• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:20
CEST 06:20
KST 13:20
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)54Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7110 users

[G] Playing Mech in TvZ - No more banelings. - Page 7

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 13 Next All
Immutant
Profile Joined November 2010
Singapore201 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-06 15:00:11
April 06 2012 14:59 GMT
#121
Oh, I love this guide, it has made me feel in control of the game once more.
Today I met a zerg who tried to baneing burst me early game, and refused to make anything other than ling/bane/infestor as if he was playing bio. And why not, it's a good style against lower league players who can't micro. Felt so good to crush his ling/bane/infestor army with mech!
http://i.imgur.com/trOZj.jpg

However, I have 2 problems:
1. Korhal compound. I feel that the bases are spread a bit too far apart. This zerg player split his speed roaches mid game, with 1 half camping outside my base, and the other back home defending. I was afraid to push out and have my tanks destroyed. In the end, he got an econ lead and won. How do you deal with players who mass roaches and have them outside your bases?

2. Both of us spawned bottom of Antiga. I thought it would be easy to slow push across. However, the zerg kept throwing infested terrans at my tanks, and they melted to friendly fire. How do you deal with that? Ghosts?
CaptainAdder
Profile Joined August 2011
Sweden3 Posts
April 06 2012 15:03 GMT
#122
Awesomely Great guide thanks alot )
CaptainAdder
Profile Joined August 2011
Sweden3 Posts
April 06 2012 15:03 GMT
#123
Awesomely Great guide thanks alot
Squigly
Profile Joined February 2011
United Kingdom629 Posts
April 06 2012 15:04 GMT
#124
On April 06 2012 23:59 Immutant wrote:
Oh, I love this guide, it has made me feel in control of the game once more.
Today I met a zerg who tried to baneing burst me early game, and refused to make anything other than ling/bane/infestor as if he was playing bio. And why not, it's a good style against lower league players who can't micro. Felt so good to crush his ling/bane/infestor army with mech!
http://i.imgur.com/trOZj.jpg

However, I have 2 problems:
1. Korhal compound. I feel that the bases are spread a bit too far apart. This zerg player split his speed roaches mid game, with 1 half camping outside my base, and the other back home defending. I was afraid to push out and have my tanks destroyed. In the end, he got an econ lead and won. How do you deal with players who mass roaches and have them outside your bases?

2. Both of us spawned bottom of Antiga. I thought it would be easy to slow push across. However, the zerg kept throwing infested terrans at my tanks, and they melted to friendly fire. How do you deal with that? Ghosts?


Tank range > Infested terran throw range (as in how far away the infestors need to be to throw on your tanks)

If you have detection you should have no issue. Build turrets with your push. Will help with a mass muta switch and roach drops onto your army aswell. Raven is also a decent bet as PDD will work wonders against corrupters, and especially on antiga on those spawns, you can auto turret harass his 3rd
Olsson
Profile Joined April 2011
Sweden931 Posts
April 06 2012 15:07 GMT
#125
On April 04 2012 03:03 Mongolbonjwa wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 04 2012 03:01 Mowr wrote:
On April 04 2012 02:47 Mongolbonjwa wrote:
how do you deal with fast broodlord, once zerg realizes that terran is just gonna turtle and go mech?

You hit them while teching (it shouldn't be too hard to spot) or turtle with thors until you have enough vikings. I suggest the former, but that depends on how slow your build is.

Terran cannot have enough vikings and both thors and tanks in 15 minutes

Terran is forced to do some timing attack before broodlords come if zerg goes this greedy with his tech. But when and with what kind of composition?


1. Right they cant. Then realize that zerg cant have both broodlords and a ton of units. Either camp and be safe or go in and win, situational though.

2. As a zerg I find heavy thors comps with just a sprinkle of hellions to be the biggest issue. Having some tanks at the start to secure your expansions are good though but when you reach that 150 supply mark going pure thor is really hard to beat.
Naniwa <3
Mongolbonjwa
Profile Joined January 2012
Finland376 Posts
April 06 2012 15:33 GMT
#126
how to deal with mutalisks? its so hard to actually get those thors fast enough to not simply die to mutalisk
saaaa
Profile Joined November 2010
Germany419 Posts
April 06 2012 17:42 GMT
#127
you need 2-4 thors anyway to be safe against the first muta spawn..

and if the zerg mass muta just sit in your base and turret everything and spread your thors.. if you reach like +10 Thors with 2/2 maybe 3/3 just go fucking kill him with your thor+bf hellion army

i like those matches because if i scout this it's a mostly a freewin
Immutant
Profile Joined November 2010
Singapore201 Posts
April 07 2012 12:50 GMT
#128
@Squigly: The problem is that he advances with roaches, throw IT, then retreats.
But thanks for the info about tank range vs infestor, I haven't thought about that.

@saaaa: what happens when they get broodlords?
saaaa
Profile Joined November 2010
Germany419 Posts
April 07 2012 18:38 GMT
#129
On April 07 2012 21:50 Immutant wrote:
@saaaa: what happens when they get broodlords?


broodlords with muta or what do you mean?
iTzSnypah
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States1738 Posts
April 07 2012 19:00 GMT
#130
Whenever I mech I find that I only win if I only get 6 or so tanks with the rest Thor Hellion. Whenever I go mostly tanks I lose to mass roach.
Team Liquid needs more Terrans.
RaE21
Profile Joined September 2010
United States260 Posts
April 07 2012 19:15 GMT
#131
Just as a general comment, I've been meching TvZ in high masters with pretty decent success. As mentioned, the hardest possible scenarios I find is broodlord infestor roach compositions. This build that the OP outlined is actually pretty effective early-mid game, but it largely relies on denying scouting the mech composition plan as long as possible.

With the current metagame, zergs will almost always blind tech from ling infestor into hive tech, with fast double upgrades Stephano style. While the OP's mech style is largely a surprise attack using BF hellions as an opening to blind counter the zerg or take them by surprise, if the mech path is scouted you HAVE to adapt. Playing a mech style requires a more reactive playstyle than when playing traditional marine/tank, and it does require a lot of understanding of the game. Oftentimes you have to think both in the zerg mindset and then react as the terran. If the zerg sees mass bf hellion, roach is most probable counter, so make tanks. When zerg sees the tank switch, they will tech to broodlords, so prepare vikings. If zerg sees vikings tanks and thors, they will try for a ling or roach switch. Point is, zerg tech switches are alot harder to deal with as a mech terran and it requires a lot more stress on decision making and game sense.

saaaa
Profile Joined November 2010
Germany419 Posts
April 07 2012 20:54 GMT
#132
On April 08 2012 04:00 iTzSnypah wrote:
Whenever I mech I find that I only win if I only get 6 or so tanks with the rest Thor Hellion. Whenever I go mostly tanks I lose to mass roach.


You loose against mass roaches with mass tanks? Don't you siege them?


I like to have 8-10 Tanks and the rest Thor+Hellion... with this number you can shut down the most roach attacks because tanks rip them apart and the zerg can not just run with infestor to use their energy (fungal, neural etc)
Squigly
Profile Joined February 2011
United Kingdom629 Posts
April 09 2012 02:44 GMT
#133
On April 08 2012 04:00 iTzSnypah wrote:
Whenever I mech I find that I only win if I only get 6 or so tanks with the rest Thor Hellion. Whenever I go mostly tanks I lose to mass roach.


Could you give a replay where this has happened? As tanks are the units you need to counter mass roach
iTzSnypah
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States1738 Posts
April 09 2012 03:02 GMT
#134
On April 09 2012 11:44 Squigly wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 08 2012 04:00 iTzSnypah wrote:
Whenever I mech I find that I only win if I only get 6 or so tanks with the rest Thor Hellion. Whenever I go mostly tanks I lose to mass roach.


Could you give a replay where this has happened? As tanks are the units you need to counter mass roach


Unfortunately no. I started using sc2gears mid season and I deleted all old reps (had ~12mb of them). I was specifically talking about speed roach on creep however as after the first volley of siege fire my tanks get surrounded. Wave killing (as each volley fires) I found to not be as good as constant dps (thors fast attack rate).
Team Liquid needs more Terrans.
Squigly
Profile Joined February 2011
United Kingdom629 Posts
April 09 2012 03:07 GMT
#135
On April 09 2012 12:02 iTzSnypah wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 09 2012 11:44 Squigly wrote:
On April 08 2012 04:00 iTzSnypah wrote:
Whenever I mech I find that I only win if I only get 6 or so tanks with the rest Thor Hellion. Whenever I go mostly tanks I lose to mass roach.


Could you give a replay where this has happened? As tanks are the units you need to counter mass roach


Unfortunately no. I started using sc2gears mid season and I deleted all old reps (had ~12mb of them). I was specifically talking about speed roach on creep however as after the first volley of siege fire my tanks get surrounded. Wave killing (as each volley fires) I found to not be as good as constant dps (thors fast attack rate).


Hmm, try and get a game where you think you lost to mass roaches because of too many tanks and not enough thors. In theory (and my experience) 8-10 tanks shred roaches and they lose sooo many before they even get to the tanks that the thors clean up the rest fine.

I expect that you are getting caught unsieged (or not sieged quick enough). You need to be sieged and able to hit the roaches as soon as they enter tank range. Starting to siege then is too late.
ReadySetFire
Profile Joined October 2011
Kuwait545 Posts
April 09 2012 06:42 GMT
#136
Siege tanks need a buff

even if a small one
hooberschmit
Profile Joined June 2011
Canada101 Posts
April 09 2012 07:05 GMT
#137
I feel like if i make it to late game, i can win fairly easily. I go a mainly thor hellion viking army, with banshees to help with ultras and roaches, and raves to aid with corruptors. I get quite a few tanks also, as i feel they are essential for defending against any mass roach play with infestors in the midgame, but once they die i hardly ever rebuild them. Keep in mind i also go for double armory, and once my mech ups finish, i immediately race for 3-3 air.
"I gotta do some vacuuming really fast WSHHHHHH" - Day[9]
BobTheSCV
Profile Joined May 2011
Sweden37 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-09 11:53:30
April 09 2012 11:38 GMT
#138
How do you attack an army when you have a seige tank heavy composition? Defending is easy enough, you just sit there, let the hellions, if available, absorb damage, and the tanks turn the rochies to a fine red paste. But in the opposite scenario.

I find nothing more terrifying than when the zerg army just holds position in the middle of the map, or inches back if you get too close.
SCV ready!
SwedishFish
Profile Joined December 2011
Sweden4 Posts
April 09 2012 11:56 GMT
#139
Extremely good guide! Took me a while to adjust from my std bio play but I must say it is much easier to kill zerg much earilier on if you don't reveal the fact that you are going mech. For all you people in the lower leagues, not revealing more than 4 hellions before you push is vital if you want to damage zerg. Another problem that I saw my friends facing was that they didnt get Thors out in time. this is really important to place that armory at the 8minute mark for the upgrades and thors. If you are in a base trade situation with zerg you should go for it, just lift your buildings and it gg for them
“Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently.” – Henry Ford
Gamma4
Profile Joined March 2011
Australia75 Posts
April 09 2012 12:25 GMT
#140
sounds good build i like the catagorisation too tyty
Just Huking around ;)
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 13 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
00:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 183
ProTech121
Nina 76
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2147
Shuttle 1102
Snow 89
Dewaltoss 60
Noble 49
Bale 42
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm151
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1098
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor557
Other Games
summit1g8666
JimRising 630
C9.Mang0322
PiGStarcraft282
Mew2King209
ViBE58
ArmadaUGS42
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream79
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Response 20
• practicex 18
• Letter147
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota248
League of Legends
• Lourlo1064
• Rush656
• Stunt253
Other Games
• Scarra713
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
8h 41m
OSC
17h 41m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 5h
Online Event
1d 6h
FEL
1d 11h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 12h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 14h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.