• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:11
CEST 04:11
KST 11:11
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)24Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8358 users

[G] Zerg vs Zerg ling/infestor into ultralisks - Page 2

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 15 16 17 Next All
TangSC
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Canada1866 Posts
June 15 2012 03:46 GMT
#21
Haha I just commented in Belial's discussion about this style. Here's a link to a stream VOD of he does zergling/infestor/ultralisk in every zvz: http://www.twitch.tv/mstephano/b/320060897

Coaching www.allin-academy.com | Team www.All-Inspiration.com
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
June 15 2012 04:16 GMT
#22
On June 15 2012 12:46 TangSC wrote:
Haha I just commented in Belial's discussion about this style. Here's a link to a stream VOD of he does zergling/infestor/ultralisk in every zvz: http://www.twitch.tv/mstephano/b/320060897



Yup like I said that's where I got the build :p
When I think of something else, something will go here
joeyBanana
Profile Joined October 2010
Germany77 Posts
June 15 2012 05:07 GMT
#23
great write-up blade, accidentally i was doing this build for the last 2 weeks too, i think it was stephano vs violet on metropolis @ spring championship, right?

i would not label the build as defensive, more kind of evasive/counterish you have to backstab and attack him as soon as he moves out (caution: banelings!). you pointed that out but i think you really have to underline that stylistic choice. map-awareness and game sense is really needed since it looks sooo stupid losing ur whole army to banes or festors, cause you're not watching.

its kind of a race against time where you will win, as long as you get to hive and ultras and before that, you have to think of ways not to die and doing guerilla tactics where you can!

again, good write-up, thx for the contribution <3
Premature Egrackulation
ArcticRaven
Profile Joined August 2011
France1406 Posts
June 15 2012 07:08 GMT
#24
Ok, thanks for the advice on broodlords. I'll stick with ultras .

I have another question : where is a good place to engage the roach-based army with this ? And also do you break the rocks on Cloud Kingdom ?
[Govie] Wierd shit, on a 6 game AP winning streak with KOTL in the trench. I searched gandalf quotes and spammed them all game long, trenchwarfare247, whateva it takes!
T.O.P. *
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Hong Kong4685 Posts
June 15 2012 07:19 GMT
#25
I think it's pretty hard to hold a 3rd vs +1 roach with this build, especially if they hit before infestors are done. Where do you put your spines? 2 at nat 3 at main?
Oracle comes in, Scvs go down, never a miscommunication.
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-15 07:28:13
June 15 2012 07:27 GMT
#26
On June 15 2012 16:08 ArcticRaven wrote:
Ok, thanks for the advice on broodlords. I'll stick with ultras .

I have another question : where is a good place to engage the roach-based army with this ? And also do you break the rocks on Cloud Kingdom ?


I do not break the rocks on cloud kingdom, but I am also wanting small choke points with infestors so that I can really mess him up if he just goes up there.

You want to engage in a more open area so you can get a surround though is preferable ^^.

On June 15 2012 16:19 T.O.P. wrote:
I think it's pretty hard to hold a 3rd vs +1 roach with this build, especially if they hit before infestors are done. Where do you put your spines? 2 at nat 3 at main?


I have been trying to get at minimum 2 spines at both natural + third. You will be pretty mineral heavy anyway due to only going lings. I would add more if you think you need them obviously.

In one of my replays for example I played a guy who was doing 3 base roach/ling/speedbane trying to kill me and I made I had 5 at third, 3 at natural? Would have to watch the rep but you'll notice I made a decent amount of spines.

If he's doing +1 is he just doing this off of 2 base? You could go for base trade (or just counter attack with some lings) if you don't think you can hold your third. The great thing about this style is speedlings are fast and you can really make the game go wild if you can't hold your third. At minimum you will deny his third so if he kills yours it's not that big of a deal it just evens the game out instead of you having a little more of an advantage.

As long as you can keep him on 2 bases with you, you are in a better position then he is (at least from experience).

In one (might be 2) of my replays you will notice me knowing I can't hold his attack at my third and counter while keeping my natural defended (infestors popped). I killed his third and I think did some decent damage at his natural and eventually just won the game.


On another note, I realized I forgot to add in the build when to get ling speed, updated that with first 100 gas .
When I think of something else, something will go here
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
June 15 2012 07:27 GMT
#27
^ Can you be a little more specific. +1 roaches from a standard fast third play, in which case you should have 1/1 which negates the +1 attack and only take your third once you have infestors out, to which ling/infestor/spine rapes roaches and you put spines up at your third using creep spread (and even then ling/infestor owns roaches I think unless he's 2 base all-inning in which case you should not be taking a third anyways), or a roach ling all-in with +1 which is just a bad roach/ling all-in (which is why people do roach/ling with no attack upgrade and much quicker instead) and you just hold like you normally would regardless of what build you planned to do - make some spines at your nat while teching up to lair on 2 base and then winning with a huge tech advantage against the all-in (mass speed/burrow roaches, mutas, infestors, whatever).
How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
SeinGalton
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
South Africa387 Posts
June 15 2012 09:09 GMT
#28
Thanks Blade, I've really been trying to use this style in ZvZ as it seems so much more fun than the usual style. But up until now, I've just been fumbling around in the dark. This is exactly the type of guide I've needed to take my ZvZ to the next level. Your work is greatly appreciated!
They're coming to get you, Barbara.
Flonomenalz
Profile Joined May 2011
Nigeria3519 Posts
June 15 2012 10:25 GMT
#29
What I've been thinking is, once I recognize that it's Ling/Infestor, switch to a defensive macro style. By this I mean, my only objective is to deny his 4th and take my 4th AND 5th. It's really greedy, but I think it should work since the Ling/Infestor player isn't aggressive at all until Ultras. I also immediately cut roach production, drop an infestation pit, and rush to broods. With the amount of gas from a 4th and 5th base, I should be able to get enough broods to both attack the the Ling/Infestor player AND defend my bases from the base trades.

It's pretty map dependent though... idk. I just haven't played against it enough times to develop a counter. Belial, wanna play some games today?
I love crazymoving
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
June 15 2012 17:16 GMT
#30
On June 15 2012 19:25 Flonomenalz wrote:
What I've been thinking is, once I recognize that it's Ling/Infestor, switch to a defensive macro style. By this I mean, my only objective is to deny his 4th and take my 4th AND 5th. It's really greedy, but I think it should work since the Ling/Infestor player isn't aggressive at all until Ultras. I also immediately cut roach production, drop an infestation pit, and rush to broods. With the amount of gas from a 4th and 5th base, I should be able to get enough broods to both attack the the Ling/Infestor player AND defend my bases from the base trades.

It's pretty map dependent though... idk. I just haven't played against it enough times to develop a counter. Belial, wanna play some games today?


Hm I don't think you can get away with taking a 4'th and 5'th base. I played a zerg on kr (the replay is one of the 5 I believe) on daybreak who did something like that. He went for a 4'th and 5'th base, I denied his fifth easily multiple times and he even made a ton of spines but I eventually won.

I don't see how you'll ever get enough broodlords to defend bases and attack, that takes a lot of time and the zerg going ling/infestor will have ultralisks out by like 15 minutes I think? Don't see that being an effective counter at all.
When I think of something else, something will go here
oOOoOphidian
Profile Joined January 2011
United States1402 Posts
June 15 2012 20:25 GMT
#31
How does this deal with Roach/Hydra play? I find it nearly impossible to hold Roach/Hydra armies (typically with +2 attack) in the midgame when doing this style. It's really frustrating and infestor/spine doesn't cut it. Ultras can't be out in time really...
Creator of sc2unmasked.com
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
June 15 2012 20:55 GMT
#32
On June 16 2012 05:25 oOOoOphidian wrote:
How does this deal with Roach/Hydra play? I find it nearly impossible to hold Roach/Hydra armies (typically with +2 attack) in the midgame when doing this style. It's really frustrating and infestor/spine doesn't cut it. Ultras can't be out in time really...


Infestor spine should hold it quiet easily as long as you are fungeling right. You should have about 6 or so infestors with a ton of lings, with surround and good fungels and spines attacking you should be able to hold it assuming you are macroing correctly and doing all the timings right. You do need more then 1 spine, 3-5 is what you should be aiming for.
When I think of something else, something will go here
TangSC
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Canada1866 Posts
June 15 2012 20:57 GMT
#33
On June 15 2012 13:16 blade55555 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 15 2012 12:46 TangSC wrote:
Haha I just commented in Belial's discussion about this style. Here's a link to a stream VOD of he does zergling/infestor/ultralisk in every zvz: http://www.twitch.tv/mstephano/b/320060897



Yup like I said that's where I got the build :p

I know! Just thought others may benefit from another reference
Coaching www.allin-academy.com | Team www.All-Inspiration.com
TangSC
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Canada1866 Posts
June 15 2012 20:58 GMT
#34
On June 16 2012 05:55 blade55555 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 16 2012 05:25 oOOoOphidian wrote:
How does this deal with Roach/Hydra play? I find it nearly impossible to hold Roach/Hydra armies (typically with +2 attack) in the midgame when doing this style. It's really frustrating and infestor/spine doesn't cut it. Ultras can't be out in time really...


Infestor spine should hold it quiet easily as long as you are fungeling right. You should have about 6 or so infestors with a ton of lings, with surround and good fungels and spines attacking you should be able to hold it assuming you are macroing correctly and doing all the timings right. You do need more then 1 spine, 3-5 is what you should be aiming for.

Are there situations you'd consider more than 5 spines?
Coaching www.allin-academy.com | Team www.All-Inspiration.com
TyrionSC2
Profile Joined November 2010
United States411 Posts
June 15 2012 21:01 GMT
#35
This is the same strategy that we saw leenock vs violet do at mlg spring champs.
I was curious about it as I haven't really seen it used recently other than that game.
How does this build work against somebody going mass infestor? A lot of people that I play with started doing that after NSHS Freaky did his mass infestor spine play. I figured it would be better vs this because fungal > upgrades. Then I guess when the ultras pop it's different, but I'm still not convinced that mass ling is a great choice in zvz.
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
June 15 2012 21:10 GMT
#36
On June 16 2012 05:58 TangSC wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 16 2012 05:55 blade55555 wrote:
On June 16 2012 05:25 oOOoOphidian wrote:
How does this deal with Roach/Hydra play? I find it nearly impossible to hold Roach/Hydra armies (typically with +2 attack) in the midgame when doing this style. It's really frustrating and infestor/spine doesn't cut it. Ultras can't be out in time really...


Infestor spine should hold it quiet easily as long as you are fungeling right. You should have about 6 or so infestors with a ton of lings, with surround and good fungels and spines attacking you should be able to hold it assuming you are macroing correctly and doing all the timings right. You do need more then 1 spine, 3-5 is what you should be aiming for.

Are there situations you'd consider more than 5 spines?


Not really, I mean if you have a ton of excess minerals maybe, but otherwise no or if he's doing a 2 base all in then yes like earlier one
When I think of something else, something will go here
Windwaker
Profile Joined February 2012
Germany1597 Posts
June 15 2012 22:01 GMT
#37
On June 16 2012 06:01 TyrionSC2 wrote:
This is the same strategy that we saw leenock vs violet do at mlg spring champs.
I was curious about it as I haven't really seen it used recently other than that game.
How does this build work against somebody going mass infestor? A lot of people that I play with started doing that after NSHS Freaky did his mass infestor spine play. I figured it would be better vs this because fungal > upgrades. Then I guess when the ultras pop it's different, but I'm still not convinced that mass ling is a great choice in zvz.



i saw the game between leenock and violet (link: http://tv.majorleaguegaming.com/events/17-spring-championship#1423/1457/1;89926) its a good example that you loose without spines even when the opponent goes for the same style, cause a roach transition can/will kill you
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
June 15 2012 22:29 GMT
#38
There's no way someone on 3 base will have more infestors than you do on 2 base. Mass infestor doesn't really work against this. Roach based aggression of any kind is held by simply making enough spines. A roach transition will not kill you as long as you have enough spines and dont tech too quickly to ultras before making enough infestors.

Only thing I can see beating this is when playing standard fast third roach, you cut roach production asap, go infestors, and similarly tech hive and basically do the exact same thing but with a faster third and a fourth taken with a few roaches and ling/infestor support.
How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
Windwaker
Profile Joined February 2012
Germany1597 Posts
June 15 2012 22:35 GMT
#39
On June 16 2012 07:29 Belial88 wrote:
A roach transition will not kill you as long as you have enough spines and dont tech too quickly to ultras before making enough infestors.

thats exactly what happened in that game, leenock didnt build any spinecrawler at all.
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother
Tenda
Profile Joined October 2009
United States146 Posts
June 16 2012 01:08 GMT
#40
Thanks for the guide, im definitely going to be trying to use this play style.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 15 16 17 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 50m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 148
Nina 94
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 13254
Rain 2253
Artosis 648
Dewaltoss 27
NaDa 22
Bale 21
Dota 2
monkeys_forever501
NeuroSwarm193
League of Legends
Doublelift4811
Counter-Strike
taco 569
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1473
ArmadaUGS330
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1296
WinterStarcraft541
Other Games
summit1g8928
JimRising 615
C9.Mang0214
PiGStarcraft189
Maynarde159
ViBE127
ZombieGrub5
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick885
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream148
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 111
• davetesta31
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki11
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
7h 50m
OSC
10h 50m
Stellar Fest
10h 50m
OSC
21h 50m
Stellar Fest
1d 10h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.