• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:13
CEST 23:13
KST 06:13
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8583 users

1.4.3 How to kill lategame Zerg? - Page 11

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 9 10 11 12 13 18 Next All
ETisME
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
12888 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-23 17:42:32
February 23 2012 17:36 GMT
#201
MVP style:
Drops
Ghosts for sniping
Ghosts that are dropped to nuke
EMP
Turtle hard and keep dropping and nuking

Snipes and EMP when the zerg comes close

get enough vikings, emp the infestors and you can snipe broodlords whole day with vikings and ghosts
其疾如风,其徐如林,侵掠如火,不动如山,难知如阴,动如雷震。
stichlasser
Profile Joined March 2011
69 Posts
February 23 2012 17:39 GMT
#202
Hm, if you go mech, I think you start with some hellion harass, right? Im Zerg and if I see my opponent going for mech, Im trying hardcore to macro as hard as I can to get the BL/Infestor.

So, you have to kill me, before I get there or you have to delay my tech/amount of units I can have by pressuring me with drops and runbys (helions+medivacs or even valkyre calldown and maybe raven with turrets). Can u tell a map, where you have the biggest problems? Maybe I can show you an "asshole" spot to drop and harass
itsMAHVELbaybee
Profile Joined October 2008
292 Posts
February 23 2012 17:47 GMT
#203
Nukes should be looked into, as you don't even really need medivacs to move cloaked ghosts around the map. Nukes also will do equal to more damage depending on how poorly the zerg reacts. Sure all they need to do is build overseers but a zerg still needs to be constantly checking +4 bases when nukes are dropping, something that certainly breaks flow and buys you even more time to build up a solid defense.

Tech switches are extremely strong against late game T because the viking is such a terrible unit on the ground its wasted supply and there are not enough marauders produced in time when ultra/ling gets to your base. With 3+ ghost academies you will have enough to keep nuking the same spot over and over again forcing the zerg to delay their push and buying you time to rebuild your army. Plus if your nuking around the map you are only committing a 2 supply ghost to the nuke harass versus medivac drops with 8 marines which adds up to 10 supply(which could be used to be in the main army).
I am boss. -Minami-ke
Roblin
Profile Joined April 2010
Sweden948 Posts
February 23 2012 18:55 GMT
#204
On February 17 2012 04:55 ToastieNL wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 17 2012 04:53 TheV wrote:
Snipe is getting nerfed, not removed from the game.

You can still use ghosts..

Snipe is becoming useless to everything but infestors. That's why it becomes useless vs Broodlord/Infestor, because of the broodlord aspect.


1 broodlord dies from 11 snipes nowadays.

yes, this is a lot more than before.

1 ghost with max energy can have 8 snipes

2 ghosts can kill 1 broodlord as long as 1 ghost has 125 energy and the second has 150 energy or more.

4 supply/400 minerals/200 gas kills 4 supply/300 minerals/250gas basicly instantly.

every infestor is 2 supply.

so as long as you have an army of ghosts that match his supply, you should actually be able to kill his entire army with basicly no casualties.

I would say ghosts are still quite viable. just not as OP as before, and blizz probably overdid it, but ghosts are still viable.

p.s. dont even try to say "400mins/200gas is way more expensive than 300mins/250 gas because terran is limited by minerals, not gas"
I answer: yea, well zerg is limited by gas and not minerals so the difference is actually just 50 resources since both sides use a lot of the stuff they dont have much of.
I'm better today than I was yesterday!
EtherealDeath
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States8366 Posts
February 23 2012 19:07 GMT
#205
Don't go pure mech from the start. It is way more intricate than going bio and hardly anyone will really be able to help you enough with legit, specific pointers for most maps.

Also big maps will be a nightmare for mass roach counters.
Blasterion
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
China10272 Posts
February 23 2012 19:27 GMT
#206
You don't really kill a lategame Zerg or it's very difficult to kill a lategame zerg. So you don't. You kill them mid game. it's not like TvZ is now dead. We'll just kill them before their late game even gets to kick in.
[TLNY]Mahjong Club Thread
upperbound
Profile Joined September 2011
United States2300 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-23 19:38:38
February 23 2012 19:37 GMT
#207
On February 24 2012 03:55 Roblin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 17 2012 04:55 ToastieNL wrote:
On February 17 2012 04:53 TheV wrote:
Snipe is getting nerfed, not removed from the game.

You can still use ghosts..

Snipe is becoming useless to everything but infestors. That's why it becomes useless vs Broodlord/Infestor, because of the broodlord aspect.


1 broodlord dies from 11 snipes nowadays.

yes, this is a lot more than before.

1 ghost with max energy can have 8 snipes

2 ghosts can kill 1 broodlord as long as 1 ghost has 125 energy and the second has 150 energy or more.

4 supply/400 minerals/200 gas kills 4 supply/300 minerals/250gas basicly instantly.

every infestor is 2 supply.

so as long as you have an army of ghosts that match his supply, you should actually be able to kill his entire army with basicly no casualties.

I would say ghosts are still quite viable. just not as OP as before, and blizz probably overdid it, but ghosts are still viable.

p.s. dont even try to say "400mins/200gas is way more expensive than 300mins/250 gas because terran is limited by minerals, not gas"
I answer: yea, well zerg is limited by gas and not minerals so the difference is actually just 50 resources since both sides use a lot of the stuff they dont have much of.

Do you have a good reality of how long it takes to get 150 energy on a ghost, even with Moebius Reactor? I don't think you do. Ghosts start with 75 energy with upgrade, and units regenerate at .5625 energy/second. Therefore, to get 150 energy, it takes 133+ game seconds, and you would have to have a ghost popping that early for every broodlord they have. That's basically impossible. You're probably dead by the time that happens.

Terran also just loses eventually if he can't create a cost-efficient trade. Terrans spend so much more on tech/infrastructure than the zerg that they need to trade cost efficiently or they will lose. Open up the spending tab in any game and look at how much more terran spends on tech (it's a lot). This is why zerg feels that their units ostensibly "suck" against terran units -- they have to be worse in a vacuum or Terran would never recoup its infrastructure cost.

Also, it takes a pretty damn long time to fire off 11 snipes. What happens when you have to kill off 10 broodlords? It basically means you can't do much other micro, and it gets surprisingly difficult to work in even the usual macro juggling when sniping that much (I'm by no means a high level player, but I was rank1 diamond at the end of last season so I think I at least have some appreciation for the skill required to do all of this at once. When you combine with this that snipe is probably the buggiest spell in the entire game, it's just an overall disaster. Compare this to the micro that needs to be done to control broodlords (none, only babysitting to make sure that the broods don't move past the rest of your army or too close to marines) and the counter just requires so much more than the unit, and that's not even counting the splitting/emp's necessary to account for the infestors.

I've tried snipe vs. broodlords now. It's not viable. In fact, it's so slow that the broods can often just A-move over the mass of ghosts before you can fire enough sniper rounds to kill them (10 vs. 9.5 is not a large enough range buffer to actually kite and snipe, especially once broodlings start to get in the way -- ghosts need to stop for a second to snipe while broods can basically stay in constant motion).

I'm all about trying to find another combination to counter broodlords now, whether it's something with vikings, thors, BC's (although I'm not too impressed by those yet if the zerg controls their corruptors and infestors well), or even just pure marine/raven/medivac with lots of drop play and sufficient stuff at home to slow zerg down long enough to just win with pure economy. But ghosts are just not the answer anymore, not after all of this.
OriginalBeast
Profile Joined September 2010
United States709 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-23 19:43:16
February 23 2012 19:40 GMT
#208
I've had slight success with Thor/Viking/marine late game vs bl investor

Nothing too incredible, fungal can't really kill thors that fast and Vikings and thors can kill bl decently quick, I felt so vulnerable to him just making literally 100 lungs at a time and rallying them to the fight.

Idk idk it's tough
More gg, more skill.
DarKFoRcE
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Germany1215 Posts
February 23 2012 19:42 GMT
#209
If you are able to make the transition, mass raven with some ghosts/vikings is really strong. its effectiveness might depend on the map tho.
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/PinDarKFoRcE
blamekilly
Profile Joined April 2011
466 Posts
February 23 2012 19:45 GMT
#210
I used to own zergs with mech because they didn't know how to respond. Now, what they'll do is take really quick expansions after getting out roaches to stop your harassments and then tech up to broods. I think you have to hit them earlier than normal. Instead of moving out at 200, maybe something like 150-170. It's an uphill battle without ghosts, vikings just don't cut it.
IMoperator
Profile Joined October 2011
4476 Posts
February 23 2012 19:48 GMT
#211
How do you guys play vs. ling infestor? I go marine tank, but I never know where, when or how to engage a ling/infestor using zergs. I know to use drops, but infestors still wreck my marines and tanks and then they get out t3 while I'm still on marine/tank and can't get enough ghosts out so I lose.
Blasterion
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
China10272 Posts
February 23 2012 19:55 GMT
#212
On February 24 2012 04:48 IMoperator wrote:
How do you guys play vs. ling infestor? I go marine tank, but I never know where, when or how to engage a ling/infestor using zergs. I know to use drops, but infestors still wreck my marines and tanks and then they get out t3 while I'm still on marine/tank and can't get enough ghosts out so I lose.

You kinda have to make ghosts against infestor if you are going marine tank. if it's mech then you just go kill him with a 0/3 Thorlion army
[TLNY]Mahjong Club Thread
IMoperator
Profile Joined October 2011
4476 Posts
February 23 2012 19:56 GMT
#213
On February 24 2012 04:55 Blasterion wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 24 2012 04:48 IMoperator wrote:
How do you guys play vs. ling infestor? I go marine tank, but I never know where, when or how to engage a ling/infestor using zergs. I know to use drops, but infestors still wreck my marines and tanks and then they get out t3 while I'm still on marine/tank and can't get enough ghosts out so I lose.

You kinda have to make ghosts against infestor if you are going marine tank. if it's mech then you just go kill him with a 0/3 Thorlion army

Well I'm talking about like infestors instead of mutas so they get them out at like 10 minutes along with a ton of upgraded lings. I don't think sitting back and letting them expand freely while trying to get ghosts will work, you'll just be too far behind.
MoreFaSho
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1427 Posts
February 23 2012 20:01 GMT
#214
I'm a terran, I'm not top Masters / GM terran (mid-masters), but I was formerly very high masters zerg and since switched to terrann and am low'mid masters and I seriously don't understand terrans who complain about TvZ. Obviously it helps having perspective from the other side, but I best most of the terrans QQing don't even know how to scout based on army composition and other timings.

Terran is very strong, the ghost nerf was definitely a big deal, but there are lots of ways to fight for an advantage earlier in the game. This truly forces terran to try to get an advantage because before the lategame TvZ if you could do mild damage early (like just deny 3rd / creep spread or force roaches with hellions). Was just too strong and there were just too many ways to get there. I think the way they structured the nerf was silly (a la QXC post), but there are still lots of ways to try to do great damage and abuse zerg lategame immobility (which really exists). Terran also still has way under-used lategame options to destroy lots of SCVs something that only happens at high levels of play, but should happen at many levels.

Basically tired of entering to TvT mirrors and hearing bitching. Fucking 90% of masters terrans can't keep their economy balanced with their production structures, don't know how to scout in a specific way (do you know what the timing difference is between a stalker that was zealot-stalker and a stalker that was stalker first?) and complain because there aren't "units" to deal with specific issues. The units terran has serve strategic purposes and so if you fail to use them that way, you'll lose, this isn't an interesting observation. Terran has such great versatility and I still think a lot of units are way under-used by terran to serve their strategic purposes. Ghost sniping / emping good units is hard and THAT'S A GOOD THING. Ghosts are not supposed to be able to wipe out the opposing army without taking any damage. I've still never seen a ZvT game where I saw what the zerg did and was thinking "well, it's literally impossible to deal with that in any way", but I've felt awfully close at times throughout the patch history in other matchups in other directions.

P.S. I know terran is still fine in TvZ because I beat much higher ranked zergs regularly and still feel like I'm playing terribly.
I always try to shield slam face, just to make sure it doesnt work
Vul
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States685 Posts
February 23 2012 20:14 GMT
#215
On February 17 2012 05:07 ToastieNL wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 17 2012 05:06 Tal0n wrote:
im no T but sounds to me like you should switch into barracks for lategame. ever tried that?

But I'd be very far behind on upgrades, as well as not having the infrastructure. Is the only way for mech to survive lategame to not be mech anymore? That's stupid....


People aren't entitled to be able to do a certain strategy in a certain match up. You feel like you have to use bio in ZvT every game? Well I feel like I have to go ling/bane/muta every game in ZvT. I also feel like there's almost never a situation where I can make ultras. That's just how the game is, only certain things are viable in some matchups, and some things are almost never viable even though it seems like they should be.
OriginalBeast
Profile Joined September 2010
United States709 Posts
February 23 2012 20:15 GMT
#216
A lot of people are saying that Terran just needs a lead early game, but by what means. And If it's simple then the game isn't balanced early game. But if it's easy for Zerg to hold off Terran early then they can get infestor bl, which can't be easily responded to.

We don't want a game where if Zerg doesn't take significant eco damage by 13 min then they win. It's not balanced and doesn't promote sc2 as an esport (people would know who will win at 13 min)

I think that maybe strike cannon or Yamato to deal with infestors with Vikings might work, it takes a ton of fungals to kill Terran T3 aswell. You lose a lot if they just go pure ling after you kill their infestor bl army though due to lack of mobility and your tech just can't kill lings that fast
More gg, more skill.
Zealos
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United Kingdom3576 Posts
February 23 2012 20:18 GMT
#217
For me personally as a zerg player, I always feel the most vulnerable in the late game, for 2 main reasons:
1. The immobility of my army. Seriously, just drop all the time.
2. The use of nukes and HSM. Especially the nukes, they don't have to kill all my broods, but slowly pushing forward with nukes, along with nuking my bases makes me want to cry. HSM on a pack of broods is generally just a good thing.
Gl.
On the internet if you disagree with or dislike something you're angry and taking it too seriously. == Join TLMafia !
nemonic
Profile Joined November 2011
132 Posts
February 23 2012 20:53 GMT
#218
If you start you Starport/Viking production in time, then you will be fine against BL/Infestor as a meching player from my experience (Z). Just scan from time to time to see when Hive starts and react appropriately by either pushing before T3 kicks in for the Zerg or by producing Vikings. I frequently get raped by Thor/Viking/1Raven with BL/Inf. You just have to control it correctly, Vikings can kite Corrupters pretty well.
oogieogie
Profile Joined June 2011
United States3657 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-23 20:58:19
February 23 2012 20:56 GMT
#219
to fight lategame zerg i figure you mean infestor + broodlord + turtle spines so i would say viking + ghosts so ghosts to deal with infestors n viking to kill the broodlords.

if ultras then just build a bunch of marauders with medivacs n ghosts to emp the infestors again.

as mech..maybe vikings + raven for HSM? broodlords are super slow n if they are atking you they clump up really easily, and i highly doubt the broodlords can run from HSM.
D4V3Z02
Profile Joined April 2011
Germany693 Posts
February 23 2012 20:59 GMT
#220
does raven work?
http://www.twitch.tv/d4v3z02 all your base are belong to overlord
Prev 1 9 10 11 12 13 18 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #2
ZZZero.O107
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
JuggernautJason140
BRAT_OK 44
StarCraft: Brood War
Artosis 1041
ZZZero.O 107
Hyun 45
Bale 22
League of Legends
Doublelift3615
JimRising 464
Counter-Strike
Fnx 885
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5892
Other Games
summit1g8599
FrodaN3241
B2W.Neo637
ToD287
KnowMe244
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1499
BasetradeTV270
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream40
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 42
• musti20045 23
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki27
• blackmanpl 14
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1369
• Shiphtur215
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
1h 47m
Afreeca Starleague
12h 47m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
13h 47m
Monday Night Weeklies
18h 47m
Replay Cast
1d 1h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 12h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 13h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.