• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:15
CEST 01:15
KST 08:15
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)53Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9843 users

[G] Playing Mech in TvZ - No more banelings. - Page 8

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 13 Next All
Squigly
Profile Joined February 2011
United Kingdom629 Posts
April 09 2012 20:11 GMT
#141
On April 09 2012 20:38 BobTheSCV wrote:
How do you attack an army when you have a seige tank heavy composition? Defending is easy enough, you just sit there, let the hellions, if available, absorb damage, and the tanks turn the rochies to a fine red paste. But in the opposite scenario.

I find nothing more terrifying than when the zerg army just holds position in the middle of the map, or inches back if you get too close.


Lategame my general plan is 2 hellion drops at his main and his 3rd/4th. This scoutes his tech and moves his army out of position. Then move up and siege, clear creep, but a couple turrets and you have yourself a new siege line. If its a big map with a lot of creep spread, you may need to do this a couple times.

I tend to paly fast and loos with hellions once midgame hits as they are almost free
QCD.GRudge
Profile Joined April 2012
Netherlands13 Posts
April 10 2012 18:16 GMT
#142
I've printed out this as I've always had problems with Zerg, mech seems like a good way to go. But I always feel like I'm losing when I leave the Zerg alone for too long.
quantum chromodynamics
MetalGear
Profile Joined February 2012
Australia47 Posts
April 11 2012 00:09 GMT
#143
What are people's thoughts on going for banshee's either off a reactor hellion expand or 1 rax FE into double gas? How do you think it will hold up against the different all ins? I have tried it a few times and the ability to keep the zerg contained and harass with cloak and even follow up with a hellion drop and a viking to pick off overlords.
LemonyTang
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom437 Posts
April 12 2012 14:17 GMT
#144
Hey guys, I updated the guide with some info on the new ladder maps and more recent replays. Thanks for all your support and interest, I've tried to respond to PMs I sent and apologies for questions in the thread I missed. I'm sorry too that I forgot to make a map post for Korhal Compound or Cloud Kingdom, hopefully I can get those done soon!

On April 09 2012 20:38 BobTheSCV wrote:
How do you attack an army when you have a seige tank heavy composition? Defending is easy enough, you just sit there, let the hellions, if available, absorb damage, and the tanks turn the rochies to a fine red paste. But in the opposite scenario.

I find nothing more terrifying than when the zerg army just holds position in the middle of the map, or inches back if you get too close.


If you're siege tank heavy you have to leapfrog tanks forward, being patient. Make sure to use scans to keep constant tabs on his roaches, and jump forward your back three tanks or so at a time. Even if a few tanks are unsieged when the zerg engages, even eight sieged tanks will shred roach armies like nothing else.


On April 08 2012 04:15 RaE21 wrote:
Just as a general comment, I've been meching TvZ in high masters with pretty decent success. As mentioned, the hardest possible scenarios I find is broodlord infestor roach compositions. This build that the OP outlined is actually pretty effective early-mid game, but it largely relies on denying scouting the mech composition plan as long as possible.

With the current metagame, zergs will almost always blind tech from ling infestor into hive tech, with fast double upgrades Stephano style. While the OP's mech style is largely a surprise attack using BF hellions as an opening to blind counter the zerg or take them by surprise, if the mech path is scouted you HAVE to adapt. Playing a mech style requires a more reactive playstyle than when playing traditional marine/tank, and it does require a lot of understanding of the game. Oftentimes you have to think both in the zerg mindset and then react as the terran. If the zerg sees mass bf hellion, roach is most probable counter, so make tanks. When zerg sees the tank switch, they will tech to broodlords, so prepare vikings. If zerg sees vikings tanks and thors, they will try for a ling or roach switch. Point is, zerg tech switches are alot harder to deal with as a mech terran and it requires a lot more stress on decision making and game sense.



I agree with this post a lot pretty much. There was a period between Boxer revealing hellions to Idra at MLG and Stephano winning IPL3 where zergs would open roaches most games because that was the meta, now they go double evo and try to play greedy to get infestors out. If you hide your mech and only show a few hellions you can toast them very simply.

Tech switches in the late game are one of the hardest things to deal with, but it's also the main strength of zerg so you can't begrudge them it. The most important thing in my opinion is to always keep a decent hellion count, as without those then your precious expensive mech army will get destroyed by 3/3 lings. Thanks for all your posts in the thread Squigly!


On April 11 2012 09:09 MetalGear wrote:
What are people's thoughts on going for banshee's either off a reactor hellion expand or 1 rax FE into double gas? How do you think it will hold up against the different all ins? I have tried it a few times and the ability to keep the zerg contained and harass with cloak and even follow up with a hellion drop and a viking to pick off overlords.


Banshees are definitely a useful unit. It's all up to your style how you want to play, you can use them if you want to. Banshees are pretty good at clearing up an all in but not so great at defending on their own - so they're risky in that respect, but because of how good hellions are at scouting a zerg you can be prepared for an all in so it isn't actually that big a danger in my opinion.
Mvp #1
Jermman
Profile Joined November 2011
Canada174 Posts
April 12 2012 16:09 GMT
#145
To everyone asking about ravens. Please use them. Please? Seeker missles rape brood lords, because who splits and micros broodlords?
Terran/Random Player
PaleRider09
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States70 Posts
April 18 2012 04:51 GMT
#146
Very well written guide. I've been practicing it for a while now and get a lot of success out of it when I execute it correctly. Thanks!
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo
CosmoK
Profile Joined July 2011
339 Posts
May 14 2012 20:03 GMT
#147
Thanks a lot for your detailed guide. I always used to play mech in TvZ but recently I found that it gets harder and harder for me to win this way (I'm currently mid diamond). My problem is that I basically let the zerg get away with most things in the beginning of the game since I go for a 1rax expand, which renders me unable to apply any pressure. In the last couple of weeks I tried to do 2 base timings with a lot of marines, siege tanks and banshees to to kill the zergs third while taking a third of my own but that is not always successful. And after that it's an uphill battle most of the time.
I remembered I bookmarked your guide somtime in the past but never found time to really read it. But now, in search for a better opening to mech in TvZ I remembered your guide and read it. Now from what I can tell it's a very solid buil but I haven't tried it yet. I'm still hesitant because of the new patch.
In order for your stategy to work your Hellion pressure has to be effective and you should deny scouting as long as possible. Since the queens are stronger now and overloards are faster, do you think your strategy will be less viable? If zergs build more queens it might be harder to deny creepspread or do economical damage. And overlord scouting also became a lot easier.
I'd like to hear your thoughts on that very much.

Kind regards
PaleRider09
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States70 Posts
May 16 2012 08:45 GMT
#148
Question: In your game on Ohana vs ChaboJ in the most recent replay pack (the same game you used for the map analysis), you start siege tech and start building tanks at around the 9:10 minute mark. Why did you do this instead of making thors? Was there something you saw that triggered this?

Thanks!
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo
LemonyTang
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom437 Posts
May 16 2012 09:07 GMT
#149
On May 16 2012 17:45 PaleRider09 wrote:
Question: In your game on Ohana vs ChaboJ in the most recent replay pack (the same game you used for the map analysis), you start siege tech and start building tanks at around the 9:10 minute mark. Why did you do this instead of making thors? Was there something you saw that triggered this?

Thanks!


Hey. I just rewatched the replay and the reason I went for tanks instead of thors is down to two main things. First, I've killed 22 drones by now, so any muta switch he does will a) be later (plus he spent gas on roaches and an evo), and b) weaker as his economy is nowhere near optimal. Secondly, he's making roaches, and I've already tipped my hand with blue flame hellions so he knows I'm most likely going mech - this means he's pretty likely to keep making roaches. It's important to make sure you do keep scouting and try and sniff out a muta switch incase one does happen, but in this case I was more concerned with not dying to roaches so I built tanks.


On May 15 2012 05:03 CosmoK wrote:
Thanks a lot for your detailed guide. I always used to play mech in TvZ but recently I found that it gets harder and harder for me to win this way (I'm currently mid diamond). My problem is that I basically let the zerg get away with most things in the beginning of the game since I go for a 1rax expand, which renders me unable to apply any pressure. In the last couple of weeks I tried to do 2 base timings with a lot of marines, siege tanks and banshees to to kill the zergs third while taking a third of my own but that is not always successful. And after that it's an uphill battle most of the time.
I remembered I bookmarked your guide somtime in the past but never found time to really read it. But now, in search for a better opening to mech in TvZ I remembered your guide and read it. Now from what I can tell it's a very solid buil but I haven't tried it yet. I'm still hesitant because of the new patch.
In order for your stategy to work your Hellion pressure has to be effective and you should deny scouting as long as possible. Since the queens are stronger now and overloards are faster, do you think your strategy will be less viable? If zergs build more queens it might be harder to deny creepspread or do economical damage. And overlord scouting also became a lot easier.
I'd like to hear your thoughts on that very much.

Kind regards


Thanks for your feedback!

In response to your question about the new patch, I definitely feel that the opening in my OP is weaker now than it was a month ago. There has also been a metagame shift imho, similar to post-Anaheim, many zergs are more comfortable going roaches in the early game. Maybe there's been an increase in mech users, or it's simply the popularity of the roach baneling ling all in at the moment, but I've moved away from a pure BFH opening.

The build I do now is 1rax FE into double gas, then reactored hellions and cloak banshees. I get my third CC before any additional buildings, using my map control to hide it. I go up to 4 gas, and then add two more fact and an armory - but I keep building banshees, going up to five or six. I'm going to update the OP today because I've developed my play a lot more in the past fortnight and the guide no longer reflects what I feel is the optimal way to play. Hopefully by the time you read this you'll be able to see the changes I've made. Specifically, I think sky terran, with ravens and BCs, is now the ultimate way to win a Mech style vs Zerg.
Mvp #1
CosmoK
Profile Joined July 2011
339 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-17 00:50:38
May 16 2012 18:10 GMT
#150
Interesting. I only watched three of your new replays so far, in two of which you won pretty convincingly in the midgame (the ling, bling, muta game on antiga and the game on daybreak in which you were able to delay the opponents third for quite a while) and the one game that lasted 63 minutes. Now in the end your win in the latter game was pretty easy because you fought him without his ultralisks. Do you think you would've won the engagement with them being still there? I feel that your ground army would've been destroyed much more easily and that your air army wouldn't have been able to destroy the rest of his army.

Besides, what do you think are the major weaknesses of your new build? Can you hold an early roach pressure, maybe evene a roach/bling/ling all-in? What if the zerg takes an very early third?

Still I think sky mech is an interesting approach to late game TvZ. And your build order leading up to this seems solid. I'll definitely try it out.

Kind regards




edit: I played a few games with this style now and my problem is that it's too passive midgame. You need to wait until you have a reasonable number of ravens in order to win the fight against the broodlord/infestor/corruptor army. Now when the big fight eventually happens I do win this fight but since the zerg had some time to mine he just builds a lot of ultralisks and rolls over the rest of my army and my base. I might still have a large air army but it's basically useless against a fast ground army. And I won't have enough thors in time to fight against all the broodlords. Any tips?
chambertin
Profile Joined August 2011
United States1704 Posts
May 17 2012 19:58 GMT
#151
This guide is hot! thanks for taking the time to both create and update it!

Cheers
"I know one thing, that I know nothing" - Socrates?
Alaiz
Profile Joined November 2011
France118 Posts
May 18 2012 00:46 GMT
#152
Wow nice post, and great work bro !
My four thumbs UP !
zmansman17
Profile Joined March 2011
United States2567 Posts
May 18 2012 02:10 GMT
#153
Thank. You!
♞ - His EKG is flattening get me a defib stat! Prepped and Ready! - ♞
Kortex22
Profile Joined June 2011
France28 Posts
May 20 2012 17:23 GMT
#154
Hi Lemony Tang,

Thanks for the addition of this new build giving more entertainement and stability to this strategy.
I watched recently the day9 daily on mass queen+ broodlord in the lategame, day9 said that the solution might be mass raven. I am can of doubtfull with this idea because you need more time to get all the ravens upgrade althoug for the zerg massing queens can be done really quickly.
I saw the replays on full air in the late game : this games are 1 hour long ! in the day9 replay the mass queen /brood is on 3 bases at around 16mn.

here is the link :


did you already encouter a situation with mass queen + brood/infestor army ? Can you post a replay on it ?
Lord Gilgamesh
Profile Joined May 2012
Angola17 Posts
May 20 2012 22:06 GMT
#155
Seems like you play alot of SC. Great tutorials and thanks for using your time to help us.
I am Gilgamesh, Prince of Angola and have a proposition for you. A son of mine has been captured by Angolan rebels and a lucrative offer ...
framtidenskrig
Profile Joined May 2011
Sweden92 Posts
May 25 2012 23:01 GMT
#156
Nice guide and builds, i dont like the idea of playing so heavy on tanks in the midgame... feels abit awkward with the problem of mobility
75-80°C are absolutly fine! A CPU can handle ~95-100°C. User was banned from Tech Support for being wrong.
saaaa
Profile Joined November 2010
Germany419 Posts
May 30 2012 17:39 GMT
#157
How do you guys react if you notice that the zerg is going really roach heavy in the midgame?

I see 3 possible and more or less effectiv options:

(1) continue to produce thor+hellion and just make a few tanks
(2) going tank heavy maybe 10-12 tanks with just 1-2 thors for muta defense
(3) increase the factory number in a total of 4 and build 2 starports with banshees

DelugeSC
Profile Joined December 2011
United States96 Posts
May 31 2012 12:32 GMT
#158
Yesterday I played a game with almost no tanks. I had about 3 the whole game and it eventually went to Vikings/Ravens/BCs/Hellions vs. BL/Corrupter/Infestor

I was neural parasited and fungaled to death! I think tanks in this situation are absolutely crucial to sniping those pesky Infestors. Without neural I would have steam-rolled I think but when Thors start to shoot at your own Vikings bad things happen.
saaaa
Profile Joined November 2010
Germany419 Posts
June 02 2012 11:43 GMT
#159
How do i defend a roach/bling attack in the early game if i play a 2 Fac Blue Flame Hellion opening?

i always get crushed by this timing attack
Assaulter
Profile Joined December 2010
Lithuania324 Posts
June 03 2012 10:55 GMT
#160
On June 02 2012 20:43 saaaa wrote:
How do i defend a roach/bling attack in the early game if i play a 2 Fac Blue Flame Hellion opening?

i always get crushed by this timing attack

i feel that this is the problem with that build, i suggest you go 1 rax fe into reactor hellions off 2 gases, and then get a starport and go cloaked banshees, they will help you out alot, but make sure you scout well and get tanks fast if you're sure that this is what he is doing
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 13 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 45m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SpeCial 132
Vindicta 21
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 10934
Artosis 495
Bale 12
TT1 2
League of Legends
Doublelift3671
JimRising 686
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox773
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4350
Khaldor1050
Other Games
summit1g7735
shahzam642
Day[9].tv205
ArmadaUGS89
NeuroSwarm82
Mew2King72
ViBE53
JuggernautJason38
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV222
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream70
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 42
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 26
• HerbMon 25
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie803
• Scarra486
• Day9tv205
• Shiphtur203
Upcoming Events
OSC
45m
Stellar Fest
13h 45m
OSC
22h 45m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 10h
Online Event
1d 11h
FEL
1d 16h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 17h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 19h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.