• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:11
CEST 04:11
KST 11:11
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)54Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7087 users

4M: A Guide to Modern TvZ - Page 12

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
320 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 14 17 Next All
r1flEx
Profile Joined October 2012
Belgium256 Posts
August 18 2013 23:17 GMT
#221
imo, terrans need a tvp guide since no terran really dominates in that matchup

but great job on the guide!
vaderseven
Profile Joined September 2008
United States2556 Posts
August 19 2013 01:54 GMT
#222
On August 19 2013 08:17 r1flEx wrote:
imo, terrans need a tvp guide since no terran really dominates in that matchup

but great job on the guide!


Sadly, the writer of this guide needs better inspiration from the pro scene in order to write a guide of the same caliber as this one.

FYI Everyone, the first followup article to the guide has just started. Lets see how long it takes me to get it 100% done, edited by the TL Strat peeps, and posted.
SideAffect
Profile Joined April 2012
Canada30 Posts
August 19 2013 03:14 GMT
#223
Thanks for writing this vaderseven! Now there's 1 terran match up I'm not clueless about.
"Let us celebrate our new arrangement with the adding of chocolate to milk" - Homer Simpson
Reasonable
Profile Joined September 2010
Ukraine1432 Posts
August 19 2013 06:38 GMT
#224
Like they needed any more help to kill the zerg with this.
MasterDrone
Profile Joined January 2013
France50 Posts
August 19 2013 09:49 GMT
#225
Well, it's 5M: 4M + Mules
vaderseven
Profile Joined September 2008
United States2556 Posts
August 19 2013 13:20 GMT
#226
On August 19 2013 18:49 MasterDrone wrote:
Well, it's 5M: 4M + Mules

If we didn't already have an amazing banner that features the most evil looking medivac ever imagined I would change the name to 5M as your point is valid.
5p4z3n3k0
Profile Joined January 2013
Netherlands19 Posts
August 19 2013 14:05 GMT
#227
As a Terran I don't think we needed the TvZ guide. Seen it, Done it, Won it. I would still like to thank the TL staff for finaly putting out something Terran. Thanks!!!, as always you did a great job. Very analytical, and a lot of visual aids

( Also a special thanks to Monk for showing up everywere!! you rule bro! )

On the flipside, I would have liked to see a TvP guide, as (most) Terrans struggle against late game Protoss.
Don't wake me! I'm working...
Dreamer.T
Profile Joined December 2009
United States3584 Posts
August 19 2013 14:49 GMT
#228
GG Terrans op now on B.net. This guide pretty much covered all that is TvZ! Great writeup!
Forever the best, IMMvp <3
Prime Directive
Profile Joined December 2011
United States186 Posts
August 19 2013 16:58 GMT
#229
On August 17 2013 09:14 vaderseven wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 17 2013 08:43 U_G_L_Y wrote:
QUESTION:

The guide mentions getting two widow mines after the first 6 hellions. Then what? Are people generally making their starport on the factory's reactor or do they continue making constant widow mines? Does anyone have strong opinions on this or is it just a style choice? I had been trying both before this guide and I really don't know which is better...

What are your thoughts?


It varries a lot. Some use the factory to make add one for raxes and others slam out more mines. I'll include more info on that in the first update. Very good question.


I'd also like to understand this more. I struggle with how many mines should be incorporated into the 11:30 push and whether I should be churning them out of the factory after the hellions or waiting a bit while I get other tech up. Anyone want to share their experiences?
Maler
Profile Joined December 2011
Denmark5 Posts
August 19 2013 22:14 GMT
#230
As a terran player that never played bio or bio/mine i must say. After trying this, i think my meching days are over
In tanks we trust
vaderseven
Profile Joined September 2008
United States2556 Posts
August 20 2013 00:55 GMT
#231
On August 20 2013 01:58 Prime Directive wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 17 2013 09:14 vaderseven wrote:
On August 17 2013 08:43 U_G_L_Y wrote:
QUESTION:

The guide mentions getting two widow mines after the first 6 hellions. Then what? Are people generally making their starport on the factory's reactor or do they continue making constant widow mines? Does anyone have strong opinions on this or is it just a style choice? I had been trying both before this guide and I really don't know which is better...

What are your thoughts?


It varries a lot. Some use the factory to make add one for raxes and others slam out more mines. I'll include more info on that in the first update. Very good question.


I'd also like to understand this more. I struggle with how many mines should be incorporated into the 11:30 push and whether I should be churning them out of the factory after the hellions or waiting a bit while I get other tech up. Anyone want to share their experiences?


A simple answer is that very few are needed during the pre 2/2 phase. Marines are the most important to mass at that time. Keep in mind keeping the alive is extremely important too. Keeping them alive is why you have meds and mines at that time.
Nibbler89
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
884 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-08-20 03:02:20
August 20 2013 03:01 GMT
#232
On August 20 2013 09:55 vaderseven wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 20 2013 01:58 Prime Directive wrote:
On August 17 2013 09:14 vaderseven wrote:
On August 17 2013 08:43 U_G_L_Y wrote:
QUESTION:

The guide mentions getting two widow mines after the first 6 hellions. Then what? Are people generally making their starport on the factory's reactor or do they continue making constant widow mines? Does anyone have strong opinions on this or is it just a style choice? I had been trying both before this guide and I really don't know which is better...

What are your thoughts?


It varries a lot. Some use the factory to make add one for raxes and others slam out more mines. I'll include more info on that in the first update. Very good question.


I'd also like to understand this more. I struggle with how many mines should be incorporated into the 11:30 push and whether I should be churning them out of the factory after the hellions or waiting a bit while I get other tech up. Anyone want to share their experiences?


A simple answer is that very few are needed during the pre 2/2 phase. Marines are the most important to mass at that time. Keep in mind keeping the alive is extremely important too. Keeping them alive is why you have meds and mines at that time.

yeah I was actually a bit confused that it always stated 2 widow mines after 6 hellions. The way I learned it from vods was after 6 hellion you lift factory and make another reactor while adding 2 more rax (onto the new open reactor and the other next to where you are making your next reactor. After that the factory makes another reactor which is when you put down your starport, then another reactor to start making widow mine. Maybe those were older matches though, If you don't make those 2 widow mines your first push with medivacs wont have them so I guess thats why.
Nightsz
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Canada398 Posts
August 20 2013 04:04 GMT
#233
wtf....it says to do a 11:30 1/1 timing, but by then I have like 10 marines.. WTF? Am I doing something wrong
AyaaLa
Profile Joined February 2012
Spain629 Posts
August 20 2013 04:08 GMT
#234
I still only have 50% winrate in TvZ what am i dong wrong
i balance whine all the time.
AsTaroTh
Profile Joined March 2006
Germany3 Posts
August 20 2013 10:37 GMT
#235
really awesome.. thx so much for this... looking forward to more... especially guides for tvp and tvt
DjayEl
Profile Joined August 2010
France252 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-08-20 11:11:53
August 20 2013 11:08 GMT
#236
On August 20 2013 13:08 AyaaLa wrote:
I still only have 50% winrate in TvZ what am i dong wrong


Use your second hand.



Btw, this guide is a blessing for all Zerg players by making "official" the strongest form of Terran play, as it is clear it will only make the incoming WM nerf quicker, so thank you very much for this.
lolfail9001
Profile Joined August 2013
Russian Federation40190 Posts
August 20 2013 11:15 GMT
#237
On August 20 2013 20:08 DjayEl wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 20 2013 13:08 AyaaLa wrote:
I still only have 50% winrate in TvZ what am i dong wrong


Use your second hand.



Btw, this guide is a blessing for all Zerg players by making "official" the strongest form of Terran play, as it is clear it will only make the incoming WM nerf quicker, so thank you very much for this.

I still think that WM nerf won't come. More likely another queen buff level of buff :D
DeMoN pulls off a Miracle and Flies to the Moon
xxxKagexxx
Profile Joined August 2012
France43 Posts
August 20 2013 20:37 GMT
#238
thx great guide, good work !
skatbone
Profile Joined August 2010
United States1005 Posts
August 20 2013 23:25 GMT
#239
On August 19 2013 01:12 Big J wrote:
uh.... I hope many Terrans read this and do the mass tank vs roach/hydra. It's the only way to lose in the lategame against a roach/hydra based army, because once vipers are out, zerg just wins the deathball engagement.


Yea, I have struggled versus this from turtle-zergs who go slow 3-base roach-hydra into roach-hydra viper.

I'm only playing at high plat but the conclusion I've come to is that half a dozen tanks will enable me to hold my third. Beyond that, the tanks become expendable assuming I drop enough tech-lab rax as 3/3 raduers shred roach-hydra and counter ultras.

The difficulty I have against roach-hydra has been less the addition of vipers and more the ineffectiveness of marines in the mid-game.

Any others thoughts on this from any higher level players?

tl;dr The tanks become expendable once I have enough production to remax on rauder/rine/medi. A higher ratio of 3/3 marauder to marine does wonders versus roach/hydra but I need tanks to take and hold a third while I am getting my upgrades and additional rax.
Mercurial#1193
vaderseven
Profile Joined September 2008
United States2556 Posts
August 21 2013 02:17 GMT
#240
On August 21 2013 08:25 skatbone wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 19 2013 01:12 Big J wrote:
uh.... I hope many Terrans read this and do the mass tank vs roach/hydra. It's the only way to lose in the lategame against a roach/hydra based army, because once vipers are out, zerg just wins the deathball engagement.


Yea, I have struggled versus this from turtle-zergs who go slow 3-base roach-hydra into roach-hydra viper.

I'm only playing at high plat but the conclusion I've come to is that half a dozen tanks will enable me to hold my third. Beyond that, the tanks become expendable assuming I drop enough tech-lab rax as 3/3 raduers shred roach-hydra and counter ultras.

The difficulty I have against roach-hydra has been less the addition of vipers and more the ineffectiveness of marines in the mid-game.

Any others thoughts on this from any higher level players?

tl;dr The tanks become expendable once I have enough production to remax on rauder/rine/medi. A higher ratio of 3/3 marauder to marine does wonders versus roach/hydra but I need tanks to take and hold a third while I am getting my upgrades and additional rax.


Tanks are not good vs hive tech units. Tanks are good at killing lair tech armies.

The goal is not to fight against vipers, it is to get as many tanks as possible and hit at the last second before they get to that hive level. At that time, they have invested in tech that has not paid off yet AND they are on the unit comp that is very cost ineffective vs yours.

Macro very well and hit a timing at around 170 food with 6-8 tanks, if he is playing a standard well macro'd hydra roach style he will be trying to go hive and get vipers around then. I would make sure you are VERY aware of his hive timing. You want to be hitting while the hive is being made. If he stays on Lair for even longer and delays the hive a bit, you can sit back and wait for him to start the hive.

Saying half a dozen tanks is enough to hold your third and then talking about hive tech units indicates to me that you are even feeling this timing in action but not using it correctly. Just keep in mind that 6-8 tanks (and a well macro'd bio army with it) can actually destroy almost any roach based composition that lacks hive units. Abuse that fact and the fact that teching to hive already opens a timing window when alot of resources are being used on things that do not quickly provide a more powerful army right at the time of spending.

IN A NUTSHELL: Tanks are good at defending the early mid game aggression of roach/hydra and they scale perfectly into punishing that unit composition as the enemy transitions into to the counter to tank based play. Usually the timing to hit to accomplish that pre hive attack is around 170 food and/or 6-8 tanks. The timing is really determined by the zerg, though, so you must ensure that you are scouting for his hive timing and base the attack upon that.
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 14 17 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
00:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
CranKy Ducklings95
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
NeuroSwarm 156
RuFF_SC2 137
ProTech122
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 13931
Rain 2245
Shuttle 608
Artosis 575
NaDa 30
Bale 29
League of Legends
Doublelift3844
Counter-Strike
taco 357
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox801
Mew2King87
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor947
Other Games
summit1g8826
Day[9].tv709
JimRising 644
PiGStarcraft339
C9.Mang0308
ArmadaUGS66
ViBE57
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV285
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream83
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 128
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP94
• Letter143
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Scarra780
• Day9tv709
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
10h 49m
OSC
19h 49m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 7h
Online Event
1d 8h
FEL
1d 13h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 14h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 16h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.