• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:04
CEST 01:04
KST 08:04
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War665.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
ESL Pro Tour for SC2 discontinued [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development 5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR?
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 547 Temple Of Terror Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War BW General Discussion Ziemie's Starcraft 1 Prequel Campaign Mineral Boosting (2 workers/patch) Sagi.gg Launcher Released
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
The Link Between Gaming and …
TrAiDoS
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 13208 users

[G] HTOMario's Understanding TvP mech. - Page 6

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All
HTOMario
Profile Blog Joined March 2012
United States439 Posts
March 26 2013 05:26 GMT
#101
On March 26 2013 11:19 ThisisRaider wrote:
Really nice, I played some games after watching some of your vods. I won most of my games, only one game was less than 30 minutes, (all TvP) where it was close spawns and I decided to do a 1/1 upgrade all in.

I dont mind bio, maybe im bad but, I dont feel good when the game lasts past 25 minutes in a TvP whilst im bio. So gratz and thank you. HotS kicking ass.


I've noticed most of my games are past the 30 minute mark, I must admit it makes for long but epic games once we get there because resource hunting isn't as much of an issue it's all about the fights.
GM Mech T
Genesis_443
Profile Joined December 2012
Scotland52 Posts
March 26 2013 08:49 GMT
#102
Wow, won my first "proper" TvP mech game last night! Widow mine/hellbat/thor is one tough composition :D
Taefox
Profile Joined March 2010
1533 Posts
March 26 2013 14:06 GMT
#103
What could I do if harassment don't work against Protoss ?
@taefoxy
Genesis_443
Profile Joined December 2012
Scotland52 Posts
March 26 2013 14:13 GMT
#104
On March 26 2013 23:06 Porishan wrote:
What could I do if harassment don't work against Protoss ?


Your ravens should at least be able to get a few probe kills if you play it well enough, whether with seeker missiles or auto turrets. Widow mine drops and hellbat drops at the correct times can also be effective.
Ayaz2810
Profile Joined September 2011
United States2763 Posts
March 26 2013 14:32 GMT
#105
Mario, I just wanna say that I really appreciate your videos! Even more so because you explain not just what you're doing, but WHY you're doing it. That is awesome. Thanks!!
Vrtra Vanquisher/Tiamat Trouncer/World Serpent Slayer
allqwdd
Profile Joined June 2011
Taiwan10 Posts
March 27 2013 11:42 GMT
#106
Hi there
I am Terran player from Taiwan.
Can I translate this awesome articles into Chinese?
Never use mech in TvP trying to learn from you!
Chronos.
Profile Joined February 2012
United States805 Posts
March 27 2013 12:27 GMT
#107
I don't play Terran, but these mech games are so fun to watch! Hope pro players start trying these compositions in tournaments when HotS is a bit more developed.
ThisisRaider
Profile Joined March 2011
Namibia153 Posts
March 27 2013 19:32 GMT
#108
I just got promoted back to diamond (as I was in WOL) after beating a consistent master protoss with mario style mech.
I think he could have won, the fights were really close, but he was too eager to end the game / kill me. Maybe he thought I would not remax as fast as him or something.

I still think he was better than me and could have beaten me if he was more patient.

Mr mario, do I want ghosts AND raven, or just one of the two at a time?

Yes this is a semi pride post. xD
They should really enable you to upload replays directly on TL.

http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/replays.php?game=33&show=details&id=280233
Blueflame helions is not a good choice unless you go mech (which is not a good choice).
HTOMario
Profile Blog Joined March 2012
United States439 Posts
March 28 2013 03:03 GMT
#109
On March 27 2013 20:42 allqwdd wrote:
Hi there
I am Terran player from Taiwan.
Can I translate this awesome articles into Chinese?
Never use mech in TvP trying to learn from you!


That's fine
GM Mech T
Mali__Slon
Profile Joined October 2010
Senegal163 Posts
March 28 2013 12:52 GMT
#110
What is good composition when facing army consisting mostly of stalkers, 3 - 4 collosi, 4 - 5 immortals, and 3-4 voidrays? I have faced this composition a few times and lost, i would like to know what comp should i be going for?
Qikz
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
United Kingdom12061 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-28 13:09:24
March 28 2013 13:09 GMT
#111
On March 28 2013 21:52 Mali__Slon wrote:
What is good composition when facing army consisting mostly of stalkers, 3 - 4 collosi, 4 - 5 immortals, and 3-4 voidrays? I have faced this composition a few times and lost, i would like to know what comp should i be going for?


I know I'm not Mario, but to me it sounds like you need tank/hellbat/viking/(turrets if you're in a defensive position or going for a slow push) for that situation and if it's later in the game a few ghosts. That's what I usually go for against that sort of comp atleast. Works out for me.
FanTaSy's #1 Fan | STPL Caster/Organiser | SKT BEST KT | https://twitch.tv/stpl
HTOMario
Profile Blog Joined March 2012
United States439 Posts
March 28 2013 14:37 GMT
#112
On March 28 2013 22:09 Qikz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 28 2013 21:52 Mali__Slon wrote:
What is good composition when facing army consisting mostly of stalkers, 3 - 4 collosi, 4 - 5 immortals, and 3-4 voidrays? I have faced this composition a few times and lost, i would like to know what comp should i be going for?


I know I'm not Mario, but to me it sounds like you need tank/hellbat/viking/(turrets if you're in a defensive position or going for a slow push) for that situation and if it's later in the game a few ghosts. That's what I usually go for against that sort of comp atleast. Works out for me.


Going with hellbat thor raven and vikings would do really well against this, hunter seeker can take out shields on immortals and PDD can stop stalkers attack out right.
GM Mech T
Blamajama
Profile Joined September 2010
156 Posts
March 28 2013 16:07 GMT
#113
How do you counter tempests when his stalkers are sitting under them and already eats my PDD energy from stalker/tempest shots? I don't want to be too agressive with my Raven because he may get fed back or picked off by a blinked stalker group. I also do not want to advance my mech off the high ground and give up position. So how do I pick him off? I keep having to waste my PDD with tempest play. What else can I incorporate?
HTOMario
Profile Blog Joined March 2012
United States439 Posts
March 28 2013 16:20 GMT
#114
On March 29 2013 01:07 Blamajama wrote:
How do you counter tempests when his stalkers are sitting under them and already eats my PDD energy from stalker/tempest shots? I don't want to be too agressive with my Raven because he may get fed back or picked off by a blinked stalker group. I also do not want to advance my mech off the high ground and give up position. So how do I pick him off? I keep having to waste my PDD with tempest play. What else can I incorporate?


Thors are great against stalkers, throw in a few hellbats and go viking / raven with them. This should walk over his army. Be sure to be in high impact mode.
GM Mech T
Blamajama
Profile Joined September 2010
156 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-28 17:30:33
March 28 2013 17:26 GMT
#115
So Thor is better than tanks against blink stalker? Tank AoE tends to be more effective I thought. Plus more range ground to ground. I definitely have a few Thors mixed in, but I don't think cutting tanks out completely (depending on the map) is good enough. I just think the Tempest composition with Stalker/immortal seems to decimate mech. This guy was going more collossi though I still lost.

Don't get me wrong, mech is still decent. I lost the game I'm talking about because I did not have enough production facilities to remax while the toss insta-warped a near maxed army after the first major exchange, which could have been better on my end.

I still think Toss has an edge against mech play.
Garmer
Profile Joined October 2010
1286 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-28 20:38:10
March 28 2013 17:45 GMT
#116
i hate how terran doesn't have any good unit with good anti-air, thor suck, i want my goliath back!
ThisisRaider
Profile Joined March 2011
Namibia153 Posts
March 28 2013 18:01 GMT
#117
I personaly think that toss has no more of and advantage against mech than against bio, its harder to out right kill the tosser, but the same goes for him killing you. It sucks that you cant snipe tech with as much ease, but you still kill workers (faster than bio even)

Obviously it will also take quite a while to learn all the basics like it took when you 1st picked up Terran.

Also siege tanks late game are bad against almost everything TvP. Im sure everyone who plays mech loves siege tanks, Siege tanks are great defencive units, but it had its place and fullfilled its role, kinda like sentries, maybe even stalkers.
Blueflame helions is not a good choice unless you go mech (which is not a good choice).
JohnGreggor
Profile Joined March 2010
Canada148 Posts
March 28 2013 20:32 GMT
#118
Do you mind posting your openings for tvz and tvt? I love this style so I'm using it in every matchup to practice as I climb, but as soon as I run into a competent zerg or a 8/8/8 terran I know I'll get destroyed immediately. Thanks.
Snoodles
Profile Joined March 2012
401 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-28 21:22:31
March 28 2013 20:50 GMT
#119
Hey Mario, what are the signs of a mass overlord roach drop? How do you hold it? I tried a mech build today, hellion/hellbat thor tank and had turrets all over but the zerg went ahead and roach dropped anyway.
Genesis_443
Profile Joined December 2012
Scotland52 Posts
March 28 2013 21:23 GMT
#120
On March 29 2013 05:50 Snoodles wrote:
Hey Mario, what are the signs of a mass overlord roach drop? How do you hold it?


Lot's of overlords in the one spot, with good map control it should be relatively easy to spot something like this and prepare. As for defending it, widow mines should be able to shot down several of the overlords before they even get the chance to drop their units, or you can hold them back for when the drop happens then burrow them to hit the roaches. Other than that, I am not sure. The times I have held it it's because I used a little medivac/tank micro to save some and get the tanks onto high ground to siege up and be protected by turrets.
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
The QMC Showmatch 1
OSC
08:00
Masters Cup #151: Group A
Liquipedia
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #3
ZZZero.O131
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 10435
Artosis 618
ZZZero.O 131
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm163
League of Legends
Doublelift5516
JimRising 105
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4160
Other Games
summit1g9701
FrodaN2493
Liquid`RaSZi1943
C9.Mang0367
ToD227
Livibee197
Pyrionflax97
Maynarde95
ArmadaUGS39
Mew2King37
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1143
StarCraft 2
CranKy Ducklings16
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 132
• musti20045 41
• Sammyuel 24
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP10
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1474
• Shiphtur624
• Scarra576
Upcoming Events
OSC
12h 56m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 11h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.