• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:37
CEST 12:37
KST 19:37
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War615.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion TL Sidebar missing streams ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament Rollback Netcode in Brood War [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8154 users

[G] HTOMario's Understanding TvP mech. - Page 4

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All
HTOMario
Profile Blog Joined March 2012
United States439 Posts
February 19 2013 20:00 GMT
#61
On February 20 2013 03:44 Snusmumriken wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 20 2013 03:41 HTOMario wrote:
On February 20 2013 03:36 Snusmumriken wrote:
Cool build, will definately try. Is your "old" tvz mech build still viable?


It still works yes, I still use it from time to time. I've been preferring a really fast 3rd though,


ah okay. Any chance your going to update that guide soon as well?


It's possible after my next project, I don't want to stretch myself in different guides so much though.
GM Mech T
Assaulter
Profile Joined December 2010
Lithuania324 Posts
February 19 2013 20:17 GMT
#62
Thanks for keeping up the experiments with mech in hots, lots of respect for you man, keep going!
legend4411
Profile Joined June 2011
Canada21 Posts
February 20 2013 05:57 GMT
#63
On February 14 2013 13:27 iEchoic wrote:


Hi, I just want to say you are my idol and I love your guides so much.
SHODAN
Profile Joined November 2011
United Kingdom1162 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-20 06:07:55
February 20 2013 06:05 GMT
#64
On February 20 2013 03:09 HTOMario wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 20 2013 03:03 StarkHarrow wrote:
Well... I suppose you can see things like that Everlong, but still... Hellbat/Thor is a poor design...

Anyway, yeah, thanks for the effort Mario.

I was watching your past vids and saw a Hellbat/Tank/Viking army being used in TvP.
Was in the first game of your game from yesterday.

Willing to give a try to a non thor based army ? (couldn't watch more than this, so i don't know if you tried again...)


I'm currently working on a more brood war like style with more tanks. It will take time to work out the kinks though.


Looking forward to this! I'm trying hellbat/tank/mine as a core composition vs everything, not having much success :/
HTOMario
Profile Blog Joined March 2012
United States439 Posts
February 20 2013 06:20 GMT
#65
On February 20 2013 15:05 SHODAN wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 20 2013 03:09 HTOMario wrote:
On February 20 2013 03:03 StarkHarrow wrote:
Well... I suppose you can see things like that Everlong, but still... Hellbat/Thor is a poor design...

Anyway, yeah, thanks for the effort Mario.

I was watching your past vids and saw a Hellbat/Tank/Viking army being used in TvP.
Was in the first game of your game from yesterday.

Willing to give a try to a non thor based army ? (couldn't watch more than this, so i don't know if you tried again...)


I'm currently working on a more brood war like style with more tanks. It will take time to work out the kinks though.


Looking forward to this! I'm trying hellbat/tank/mine as a core composition vs everything, not having much success :/


I have found that 5 rax 1 starport seems to be the best amount of structure until they tech to air so far, still trying to balance the proper mix of units and find out when I need to change things up. I do like to add a few widow mines though.
GM Mech T
legend4411
Profile Joined June 2011
Canada21 Posts
February 24 2013 04:01 GMT
#66
Mario Could you upload some replays with the hellbats research? Thanks
HTOMario
Profile Blog Joined March 2012
United States439 Posts
March 02 2013 03:52 GMT
#67
On February 24 2013 13:01 legend4411 wrote:
Mario Could you upload some replays with the hellbats research? Thanks


Sorry I didn't see your response until now. It's a bit late to upload replays however I do have this.






These are all after the most recent patch.
GM Mech T
PXEnTei
Profile Blog Joined April 2012
United States209 Posts
March 02 2013 05:02 GMT
#68
Ive also been playing mech vs toss, but it would be nice to have non allin openers. ive just been 1-1-1 off 2 base, get up more base, then more gas, then upgrades then buildings, then units, then kill him
"Sue me, dickhead!" -Thor
Yokwe
Profile Joined December 2012
United States35 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-02 08:44:35
March 02 2013 08:43 GMT
#69
Thanks for this detailed post Mario, helped me a lot.

ALSO: I would appreciate someone experimenting with bio-mech in HotS. Standard Bio with maybe hellbats, thors, siege tanks, or widow mines mixed in?
"Pudding...wait for it....pops." - Bill Cosby
HTOMario
Profile Blog Joined March 2012
United States439 Posts
March 02 2013 16:22 GMT
#70
On March 02 2013 17:43 Yokwe wrote:
Thanks for this detailed post Mario, helped me a lot.

ALSO: I would appreciate someone experimenting with bio-mech in HotS. Standard Bio with maybe hellbats, thors, siege tanks, or widow mines mixed in?


I forgot which vod on my stream but there is at least 1 game where I go marauder hellbat ghost viking medivac and it works very efficiently.
GM Mech T
StratFive
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Canada19 Posts
March 03 2013 05:54 GMT
#71
On March 03 2013 01:22 HTOMario wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 02 2013 17:43 Yokwe wrote:
Thanks for this detailed post Mario, helped me a lot.

ALSO: I would appreciate someone experimenting with bio-mech in HotS. Standard Bio with maybe hellbats, thors, siege tanks, or widow mines mixed in?


I forgot which vod on my stream but there is at least 1 game where I go marauder hellbat ghost viking medivac and it works very efficiently.


I assume it's this game, very entertaining play Mario :D

Husky


HD
larse
Profile Blog Joined March 2012
1611 Posts
March 03 2013 07:49 GMT
#72
Long time big fan here. I really hope some pros will pick up your builds and use them in tournaments. But I think most likely they will play the TvP just like WoL, except some Kespa pros how have been obsessed with mech.
HTOMario
Profile Blog Joined March 2012
United States439 Posts
March 03 2013 15:51 GMT
#73
On March 03 2013 14:54 StratFive wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2013 01:22 HTOMario wrote:
On March 02 2013 17:43 Yokwe wrote:
Thanks for this detailed post Mario, helped me a lot.

ALSO: I would appreciate someone experimenting with bio-mech in HotS. Standard Bio with maybe hellbats, thors, siege tanks, or widow mines mixed in?


I forgot which vod on my stream but there is at least 1 game where I go marauder hellbat ghost viking medivac and it works very efficiently.


I assume it's this game, very entertaining play Mario :D

Husky
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1IDe-Dkukc

HD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njmBu5omgX8


Yeah that's the one ^^ Kind of neat they both casted it.
GM Mech T
HTOMario
Profile Blog Joined March 2012
United States439 Posts
March 23 2013 03:18 GMT
#74
Update:! I've updated the guide on 3/22/2013 for heart of the swarm mech. Please take a look over the new information and provide lots of feedback / discussion!
GM Mech T
intense555
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States474 Posts
March 23 2013 03:59 GMT
#75
Nice to see mech working against protoss, now its time to figure it out v zerg.
Aspiring Starcraft 2 pro for @mYinsanityEU, follow me on twitter @mYintenseSC
ThisisRaider
Profile Joined March 2011
Namibia153 Posts
March 23 2013 06:04 GMT
#76
I will watch some of these. Great work, mech resources are not plenty. I have to wing opening build orders and transitions.
Blueflame helions is not a good choice unless you go mech (which is not a good choice).
Candyman
Profile Joined December 2010
Sweden5 Posts
March 23 2013 12:55 GMT
#77
I really appreciate you taking the time to write this buide.
JonIrenicus
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
Italy602 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-23 14:05:26
March 23 2013 13:55 GMT
#78
--- Nuked ---
Qikz
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
United Kingdom12061 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-23 14:42:52
March 23 2013 14:40 GMT
#79
I mean, with Bio you can outplay them a lot. With mech, what do you do ?


You do realise you can outplay someone as mech too right? I'm not talking about just Mario's style, but there's plenty of tank based styles along with timing pushes that work vs toss and even going against Skytoss mech can actually win, sure you have to switch into skyterran to do it, but you still open/have a midgame of mech.

You can even do doom drop styles as mech, especially on maps where the bases are not completely on top of each other. If you can manage to drop and control their ramp with hellbats/mines while your tanks shell them/their production then you can win the game that way.

I'm really unsure if you're genuinly interested in mech or just bashing his post with points that so many people have made in the past (which most, as the beta have gone on have shown untrue). Tanks do not suck in TvP, they only really suck against immortals and archons which you get tanks/hellbats to deal with, or even thors depending on what style you're going for. You're making such blanket statements when to me it seems you've never even tried to learn the style here or your own mech style.

Mech works, sure no pros have shown it outside of the KoTH matches in the beta, but people are not instantly going to change a style they've been playing for 3 years already for a style they've barely practiced.
FanTaSy's #1 Fan | STPL Caster/Organiser | SKT BEST KT | https://twitch.tv/stpl
HTOMario
Profile Blog Joined March 2012
United States439 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-23 14:47:09
March 23 2013 14:46 GMT
#80
On March 23 2013 22:55 JonIrenicus wrote:
Hi HtoMario,

I don't want to sound polemic.

Why should I choose mech over Bio?

In the first videos I saw you were using the thor/hellbat composition, finding it very good, but that's not a mech composition. Mech should be centered around a tank army.

Tank, sadly, in sc2, sucks.
I saw that in the last replays you are more likely to add tanks , but still I would not make tanks , even if I was a fool.

I saw you are in Gm , and playing against protoss that don't even use air. Protoss haven't still understood that all they gotta do is mass a huge amount of sky ships and the game for the meching T is practically useless. I saw lot of your games, and people keep playing against your mech like if it was bio.

Well, would you call hellbat a meching unit? All they gotta add is just stim , so this will be definitely a 100% meching unit (irony).

Another thing I would dare to say: the fact that your opponents are so bad (people making stalkers against your "mech" composition), makes me dare to say that you are gm not because mech is that strong (even if you seem likely to have practiced a lot with it and like it a lot), but because people don't know how to counter "mech", together with your extremely good decision making.

I would dare to say that if you used bio, your results would be even better.


I mean, with Bio you can outplay them a lot. With mech, what do you do ? You just get a critical mass of units. Even Iechoic said that the fact that you gotta switch the composition is a weak point. It's the reason why mech will never work.



Check out the other videos, I use tanks as the backbone as my often more often then not. I have plenty of protoss that try to go air i just haven't uploaded any. They're usually incredibly hard countered I have no issues so far facing sky toss at all.

I define mech as anything out of the factory, but as I stated I do throw in mass tanks in most of my builds.

You can outplay people a lot with with mech just the same as bio, stalkers aren't actually that bad against mech since you can force base races and pick off units on the retreat easily. The best thing you can do is abuse a mech terran and stalkers do this.

On March 23 2013 23:40 Qikz wrote:
Show nested quote +
I mean, with Bio you can outplay them a lot. With mech, what do you do ?



I'm really unsure if you're genuinly interested in mech or just bashing his post with points that so many people have made in the past (which most, as the beta have gone on have shown untrue). Tanks do not suck in TvP, they only really suck against immortals and archons which you get tanks/hellbats to deal with, or even thors depending on what style you're going for. You're making such blanket statements when to me it seems you've never even tried to learn the style here or your own mech style.
.


I felt the same way
GM Mech T
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19:00
Weekly #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
ByuN vs AzuraLIVE!
CranKy Ducklings93
SHIN 44
CranKy Ducklings SOOP44
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 245
ByuN 209
mouzHeroMarine 63
SHIN 44
MindelVK 8
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 38543
Calm 10071
Rain 2995
soO 841
BeSt 612
FanTaSy 572
Bisu 473
Stork 446
Soulkey 342
Soma 312
[ Show more ]
Rush 239
firebathero 233
Barracks 116
Last 107
Pusan 69
Mind 69
Light 54
Shinee 47
Sexy 47
ToSsGirL 43
Sharp 31
Killer 30
Snow 29
Terrorterran 25
hero 23
Sacsri 22
HiyA 22
Shine 17
yabsab 17
Trap 16
sorry 15
Hm[arnc] 14
zelot 14
Noble 6
scan(afreeca) 6
Dota 2
Gorgc5843
League of Legends
Reynor43
Counter-Strike
byalli539
x6flipin4
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King86
Other Games
gofns37469
singsing1724
Pyrionflax229
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV225
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 11
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• 3DClanTV 68
• Gemini_19 2
• Dystopia_ 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV329
League of Legends
• Jankos3100
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
4h 23m
BSL Open Qualifier
8h 23m
BSL Open Qualifier
8h 23m
OSC
12h 23m
OSC
1d 1h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
5 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.