• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:30
CEST 14:30
KST 21:30
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)41Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10579 users

4M: A Guide to Modern TvZ - Page 14

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
320 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All
LoveTool
Profile Joined April 2012
Sweden143 Posts
September 03 2013 21:11 GMT
#261
Wow, the level of quality for this guide exceeded my expectations, a lot. Great work!

ps. i still hate MMMM
Destructicon
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
4713 Posts
September 03 2013 21:27 GMT
#262
Nice to see some responses, glad to see you are working on follow up articles and brand new ones. I still have to ask though, will you do a guide, or is there a plan to make guides on how to engage and properly fight?

When watching the pros play it seems easy to overlook a lot of small elements of their play that leads them to victory, they don't just mindlessly select everything and move out, there is methodology to how they move out, how they position and how they go about fighting, and I feel like its one of the harder things to pick up on, and probably one of the harder parts to master as well.
WriterNever give up, never surrender! https://www.youtube.com/user/DestructiconSC
vaderseven
Profile Joined September 2008
United States2556 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-03 23:41:55
September 03 2013 23:41 GMT
#263
On September 04 2013 06:27 Destructicon wrote:
Nice to see some responses, glad to see you are working on follow up articles and brand new ones. I still have to ask though, will you do a guide, or is there a plan to make guides on how to engage and properly fight?

When watching the pros play it seems easy to overlook a lot of small elements of their play that leads them to victory, they don't just mindlessly select everything and move out, there is methodology to how they move out, how they position and how they go about fighting, and I feel like its one of the harder things to pick up on, and probably one of the harder parts to master as well.


You know what, I am putting the finishing touches on my follow TvZ article tonight.

Your wish is my command.



@BBLN: I'll watch that ladder replay tonight I forgot to do so the other day.
BBLN
Profile Joined October 2012
16 Posts
September 04 2013 13:05 GMT
#264
On September 04 2013 08:41 vaderseven wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 04 2013 06:27 Destructicon wrote:
Nice to see some responses, glad to see you are working on follow up articles and brand new ones. I still have to ask though, will you do a guide, or is there a plan to make guides on how to engage and properly fight?

When watching the pros play it seems easy to overlook a lot of small elements of their play that leads them to victory, they don't just mindlessly select everything and move out, there is methodology to how they move out, how they position and how they go about fighting, and I feel like its one of the harder things to pick up on, and probably one of the harder parts to master as well.


You know what, I am putting the finishing touches on my follow TvZ article tonight.

Your wish is my command.



@BBLN: I'll watch that ladder replay tonight I forgot to do so the other day.


This season I feel lost in TvZ, last season I had like 60% winrate in plat,but now in diamond about 30%
(Looks like every season my best MU changes, now my TvP is strongest :O)
Sometimes I am just afraid to push and feel like my split is not good enough and blings will destroy my army, so I find my self turtling between my 3rd and fourth. I am trying to drop a lot, but sometimes I just feel I am losing a lot more resources than him.

I'm looking forward to the section about engagements too
Thank you for your hard work and dedication
vaderseven
Profile Joined September 2008
United States2556 Posts
September 04 2013 14:06 GMT
#265
On September 04 2013 22:05 BBLN wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 04 2013 08:41 vaderseven wrote:
On September 04 2013 06:27 Destructicon wrote:
Nice to see some responses, glad to see you are working on follow up articles and brand new ones. I still have to ask though, will you do a guide, or is there a plan to make guides on how to engage and properly fight?

When watching the pros play it seems easy to overlook a lot of small elements of their play that leads them to victory, they don't just mindlessly select everything and move out, there is methodology to how they move out, how they position and how they go about fighting, and I feel like its one of the harder things to pick up on, and probably one of the harder parts to master as well.


You know what, I am putting the finishing touches on my follow TvZ article tonight.

Your wish is my command.



@BBLN: I'll watch that ladder replay tonight I forgot to do so the other day.


This season I feel lost in TvZ, last season I had like 60% winrate in plat,but now in diamond about 30%
(Looks like every season my best MU changes, now my TvP is strongest :O)
Sometimes I am just afraid to push and feel like my split is not good enough and blings will destroy my army, so I find my self turtling between my 3rd and fourth. I am trying to drop a lot, but sometimes I just feel I am losing a lot more resources than him.

I'm looking forward to the section about engagements too
Thank you for your hard work and dedication


Dont commit to playing the style incorrectly vs what the zerg is out of fear of miss-micro. Your splits will only improve if you try to do them.
Pirfiktshon
Profile Joined June 2013
United States1072 Posts
September 04 2013 16:50 GMT
#266
I didn't see Polt's Reaper Expand in this description its the defensive map control build for 3cc. Here is the Listing for it from Day9
http://day9.tv/d/Day9/day9-daily-621-polts-tvz-amazingness/
vaderseven
Profile Joined September 2008
United States2556 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-06 04:02:44
September 06 2013 02:40 GMT
#267
On September 05 2013 01:50 Pirfiktshon wrote:
I didn't see Polt's Reaper Expand in this description its the defensive map control build for 3cc. Here is the Listing for it from Day9
http://day9.tv/d/Day9/day9-daily-621-polts-tvz-amazingness/


The mid game is the same. The opening from that is a wonderfully modified opening. It is a reaper expand into fast starport before 3rd CC. Including every variation on openings and midgame would leave me with a guide that would be about 100 pages long.

I kid not!

This guide covers the two single most common openings and the most common trends in the mid game.

In other news, the first draft of the followup 4M article is now done. I focused on a player and his version of 4M and showcase a detailed look at positioning and how that player uses a unique build order to accomplish his goals.

I also look very deeply at how 4M is intended to win games as this current guide is a bit light on that specific subject.
XiaoJoyce-
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
China2908 Posts
September 07 2013 06:55 GMT
#268
So it is Marine Marauder Medivac & Mines~

I always thought it is Marine Mines Medivac and the last 1 is maybe Mule?

Because I always never see marauder.
Pew! Pew! Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!
vaderseven
Profile Joined September 2008
United States2556 Posts
September 07 2013 06:59 GMT
#269
On September 07 2013 15:55 XiaoJoyce- wrote:
So it is Marine Marauder Medivac & Mines~

I always thought it is Marine Mines Medivac and the last 1 is maybe Mule?

Because I always never see marauder.


Check out alot of replays in the guide. Many pros do get marauders at some point in the game. Every Terran adds them if the Zerg makes it to Hive and techs to Ultras.

It depends on the playstyle of the Terran but MANY Terran like to go for a 10 marine and 1-4 marauder rally instead of the more modern korean trend of the moment to rally 12 marines.

4M has always stood for Marine, Marauder, Medivac, Mine. You can find examples of casters such as Day 9 and Artosis using it in such a fashion since the release of HotS.
RoarMan
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada745 Posts
September 08 2013 20:20 GMT
#270
Are tanks not viable anymore? I'm getting owned by ling/baneling/muta. It's ridiculous how strong it is now. What am I supposed to do? I feel like I'm playing on the backfoot the whole game.
All the pros got dat Ichie.
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
September 08 2013 21:28 GMT
#271
On September 09 2013 05:20 RoarMan wrote:
Are tanks not viable anymore? I'm getting owned by ling/baneling/muta. It's ridiculous how strong it is now. What am I supposed to do? I feel like I'm playing on the backfoot the whole game.


You should be going bio/mine not bio/tanks. bio/tank isn't very good, bio/mine is way stronger, easier to use and a lot more mobile.
When I think of something else, something will go here
vaderseven
Profile Joined September 2008
United States2556 Posts
September 08 2013 23:52 GMT
#272
On September 09 2013 05:20 RoarMan wrote:
Are tanks not viable anymore? I'm getting owned by ling/baneling/muta. It's ridiculous how strong it is now. What am I supposed to do? I feel like I'm playing on the backfoot the whole game.



???


Bio Mine is strong vs that composition to the point that many pros consider the matchup to be Terran favored. The entire matchup revolves around those unit comps and Terran is the one coming out ahead!
graNite
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Germany4434 Posts
September 09 2013 08:34 GMT
#273
Why arent pros getting more mines? It feels like they always only have a maximum of 10, why not 20? Seems a lot stronger to me to have less marines and more mines.
"Oink oink, bitches" - Tasteless on Pigbaby winning a map against Flash
vaderseven
Profile Joined September 2008
United States2556 Posts
September 09 2013 11:21 GMT
#274
You will seem them go over ten many times. The real strenghth of bio mine is the synergy of mines protecting marines retreat paths and marines preventing single units from triggering the mines. With that in mind, its never good to be too high or low on either. You want the mix.
Aeromi
Profile Blog Joined August 2012
France14463 Posts
September 09 2013 17:05 GMT
#275
Hi guys, I'm a part of a french team and we translated this awesome guide in french. We've done that because French are not good in english ( look at my english skills... )

You can download the whole guide here : http://www.sendspace.com/file/3uu4pz

Regards guys !
+
https://twitter.com/DrAeromi | Updates on live tournaments: @StarCrafteSport
Oukka
Profile Blog Joined September 2012
Finland1683 Posts
September 09 2013 17:18 GMT
#276
On September 10 2013 02:05 Aeromi wrote:
Hi guys, I'm a part of a french team and we translated this awesome guide in french. We've done that because French are not good in english ( look at my english skills... )

You can download the whole guide here : http://www.sendspace.com/file/3uu4pz

Regards guys !


I hope someone can gift you TL+ for this. And get this spotlighted, and elect you to next president of France.
I play children's card games and watch a lot of dota, CS and HS
HammerKick
Profile Blog Joined May 2013
France6190 Posts
September 09 2013 18:40 GMT
#277
On September 10 2013 02:18 Oukka wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 10 2013 02:05 Aeromi wrote:
Hi guys, I'm a part of a french team and we translated this awesome guide in french. We've done that because French are not good in english ( look at my english skills... )

You can download the whole guide here : http://www.sendspace.com/file/3uu4pz

Regards guys !


I hope someone can gift you TL+ for this. And get this spotlighted, and elect you to next president of France.


Haha! Hope we'll do a better job than Hollande! :p

Thank you!
Well, it's high noon somewhere in the world
vaderseven
Profile Joined September 2008
United States2556 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-13 00:56:04
September 13 2013 00:55 GMT
#278
Edit.
BAdGer_
Profile Joined January 2010
United States80 Posts
September 13 2013 04:47 GMT
#279
Wonderful guide
Thanks for the clarity and decisiveness it really helps
Also the VOD linking is genius I can't imagIne how long you spent on this
Keep it up!
The End Is Coming--when SCBW dies WWIII will break out--you heard it here first
klup
Profile Joined May 2013
France612 Posts
September 13 2013 06:48 GMT
#280
You should be going bio/mine not bio/tanks. bio/tank isn't very good, bio/mine is way stronger, easier to use and a lot more mobile.


I think mines are preferred over tanks because no matter what zergs will have at some point some mutas... And since the hots buff mutas are really really good so you can't invest your 'tech' unit into something that cannot kill muta.

Prev 1 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 31m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech145
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 36569
Shuttle 2463
Bisu 1039
Horang2 947
Jaedong 867
Light 441
BeSt 365
firebathero 333
Mini 330
Hyuk 287
[ Show more ]
Stork 272
actioN 266
Soma 237
EffOrt 232
Zeus 202
ggaemo 197
Soulkey 162
Last 145
Snow 122
Leta 118
ZerO 118
Pusan 83
Rush 76
Killer 74
hero 51
Mong 44
Sharp 40
Mind 36
Shinee 30
Shine 27
Aegong 27
Bale 24
ToSsGirL 23
soO 20
Sexy 19
PianO 19
Trap 17
Yoon 16
Free 14
sorry 13
Terrorterran 12
HiyA 10
zelot 10
JulyZerg 9
Noble 8
ajuk12(nOOB) 6
Icarus 5
Dota 2
Gorgc3942
qojqva1677
Dendi1010
League of Legends
Reynor92
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1282
x6flipin325
markeloff103
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1929
crisheroes930
Other Games
gofns33636
singsing2163
B2W.Neo699
XBOCT361
DeMusliM188
Livibee180
XaKoH 152
Mlord151
Liquid`LucifroN121
ArmadaUGS113
Mew2King87
QueenE65
Chillindude13
Railgan10
ZerO(Twitch)6
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream204
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 8
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 61
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2128
• TFBlade639
Other Games
• WagamamaTV197
Upcoming Events
OSC
31m
Stellar Fest
31m
Serral vs herO
Solar vs Shino
Maru vs Clem
SHIN vs GgMaChine
OSC
11h 31m
Stellar Fest
1d
CranKy Ducklings
1d 21h
Online Event
1d 22h
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
[ Show More ]
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.