• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:44
CEST 08:44
KST 15:44
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)29Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work?
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7795 users

4M: A Guide to Modern TvZ - Page 15

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
320 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 13 14 15 16 17 Next All
DilemaH
Profile Blog Joined September 2012
Canada402 Posts
September 13 2013 14:27 GMT
#281
On September 13 2013 15:48 klup wrote:
Show nested quote +
You should be going bio/mine not bio/tanks. bio/tank isn't very good, bio/mine is way stronger, easier to use and a lot more mobile.


I think mines are preferred over tanks because no matter what zergs will have at some point some mutas... And since the hots buff mutas are really really good so you can't invest your 'tech' unit into something that cannot kill muta.


bio/tank is.....different. Biotank is more timings push/deathball oriented where biomine is mini pushes to widdle the zergie down.
Biomine is better imo. 99% of all masters agree.
Edit: Is it just me or is the font of the thread main post too big? If so It should be scaled down.
They don't want you to construct additional pylons
FSTitanium
Profile Joined June 2011
Singapore13 Posts
September 14 2013 04:56 GMT
#282
very nice guide bro, a very good guideline
Never say die till the last marine falls
TheAnathema
Profile Joined September 2013
Sweden2 Posts
September 16 2013 22:14 GMT
#283
What a guide! Really good job...
Anathema was originally used as a term for exile from the church, but evolved to mean "set apart, banished, denounced".
Hushfield
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Belgium80 Posts
September 21 2013 23:18 GMT
#284
Thank you very much for the extensive guide. I love the fact you provided so many source VODs. Excellent write-up!
vaderseven
Profile Joined September 2008
United States2556 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-10-04 05:50:44
October 04 2013 05:48 GMT
#285
There will be a small update in the near future in the form of a FAQ.

Here is a small preview:


Question 1:

Innovation does his transition to the mid game slightly differently than what is listed in this guide. What is the build order for that and what should I know about it?
Credit for this question goes to U_G_L_Y of www.teamliquid.net

Answer: Innovation does a standard opening (he does both the Reaper FE and the CC Rax Gas). Upon confirmation of a macro play out of the Zerg (his hellions scout a third hatchery, no suspicious gas activity that isn't accounted for, normal unit counts, etc) he will do the following after completing his first six hellions and before any mine production:

Lift factory
Reactor at factory & barracks at old reactor & barracks near new factory location
(The factory will lift when it is done making this reactor and the barracks built nearby will take the reactor)
2x engineering bay (start +1/+1 asap)
2x refinery
@start of +1/+1: starport and lift factory to start another reactor that will be used by this starport
2x barracks
@stim done: combat shields
@30%-50% of +1/+1: armory
@~12:00: factory (tech lab asap for mine upgrade)
3x barracks



Innovation's transition is a very optimized variation on the standard and has the goal of having the most possible units in a useful combination ready to go when all of the upgrades kick in. It relies on good scouting information to confirm that no early game or early mid game attack from the Zerg will be used to try and end things prematurely as it has less production during a short window in order to have more production shortly afterwards. When +1/+1, stim, and combat shields are done you should have at least 16 marines and two medivacs. This force is powerful, well upgraded, mobile, and safe. This allows Innovation the luxury of being aggressive on creep (usually to kill tumors) and safely load up and boost out at the first sign of a fight.

In a straight up macro game, this is the preferred modern version of the transition into 4M out of a fast expand opening.


I have already selected several questions from this thread that will be answered in the FAQ but please feel free to post questions now to give me more ammo!
BugRoger
Profile Joined October 2013
Germany2 Posts
October 05 2013 21:24 GMT
#286
I was having problems getting the Medivacs out in time for the 11:30 benchmarks. Turns out I was starting Marauders too early and spending too much on some extra Widow Mines. I found out by modelling the build in sc2planner. Maybe it's useful for someone else too:

SC2Planner - 4M - Reaper FE, Reactor Helions, 3rd CC
vaderseven
Profile Joined September 2008
United States2556 Posts
October 10 2013 06:52 GMT
#287
On October 06 2013 06:24 BugRoger wrote:
I was having problems getting the Medivacs out in time for the 11:30 benchmarks. Turns out I was starting Marauders too early and spending too much on some extra Widow Mines. I found out by modelling the build in sc2planner. Maybe it's useful for someone else too:

SC2Planner - 4M - Reaper FE, Reactor Helions, 3rd CC


The modern trends are to forgo marauders unless you feel they are needed in response to some kind of aggression from the Zerg that hits before you have medivacs and +1/+1. The same is true for mines. The post above yours that previews the soon to be finished FAQ for the guide outlines the most modern version of the build order which uses the factory to make reactors for barracks and starport once the first 6 hellions are done. With that version of the build, it is very easy to have 16 marines, stim, combat shields, and 2 medivacs by the 11:30 benchmark and you should be able to hit 130+ food if you opened CC first and suffered no setbacks.
Aunvilgod
Profile Joined December 2011
2653 Posts
October 17 2013 10:51 GMT
#288
Did you already talk about mixing in Thors? If not, what do you think about them? They seem to have become quite standard in the matchup lately.
ilovegroov | Blizzards mapmaker(s?) suck ass | #1 Protoss hater
vaderseven
Profile Joined September 2008
United States2556 Posts
October 18 2013 03:42 GMT
#289
On October 17 2013 19:51 Aunvilgod wrote:
Did you already talk about mixing in Thors? If not, what do you think about them? They seem to have become quite standard in the matchup lately.


Thors do not really combine well with the 4M style. I think they do not fit very well with the mobile and replaceable nature of the 4M army. If you have seen some professional games with Thors being added to 4M games then post them up as I haven't seen them yet (but I do work alot right now so I don't get to watch every game atm).
PinheadXXXXXX
Profile Joined February 2012
United States897 Posts
October 18 2013 05:30 GMT
#290
On October 18 2013 12:42 vaderseven wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 17 2013 19:51 Aunvilgod wrote:
Did you already talk about mixing in Thors? If not, what do you think about them? They seem to have become quite standard in the matchup lately.


Thors do not really combine well with the 4M style. I think they do not fit very well with the mobile and replaceable nature of the 4M army. If you have seen some professional games with Thors being added to 4M games then post them up as I haven't seen them yet (but I do work alot right now so I don't get to watch every game atm).

I've seen thors added to a lot of 4M games where zerg goes for upwards of 30 mutas, but the most interesting use I can remember is Hyvaa vs. Gumiho in the most recent GSTL match, where Gumiho made somewhere around 7 thors in combination with MMM (no mines) when Hyvaa transitioned into an ultra-based army.
Taeja the one true Byunjwa~
vaderseven
Profile Joined September 2008
United States2556 Posts
October 18 2013 06:24 GMT
#291
On October 18 2013 14:30 PinheadXXXXXX wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 18 2013 12:42 vaderseven wrote:
On October 17 2013 19:51 Aunvilgod wrote:
Did you already talk about mixing in Thors? If not, what do you think about them? They seem to have become quite standard in the matchup lately.


Thors do not really combine well with the 4M style. I think they do not fit very well with the mobile and replaceable nature of the 4M army. If you have seen some professional games with Thors being added to 4M games then post them up as I haven't seen them yet (but I do work alot right now so I don't get to watch every game atm).

I've seen thors added to a lot of 4M games where zerg goes for upwards of 30 mutas, but the most interesting use I can remember is Hyvaa vs. Gumiho in the most recent GSTL match, where Gumiho made somewhere around 7 thors in combination with MMM (no mines) when Hyvaa transitioned into an ultra-based army.


I will look into it but in that game in particular it bears mentioning that was not a 4M game, not a 4M transition and not a 4M game plan for later stages.

But if there is 4M games with thors im looking into it asap!
terrantosaur
Profile Joined August 2011
42 Posts
October 18 2013 20:19 GMT
#292
I have a question re something that I don't think is adequately dealt with in the (otherwise excellent) guide. What is the correct response to a zerg that goes pool before hatch and takes gas (zerg could even go gas/pool/hatch in that order)? Especially if you open CC first (high ground or low ground) the issue is that, even if you scout with the SCV that makes the first supply depot, you are floating nearly 400 minerals by the time you see no hatch. ie you can't really decide not to go CC first at this point, you have to stick with it even though it can get quite hairy.

You don't know whether he's going speedlings/banelings/roaches. So a decision is needed about where you build the bunker. Is it correct to build it on the low ground (say close to the ramp between the main & natural); or do you build it at the entrance to your main (and presumably lift the 2nd CC back into your main somewhere)? I think I'm right in saying that you can have about 6 roaches turning up at around 5.50... at which point you could have 2 marines in a bunker and not much more... I could probably dig out a few replays if necessary but I wondered whether there was a "correct" response eg just turtle in your main with a bunker at the entrance....

Simon
JonIrenicus
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
Italy602 Posts
October 28 2013 08:52 GMT
#293
--- Nuked ---
Aunvilgod
Profile Joined December 2011
2653 Posts
October 28 2013 09:33 GMT
#294
On October 18 2013 15:24 vaderseven wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 18 2013 14:30 PinheadXXXXXX wrote:
On October 18 2013 12:42 vaderseven wrote:
On October 17 2013 19:51 Aunvilgod wrote:
Did you already talk about mixing in Thors? If not, what do you think about them? They seem to have become quite standard in the matchup lately.


Thors do not really combine well with the 4M style. I think they do not fit very well with the mobile and replaceable nature of the 4M army. If you have seen some professional games with Thors being added to 4M games then post them up as I haven't seen them yet (but I do work alot right now so I don't get to watch every game atm).

I've seen thors added to a lot of 4M games where zerg goes for upwards of 30 mutas, but the most interesting use I can remember is Hyvaa vs. Gumiho in the most recent GSTL match, where Gumiho made somewhere around 7 thors in combination with MMM (no mines) when Hyvaa transitioned into an ultra-based army.


I will look into it but in that game in particular it bears mentioning that was not a 4M game, not a 4M transition and not a 4M game plan for later stages.

But if there is 4M games with thors im looking into it asap!


I think in one of the MMA vs Jaedong games just in the Season 3 Finals MMA used a thor.
ilovegroov | Blizzards mapmaker(s?) suck ass | #1 Protoss hater
vaderseven
Profile Joined September 2008
United States2556 Posts
October 28 2013 13:45 GMT
#295
On October 28 2013 17:52 JonIrenicus wrote:
question: is there an equivalent guide for tvp?

Not yet.

That's my current project. Gonna take a bit of time though so don't hold your breath. I would predict a January release maybe?
terrantosaur
Profile Joined August 2011
42 Posts
October 28 2013 17:33 GMT
#296
Thanks for these guides. They are excellent.

I have a question about early game aggression from the zerg (which is similar to the (unanswered) question I posted on the first of these guides recently.

Let's say the terran goes CC first (high ground or low ground) but scouts the zerg early. The terran scouts hatch first from the zerg but then early gas thereafter. I believe the correct response is to make sure you've walled off your natural by just before 6 mins in order to prevent a speedling rush from surrounding your bunker and killing it...

However... if the zerg is actually going for a v quick baneling bust, is it actually correct to wall in? I find that the timing of the first hellions is v close to the arrival of the banelings so you get very little warning this is coming. You could scan and hope to see whether the zerg took extra gas after the 100 for speed but, unless you see the baneling nest, you don't know what the extra gas is for. The issue I find is that, if it is the baneling bust, it will almost always kill the bunker and, although you can pull your hellions back to your main and evacuate the scvs from your natural (if you are quick), the zerg has completely free rein over the supply depot wall. ie they get to kill 4 supply depots for nothing - which, even if they do no other damage (which they will), is terrible for the terran (even if the terran is good enough not to get supply blocked).

It got me thinking that perhaps there is a way I don't know to tell whether it is the speedling rush or a baneling bust?

Aunvilgod
Profile Joined December 2011
2653 Posts
November 01 2013 19:40 GMT
#297
Any updates on the Thors perhaps?
ilovegroov | Blizzards mapmaker(s?) suck ass | #1 Protoss hater
wag_
Profile Joined February 2013
88 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-11-02 01:58:49
November 02 2013 01:57 GMT
#298
Yes, big update on thors :

HeroMarine vs Ret (I don't remember which time it is)
http://www.twitch.tv/taketv/b/475235540

He made 2 thors and 2 widow mines at a time, thors were really usefull against mutalisks and even against ultralisks.

@vaderseven : A version of this guide on TvP would be the best thing ever! Good luck on that!
DaRKMaTT3r
Profile Joined November 2010
Brazil553 Posts
November 20 2013 23:29 GMT
#299
On October 18 2013 15:24 vaderseven wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 18 2013 14:30 PinheadXXXXXX wrote:
On October 18 2013 12:42 vaderseven wrote:
On October 17 2013 19:51 Aunvilgod wrote:
Did you already talk about mixing in Thors? If not, what do you think about them? They seem to have become quite standard in the matchup lately.


Thors do not really combine well with the 4M style. I think they do not fit very well with the mobile and replaceable nature of the 4M army. If you have seen some professional games with Thors being added to 4M games then post them up as I haven't seen them yet (but I do work alot right now so I don't get to watch every game atm).

I've seen thors added to a lot of 4M games where zerg goes for upwards of 30 mutas, but the most interesting use I can remember is Hyvaa vs. Gumiho in the most recent GSTL match, where Gumiho made somewhere around 7 thors in combination with MMM (no mines) when Hyvaa transitioned into an ultra-based army.


I will look into it but in that game in particular it bears mentioning that was not a 4M game, not a 4M transition and not a 4M game plan for later stages.

But if there is 4M games with thors im looking into it asap!


SKT1_Fantasy vs AZUBU_Sleep
http://www.gomtv.net/2013wcs3/vod/80936/?set=2
manicshock
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada741 Posts
November 21 2013 06:56 GMT
#300
So is this still reccomended with the recent tank buff and mine nerf? What's the current "best" style? I've seen both used, just mine style seems weaker. Most terrans seem to be adding tanks now and it's looking closer to WoL style TvZ.
Never argue with an idiot. They will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Prev 1 13 14 15 16 17 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 16m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 1461
910 96
Bale 30
ZergMaN 22
Aegong 20
Noble 12
yabsab 11
Icarus 7
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm176
Fuzer 77
League of Legends
JimRising 580
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King352
C9.Mang0158
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1311
Other Games
summit1g8276
PiGStarcraft448
ceh9212
Sick177
ArmadaUGS139
Livibee100
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick579
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream256
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• LUISG 0
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2301
League of Legends
• Rush1468
• Lourlo1287
• Stunt448
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
3h 16m
OSC
6h 16m
Stellar Fest
6h 16m
OSC
17h 16m
Stellar Fest
1d 6h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.