554
On March 11 2014 02:05 kainzero wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 11 2014 01:18 TheYango wrote:
Thematically death seems hard to implement in a Pokemon-themed roleplay without it being awkward.

Have the Pokemon cry

Ash comes back to life

I was happy to forget that you know. Why did you bring that up?
It is better to die for The Emperor than live for yourself.
Requizen
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States33802 Posts
March 10 2014 17:33 GMT
#27555
WHAT THE FUCK

It's your boy Guzma!
Alaric
Profile Joined November 2009
France45622 Posts
March 10 2014 17:40 GMT
#27556
Eh, easy one. If you look at the "HS funny moments" youtube series, there's one titled "turn 3 fatigue" or something like that. Priest forgets he has 2 northshire clerics in play and proceeds to suicide his whole deck, with half of it simply being destroyed at soon at it reaches his (full) hand. The guy's laughing his ass off all the way once he realises his mistake.
Cant take LMS hipsters serious.
Requizen
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States33802 Posts
March 10 2014 17:48 GMT
#27557
I think one of the best parts about working at home is being able to take lunch on your couch in front of the TV.
It's your boy Guzma!
NeoIllusions
Profile Blog Joined December 2002
United States37500 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-03-10 18:25:06
March 10 2014 18:09 GMT
#27558
I haven't played D&D before but my board game night friends and I opened Arkham Horror last weekend and that game takes longer than anything else we've ever played. Granted we did a lot of rule checking as we played the first time but 2 games took about 11 hours. gg
ModeratorFor the Glory that is TeamLiquid (-9 | 155) | Discord: NeoIllusions#1984
Tooplark
Profile Joined October 2008
United States3977 Posts
March 10 2014 18:19 GMT
#27559
Oh Neo you should try building a Punitive Counterstrike jinteki. It's pretty hilarious, esp. with baby. They hit the baby, score it taking 3, and get pewpew'd.
WHAT POW'R ART THOU WHO FROM BELOW HAST MADE ME RISE UNWILLINGLY AND SLOW
NeoIllusions
Profile Blog Joined December 2002
United States37500 Posts
March 10 2014 18:21 GMT
#27560
On March 11 2014 03:19 Tooplark wrote:
Oh Neo you should try building a Punitive Counterstrike jinteki. It's pretty hilarious, esp. with baby. They hit the baby, score it taking 3, and get pewpew'd.

<3 Jinteki.

Unfortunately I haven't been keeping up with Netrunner in over a year. I think it's a great game but it's 2 players, so rather limiting and I've just moved on from the game. Link me a deck that you're talking about?
ModeratorFor the Glory that is TeamLiquid (-9 | 155) | Discord: NeoIllusions#1984
Prev 1 1376 1377 1378 1379 1380 5162 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
00:00
2026 GSTL: Grand Finals
CranKy Ducklings130
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
23:00
OSC Masters Cup #151 Qualifier
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 188
NeuroSwarm 176
StarCraft: Brood War
BeSt 177
hero 111
sorry 47
Mind 29
Bale 20
Terrorterran 18
ZergMaN 12
Icarus 5
Dota 2
monkeys_forever939
League of Legends
JimRising 717
Counter-Strike
taco 442
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King144
Other Games
summit1g9903
Maynarde201
ArmadaUGS49
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick514
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 7
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH242
• Hupsaiya 131
• practicex 38
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota289
League of Legends
• Rush1268
• Stunt270
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
5h 19m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
6h 19m
Monday Night Weeklies
11h 19m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 5h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 5h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 19h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.