• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:39
CEST 23:39
KST 06:39
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)50Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9578 users

4M: A Guide to Modern TvZ - Page 16

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
320 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 14 15 16 17 Next All
ZeromuS
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada13425 Posts
November 21 2013 07:03 GMT
#301
On November 21 2013 15:56 manicshock wrote:
So is this still reccomended with the recent tank buff and mine nerf? What's the current "best" style? I've seen both used, just mine style seems weaker. Most terrans seem to be adding tanks now and it's looking closer to WoL style TvZ.


I think this is the case, tanks might take over mines. Vader has a FAQ that he wrote, but feels that due to the change its not worth posting anymore. I will let him know your concerns and see if he can answer them in the next day or two. In the meantime I want to know if you guys would still like to see his FAQ about 4M, it unfortunately was being worked on during a busy time and it got put on the backburner a little too long. For that I'm sorry.
StrategyRTS forever | @ZeromuS_plays | www.twitch.tv/Zeromus_
vaderseven
Profile Joined September 2008
United States2556 Posts
November 21 2013 20:23 GMT
#302
I don't feel as if there is a best style yet. It might take a month or two to know.

Mech, for instance, might be the new modern tvz. It's really hard to tell atm.
Desive
Profile Joined July 2012
Spain13 Posts
November 21 2013 21:48 GMT
#303
I really like the addition of thors that almost all terran players are starting to do vs ling bling muta
vaderseven
Profile Joined September 2008
United States2556 Posts
November 23 2013 04:52 GMT
#304
On November 22 2013 06:48 Desive wrote:
I really like the addition of thors that almost all terran players are starting to do vs ling bling muta


I agree that Thor are good but I want to see if they remain the answer to mutas in 4m vs zero or if a larger overall change towards mech with upgraded thors being the center piece of the ground army vs any zerg that isn't going a ground focused lair roach army.

It feels like mech with fast double armory into fast(ish) sky terran army is stronger than a 4m 3/3 timing attack based game plan in the current patch.

I want to see what top korean terrans do in the next wcs season do before I say what is really best at the highest level.
0excalibur
Profile Joined December 2013
Taiwan11 Posts
January 15 2014 17:45 GMT
#305
This is probably one of the best guides I ever read. Thank you so much! They need to make something like this for other matchups as well!
plogamer
Profile Blog Joined January 2012
Canada3132 Posts
January 15 2014 22:16 GMT
#306
On January 16 2014 02:45 0excalibur wrote:
This is probably one of the best guides I ever read. Thank you so much! They need to make something like this for other matchups as well!


There is! Actually I felt that Terran guides were lacking *(in terms of numbers) comapred to the Protoss and Zerg guides featured in TL until this guide came along.
Watchmaker
Profile Joined May 2011
United States4 Posts
February 05 2014 03:46 GMT
#307
Sorry for the noob question, and for (potentially) resurrecting a dead thread, but is this build still viable?
Danglars
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States12133 Posts
February 05 2014 05:24 GMT
#308
Parts of it are becoming outdated, but that comprises the minority. The openings and midgame ideas suggested are still widely applicable in normal ladder games.
Great armies come from happy zealots, and happy zealots come from California!
TL+ Member
Ovni
Profile Joined March 2013
89 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-02-05 06:00:10
February 05 2014 05:52 GMT
#309
A lot of Terrans have started to switch back to hellion/banshee builds (before 3rd CC) in TvZ now, which is much more robust vs allins and gives you the potential to do game ending damage. This build (3CC -> 2 ebays) is still used regularly though.

Also, this guide was written before the mine nerf so the lategame parts are outdated, since Terrans will now use their 2nd factory for thors rather than mines in most games.
Slydie
Profile Joined August 2013
2010 Posts
February 05 2014 14:51 GMT
#310
I am fiddeling around with doing exactly this, but going starport-banshee rather than early stim. 3rd CC on normal timing and still 2 fast ebays. For me it is good, as the helions + banshee packs a punch, and it will deflect most roach attacks. For me it is good not to have to change too much in my opening.
Buff the siegetank
Ctone23
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
United States1841 Posts
February 05 2014 15:16 GMT
#311
On February 05 2014 12:46 Watchmaker wrote:
Sorry for the noob question, and for (potentially) resurrecting a dead thread, but is this build still viable?



I was really struggling for a while because zergs were ready for the hellion/reaper harass with a few roaches and I would fall behind economically.

Now, I've just gone straight for widow mines and focused more on a stronger mid-game push to kill off the zergs 3rd, whilst taking my own.

I'm a plat scrub though, so I wouldn't infer that much, but yes it still works for me, the 4M part of the build at least.
TL+ Member
mau5mat
Profile Blog Joined September 2012
Northern Ireland461 Posts
February 05 2014 16:43 GMT
#312
On February 06 2014 00:16 Ctone23 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 05 2014 12:46 Watchmaker wrote:
Sorry for the noob question, and for (potentially) resurrecting a dead thread, but is this build still viable?



I was really struggling for a while because zergs were ready for the hellion/reaper harass with a few roaches and I would fall behind economically.

Now, I've just gone straight for widow mines and focused more on a stronger mid-game push to kill off the zergs 3rd, whilst taking my own.

I'm a plat scrub though, so I wouldn't infer that much, but yes it still works for me, the 4M part of the build at least.


Skipping Hellions for mines is never a good idea, they are your map control and soft contain, if he built roaches for your hellions/reaper, that is a good thing. A healthy hellion count also lets you take your third safer.
Ctone23
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
United States1841 Posts
February 05 2014 16:50 GMT
#313
On February 06 2014 01:43 mau5mat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 06 2014 00:16 Ctone23 wrote:
On February 05 2014 12:46 Watchmaker wrote:
Sorry for the noob question, and for (potentially) resurrecting a dead thread, but is this build still viable?



I was really struggling for a while because zergs were ready for the hellion/reaper harass with a few roaches and I would fall behind economically.

Now, I've just gone straight for widow mines and focused more on a stronger mid-game push to kill off the zergs 3rd, whilst taking my own.

I'm a plat scrub though, so I wouldn't infer that much, but yes it still works for me, the 4M part of the build at least.


Skipping Hellions for mines is never a good idea, they are your map control and soft contain, if he built roaches for your hellions/reaper, that is a good thing. A healthy hellion count also lets you take your third safer.



I get what you are saying. But in plat and gold before, usually seeing a few roaches means more are coming. I will take your advice though and throw the 6 hellions back into the build, I like the idea of using them to help get my 3rd up.
TL+ Member
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
February 05 2014 17:11 GMT
#314
There's a reason people don't build roaches like that though in pro play - because it's bad. When you say "but in plat and gold" etc, remember that 99% of that stuff only works because their opponents don't know how to scout+recognize+abuse stuff :D
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
Ctone23
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
United States1841 Posts
February 05 2014 18:23 GMT
#315
On February 06 2014 02:11 Cyro wrote:
There's a reason people don't build roaches like that though in pro play - because it's bad. When you say "but in plat and gold" etc, remember that 99% of that stuff only works because their opponents don't know how to scout+recognize+abuse stuff :D


"Bad" referencing... Isn't everyone bad then? You can always compare to a higher level and call something/someone bad..

It's definitely important to scout, etc. Something I have been working on for sure. I will add hellions to my build again so I can scout easier, and begin mine production after 6 hellions. For me, its the best way to deal with a swarmy zerg who rushes in with banes when I push out, otherwise without any AOE I get crushed hard.
TL+ Member
RyLai
Profile Joined May 2011
United States477 Posts
February 05 2014 21:06 GMT
#316
On February 06 2014 01:43 mau5mat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 06 2014 00:16 Ctone23 wrote:
On February 05 2014 12:46 Watchmaker wrote:
Sorry for the noob question, and for (potentially) resurrecting a dead thread, but is this build still viable?



I was really struggling for a while because zergs were ready for the hellion/reaper harass with a few roaches and I would fall behind economically.

Now, I've just gone straight for widow mines and focused more on a stronger mid-game push to kill off the zergs 3rd, whilst taking my own.

I'm a plat scrub though, so I wouldn't infer that much, but yes it still works for me, the 4M part of the build at least.


Skipping Hellions for mines is never a good idea, they are your map control and soft contain, if he built roaches for your hellions/reaper, that is a good thing. A healthy hellion count also lets you take your third safer.


Not only that, defensive Widow Mines are the definition of bad. The only good defensive Factory tech would be Tanks vs ground and Thors (+Turrets) vs Mutas.

With Hellions, you can see when he moves out with the Roaches (as opposed to simply defending and zoning your Hellions), and if he does move out, you can threaten a runby while you drop 3-4 Bunkers at home and pull SCVs ready to repair.

Then again, you can go 6-8 Hellions into 2-3 Banshees, be 100% safe from Roaches, and STILL have map control and a fairly quick third. Better yet, you can transition to either Bio or Mech.
Ctone23
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
United States1841 Posts
February 05 2014 21:12 GMT
#317
On February 06 2014 06:06 RyLai wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 06 2014 01:43 mau5mat wrote:
On February 06 2014 00:16 Ctone23 wrote:
On February 05 2014 12:46 Watchmaker wrote:
Sorry for the noob question, and for (potentially) resurrecting a dead thread, but is this build still viable?



I was really struggling for a while because zergs were ready for the hellion/reaper harass with a few roaches and I would fall behind economically.

Now, I've just gone straight for widow mines and focused more on a stronger mid-game push to kill off the zergs 3rd, whilst taking my own.

I'm a plat scrub though, so I wouldn't infer that much, but yes it still works for me, the 4M part of the build at least.


Skipping Hellions for mines is never a good idea, they are your map control and soft contain, if he built roaches for your hellions/reaper, that is a good thing. A healthy hellion count also lets you take your third safer.


Not only that, defensive Widow Mines are the definition of bad. The only good defensive Factory tech would be Tanks vs ground and Thors (+Turrets) vs Mutas.

With Hellions, you can see when he moves out with the Roaches (as opposed to simply defending and zoning your Hellions), and if he does move out, you can threaten a runby while you drop 3-4 Bunkers at home and pull SCVs ready to repair.

Then again, you can go 6-8 Hellions into 2-3 Banshees, be 100% safe from Roaches, and STILL have map control and a fairly quick third. Better yet, you can transition to either Bio or Mech.



Predicated on the fact your control is good enough to accomplish such a task. I'll give the banshees a shot too, been reading up on that. Thanks!
TL+ Member
Watchmaker
Profile Joined May 2011
United States4 Posts
February 05 2014 21:20 GMT
#318
Thanks for all the feedback! So would inclusion of the banshees be something like Factory -> switch with reactor on barracks -> Tech lab on barracks -> second gas -> Starport and switch onto the tech lab on the barracks?

Additionally, (sorry again for the question) but would the thors be the answer for mutas when I move out? And should I begin incorporating them after I establish my third or before hand?
dyDrawer
Profile Joined September 2012
Canada438 Posts
February 06 2014 00:21 GMT
#319
On February 06 2014 06:20 Watchmaker wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback! So would inclusion of the banshees be something like Factory -> switch with reactor on barracks -> Tech lab on barracks -> second gas -> Starport and switch onto the tech lab on the barracks?

Additionally, (sorry again for the question) but would the thors be the answer for mutas when I move out? And should I begin incorporating them after I establish my third or before hand?


Because of the Mine nerf, Bio Mine isn't the go to composition anymore. According to individual preference, players are now mixing in Siege Tanks, Hellbats or Thors, sometimes even going pure Marine/Marauder bio. Also, Hellion/Banshee into 3 cc is also a very common strategy. If you want the build orders, check out some recent pro VODs or replays. I believe there are quite a few of those from Proleague, among others.
Dear, Rain, PartinG, Trap - "Glory to the Firstborn"
Telmancho
Profile Joined January 2014
France5 Posts
February 26 2014 18:09 GMT
#320
I just want to say this guide is awesome !

I just wish it existed for the other two terran matchups

Thanks a bunch
Prev 1 14 15 16 17 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 21m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech136
Nathanias 132
Nina 108
SpeCial 63
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 12910
Bale 11
League of Legends
Doublelift2472
JimRising 368
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4994
Khaldor1342
Liquid`Hasu710
Other Games
summit1g7127
fl0m652
shahzam485
ToD177
KnowMe135
FrodaN122
ArmadaUGS118
Mew2King73
JuggernautJason50
NeuroSwarm40
ViBE32
PPMD15
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV196
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream66
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• musti20045 27
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• HerbMon 0
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Noizen100
Other Games
• imaqtpie854
• Shiphtur210
• Scarra134
Upcoming Events
OSC
2h 21m
Stellar Fest
15h 21m
OSC
1d
CranKy Ducklings
1d 12h
Online Event
1d 13h
FEL
1d 18h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 19h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 21h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.