• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:08
CEST 14:08
KST 21:08
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8693 users

[G] Zerg vs Zerg ling/infestor into ultralisks - Page 16

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 14 15 16 17 Next All
Mavvie
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Canada923 Posts
September 02 2012 02:32 GMT
#301
On September 02 2012 08:27 akuan30000 wrote:
Hey, Diamond zerg here, I'm using this build to great success on the ladder.
The only problem I'm having is dealing with 2base roach all ins. I'm having trouble scouting it, and defending adequately against it. What is the general timing for a third base in zvz?

Here are 2 replays, could someone point out the errors in my play?
The first game I use roaches to defend; the second I use spine crawlers
http://drop.sc/246367
http://drop.sc/246368

Oh, and what's the rough timing for a 2base roach push?

I'm not qualified to answer any of the other questions, but a roach/ling all-in hits ~9:00-10:00, timing varies a ton depending on early game, if he gets upgrades/lair/macro hatch
I figured a good way to do this build was saturate bases -> all larvae on lings, extra money goes into spines pretty much? Not sure, again I'm not qualified
Getting back into sc2 O_o
roym899
Profile Joined March 2011
Germany426 Posts
September 02 2012 21:02 GMT
#302
I wonder wether Roach/Hydra, with quite a few hydras, is actually a good strategy against this? I've just played against this and even though my opponent got some pretty good banelings hits one my hydras, and fungals my whole army while engaging with ultras I'm winning most of the fights. But he didn't do any Carapace upgrades aside from Ultra upgrade. So I'm not sure wether this might have been the reason for this. But if he did those he would have 1-2 less ultras. So I don't think it'd be such a difference.
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-02 22:28:25
September 02 2012 22:27 GMT
#303
On September 03 2012 06:02 roym899 wrote:
I wonder wether Roach/Hydra, with quite a few hydras, is actually a good strategy against this? I've just played against this and even though my opponent got some pretty good banelings hits one my hydras, and fungals my whole army while engaging with ultras I'm winning most of the fights. But he didn't do any Carapace upgrades aside from Ultra upgrade. So I'm not sure wether this might have been the reason for this. But if he did those he would have 1-2 less ultras. So I don't think it'd be such a difference.


Actually that makes a huge difference. The fact he only had the ultra cavern uptrades is huge for ultralisks. From experience both from playing with this style and playing against it with roach/hydra, ultras will mop this up easy peasy.

The ultras should be 5/3 and as long as he has infestor support he should be crushing your armies unless he is engaging in a bad position or something.
When I think of something else, something will go here
xPiwi
Profile Joined September 2012
United States2 Posts
September 03 2012 20:51 GMT
#304
From my experience (High Diamond/Low Master), this style autoloses to double upgraded roach. Is there anything better I can do? Or is the only option to put up a roach warren and get roaches yourself.
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
September 03 2012 21:05 GMT
#305
On September 04 2012 05:51 xPiwi wrote:
From my experience (High Diamond/Low Master), this style autoloses to double upgraded roach. Is there anything better I can do? Or is the only option to put up a roach warren and get roaches yourself.


The easiest solution is to get roaches yourself. The other way is to just make sure you have a lot of spines and obviously ling/infestor and engaging in a good spot while counter attacking.
When I think of something else, something will go here
xPiwi
Profile Joined September 2012
United States2 Posts
September 03 2012 22:13 GMT
#306
^ How many spines would you say? 3-4 5-6? more than that?
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
September 03 2012 22:23 GMT
#307
On September 04 2012 07:13 xPiwi wrote:
^ How many spines would you say? 3-4 5-6? more than that?


I would try at minimum 5 if possible ^^.
When I think of something else, something will go here
Discarder
Profile Joined July 2012
Philippines411 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-04 09:32:12
September 04 2012 09:30 GMT
#308
On August 29 2012 14:10 oOOoOphidian wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 29 2012 13:32 Discarder wrote:
I tried this and it was a lot of fun! But I think the only reason I played this is because some opponents had bad macro and not enough units.

I was having trouble defending a mass roach into 3rd base build in Ohana. 6 spines in my natural and 6 in the 3rd with a lot of infestors isn't enough. Its so hard to run back and forth to defend both bases.. Maybe I will upload a replay soon.

If they are on 2 base, you can gladly stay on 2 base and just secure a large infestor count. After that, Ling/Infestor will demolish roach base armies and you're safe to take a 3rd. I think the proper number is ~10 with a lot of energy. If you conserve your lings and infestors, you'll be fine. Don't throw them away trying to save your 3rd too early.

If people have replays of holding these attacks or losing against them, post in the thread so we can make more sense of how it works.



I guess this is it. I really have to do something with my lings if he's attacking. I really want this build to work but its so hard.
You can take the lion out of the jungle, but you can't take the jungle out of the lion
TheMooseHeed
Profile Joined July 2010
United Kingdom535 Posts
September 04 2012 13:56 GMT
#309
Ok so I have a question about this style. If my opponent really commits to killing my third with roach attacks do I defend it or counter and kill his third? I can think of good reasons for both but in practice I never quite know what to do.

The only way I can defend my third is to mass spine but then I fall behind in eco and play from behind, or lose my third and kill his while having faster infestors then him to set myself up for the mid-late game.
''Swarm hosts are the worst thing in the world, I mean terrorism is pretty bad but swarmhosts are worse'' IdrA on ZvZ
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
September 04 2012 18:18 GMT
#310
On September 04 2012 22:56 TheMooseHeed wrote:
Ok so I have a question about this style. If my opponent really commits to killing my third with roach attacks do I defend it or counter and kill his third? I can think of good reasons for both but in practice I never quite know what to do.

The only way I can defend my third is to mass spine but then I fall behind in eco and play from behind, or lose my third and kill his while having faster infestors then him to set myself up for the mid-late game.


Well you should do a counter to kill his third if you don't think you can engage it. If you can fight it just defend, if you can't just fcounter and kill the third so that he's not ahead in bases
When I think of something else, something will go here
Discarder
Profile Joined July 2012
Philippines411 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-11 06:37:25
September 11 2012 06:32 GMT
#311
On September 05 2012 03:18 blade55555 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 04 2012 22:56 TheMooseHeed wrote:
Ok so I have a question about this style. If my opponent really commits to killing my third with roach attacks do I defend it or counter and kill his third? I can think of good reasons for both but in practice I never quite know what to do.

The only way I can defend my third is to mass spine but then I fall behind in eco and play from behind, or lose my third and kill his while having faster infestors then him to set myself up for the mid-late game.


Well you should do a counter to kill his third if you don't think you can engage it. If you can fight it just defend, if you can't just fcounter and kill the third so that he's not ahead in bases


This is actually the most crucial moment in the upgraded mass ling vs roach games. It is very IMPORTANT to gauge how many units did he have to attack your 3rd and how many he has to defend his 3rd. This will determine if you should stay and defend OR do a counter attack. So it depends on how you size up his army.

The problem is I don't want to go ultras on only 2 bases. If my opponent denies my third forever, then it will be very hard to get gas for those ultras/upgrades/adrenal glands. It will just be a stale game. Maybe I should max with 2/2lings with my minerals so I can kill the roach army (with good positioning) head on? Because I think I have a lot of minerals already piled.

You can take the lion out of the jungle, but you can't take the jungle out of the lion
Atthasit
Profile Joined July 2011
Russian Federation81 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-09 06:56:22
October 09 2012 06:56 GMT
#312
1500+ MMR EU Dia. I've been using this style for quite some time already, but I still can't quite get the hang of it. The thing I used to die to most frequently were upgraded roach pushes. I'd defend from the first wave, and the next one would mop me off as I would have almost zero infestor energy and very few lings and spines left. So I've started getting a roach warren about time I morph my lair just like the Blade says in his latest posts. This way I am able to survive the roach push by matching his roach numbers, so it all seems good. But not quite. As I am using my gas on roaches, I can't afford enough (how much is enough? 6? 8? 10? more?) infestors. Later infestors means later ultras. And by the time I am able to start adding ultras to my army, the upgrade difference between my roaches and his becomes fatal.

My biggest fault that comes to mind is getting used to having a LOT of infestors (8+) from ling+spine way and trying to match these numbers while going roaches. How many infestors do you guys get? Now that I think about it, without having a need to lock roaches in place for spines, 4 or so would be enough, or would it?

Another dilemma I've been facing is, do I build lings (not counting a small sized counterattack squad for snipig 3rds and 4ths) for my main army or am I better off with pure roach and using those minerals somewhere else, like building spines. Enemy infestors kinda render my lings almost useless, or at least very fragile. I am talking about the time window when enemy already has a decent amount of infestors and my ultra cavern is not done yet.

In the end I wanted to say that I absolutely love this style, I've had games against much more skilled and highly ranked opponents, which I was obviously losing but was able to come back thanks to ridiculous strength of upgraded ultras against roach based ground armies. I just wish it would be more popular, none of the streamers I watch uses it So here's kinda a request to Blade and other people out there successfully using this.. could you please share some replays? And if you know a progamer using this style constantly could you point me towards them? Thanks!
AndySCWilson
Profile Joined September 2010
43 Posts
October 11 2012 02:28 GMT
#313
/\ this, a thousand times, this!
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
October 11 2012 03:12 GMT
#314
Hm I don't have any recent replays since I have been playing almost only hots and yeah. The only ones are in the OP, but maybe some other people will post in here with replays but the ones in the OP are my latest ones !
When I think of something else, something will go here
Catatafish
Profile Joined April 2012
75 Posts
October 11 2012 09:51 GMT
#315
Any plans for a HOTS replay pack or streaming HOTS?
Xanczor
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States254 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-11 11:20:14
October 11 2012 10:26 GMT
#316
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=100673&currentpage=22
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
October 13 2012 03:56 GMT
#317
On October 11 2012 18:51 Catatafish wrote:
Any plans for a HOTS replay pack or streaming HOTS?


I stream hots quiet a bit, past couple weeks I haven't but plan on doing it again on monday. With being sick for a week then this week been lazy and kinda busy with school. Will be back on monday :D
When I think of something else, something will go here
ThePastor
Profile Joined February 2012
New Zealand380 Posts
November 20 2012 19:37 GMT
#318
Wondering if it would be worth mixing drops into this, doing ling drops could be real destructive while staying defensive? Also infestor drops.
Jowj
Profile Joined June 2012
United States248 Posts
November 22 2012 05:06 GMT
#319
In my opinion, drops aren't worth it until you enter into the lategame where you have your maxed army and you have your upgrades. The reason is otherwise this is 2 less infestors in the midgame, where you almost always need every bit of infestor energy.

Infestors also deal well with drops, and like every zerg midgame has infestors.
Strategy
ThePastor
Profile Joined February 2012
New Zealand380 Posts
November 22 2012 06:43 GMT
#320
What about if you did ling drops? A bunch of lings dropped when you see someone move out could be pretty destructive, and not to mention taxing on peoples multi-tasking, possibly opening up opportunities to hit 3rd/4ths
Prev 1 14 15 16 17 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Kung Fu Cup
11:00
2026 Week 25
WardiTV446
Rex75
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko366
ProTech126
Rex 75
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 32740
Hyuk 1327
Jaedong 1015
actioN 522
Soma 484
Horang2 376
EffOrt 334
Soulkey 318
BeSt 303
Mini 289
[ Show more ]
Larva 249
Light 224
Zeus 223
Stork 221
910 210
Last 184
Snow 143
Rush 120
ggaemo 116
Pusan 84
ZerO 72
Mind 57
Mong 43
Creator 43
Free 37
Killer 35
Shinee 33
hero 30
Bale 28
Sharp 28
HiyA 19
sorry 15
yabsab 15
Noble 14
Shine 11
Sacsri 10
Terrorterran 1
Dota 2
Gorgc8353
Dendi592
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1544
markeloff98
kRYSTAL_35
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes3086
Khaldor1079
Other Games
gofns36546
singsing1667
B2W.Neo353
XBOCT311
Pyrionflax269
DeMusliM216
byalli112
Mew2King86
hiko60
ArmadaUGS53
ZerO(Twitch)11
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 515
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream164
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH310
• StrangeGG 29
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• iopq 11
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1467
Other Games
• WagamamaTV178
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
52m
The PondCast
21h 52m
OSC
1d
Stellar Fest
1d
OSC
1d 11h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.