• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:00
CEST 15:00
KST 22:00
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup6StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9250 users

[G] TheCore - Advanced Keyboard Layout - Page 249

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 247 248 249 250 251 432 Next
ellaguru
Profile Joined March 2012
United States35 Posts
June 30 2013 13:41 GMT
#4961
I feel it's kind of confusing that the files are no longer labeled with version numbers, ex: "The Core RRM Beta.SC2hotkeys"
I want to know if I'm up to date but might not come to the thread frequently enough to see all the updates.
And sometimes I want to have two versions to compare them.
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-06-30 17:17:31
June 30 2013 17:15 GMT
#4962
@ella
The version number is at the top of the OP. If you want, you can mark your version when you download it so that you don't forget. Its just a major hassle to mark it every time we do an update.

EDIT: This new click business is fucking insane. So many possibilities; I don't know where to start
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
slowbacontron
Profile Joined October 2012
United States7722 Posts
June 30 2013 18:43 GMT
#4963
On July 01 2013 02:15 JaKaTaK wrote:
@ella
The version number is at the top of the OP. If you want, you can mark your version when you download it so that you don't forget. Its just a major hassle to mark it every time we do an update.

EDIT: This new click business is fucking insane. So many possibilities; I don't know where to start

Oh snap. TheCore might be undergoing some major revamps, huh? The road to .99 (or what is it, I can't remember) is paved with wild curves and turns.
jjakji fan
Beedebdoo
Profile Joined June 2013
130 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-06-30 19:25:48
June 30 2013 18:45 GMT
#4964
@Everyone
I have an idea with the modifier + right-click key on the Zerg layouts. Basically, we can rid ourselves of having to move our home row 1 key to the left(right) whenever we need to spread creep. It is done by putting add and create queen control group on right-click, thus freeing up modifiers on the home row index (P(W) on medium layout).

If you're unfamiliar with the Zerg layout creep spread method, I suggest you look it up in the 'ZXM Creep' tab on TheCore Archives. Optimally trying it out in a test map.

Changelog for ZRM:
+ Show Spoiler +
Spawn Creep Tumor (Creep Tumor): U → I
Spawn Creep Tumor (Queen): U → I
Transfusion (Queen): I → / (Since it works just like Snipe, I'm assuming it's fine here)

Create Location 7: Ctrl + I → Ctrl + O
Jump to Location 7: Ctrl + H → Ctrl + J
Create Location 8: Ctrl + J → Ctrl + K
Jump to Location 8: Ctrl + O → Ctrl + P

Create Control Group 2: Ctrl + Shift + P → Ctrl + Shift + Right-click
Add to Control Group 2: Ctrl + P → Ctrl + Right-click


Walkthrough for ZRM:
+ Show Spoiler +
1) Hold down Ctrl
2) J - Recalls camera 1
3) Click Creep Tumor - Selects all Creep Tumors in vision
4) I - Spreads creep
5) O - Sets camera 1
6) P - Recalls camera 2
7) Click Creep Tumor - Selects all Creep Tumors in vision
8) I - Spreads creep
9) K - Sets camera 2
10) Release Ctrl


Concerns:
+ Show Spoiler +
Spreading creep and setting camera 2 is done subsequently and by the same finger (the ring finger), which is not ideal. Changing Create Location 8 to Ctrl + H instead of Ctrl + K might prove more efficient.


I don't think this is the most efficient use the right click modifiers. It feels like an overly comfortable button to be control group manager for mere Queens, and there are likely other implemintations, that will outshine this one. Something completely else could be done with the keys at hand, and hopefully this post might help spark other ideas. Besides, with this implementation Alt + Right-click is still a free button.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit1:
@slowbacontron

You bet there is

Edit2:
@astazha

On June 30 2013 07:31 astazha wrote:
Queen = 8 (and spawn creep tumors. I don't know how everyone else feels but U messes me up more often than I would like, particularly because I am going for shift at the same time when spreading creep tumors. Shift-8 just feels better to me than Shift-U)
If you find/have found a way around Hold Position, which is bound to 8 and thus conflicts with creep tumors on 8, please do tell. The fact that Hold Position and Stop, which are so similar, have such luxary buttons have been bugging me for a while.

On June 30 2013 07:31 astazha wrote:
Also, and I know this isn't applicable to all layouts, but as ZRM I use "." as an additional for cancel because "]" gives me a little trouble when I'm feeling panicked, which is when the need for it tends to arise.
Indeed, only 4 layouts out of 24, if I'm not mistaken. I guess that's why it haven't been done already.

On June 30 2013 07:31 astazha wrote:
I'm also consider using some of the right click modifiers for additionals for patrol and hold position. Ctrl+[right click], [left click] to patrol, for example. Alt+[right click] to hold position. Something like that.
You have probably discovered this by now, but just to thow it out there: You cannot bind modifiers, mouse buttons, or both to buttons in the command card (lower right portion of your screen).
Ninjury_J
Profile Joined August 2012
Canada408 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-06-30 19:25:53
June 30 2013 19:24 GMT
#4965
Hi everyone,

In order to navigate this new territory, we need to establish what can and cannot be done with mouse clicks and modifiers. Beedebdo is right, commands cannot be assigned to either. So, what does that leave? Ctrl groups, cameras.... What else?

@Beedebdoo

Stop needs to be on K because it is the only ability which is never shift qued. K cannot be a shuft qued ability, because there is a camera in it.

@all. I will be making a "sheet 18" in the archive to post ideas and figure out possible alternatives. Please come into the doc chat if you would like to hang out/ have some insights!
“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting."- Sun Tzu
Beedebdoo
Profile Joined June 2013
130 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-06-30 19:34:30
June 30 2013 19:31 GMT
#4966
@Ninjury_J
That actually makes a lot of sense, thanks! But actually, you can shift-queue a stop command to a patrol command to create an attack move, not that you would ever do that xD

Oh, and anything under global, when looking at hotkeys ingame, can use modifiers and mouse buttons.
Ninjury_J
Profile Joined August 2012
Canada408 Posts
June 30 2013 19:34 GMT
#4967
Fair

Would you like to join me in the archives and/or skype?
“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting."- Sun Tzu
Beedebdoo
Profile Joined June 2013
130 Posts
June 30 2013 19:36 GMT
#4968
Sure, I guess I'll need to log in on google then?
Beedebdoo
Profile Joined June 2013
130 Posts
July 01 2013 12:05 GMT
#4969
Sweet Mother of Mercy. I've found something I think is very interesting.
As I've recently stated at the bottom a post, modifiers and mouse buttons cannot be used to issue commands, which are everything in the command card in the lower right portion of your screen. But I've found a loophole:

Modifiers can be applied to commands, if done by manually editing the hotkey file.

However, the ingame UI sees keys and modifier(s) + same keys as a conflict, and will naturally not accept both. This means that if Mod + X and X both are bound on a single command card, the UI will say one of them is unbound (I've not pinned down which one, but my guess is whoever came first alphabetically in the hotkey file). Here a trick comes in, because if we exit out through cancel, instead of accept, while having that layout equipped, everything will work out fine despite what the Hotkey UI says, and we can use modifiers on commands. The example will give a much more thorough description of this.

Example
+ Show Spoiler +
Now I'm going to bind Train Marine to Z and Train Marauder to Ctrl + Z on the TRM layout. Keep in mind that this is just an example.

The first thing I'll do is opening the hotkey file and locate the two with a simple search:
(I used Notepad++ to open it, you can also rename it to .txt or another format, but there are some problems with naming it back to .SC2Hotkeys then)
Marauder/Barracks=I
Marine/Barracks=J
Luckily for my example, these two commands are right next to each other.

Then, I change them to the keys I wanted and save the file, pretty straightfoward:
Marauder/Barracks=Control+Z
Marine/Barracks=Z

Now I open the file ingame and see that the Marauder is unbound, it's supposed to be like that. I press accept to equip the layout. Then I go back into hotkeys, it's still unbound, and press cancel. While the Hotkey UI will insist that the Marauder is unbound it now works like a charm ingame. I can make marines with Z and Marauders with Ctrl+Z.


Concerns
+ Show Spoiler +
It feels like an exploit, especially because the ingame UI sees it as a conflict, and does not allow both, therefore, I have doubts about its tournament legality. However, it shouldn't be a problem according to Blizzard's terms of use, since the 1 button = 1 action policy isn't violated (given that mod+key is seen as a different key, which they kinda are under Global).

Implementing this means TheCore is more limited, when it comes to editing and customizing from the front. If you want full customization of TheCore you'll need to know how to edit from the back and a fair amount of time. But, you already need that, if you want to customize your campaign experience of TheCore, so it might not be that big of a deal. What I fear most is that it might stale TheCore's evolution, since less would feel it was worth the time to customize it to their liking, thus bringing up possible improvements.


The possibilites with this are many: Binding Spawn Larvae on queen to Shift+O on ZRM to allow Transfusion on O is just one example.
SixtusTheFifth
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
New Zealand170 Posts
July 01 2013 12:47 GMT
#4970
We went part way down this path with TheCore+. We used the file to create conflicts and combos the front wouldn't allow.

I experimented a bit with modifiers since it was very useful with the burgeoning number of units and unit combos from SC1 and BW remakes
Key = SC2, eg J = Viking,
Ctrl+Key = BW, eg Ctrl+J = Wraith

The main advantage in multiplayer was moving worker production to the J key to match Marine/Zealot/Zergling.

It won't be against Blizzard's ToS, and I don't know how many tournaments pay enough attention to us to write rules blocking what we do, but there there is the risk of getting used to the set up and Blizzard killing it without warning.
Beedebdoo
Profile Joined June 2013
130 Posts
July 01 2013 13:17 GMT
#4971
I don't see why Blizzard would kill it, but given how little they seem to care about anything beyond simple modification, there is indeed a very real risk of them accidentally stepping on it. Thanks for the reply
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
July 01 2013 14:18 GMT
#4972
Blizzard is very likely to kill something like us editing the text file and doing things a certain way so that we can get modifiers on the command card. As much as I'd like to do it, its not worth the risk IMO. TheCore (stock version) will work only in the confines of the UI. However, I'm sure many people make modifications, and this could be one of them
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
Beedebdoo
Profile Joined June 2013
130 Posts
July 01 2013 15:15 GMT
#4973
Just a quick question:
On June 09 2013 11:58 JaKaTaK wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 09 2013 11:19 ellaguru wrote:
I noticed something for Terran:
Suggested Control Groups.

I use TRM. I check the data document for suggested use of Control Groups.
L is Ghosts and Academies.
. is Harass and Fusion Cores.

When I double-tap these keys, my camera will go to the buildings instead of the units.
It seems the code in SC2 has given Ghost Academies a higher priority than Ghosts, in regards to control groups and the camera. Adding other units like hellbats will cause the camera to zip to those units, not the academy. So the Academy is higher priority than the ghosts, but not other units.
As far as Fusion Cores, they seem to have a higher priority than any other units, except for battlecruisers. Using this control group with zip my camera to the buildings, not the units.

You can imagine how this is a problem when you want to use your control groups to bring your camera to your ghosts on L or your harass squad on period, and instead you get taken back to buildings inside you base. It does not seem to be a problem with the Armory, Engineering bay, or with Tech Labs. Only with the Ghost Academy and Fusion Core.

I am curious if anyone else is having this issue or just me. It seems like the solution temporarily is to not have Ghost Academys with Ghosts or Fusion cores with any other units in the same control group.

@ella
I'll fix that now. We're going to have to rethink how to hotkey these things, but for now, I'll amend the document.

Was the document amended? Because I still see Ghosts and Academies on the same CG.
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
July 01 2013 15:52 GMT
#4974
the archive may not have been updated. I did at least the main doc.
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
Beedebdoo
Profile Joined June 2013
130 Posts
July 01 2013 16:02 GMT
#4975
That's strange. I still see Ghosts paired with Academies on live.
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
July 01 2013 16:08 GMT
#4976
I'll write a note to go in and fix. I really want to set up the spreadsheets properly, but it takes so much time...
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
astazha
Profile Joined June 2013
United States29 Posts
July 01 2013 16:49 GMT
#4977
My current ZRM modifications:

+ Show Spoiler +

Creep spread: adjusted from what Beedebdoo was suggesting:
Transfuse ="/"
Creep tumor ="I"
Camera 7 Goto = "[Ctrl]+J"
Camera 7 Create = "[Ctrl]+O"
Camera 8 Goto = "[Ctrl}+H"
Camera 8 Create = "[Ctrl]+[right click]"

One issue here is if you have a habit, as I do, of using right click to cancel an unused tumor or transfuse command and Ctrl is still held down while you're using Camera 7, it will accidentally set Camera 8. I think this will be easy enough to train around. Switching the commands for Camera 8 Goto & Create is another possibility? That might be better, actually. Trying that next.

Hatch/Lair/Hive tech:
OL speed: ="J"
OL drops: ="K"

I have had no trouble at all with accidentally researching these.

Considering using "," for hold position instead of "8". Currently "," is only used for some off-race stuff, as far as I can tell, which could perhaps be moved to "8".

This would create a logical arrangement of J=attack M=patrol, K=stop ,=hold.
All hail the Overgoat!
Borgbilly
Profile Joined May 2012
United States21 Posts
July 01 2013 17:59 GMT
#4978
The Core RRM download from skydrive is still giving the old WoL hotkeys. Wrong upload mayhaps?
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
July 01 2013 18:36 GMT
#4979
@borg
do you mean that you are getting WoL keys? there was never a separate version for HotS or WoL.
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
astazha
Profile Joined June 2013
United States29 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-01 18:47:14
July 01 2013 18:46 GMT
#4980
In addition to the above:

I have "I" assigned to Global/UnitManagement/Choose A.I. or Ability Target (as well as creep tumor)

The key repeat alternates between selecting the tumor ability, and placing it. Move camera, select tumors, hold down I, move the mouse around and watch the creep go. Much faster than clicking.
All hail the Overgoat!
Prev 1 247 248 249 250 251 432 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
INu's Battles
20:00
INu's Battles#21
herO vs Rogue
Classic vs TBD
IntoTheiNu 1061
LiquipediaDiscussion
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19:00
Weekly #149 (SHIN Mod Edition)
ByuN vs KrystianerLIVE!
CranKy Ducklings225
CranKy Ducklings SOOP20
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech125
CosmosSc2 7
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 46601
Shuttle 11804
FanTaSy 1535
Hyuk 929
BeSt 474
Horang2 459
EffOrt 232
Stork 222
Last 170
Zeus 149
[ Show more ]
Soma 121
Pusan 119
Mind 94
hero 76
Killer 73
ggaemo 68
Hyun 68
sorry 56
Snow 53
Hm[arnc] 47
PianO 40
ToSsGirL 34
Bale 28
Aegong 27
zelot 19
JYJ 17
NaDa 15
Sexy 12
Sacsri 11
ajuk12(nOOB) 9
Noble 8
Icarus 1
Dota 2
qojqva1281
Dendi1136
XcaliburYe322
Gorgc0
Counter-Strike
fl0m2887
x6flipin748
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu546
Khaldor113
Other Games
gofns37234
B2W.Neo1146
byalli822
Beastyqt283
Hui .163
Livibee160
ArmadaUGS112
Mew2King58
Mlord17
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick687
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream76
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 15
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix11
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis1896
Upcoming Events
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
2h
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
6h
BSL Open Qualifier
6h
Replay Cast
10h
Afreeca Starleague
21h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
22h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 3h
Replay Cast
1d 10h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 21h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 22h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.