• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:47
CEST 06:47
KST 13:47
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)26Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8895 users

New England Starcraft 2 LANapalooza - Page 10

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Tournaments
Post a Reply
Prev 1 8 9 10 11 12 15 Next All
Catreina
Profile Joined April 2010
United States304 Posts
September 02 2010 15:08 GMT
#181
I just read some of the posts about casting - how fast is the internet upload speed there? How many people are casting? How many computers will be used other than for the tournament?

Many people know my cast on Justin.TV - I can help with casting (actually casting or helping others) if I end up going/being readmitted. All depends on what is going on / up to Ryan/muzzy
muzzy
Profile Joined March 2010
United States640 Posts
September 02 2010 15:26 GMT
#182
The PCs aren't super high end, you are correct. The monitors are older than the PCs there, though.

I played some test games at mediums settings when I was last there and was watching the framerate counter the whole time... I'm really picky about good frames. On medium settings I never saw them dropping below 40FPS, even in large battles, which I consider to be acceptable. Usually the frame rate was much higher.

I don't mean to be hasty in dropping you, but like I said, I've got people eager to get in, so if someone tells me they want to leave I want to be fair to the people waiting.

From what I can gather, we almost certainly will be able to get wide screens in. We've got at least 4 confirmed now, so unless someone bringing them drops out, shouldn't be a problem. If you'd like Catreina I can put you back on the top of the reserve list so as soon as something opens you would be in.
muzzy
Profile Joined March 2010
United States640 Posts
September 02 2010 15:36 GMT
#183
On September 03 2010 00:08 Catreina wrote:
I just read some of the posts about casting - how fast is the internet upload speed there? How many people are casting? How many computers will be used other than for the tournament?

Many people know my cast on Justin.TV - I can help with casting (actually casting or helping others) if I end up going/being readmitted. All depends on what is going on / up to Ryan/muzzy

Upload speed should be plenty, they have a business class broadband connection... it has to be at *least* 1Mbps, though I'd say we wouldn't want more than two streams at once, right?

So far Ryan/Drogith are doing casting, and I think Drogith is going to be setting up an internet stream.

For casting it's recommended you bring your own PC, but certainly if you're interested, send a PM to RyanRushia. Maybe you guys can share a PC for casting. I'm pretty much leaving all that up to him, as I don't know anything about that stuff.
Catreina
Profile Joined April 2010
United States304 Posts
September 02 2010 16:34 GMT
#184
On September 03 2010 00:26 muzzy wrote:
The PCs aren't super high end, you are correct. The monitors are older than the PCs there, though.

I played some test games at mediums settings when I was last there and was watching the framerate counter the whole time... I'm really picky about good frames. On medium settings I never saw them dropping below 40FPS, even in large battles, which I consider to be acceptable. Usually the frame rate was much higher.

I don't mean to be hasty in dropping you, but like I said, I've got people eager to get in, so if someone tells me they want to leave I want to be fair to the people waiting.

From what I can gather, we almost certainly will be able to get wide screens in. We've got at least 4 confirmed now, so unless someone bringing them drops out, shouldn't be a problem. If you'd like Catreina I can put you back on the top of the reserve list so as soon as something opens you would be in.



40 fps for me would be icky, having been in CAL back in the day and noticing little things like going from 40fps to 45fps and 90ms to 120ms pings

Go ahead and put me back on the reserve list, but not at the top. I am still kind of skeptical about playing but if there is room I will go.
muzzy
Profile Joined March 2010
United States640 Posts
September 02 2010 16:44 GMT
#185
On September 03 2010 01:34 Catreina wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 03 2010 00:26 muzzy wrote:
The PCs aren't super high end, you are correct. The monitors are older than the PCs there, though.

I played some test games at mediums settings when I was last there and was watching the framerate counter the whole time... I'm really picky about good frames. On medium settings I never saw them dropping below 40FPS, even in large battles, which I consider to be acceptable. Usually the frame rate was much higher.

I don't mean to be hasty in dropping you, but like I said, I've got people eager to get in, so if someone tells me they want to leave I want to be fair to the people waiting.

From what I can gather, we almost certainly will be able to get wide screens in. We've got at least 4 confirmed now, so unless someone bringing them drops out, shouldn't be a problem. If you'd like Catreina I can put you back on the top of the reserve list so as soon as something opens you would be in.



40 fps for me would be icky, having been in CAL back in the day and noticing little things like going from 40fps to 45fps and 90ms to 120ms pings

Go ahead and put me back on the reserve list, but not at the top. I am still kind of skeptical about playing but if there is room I will go.

I should note that those 40fps moment I saw were in 2v2 and 3v3 games, which obviously are more taxing.
Anyhow, I'll go ahead and add you to the reserve list.
Ddraig
Profile Joined June 2010
United States16 Posts
September 02 2010 17:03 GMT
#186
Oh come on, we could be playing this game on an abacus, everyone is in the same boat. If skill level is tied to your computer equipment then the gamer with the best budget would always win. Huk is rated as #1 or #2 on the american servers and I've been on his stream when he's talked about his computer setup. It's older than my LAST system, and he does just fine, clearly.

Muzzy, you shouldn't be hosting this tournament with less than the best. Doesn't Maine have some octo-core SLIed 52'' plasma screened systems somewhere? I really can't play without one, I'll just lose. It better glow blue and be water cooled too.
muzzy
Profile Joined March 2010
United States640 Posts
September 02 2010 17:20 GMT
#187
On September 03 2010 02:03 Ddraig wrote:
Muzzy, you shouldn't be hosting this tournament with less than the best. Doesn't Maine have some octo-core SLIed 52'' plasma screened systems somewhere? I really can't play without one, I'll just lose. It better glow blue and be water cooled too.


lol, sorry dude, no can do. I know, it's shameful. I will commit hara-kiri now.

Goodbye, cruel world.
Hasire
Profile Joined February 2010
United States125 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-02 17:23:56
September 02 2010 17:23 GMT
#188
Edit: Removed stuff about Cat



Towards the 40 FPS on medium: We should just play on low. There is no reason to risk a big match stutter that screws someone up. The games will be cast on Ultra anyways, so it really wont effect watching.

You're trying to set up a first-time LAN here, don't try and force everything to work out a certain way, it will just lead to people getting frustrated with the whole thing and a terrible time being had by all, which is terrible.

Also, threatening to kick people really quickly after just disagreeing with over something fairly small is a bit of an over reaction. Remember this is supposed to be fun!
muzzy
Profile Joined March 2010
United States640 Posts
September 02 2010 18:34 GMT
#189
On September 03 2010 02:23 Hasire wrote:
Edit: Removed stuff about Cat



Towards the 40 FPS on medium: We should just play on low. There is no reason to risk a big match stutter that screws someone up. The games will be cast on Ultra anyways, so it really wont effect watching.

You're trying to set up a first-time LAN here, don't try and force everything to work out a certain way, it will just lead to people getting frustrated with the whole thing and a terrible time being had by all, which is terrible.

Also, threatening to kick people really quickly after just disagreeing with over something fairly small is a bit of an over reaction. Remember this is supposed to be fun!


What I've come to realize is that you'll never please everyone.

If I went ahead and said "Ya, we're playing at low", you'd see complaints about how Low is unfair (see the epic thread right here on TL about the whole high/low debate).
If I say "Let's play at medium" we get complaints that the framerate isn't high enough.

We'll play on medium and if it turns out to be a problem, we'll change it. I

I'd also like to go ahead and counter your point that anyone organizing this tournament is trying to "force" things in place. In fact, I feel quite the opposite. We're trying to accommodate as many requests as possible.

As far as kicking someone out- A StarCraft tournament isn't some sort of basic human right (I wish it were...), it's a personal event hosted in a private business. If I feel like someone is not cooperating, not following rules and/or causing trouble than I certainly can kick them out.
I don't mind constructive feedback, but I don't care for straight up complaining with no offered help or solutions to the perceived problem.

This is something myself, and others, are putting a lot of time and effort into organizing. We shouldn't have to deal with negative attitudes souring the experience.
Drogith
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1350 Posts
September 02 2010 22:24 GMT
#190
Ultra? I wish. I did upgrade my comp, but the vid card is good enough to watch on high. I may try to ramp it up to ultra tonight and see what kind of frames I get, but no guarantee.

Yes, I am setting up the stream I have through livestream and tl.net. For me, anyway, it seems to give a cleaner video output than justin or ustream.

Since monitors are being brought, you think I can borrow one of the LANs for casting. I run a 19" CRT from the stoneage and its a pain to lug around. I just want to let you guys know I am very excited about the potential matchups of some of these games. I see names of past winners in close brackets and it's very exciting.
Founder of the New England SC2 League
Catreina
Profile Joined April 2010
United States304 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-03 00:13:24
September 03 2010 00:10 GMT
#191
On September 03 2010 02:03 Ddraig wrote:
Oh come on, we could be playing this game on an abacus, everyone is in the same boat. If skill level is tied to your computer equipment then the gamer with the best budget would always win. Huk is rated as #1 or #2 on the american servers and I've been on his stream when he's talked about his computer setup. It's older than my LAST system, and he does just fine, clearly.

Muzzy, you shouldn't be hosting this tournament with less than the best. Doesn't Maine have some octo-core SLIed 52'' plasma screened systems somewhere? I really can't play without one, I'll just lose. It better glow blue and be water cooled too.


It isnt about what the computers are "capable" of, it is about what you are "used to" using every day, every game, every match, every win and every loss.

I guarantee that if HuK went from lowest settings at 20 fps on a 4:3 to highest settings at 60fps on a 16:10 there would be skill issues. This isnt about the capabilites, it is about the change.

Like I said, the biggest issue for me would be the 4:3 aspect. I have been using widescreen monitors and 16:10 resolution since friggin 2004 at least. With the widescreen issues history (we have plenty of people offering to bring their own monitors to help out), the only issues would be quality/fps, which are guaranteed to make the people crying about them a target - myself included.

Drogith
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1350 Posts
September 03 2010 11:59 GMT
#192
I did some tests last night and played a 2v2 on ultra settings. So casting as such should be no problem. Good news for all.
Founder of the New England SC2 League
Drogith
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1350 Posts
September 03 2010 12:51 GMT
#193
Aww... We aren't on the calendar just yet
Founder of the New England SC2 League
muzzy
Profile Joined March 2010
United States640 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-03 13:04:25
September 03 2010 13:03 GMT
#194
On September 03 2010 07:24 Drogith wrote:
Ultra? I wish. I did upgrade my comp, but the vid card is good enough to watch on high. I may try to ramp it up to ultra tonight and see what kind of frames I get, but no guarantee.

Yes, I am setting up the stream I have through livestream and tl.net. For me, anyway, it seems to give a cleaner video output than justin or ustream.

Since monitors are being brought, you think I can borrow one of the LANs for casting. I run a 19" CRT from the stoneage and its a pain to lug around. I just want to let you guys know I am very excited about the potential matchups of some of these games. I see names of past winners in close brackets and it's very exciting.

Ya, you can certainly use one from the LAN center. We may end up with extra wide screens too, we'll see.

Thanks for your assistance, Drogith.

If I don't see us on the calendar within the next week, I'll follow up with Manifesto.
Hasire
Profile Joined February 2010
United States125 Posts
September 04 2010 19:00 GMT
#195
bump
muzzy
Profile Joined March 2010
United States640 Posts
September 04 2010 20:36 GMT
#196
On September 05 2010 04:00 Hasire wrote:
bump

I feel guilty doing that

To make this a somewhat valuable post...

Due to uncertainty about the whole wide screen thing, I'd like to request that anyone who doesn't mind bringing their wide screen monitor, please do so.
Even if you don't plan on staying all day, and even if we don't end up needing it, I'd rather have a surplus than not. Can't hurt to have extra monitors... worse thing that happens is you wasted a few minutes unhooking it and loading it up in your car.

From what I see so far, we'll have plenty, but again... I just want to be certain. Also, this way if anyone has a preference for playing on their own monitor, they can do so.

As always... if anyone has any concerns/questions/suggestions for the tournament, let me know!


TheWiZARD
Profile Joined September 2010
United States5 Posts
September 06 2010 12:26 GMT
#197
Hey Muzzy I think it's awesome that you're putting this together I live on Cape Cod but I'll be busy on that day I'm pretty sure. If you would like to put me on reserve I will get back to you but mainly this post is to say props for putting together a LAN because obviously sc2 is amazing. So, props!
"Language is not merely a device for communicating ideas about the world, but rather a tool for bringing the world into existence in the first place." - misia Landau
Drogith
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1350 Posts
September 06 2010 13:17 GMT
#198
So I've been doing some tweaking of settings for streaming and what not and we will be doing pretty good for the online stream. Good news about the projectors as well, I'll bring my speakers along so we can have sound but we'll have to do some A/V testing with the equipment once I get there. Again, settings on ultra are a GO and if my stream cuts out we can simply drop it to High which is plenty good for watching live quality.
Founder of the New England SC2 League
muzzy
Profile Joined March 2010
United States640 Posts
September 07 2010 14:55 GMT
#199
On September 06 2010 22:17 Drogith wrote:
So I've been doing some tweaking of settings for streaming and what not and we will be doing pretty good for the online stream. Good news about the projectors as well, I'll bring my speakers along so we can have sound but we'll have to do some A/V testing with the equipment once I get there. Again, settings on ultra are a GO and if my stream cuts out we can simply drop it to High which is plenty good for watching live quality.

Excellent.

Make sure to allow yourself some extra time to setup and test everything beforehand... I'll be on site at least 2 hours before the tournament starts.
muzzy
Profile Joined March 2010
United States640 Posts
September 07 2010 14:59 GMT
#200
On September 06 2010 21:26 TheWiZARD wrote:
Hey Muzzy I think it's awesome that you're putting this together I live on Cape Cod but I'll be busy on that day I'm pretty sure. If you would like to put me on reserve I will get back to you but mainly this post is to say props for putting together a LAN because obviously sc2 is amazing. So, props!

Thanks for the support. Hopefully this is just the start of an active SC2 scene in New England.

I'll put you on the reserve and let you know ASAP if something opens up.

Prev 1 8 9 10 11 12 15 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 13m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2099
Snow 120
Bale 29
Noble 19
Icarus 5
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm193
Counter-Strike
taco 523
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1466
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1160
WinterStarcraft617
Other Games
summit1g8326
JimRising 642
PiGStarcraft323
ArmadaUGS152
C9.Mang0148
Maynarde137
RuFF_SC2123
Sick104
ViBE71
Livibee37
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick663
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream156
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 33
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki141
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota293
League of Legends
• Lourlo1320
• Rush948
• Stunt339
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
5h 13m
OSC
8h 13m
Stellar Fest
8h 13m
OSC
19h 13m
Stellar Fest
1d 8h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.