• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:27
CEST 16:27
KST 23:27
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)46Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8746 users

[G] Playing Mech in TvZ - No more banelings. - Page 6

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 13 Next All
Weiman
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Netherlands91 Posts
March 29 2012 08:07 GMT
#101
I usually pick the zerg base that is the east well defended and furthest away from the zerg's army and jsut land em there. check for spines and spores though.

That said, any new pointers for the new maps? http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/4682390/Season_7_Ladder_Map_Update-3_28_2012#blog
saaaa
Profile Joined November 2010
Germany419 Posts
March 29 2012 10:16 GMT
#102
On March 26 2012 09:42 Squigly wrote:
One more question on this then. If i have built 20 supply of vikings and he does an ultra switch, or makes no air units, what should I do with the vikings?

Mineral harass and sack them? Keep them alive and harass?


yeah i'm also interested in an answer

i like to harass with smal groups maybe 3 vikings the minerals lines and send 1-3 in different locations to kill overlords and maybe force a few extra fungals with it.

But i also saw that thorzains send all his vikings to the zerg base to kill overlords in mass and the zerg got hugely supply blocked but i'am afraid that after i loss all vikings in this scenario he just build some air units and i'am f*****
Squigly
Profile Joined February 2011
United Kingdom629 Posts
March 29 2012 14:41 GMT
#103
On March 29 2012 19:16 saaaa wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 26 2012 09:42 Squigly wrote:
One more question on this then. If i have built 20 supply of vikings and he does an ultra switch, or makes no air units, what should I do with the vikings?

Mineral harass and sack them? Keep them alive and harass?


yeah i'm also interested in an answer

i like to harass with smal groups maybe 3 vikings the minerals lines and send 1-3 in different locations to kill overlords and maybe force a few extra fungals with it.

But i also saw that thorzains send all his vikings to the zerg base to kill overlords in mass and the zerg got hugely supply blocked but i'am afraid that after i loss all vikings in this scenario he just build some air units and i'am f*****


Im kinda embarrassed to admit I hadnt even thought of killing OLs. Its such a simple use that I hadnt considered. Thatl be my main plan from now on unless someones tells me otherwise.
LemonyTang
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom437 Posts
March 29 2012 15:54 GMT
#104
Hey guys, sorry that I haven't really been answering questions. I had a bit of the break from the game and wasn't in a position to answer for a while, but hopefully I can give some advice now (or later on).

Firstly, regarding Vyyl's post,

It seems that adding the 2nd and 3rd factory at the time listed in your BO causes me to not have enough money to constantly produce out of all my structures... there's a lot of idle time on the factories until i can start making thors. i'm just wondering if you have a good reason for adding the 3rd factory so fast, as I can't seem to find one.

I tried another build order I saw Trump do and it seems a bit more flexible and spends money better. It's roughly:

9 depot
12 rax
13 gas
15 orbital
constant marines up to 5
@100 gas factory
@100% factory, 1 hellion
pressure with 5 marines/hellion
reactor on rax
tech lab on factory
CC @ 5:00min
2nd factory
2nd gas
@100% 2nd factory, swap onto reactor
use rax to scout or make more marines
@ 150/150 blue flame

This build gives you the flexibility to get an earlier tank if needed, and you get earlier blue flame. You get the 3rd factory a little later in this build and i find it spends money better.

Or, with your build order, I guess you could just make a later 3rd factory, use the rax earlier to make a tech lab for the 2nd factory.


I can definitely see your criticism. I understand why it feels inefficient to build the third factory so fast, but basically the reason I do it is because it's safer. If you have to pull out of the hellion timing for whatever reason, then you have a third production facility you can use to make tanks. Of course, you could argue that you could simply lift the fact off the reactor and onto a tech lab made by the rax. So it's definitely a good point.

To be honest, it also covers for bad macro (forgetting to make hellions exactly on time) and it also makes things easier (you might forget to make the third fact in time to get a second thor, causing you to lose to mutas). So it's also kind of a failsafe in this regard too.

Trump's build seems okay, I can see why you'd like it, and you can certainly use it. I'm not trying to promote my opener as the be all and end all, simply something that works for me and can often get you to the midgame either safely or with an advantage. To me the only downside of Trump's build is that it kinda overcommits to marines, building 5 is 150 minerals (more than 2) that delays some of your tech or eco.

Regarding vikings when Z tech switches from air to ground, as pointed out, a really good way to use them is to hunt overlords. I also use them to pick off mining bases, as 10-20 vikings actually does a lot of dps in ground mode. I also make sure to start getting air upgrades once it's got to this phase of the game so while they're still pretty crap vs ultras, they arent as useless vs roaches (with support). You should also be confident that Zerg probably can't afford to rebuild his army that many times, and as long as you use your army to be cost efficient you can ride the wave.

On the weekend I should have the time to go through a walkthrough for the new maps like I did for last seasons, but basically Daybreak is good for Mech as you can turtle perfectly on it, the same for Metropolis, especially as it has only two attack paths that are joined in the middle.

Ohana is a bit different, I don't think mech will be as effective on this map as taking a fourth leaves you extremely exposed, simply because the map is quite small.
Mvp #1
Partypants
Profile Joined August 2010
Australia50 Posts
March 29 2012 16:57 GMT
#105
I've been having alot of luck with mech + banshee switch late game. 3-4 fact and then throw down 2 starports around the time u get your 3rd up . Zergs freak out as they need anti-air , u can pick off random expansions its great
LukasG
Profile Joined July 2011
Germany95 Posts
March 30 2012 13:07 GMT
#106
What to do when u face Ultralisks or mass banes?
ranamudjan
Profile Joined September 2011
Russian Federation6 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-03 07:22:52
April 03 2012 07:22 GMT
#107
Thanks for such a thorough explanation!! I wanted to try it a while ago and this is exactly what i needed! Great job!
Spiner
Profile Joined February 2011
United States360 Posts
April 03 2012 08:37 GMT
#108
Interesting. I go mech most of the time vs zerg but my style differs in that I go with a heavy thor composition with only 5-6 tanks max. What are your thoughts on leaning more towards thors rather than tanks?

I see the advantages of going heavy thor composition as:

-Large amounts of thors and hellions can deal with brood lords surprisingly well, and even ultras. Have the hellions follow the thors so that they auto attack the broodlings, which protects the thors and allows them to fire at the broods without their AI getting screwed up. I get one raven to deal with burrowed roaches and to put up a PDD against corruptors/mutas.

-Even easier to micro then heavy tank composition. Don't have to worry about being caught out of siege mode as often.

-Sometimes zergs decide to transition into mass muta if they see that you only have a few thors and heavy tank comp. By having tons of thors, this tech switch is never an issue.

-Against mass roach I throw down a few starports and start making banshees. Banshees = high dps and good at sniping infestors.

So basically my army looks like this at 200/200: Thors, a few tanks (mainly for dealing with infestors - nerual), hellions, banshees, a raven, and 3-5 vikings.


Weiman
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Netherlands91 Posts
April 03 2012 09:27 GMT
#109
I'm a fan of the heavy-thor composition as well. They're kind of a catch-all unit when they reach 3/3 as in that you can deal with almost unit composition as long as you have a handful of tanks and vikings to really do the damage. Mutas? Bitch please, Ultras? Lol. Roaches? Not a problem as long as you have ~8 tanks, the thors will simply tank the roaches and do a surprising amount of damage. Broodlord/Corrupter? You nee vikings and possibly ravens but their splash damage is just so good.
Olsson
Profile Joined April 2011
Sweden931 Posts
April 03 2012 09:56 GMT
#110
As a zerg player I just cant beat this. Going hive rush into brood lords leaves me so vulernable to 160-180 food pushes and I just straight up die. I also find it harder to play against a player who only gets like 5 tanks to defend and then goes mass thor with hellion support. I just cant beat mech and its impossible to stop them from reaching a deathball. Any pointers?
Naniwa <3
Mongolbonjwa
Profile Joined January 2012
Finland376 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-03 12:19:59
April 03 2012 12:18 GMT
#111
When should I take third base?

How often should i harass zerg and how? usually hellion harass is denied
Mongolbonjwa
Profile Joined January 2012
Finland376 Posts
April 03 2012 14:02 GMT
#112
Your opening does not actually support third base. Its just too much of production.
Douillos
Profile Joined May 2010
France3195 Posts
April 03 2012 14:12 GMT
#113
He gets his 3rd CC in the midgame.if you stay on 3 factory you dont have "too much of production".

For my part I like to get 3rd cc before 3rd factory ONCE im sure no all in is coming (3rd base started, lair etc.). i use this to macro a lot harder and take advantage of mech incredible defense possibilities.
Look a giraffe! Look a fist!!
CaptainCharisma
Profile Joined February 2011
New Zealand808 Posts
April 03 2012 15:49 GMT
#114
I've been using my own variation of this build a lot lately (Diamond level) and it's working very well for me.

I say variation because as others have pointed out, your timing of the third factory renders it idle for a period and delays upgrades for too long. I prefer to get an armory after the second factory, and start adding additional factories as my econ kicks in.

I have a couple of questions though.

1) What time should I set as a good benchmark to max out and push? I generally max out around 18 minutes on a good day, but I feel this should be improved.

2) A game I played recently scared me a bit. It was Entombed Valley I was happily macro-ing up, about 160 supply. 2-2 upgrades. I was camped outside my 3 bases, I had approximately 12 tanks all seiged, four thors and a bunch of hellions. I saw them coming - a pack of about 12 Ultras which ran straight into my army, and killed the lot. I never stood a chance. This is the first time this has happened to me. I've never lost to Ultras using this strategy before. Is this a hard counter? He never attacked me up to this point, I did almost no hellion harass after early-mid game. The only thing that has crushed this build as hard as this was unscouted doom drops or unscouted BL rush.

Thought? Overall, I'm very grateful for this guide and I have a good winning record with it. Thanks!
EG.DeMuslim --- EG.ThorZain --- TSL.Polt --- LGIMMvp --- Mill.fOrGG --- EG.Stephano --- EGiNcontroL --- EG.IdrA --- MarineKing.Prime --- SlayerS_MMA --- Liquid'Hero
Mongolbonjwa
Profile Joined January 2012
Finland376 Posts
April 03 2012 17:47 GMT
#115
how do you deal with fast broodlord, once zerg realizes that terran is just gonna turtle and go mech?
Mowr
Profile Joined November 2010
Sweden791 Posts
April 03 2012 18:01 GMT
#116
On April 04 2012 02:47 Mongolbonjwa wrote:
how do you deal with fast broodlord, once zerg realizes that terran is just gonna turtle and go mech?

You hit them while teching (it shouldn't be too hard to spot) or turtle with thors until you have enough vikings. I suggest the former, but that depends on how slow your build is.
Kill one man and they'll call you a murderer. Kill an army of men and they'll call you a general. But kill all men and they'll call you a god.
Mongolbonjwa
Profile Joined January 2012
Finland376 Posts
April 03 2012 18:03 GMT
#117
On April 04 2012 03:01 Mowr wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 04 2012 02:47 Mongolbonjwa wrote:
how do you deal with fast broodlord, once zerg realizes that terran is just gonna turtle and go mech?

You hit them while teching (it shouldn't be too hard to spot) or turtle with thors until you have enough vikings. I suggest the former, but that depends on how slow your build is.

Terran cannot have enough vikings and both thors and tanks in 15 minutes

Terran is forced to do some timing attack before broodlords come if zerg goes this greedy with his tech. But when and with what kind of composition?
Weiman
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Netherlands91 Posts
April 03 2012 18:09 GMT
#118
On April 04 2012 00:49 CaptainCharisma wrote:

2) A game I played recently scared me a bit. It was Entombed Valley I was happily macro-ing up, about 160 supply. 2-2 upgrades. I was camped outside my 3 bases, I had approximately 12 tanks all seiged, four thors and a bunch of hellions. I saw them coming - a pack of about 12 Ultras which ran straight into my army, and killed the lot. I never stood a chance.


This is why I like to get an early starport and make a medivac (drop straight away) viking (attack overlords) and a banshee. The banshee forces some form of antiair and does decent DPS. Scouting is so vital. Also, more thors against ultras Positioning with depot walls is key as well.
Mowr
Profile Joined November 2010
Sweden791 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-03 18:31:37
April 03 2012 18:29 GMT
#119
On April 04 2012 03:03 Mongolbonjwa wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 04 2012 03:01 Mowr wrote:
On April 04 2012 02:47 Mongolbonjwa wrote:
how do you deal with fast broodlord, once zerg realizes that terran is just gonna turtle and go mech?

You hit them while teching (it shouldn't be too hard to spot) or turtle with thors until you have enough vikings. I suggest the former, but that depends on how slow your build is.

Terran cannot have enough vikings and both thors and tanks in 15 minutes

Terran is forced to do some timing attack before broodlords come if zerg goes this greedy with his tech. But when and with what kind of composition?

Reread my post and you might understand it. I never said you should have vikings at 15 min.

When you hit is early enough that broodlords aren't out. Much earlier and they haven't begun spending the money into hive, hit that timing window. Giving a time or foodcount is useless because it is completely situational.
Kill one man and they'll call you a murderer. Kill an army of men and they'll call you a general. But kill all men and they'll call you a god.
Squigly
Profile Joined February 2011
United Kingdom629 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-06 14:44:01
April 06 2012 14:43 GMT
#120
Wrong Thread - Removed
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 13 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 2
Serral vs herO
Solar vs Shino
Maru vs Clem
SHIN vs GgMaChine
IntoTheiNu 1387
ComeBackTV 559
SteadfastSC504
TaKeTV 433
LamboSC2320
Rex147
IndyStarCraft 145
EnkiAlexander 45
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
13:00
King of the Hill #263
EmpressLilyy27
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 504
LamboSC2 320
Rex 147
IndyStarCraft 145
ProTech135
BRAT_OK 51
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 34783
Shuttle 2627
Horang2 859
EffOrt 847
Light 729
Mini 703
Soma 458
BeSt 342
Stork 323
firebathero 308
[ Show more ]
Rush 236
Hyuk 235
Snow 201
ggaemo 196
ZerO 194
Leta 101
hero 81
Pusan 80
Killer 72
sorry 52
Sharp 41
Shine 38
Shinee 35
Mind 33
Mong 29
Sexy 26
ToSsGirL 26
Trap 25
Yoon 25
soO 24
Aegong 24
Bale 23
Terrorterran 22
Free 17
NotJumperer 14
Sacsri 11
JulyZerg 10
zelot 7
ajuk12(nOOB) 5
Noble 5
Dota 2
Gorgc8554
Dendi973
qojqva908
Fuzer 170
420jenkins140
Counter-Strike
markeloff502
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1983
crisheroes1222
XaKoH 174
Other Games
singsing2016
B2W.Neo1007
Hui .186
Liquid`VortiX182
ArmadaUGS117
Mew2King108
QueenE102
Chillindude18
Railgan16
ZerO(Twitch)14
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream101
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 6
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Gemini_19 8
• mYiSmile15
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Migwel
• IndyKCrew
• intothetv
• Kozan
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix9
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 2208
League of Legends
• Nemesis2577
• Jankos2197
• TFBlade893
Other Games
• WagamamaTV172
Upcoming Events
OSC
9h 33m
Stellar Fest
22h 33m
OSC
1d 7h
CranKy Ducklings
1d 19h
Online Event
1d 20h
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.