• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:19
CEST 16:19
KST 23:19
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War125.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202620Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November] ASL22 General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9351 users

[GSL] Blizzard Cup Group B - Page 291

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Tournaments
Post a Reply
Prev 1 289 290 291 292 293 294 Next
Can't go to lunch without coming back to 20+ reports. This makes me upset. Stop the bullshit or get ready to hammered. Thanks --Pholon
Jampackedeon
Profile Joined November 2010
United States2053 Posts
December 13 2011 19:52 GMT
#5801
On December 14 2011 03:37 regiment wrote:
I strongly disagree with people bashing Naniwa for this.

I as a viewer don't want to watch meaningless games. I mean, even if my favourite player wins and it's a good match, I always have the feeling that the opponent doesn't play serious (well, why should he?). Naniwa just made it obvious and gets hated so much for it?

I don't know how things like this are handled in elsewhere, but in soccer you can often see a team that has to play a meaningless match to bring their reserve team. This is equal to not giving a fuck about weither that game is lost or not. And it still is professional. Naniwa doesn't have this option, so he cheeses (even though he knows it's unwinnable).

I sadly didn't see the game, but keep in mind that Naniwa could've just left instantly. Probe rushing was maybe actually done for the viewers and I read that a lot of people were amused by it.

I have to agree with IdrA here: 'dont have meaningless matches if you want players to take them seriously.'

And to what I read about the reactions: I can't believe what people wrote here and there. Choya for example or Nazgul... I don't think they were very respectful themselves. And that sugar-coats it strongly.

At last, to all those 'this was disrespectful to those who stayed up to watch these games'-guys: I stayed up the whole weekend to watch these really, really dissapointing WCG-Finals. Still, I don't think Mvp should have played worse to make these matches interesting for the viewers. Do you? No? Then live with the fact that you can't expect good games just because you watch them.


I agree with Idra, the format is to blame not the player. Naniwa was being honest when he said there was no point in him playing a game where he wouldn't be trying. I'd rather he slap the tournament in the face with some of the reality of how they chose to have meaningless games than some stupid cheesy 4-gate all in. Cheese is cheese, whether proxy gates or probe rush, and either way I (as a viewer) get very little out of them.

Every other match was great, so I can't really complain about the actual games... just that they weren't best of 3's and that there was no change in prize money from 7th to 10th place to force players to try harder. Silly decision in my opinion when the total prize pool is so damn large.
ffadicted
Profile Joined January 2011
United States3545 Posts
December 13 2011 19:54 GMT
#5802
Happy to see Polt regaining some form. Really wish nani had advanced, he had his first and second games in the bag, and third game was just a dice roll. Tough luck.
SooYoung-Noona!
darkest44
Profile Joined December 2010
United States1009 Posts
December 13 2011 19:54 GMT
#5803
On December 13 2011 23:40 arChieSC2 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 13 2011 23:16 darkest44 wrote:
On December 13 2011 23:05 arChieSC2 wrote:
i still dont get why they keep doing bo1 groupstages


Idk maybe because with bo1 today's cast lasted 5 hours and if it was bo3 group stage then it woulda been 10-15 hours which gom never does and would be quite painful for the players and casters..? They wanted to do group play because this is supposed to be the best players of 2011 and it's nice to see them all play each other to see who is the most well rounded rather than just a standard bracket where you only need to beat 3 people to win the whole tournament with a player pool this small, not to mention it wouldn't work with 10 players, you'd need 8 or 16.

Sure bo3 woulda been ideal but it's just a short tournament to end the year and you can't have it all, appreciate what you get.


did you know if you use double or triple the time u dont have to make it all in 1 day? just telling..
I can agree its short time, and they wanted to show the best players in 2011 to show their skill but as i said... in bo1 u can even lose to a 6pool.. i just see it bad in terms of competition and bad in terms of show


People are already being retarded complaining about "thrown matches" or having no incentive to win after you're out or secured etc, can you imagine how much more they would if there was days between matches in the group play where players might theoretically have time to make deals with each other to throw games that benefit another player (at least in the mind of the TL conspiracy theorists)? There'd be even more whining.
Swede
Profile Joined June 2010
New Zealand853 Posts
December 13 2011 19:57 GMT
#5804
On December 14 2011 04:52 Jampackedeon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 14 2011 03:37 regiment wrote:
I strongly disagree with people bashing Naniwa for this.

I as a viewer don't want to watch meaningless games. I mean, even if my favourite player wins and it's a good match, I always have the feeling that the opponent doesn't play serious (well, why should he?). Naniwa just made it obvious and gets hated so much for it?

I don't know how things like this are handled in elsewhere, but in soccer you can often see a team that has to play a meaningless match to bring their reserve team. This is equal to not giving a fuck about weither that game is lost or not. And it still is professional. Naniwa doesn't have this option, so he cheeses (even though he knows it's unwinnable).

I sadly didn't see the game, but keep in mind that Naniwa could've just left instantly. Probe rushing was maybe actually done for the viewers and I read that a lot of people were amused by it.

I have to agree with IdrA here: 'dont have meaningless matches if you want players to take them seriously.'

And to what I read about the reactions: I can't believe what people wrote here and there. Choya for example or Nazgul... I don't think they were very respectful themselves. And that sugar-coats it strongly.

At last, to all those 'this was disrespectful to those who stayed up to watch these games'-guys: I stayed up the whole weekend to watch these really, really dissapointing WCG-Finals. Still, I don't think Mvp should have played worse to make these matches interesting for the viewers. Do you? No? Then live with the fact that you can't expect good games just because you watch them.


I agree with Idra, the format is to blame not the player. Naniwa was being honest when he said there was no point in him playing a game where he wouldn't be trying. I'd rather he slap the tournament in the face with some of the reality of how they chose to have meaningless games than some stupid cheesy 4-gate all in. Cheese is cheese, whether proxy gates or probe rush, and either way I (as a viewer) get very little out of them.

Every other match was great, so I can't really complain about the actual games... just that they weren't best of 3's and that there was no change in prize money from 7th to 10th place to force players to try harder. Silly decision in my opinion when the total prize pool is so damn large.


Maybe the game was meaningless and the format is bad, but Naniwa was still incredibly short sighted in doing what he did. It makes him look bad to tournament organisers, sponsors and a large portion of the fans. Naniwa may not care about what the fans think, but he has to care about tournament organisers and sponsors think if he ever wants to get anywhere. They're the ones which give him the ability to prove himself as a player.

He probably won't get screwed over by this one particular incident. But if he keeps it up he will. Quantic don't want their name on a player who throws games in a tournament setting, regardless of how meaningless they are.
Polox
Profile Joined May 2011
Sweden115 Posts
December 13 2011 19:58 GMT
#5805
On December 14 2011 04:47 GreyKnight wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 14 2011 04:45 fourColo wrote:
Naniwa owns, sorry. He played an amazing game vs Leenock, didn't win but I've never seen such good ff+storms. Also created like a dozen threads full of drama. MMA can't do that. Nestea can't do that. Only Naniwa.


im sure if MMA or nestea acted like naniwa did there would be huge drama.


And I'm sure there woulden't be.
Polox
Profile Joined May 2011
Sweden115 Posts
December 13 2011 20:00 GMT
#5806
On December 14 2011 04:57 Swede wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 14 2011 04:52 Jampackedeon wrote:
On December 14 2011 03:37 regiment wrote:
I strongly disagree with people bashing Naniwa for this.

I as a viewer don't want to watch meaningless games. I mean, even if my favourite player wins and it's a good match, I always have the feeling that the opponent doesn't play serious (well, why should he?). Naniwa just made it obvious and gets hated so much for it?

I don't know how things like this are handled in elsewhere, but in soccer you can often see a team that has to play a meaningless match to bring their reserve team. This is equal to not giving a fuck about weither that game is lost or not. And it still is professional. Naniwa doesn't have this option, so he cheeses (even though he knows it's unwinnable).

I sadly didn't see the game, but keep in mind that Naniwa could've just left instantly. Probe rushing was maybe actually done for the viewers and I read that a lot of people were amused by it.

I have to agree with IdrA here: 'dont have meaningless matches if you want players to take them seriously.'

And to what I read about the reactions: I can't believe what people wrote here and there. Choya for example or Nazgul... I don't think they were very respectful themselves. And that sugar-coats it strongly.

At last, to all those 'this was disrespectful to those who stayed up to watch these games'-guys: I stayed up the whole weekend to watch these really, really dissapointing WCG-Finals. Still, I don't think Mvp should have played worse to make these matches interesting for the viewers. Do you? No? Then live with the fact that you can't expect good games just because you watch them.


I agree with Idra, the format is to blame not the player. Naniwa was being honest when he said there was no point in him playing a game where he wouldn't be trying. I'd rather he slap the tournament in the face with some of the reality of how they chose to have meaningless games than some stupid cheesy 4-gate all in. Cheese is cheese, whether proxy gates or probe rush, and either way I (as a viewer) get very little out of them.

Every other match was great, so I can't really complain about the actual games... just that they weren't best of 3's and that there was no change in prize money from 7th to 10th place to force players to try harder. Silly decision in my opinion when the total prize pool is so damn large.



He probably won't get screwed over by this one particular incident. But if he keeps it up he will. Quantic don't want their name on a player who throws games in a tournament setting, regardless of how meaningless they are.


Just like EG "PROBABLY" don't want Idra?
GreyKnight
Profile Joined August 2010
United States4720 Posts
December 13 2011 20:01 GMT
#5807
On December 14 2011 04:58 Polox wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 14 2011 04:47 GreyKnight wrote:
On December 14 2011 04:45 fourColo wrote:
Naniwa owns, sorry. He played an amazing game vs Leenock, didn't win but I've never seen such good ff+storms. Also created like a dozen threads full of drama. MMA can't do that. Nestea can't do that. Only Naniwa.


im sure if MMA or nestea acted like naniwa did there would be huge drama.


And I'm sure there woulden't be.


heh okay. if you believe this then you're delusional
Toez
Profile Joined June 2011
France167 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-13 20:04:13
December 13 2011 20:03 GMT
#5808
On December 13 2011 23:15 MorroW wrote:
because both were out of the tournament the game didnt matter. why do they even have the game in the first place?
its kinda silly because both players have no reason to fight their hardest or show potential secret builds

he probably wasnt allowed to give walkover so he just did whatever ended the game the quickest

do you guys really wanna watch 2 guys play a casual game during GSL blizzard cup where neither of them cares about winning?

im not saying what naniwa did was right or wrong, or manner or bad manner. im just saying i think the system should allow for walkovers if they players request it if the game has no meaning

The game may didn't matter for the tournament but the recent rivalry between both sure matters, why didn't he play seriously after all that "trashtalk".
like a baws
dLKnighT
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada735 Posts
December 13 2011 20:06 GMT
#5809
So NaNiwa has some spunk and moxy, its what makes him loveable to some people, including myself.
Zalithian
Profile Joined June 2011
520 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-13 20:10:02
December 13 2011 20:08 GMT
#5810
On December 14 2011 05:06 ChroMaTe_ wrote:
So NaNiwa has some spunk and moxy, its what makes him loveable to some people, including myself.


Why do people confuse being selfish and disrespectful with good qualities, exactly? What Naniwa did last night is the exact opposite of spunky, btw.
AzureD
Profile Joined September 2010
United States320 Posts
December 13 2011 20:10 GMT
#5811
I am just wondering. No matter what Naniwa did do you really think it would not have been a shit game regardless? I guess he could have done a 2 gate proxy or a 4 gate to save some face. But it would have still been a shit game.

If there was even a slight reason to play this game like for slightly more prize money or some points to determine ranking somewhere then I think he would not have played like that.

Although as a competitor it was kinda shitty to put 0 effort at all. At least put a tiny bit of effort into it.
MasterKang
Profile Joined August 2011
United States1373 Posts
December 13 2011 20:22 GMT
#5812
Omg MMA playing like a God. I literally jizz my pants at how good his decisions/macro/micro all are
Players: MMA, Boxer, Ryung, Life, TaeJa, Squirtle, Brown, Dark,
Yoshi Kirishima
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States10383 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-13 20:41:51
December 13 2011 20:35 GMT
#5813
Wow, so many recommended games! (even though there's not many votes? why is that o.o)

Also, yay Naniwa didn't make it ^^ I like him but I like the other guys more.

Also, yay TvT! Polt vs MVP then vs MMA! epic :D

Poor Nestea though

Mid-master streaming MECH ONLY + commentary www.twitch.tv/yoshikirishima +++ "If all-in fails, all-in again."
palookieblue
Profile Joined September 2010
Australia326 Posts
December 13 2011 20:36 GMT
#5814
On December 14 2011 04:48 fourColo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 14 2011 04:47 GreyKnight wrote:
On December 14 2011 04:45 fourColo wrote:
Naniwa owns, sorry. He played an amazing game vs Leenock, didn't win but I've never seen such good ff+storms. Also created like a dozen threads full of drama. MMA can't do that. Nestea can't do that. Only Naniwa.


im sure if MMA or nestea acted like naniwa did there would be huge drama.

But they didn't and probably never will.

You're right there. They wouldn't because it's rude and disrespectful.
Also because they're not blatant attention seekers that can't think beyond themselves. Apparently some of the men forgot to grow up and are still babies on the inside.
oyoyo
ElephantBaby
Profile Joined November 2011
United States1365 Posts
December 13 2011 20:39 GMT
#5815
Euro/American kids nowadays need spanking.
Clank
Profile Joined April 2011
United States548 Posts
December 13 2011 20:39 GMT
#5816
On December 14 2011 05:06 ChroMaTe_ wrote:
So NaNiwa has some spunk and moxy, its what makes him loveable to some people, including myself.

throwing a game isn't spunk, its just being an immature ass. And the way he threw it was pretty much just a straight up forfeit. That was one of the most disrespectful and unprofessional things to do. You don't see professional sports team that are out of the playoff race just forfeiting and not trying, even when losing would actually help them out. They have pride, so they go out and play the game and try to win. If naniwa didn't try as hard in this game as usual, then thats fine, just his choice, but to give up like this is ridiculous. He definitely needs to be fined by quantic for this, and maybe even a ban from the GSL next season.
Mylkyjo
Profile Joined July 2011
Australia110 Posts
December 13 2011 20:44 GMT
#5817
Pretty disgusting attitude from Naniwa... I've never been a fan of his, and the way it's going it looks like I never will be.
Willsoon
Profile Joined November 2010
Sweden22 Posts
December 13 2011 20:45 GMT
#5818
On December 13 2011 23:15 MorroW wrote:
because both were out of the tournament the game didnt matter. why do they even have the game in the first place?
its kinda silly because both players have no reason to fight their hardest or show potential secret builds

he probably wasnt allowed to give walkover so he just did whatever ended the game the quickest

do you guys really wanna watch 2 guys play a casual game during GSL blizzard cup where neither of them cares about winning?

im not saying what naniwa did was right or wrong, or manner or bad manner. im just saying i think the system should allow for walkovers if they players request it if the game has no meaning


yeah, but on the other hand they must have known that this could end up being a situation if they knew the tournament format. so my point is that if players dont agree with the format, even if things like this can occur, then dont join it. or do our best to show a good game. the thing is that many people wanted to see this game in particular. i dont even get why naniwa didnt want to play against nestea considering their past.
SKtheAnathema
Profile Joined September 2010
United States885 Posts
December 13 2011 20:47 GMT
#5819
players are a part of the show. that's what it means when you're sponsored. you're part of a show and doing what naniwa did is pretty much like walking out of a job. but then again, i'm sure the controversy and outlandishness of what he did probably benefits GSL in some way too, publicity-wise :x
SuPerFlyTNT
Profile Joined November 2010
United States145 Posts
December 13 2011 20:48 GMT
#5820
Everyone who is defending the Naniwa thing of the game didnt matter is just wrong. Every professional league has games that 'dont matter' think of NFL games between two teams who are garaunteed to not make it to the playoffs. Yes everyone understands that maybe your heart isn't in it anymore, but its a spectator sport. Where do you think the money comes from? You're on TV, do your fucking job. Even if its not your most motivated game, play. It's what you do for a living. Don't bring out your super secret builds if you don't want to. That doesn't excuse not playing.

If my NFL team were garaunteed out of the playoffs and they just took a knee all game and shit, I'd think they should all be fined and/or released. Anyone would. You're a professional, again, do your JOB.
Every time my fingers touch brains.
Prev 1 289 290 291 292 293 294 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 8h 41m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
LamboSC2 310
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 36881
Calm 5955
Bisu 2557
Rain 1562
Jaedong 1053
Horang2 722
BeSt 570
FanTaSy 448
Soma 425
Rush 393
[ Show more ]
Larva 340
Stork 298
Light 290
Snow 192
Zeus 191
ZerO 187
Mind 151
Barracks 105
910 103
Free 101
Killer 89
Hyun 49
Mong 48
Shinee 46
Sea.KH 46
sorry 45
ToSsGirL 37
Pusan 26
Aegong 19
Hm[arnc] 18
Terrorterran 17
Rock 16
Sexy 13
Trap 11
Sacsri 10
Noble 9
Dota 2
Gorgc7124
XaKoH 413
Counter-Strike
fl0m3154
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes343
Other Games
gofns36235
singsing2267
B2W.Neo945
olofmeister794
hiko418
Lowko331
Mlord314
Hui .189
DeMusliM163
Livibee159
djWHEAT110
RotterdaM98
Mew2King65
Trikslyr53
QueenE51
ZerO(Twitch)13
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 10
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix10
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3776
• Jankos2440
• TFBlade543
Upcoming Events
OSC
8h 41m
Big Brain Bouts
19h 41m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 2h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 4h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 19h
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-08
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.