• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:39
CEST 17:39
KST 00:39
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament Rollback Netcode in Brood War BW General Discussion TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8458 users

[G] HTOMario's Understanding TvP mech. - Page 8

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 Next All
Juice!
Profile Joined January 2011
Belgium295 Posts
April 06 2013 11:29 GMT
#141
What do you do against (proxy) stargate in 2-3 oracles?
That just wrecked me :/
Second place is just a fancy term for loser
HTOMario
Profile Blog Joined March 2012
United States439 Posts
April 06 2013 13:07 GMT
#142
On April 06 2013 20:29 Juice! wrote:
What do you do against (proxy) stargate in 2-3 oracles?
That just wrecked me :/


if I know it's there I geting 2-3 widow mines at my front with a turret in my mineral line, I also get 1 viking and then go for medivacs for my reactor marines. Then I starting throwing in tanks and a raven.
GM Mech T
Mellon
Profile Joined October 2010
Sweden917 Posts
April 06 2013 13:22 GMT
#143
On April 06 2013 20:29 Juice! wrote:
What do you do against (proxy) stargate in 2-3 oracles?
That just wrecked me :/


If you can scout the proxy it should be a freewin, it's a huge invest for toss. If you open with gas and spend first gas on fact go mines into turrets. If you open gasless pump alot of marines and add turrets in both main and nat, don't be greedy, add as many as u need to be safe.
Vindicare605
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States16126 Posts
April 06 2013 13:35 GMT
#144
Mario as a general rule of thumb when should I take my natural?

I noticed in your first video you take your natural after your 1-1-1 is up. That was likely due to the scouting of a second gas, but is that always the case? Should I always delay my CC until after my factory is done?
aka: KTVindicare the Geeky Bartender
HTOMario
Profile Blog Joined March 2012
United States439 Posts
April 06 2013 14:34 GMT
#145
On April 06 2013 22:35 Vindicare605 wrote:
Mario as a general rule of thumb when should I take my natural?

I noticed in your first video you take your natural after your 1-1-1 is up. That was likely due to the scouting of a second gas, but is that always the case? Should I always delay my CC until after my factory is done?



I move down to my natural only when I feel it's safe to do so. I don't want to stretch myself too thin. I'd rather stay in my base another minute then risk being over run.

Also,
Update: More examples of TvP Mech.



GM Mech T
larse
Profile Blog Joined March 2012
1611 Posts
April 08 2013 02:30 GMT
#146
After watching SPL for the last two days, I was so disappointed that none of the BW pros even tried to use mech. There have been zero mech tvp in all major tournaments since HOTS. I have to come here to find some comforts Thanks again man.

Have you found out the more stable TvP composition that needs the least transitions?
VoidRender
Profile Joined March 2012
United States8 Posts
April 08 2013 07:54 GMT
#147
On April 08 2013 11:30 larse wrote:
After watching SPL for the last two days, I was so disappointed that none of the BW pros even tried to use mech. There have been zero mech tvp in all major tournaments since HOTS. I have to come here to find some comforts Thanks again man.

Have you found out the more stable TvP composition that needs the least transitions?


Actually, Taeja vs Sase on Neo Planet S(MLG Winter Championship) Taeja does the 15 gas opener and transitions into a hellbat drop after the mine drop. he was getting +1 attack for mech when Sase killed him. Sase derailed the mech train
codonbyte
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States840 Posts
April 08 2013 16:18 GMT
#148
On April 08 2013 11:30 larse wrote:
After watching SPL for the last two days, I was so disappointed that none of the BW pros even tried to use mech. There have been zero mech tvp in all major tournaments since HOTS. I have to come here to find some comforts Thanks again man.

Have you found out the more stable TvP composition that needs the least transitions?

I think bio is just more figured-out than mech. Mech is still very new, and I guess players are just more comfortable going with the tried and true strats in tournaments. Three cheers to Mario, Avilo, and all the other players who are paving new ground by daring to play mech vs Protoss.
Procrastination is the enemy
Juice!
Profile Joined January 2011
Belgium295 Posts
April 08 2013 16:57 GMT
#149
i just did this, P started with mass blink into air ...

Was so easy hellbat tank into thor viking ♥

Love this build!

also held a proxy stargate (oracle) with it !

ty ty
Second place is just a fancy term for loser
larse
Profile Blog Joined March 2012
1611 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-21 20:33:45
April 21 2013 20:32 GMT
#150
The OP, HTOMario, played some awesome mech TvP games in WCS NA qualifiers today. Gotta hand it to him.

But I have to say, Nony adapts very well. Mech's weakness is shown so obviously in game 2.
Snoodles
Profile Joined March 2012
401 Posts
April 21 2013 20:36 GMT
#151
I'm watching game 3 now. go mario!
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
April 22 2013 05:48 GMT
#152
On April 08 2013 11:30 larse wrote:
After watching SPL for the last two days, I was so disappointed that none of the BW pros even tried to use mech. There have been zero mech tvp in all major tournaments since HOTS. I have to come here to find some comforts Thanks again man.

Have you found out the more stable TvP composition that needs the least transitions?


I feel you there, I feel like mech could be viable just nobody is trying it out at pro level at least in korea. I know some EU terrans are doing it (and did at WCS EU qualifiers). I hope some korean terrans start doing it as tvp is boring to me when it's bio
When I think of something else, something will go here
MockHamill
Profile Joined March 2010
Sweden1798 Posts
April 24 2013 12:05 GMT
#153
Up until recently I have only upgraded armour for my mech since I typically go Thor/Hellbat/Ghost. Recently I have figured out that I need double upgrades in order to better fight against Carriers and Void Rays.

So if you go double upgrades for mech when is it best to start upgrading? And should you go double upgrades immediatly or should you get the first attack or armous upgrade first, and then start the double upgrades when the first upgrade finishes?
Snowbear
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Korea (South)1925 Posts
April 24 2013 12:27 GMT
#154
On April 22 2013 14:48 blade55555 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 08 2013 11:30 larse wrote:
After watching SPL for the last two days, I was so disappointed that none of the BW pros even tried to use mech. There have been zero mech tvp in all major tournaments since HOTS. I have to come here to find some comforts Thanks again man.

Have you found out the more stable TvP composition that needs the least transitions?


I feel you there, I feel like mech could be viable just nobody is trying it out at pro level at least in korea. I know some EU terrans are doing it (and did at WCS EU qualifiers). I hope some korean terrans start doing it as tvp is boring to me when it's bio


The reasons why mech is so underused in tvp, can be found in the games between nony and HTOmario (WCS NA qualifier).

Mech IS viable when the terran can do a huge amount of damage with hellbat drops / hellion drops, but if the protoss defends well and plays it right, it's over.
Lyyna
Profile Joined June 2011
France776 Posts
April 24 2013 12:30 GMT
#155
On April 24 2013 21:05 MockHamill wrote:
Up until recently I have only upgraded armour for my mech since I typically go Thor/Hellbat/Ghost. Recently I have figured out that I need double upgrades in order to better fight against Carriers and Void Rays.

So if you go double upgrades for mech when is it best to start upgrading? And should you go double upgrades immediatly or should you get the first attack or armous upgrade first, and then start the double upgrades when the first upgrade finishes?

What i usually choose to do is :
-Both upprades with one armory (what i was doing in WoL in every TvP) : Usually when i open with some kind of fast Thor, i'll try to get 2-2 on 1 armory starting around 7 minutes, adding a second only to get air uppgrades (so around 15-20 minutes). Make sure you don't spend too much on uppgrades and can still get them early enough.
-1 early (8-9) armory, 1 uppgrade, then adding a second armory to get 2/1 (or 1/2, obviously) : Allows you to get good upgrades but without killing your economy/army production by making them too early. This is my favourite way in HOTS
-Double armory at the same time : the problem with that imo is that, if you made too early (and you need to start armories quite early for hellbats) your armories, you end up using too much for uppgrades, limiting your number of early factories/gas units, but if you make then too late, you'll realise going for 1 early and 1 later would have give you an as-big army as with late double armories, and you would also have earlier uppgrades until 2-2...
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-strategy/459600-how-to-mech-them-cry-lyynas-mech-in-hots - The 2014 Mech guide ! http://www.twitch.tv/lyyna for stream and contact infos
HTOMario
Profile Blog Joined March 2012
United States439 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-24 12:36:23
April 24 2013 12:35 GMT
#156
On April 24 2013 21:27 Snowbear wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 22 2013 14:48 blade55555 wrote:
On April 08 2013 11:30 larse wrote:
After watching SPL for the last two days, I was so disappointed that none of the BW pros even tried to use mech. There have been zero mech tvp in all major tournaments since HOTS. I have to come here to find some comforts Thanks again man.

Have you found out the more stable TvP composition that needs the least transitions?


I feel you there, I feel like mech could be viable just nobody is trying it out at pro level at least in korea. I know some EU terrans are doing it (and did at WCS EU qualifiers). I hope some korean terrans start doing it as tvp is boring to me when it's bio


The reasons why mech is so underused in tvp, can be found in the games between nony and HTOmario (WCS NA qualifier).

Mech IS viable when the terran can do a huge amount of damage with hellbat drops / hellion drops, but if the protoss defends well and plays it right, it's over.


That's not true. I made plenty of mistakes in game 2 and 3, however I think that if I tweaked some things I could have taken both games. My decision making wasn't the best.

The reason why it looked like nony abused me a little is only because nony is the superior player to me. He has years of facing against mech and I'm sure he has a pretty good memory from broodwar. I on the other hand don't have as much experience. The build order / timings for mech are also a work in progress. For a long time I thought I was the only one trying to mech and up until 2 weeks ago had no idea that there were others. My build orders could be more refined and my knowledge of how to play mech has grown a lot since i've discovered other players as well.

I, like many other terrans more and more. Believe that mech is strong and could easily become the standard playstyle. It just hasn't been tried and tested as much as bio and needs more time to be figured out.



Yes mech is stronger with drops, then again so is bio.
GM Mech T
Garmer
Profile Joined October 2010
1286 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-25 07:46:36
April 24 2013 15:47 GMT
#157
can you upload the replay vs nony, i really want to see it?
Sapphire.lux
Profile Joined July 2010
Romania2620 Posts
April 24 2013 16:03 GMT
#158
On April 24 2013 21:35 HTOMario wrote:
I, like many other terrans more and more. Believe that mech is strong and could easily become the standard playstyle. It just hasn't been tried and tested as much as bio and needs more time to be figured out.

Big words there! I hope you are right but i highly doubt it, especially with Blizzards strong bias for mmm.
Head Coach Park: "They should buff tanks!"
Snoodles
Profile Joined March 2012
401 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-24 17:26:22
April 24 2013 17:25 GMT
#159
Mario, what do you think of Lucifron's Thor drop against Happy twice in a row in WCS today? Is it too all-inny/gimmicky or is it a viable opener that shits on the current TvT meta game?

Game 1:


Game 2:
MockHamill
Profile Joined March 2010
Sweden1798 Posts
April 24 2013 19:43 GMT
#160
Anyone else finding it impossible to go Mech in TvT?

TvZ mechplay is easy, just go mass widow mine with tank and battlehellion support.
TvP mechplay is hard but doable as long as you do not let Protoss get a large air army.
TvT I find it is close to impossible to play mech. Both MMM and MMM+Tanks seem to be far better since the Medivac boost means he can drop you all game long.

You have to invest in mass turrets just to be able to leave you base, it is very hard to take your third without him either killing your third or your main. If you manage to build up enough tanks and widow mines to safetly secure both your third and your main he can can already be on 5 bases.

HTOMario, do you have some similiar instruction video on how to play mech in TvT?
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Patches Events
00:00
Patch Clash S1 Special #1
RotterdaM532
IndyStarCraft 0
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 532
Reynor 293
ByuN 224
TKL 193
Railgan 74
Codebar 53
BRAT_OK 38
IndyStarCraft 0
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 56084
Bisu 3060
Calm 2035
FanTaSy 1036
Stork 824
Rush 399
hero 362
firebathero 182
Snow 114
Sharp 107
[ Show more ]
actioN 102
Mind 57
Free 54
Sea.KH 54
Trap 37
ToSsGirL 36
Pusan 34
Mong 24
soO 23
Rock 22
Aegong 22
Sexy 20
Terrorterran 18
HiyA 17
Hm[arnc] 15
scan(afreeca) 10
Sacsri 9
Shine 9
Noble 9
IntoTheRainbow 8
Dota 2
Gorgc9179
Dendi1041
Counter-Strike
fl0m4802
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King100
Other Games
singsing2194
Liquid`RaSZi1475
B2W.Neo721
Beastyqt579
olofmeister557
Mlord492
Khaldor395
KnowMe300
crisheroes160
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV287
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 7
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FT.aCt)Sony5
• niya90s 2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV572
League of Legends
• Nemesis3064
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1639
Other Games
• Shiphtur4
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
3h 21m
BSL Open Qualifier
3h 21m
OSC
7h 21m
Replay Cast
7h 21m
OSC
20h 21m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 19h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.