• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:36
CEST 20:36
KST 03:36
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9490 users

[G] Reversible Jacket PvT - Page 2

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
kcdc
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2311 Posts
February 03 2012 00:28 GMT
#21
On February 03 2012 09:10 lolterzard wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 03 2012 09:05 kcdc wrote:
templar+charge is a million times better than colossus tech for defending drops.


Do you use templar + cannons for drop defence, or warp in when you see it?




I recommend keeping a couple templar at each base with some zealots between your main and natural and cannons at your third base and each base thereafter. That plus warp-ins should keep you decently safe. Anyway, I think it works better than defending with blink. Stalkers are good for stopping small drops from unloading, but if you miss a drop or if T goes for a big drop, the handful of stalkers that you leave at home don't cut it.
Markwerf
Profile Joined March 2010
Netherlands3728 Posts
February 03 2012 00:39 GMT
#22
On February 03 2012 09:05 kcdc wrote:
Merkwerf, if you're finding that chargelot drops don't work well, you could try this strategy. I play against high masters/low GM on NA ladder, and my 'drops' often do a ton of damage. But I don't really drop so much as I attack multiple positions. My goal is to get pylons all over T's base and to warp in zealots wherever T's army isn't.

And while it's true that templar tech takes a lot of gas, so does colossus tech, and so does double forge. IMO, templar+charge is a million times better than colossus tech for defending drops.


maybe I should give chargelot drops or multipronged attacks another chance but I just tend to run into small packs of marine/marauder that stop it easily too much. I'm just not really sold on this aspect of fighting on multiple fronts as you can't really retreat easily and terran still has the upper hand in mobility.

As for templar being better vs drops then colossi: in the abstract that is true but the real question is not templars vs colossi, it's zealot-a few stalker-templar vs zealot-a good bunch of stalkers-colossi. Blink stalkers are still the ultimate anti-drop tech and they just combine better with colossi imo. The problem with relying on ht or chargelots to defend drops is that they lack the mobility to defend against drops AND full frontal attacks at the same time.
With blink stalkers you can just have your army at your most forward base while your blink stalkers sit in the main, ready to blink out to your forward base if needed. It's the most reliable way to stop multi-pronged attacks imo and since blink is still quite cheap it's just my preference still. It does lead to the dreaded wait till 200/200 style but that and very aggresive timing attacks are the only reliable way to play protoss really.
Lack of a good harass unit and being the slowest race kind of forces P to play that way..
DeltaBravo
Profile Joined November 2010
United States119 Posts
February 03 2012 01:28 GMT
#23
Sweet, looks like I"m not the only one that does a zealot/warp prism based PvT. I've found that a zealot archon style seems to struggle against a lot of PF expansions, so it might be a good idea to get up 4-5 immortals to supplement your army. Not only do they demolish any sort of building sim city and PFs, but speed prisms with two immortals pretty much guarentees the death of a remote expansion or any undefended addons/engi bays/armories. Plus as a happy side effect they demolish mauraders
Nerf Probes
goldenwitch
Profile Joined August 2010
United States338 Posts
February 03 2012 01:37 GMT
#24
I watched a game of you trying this against street and as a former protoss player and a current terran player, that was absolutely crazy to watch. (even if you ended up losing that game <3)

The zealots are a constant mineral sink. If you make zealots from a prism, they will probably die, and unfortunately they will probably do less damage then their cost.

HOWEVER!

This is totally balanced out by how many expansions you can take with the terran player pinned back defending this stuff.
That said, I think in the game I watched you took it too far. There hits a point where you already have 4-5 bases, and you don't gain anything by continuing the ineffectual harass.

I think that this is a surprisingly stable way to play pvt and more importantly, in the worst case scenario of a terran player heavily invested in drop defense, you have a clear clean cut transition to make.

If you need someone else to test it against, add goldenwitch.967. That said, I have a rather unusual tvp style so it might not be ideal testing grounds.
Dhalphir
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Australia1305 Posts
February 03 2012 01:52 GMT
#25
Lets assume this goes really well and you pin Terran to two bases while you saturate a third of your own. Would you continue the warpins, or exploit your better economy by falling back and beginning a move to Colossus?
Supporting TypeII Gaming - www.typeii.net - TypeReaL, TypePhoeNix, TypeSuN, TypeDBS!!
Mobius_1
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United Kingdom2763 Posts
February 03 2012 01:54 GMT
#26
Can I just say, as a Terran, this is a scary guide. Unlike vs Z where Mutas and Lings runbies are a constant threat, we Terrans pretty much never put turrets or leave marines (marauders) around the base for defense vs P, just a turret at the natural entrance in case of DTs but nothing more. Sure it would be less effective if the opponent is prepared but that preparation will reduce his main army's effectiveness in both micro and macro.

Oh and fully upgraded Zealots are like the best unit in the history of video games. A decent sized warpin can wreak total havoc in my base.

Oh wait I just sorta bumped this for more P's to see. T__T (Did any of that sound like whining? If so I'm sorry, I'm just being objective and congratulating the OP on an outstanding guide to a really effective aggressive style that is not very common in SC2 PvT)
Starleague Forever. RIP KT Violet~
TuckFexas
Profile Joined July 2011
United States154 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-03 02:05:10
February 03 2012 02:01 GMT
#27
Would the HuK 20 food expo work with this? or is there some problem with it that i am unaware of?

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=223726
Texas is to f*cking hot.
Arch00
Profile Joined July 2010
United States233 Posts
February 03 2012 02:33 GMT
#28
Sigh.. first time trying this and I get 1/1/1'd
www.twitch.tv/arch00 ~ Arch.391 SC2
kcdc
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2311 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-03 02:56:18
February 03 2012 02:35 GMT
#29
goldenwitch:

Thanks for chiming in. I definitely don't win every time with this strategy, but I'd say I win 70% or so, and I'm still practicing it. I never really used templar vs T until recently, so I have a lot of room to improve in the ghost vs templar micro battle. Also, I think Street is a little better than I am, so it's not surprising that I've dropped games to him. I think I'm 2-2 against him so far when practicing this build.

Also, losing the zealots is indeed a constant mineral sink, but the goal is to trade them somewhat efficiently for SCVs, buildings, and army. Carrying a templar in the warp prism helps a lot with the trade efficiency. I don't know if I remembered to do that in the game you saw. I'll add you.

TuckFexas:

Like I said in the OP, there are a lot of ways to hit this mid-game. I'm sure you can make the 20 expo work, but I'm not a big fan of that build. Even the safe version struggles a bit against 2 marauder pressure, and it's behind my FE economically. The big plus with the 20 expo is the 5 stalker timing and the option to cut defense in favor of extra economy if you know T is gasless CCing. There are tradeoffs, but I prefer the build I outlined in the OP.
TheRealFluid
Profile Joined June 2011
United States501 Posts
February 03 2012 03:17 GMT
#30
Ever since I saw somewhat similar play in GSTL with ZenexTreme, I knew someone was gonna write a guide about it. Good job.
"The wings don't make you fly and the crown don't make you king.||"What do you say to god of gg? NOT TODAY" -John the Translator. "Give me Command" -Yellow.
Latedi
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Sweden1027 Posts
February 03 2012 03:24 GMT
#31
Dude marry me, I'll buy you a ring.
I am Latedi.
JASONB0URNE
Profile Joined September 2011
Australia22 Posts
February 03 2012 03:26 GMT
#32
Thank you, kcdc! We are so lucky to have blue posters like yourself, Alej, Monk and Geiko posting quality guides for us all. Neither terran or zerg have blue posters posting guides non stop like you all do.

I've been using your 1 gate fe guide for the past few weeks and I like it alot but I keep getting wrecked by the 5 marine 1 maurader early pressure at my natural or the 10 min poke off a gasless FE with marines, mauraders and two medivacs. I only just figured out last night that to hold it with two gates you need to be constantly producing out of two gates and not missing warpins for a long time otherwise you get overrun. It's good that you confirmed this notion in this guide here.

Question about this guide, when do you get your fourth gas? Do you get it after the possible 10 min poke by Terran or before then? I feel as though you need it beforehand?
dynwar7
Profile Joined May 2011
1983 Posts
February 03 2012 03:39 GMT
#33
Sensor tower > WP harass and Pylons
Regarding the imbalance, hilarious to see Zergs defending themselves....
kcdc
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2311 Posts
February 03 2012 03:41 GMT
#34
On February 03 2012 12:26 JASONB0URNE wrote:
Thank you, kcdc! We are so lucky to have blue posters like yourself, Alej, Monk and Geiko posting quality guides for us all. Neither terran or zerg have blue posters posting guides non stop like you all do.

I've been using your 1 gate fe guide for the past few weeks and I like it alot but I keep getting wrecked by the 5 marine 1 maurader early pressure at my natural or the 10 min poke off a gasless FE with marines, mauraders and two medivacs. I only just figured out last night that to hold it with two gates you need to be constantly producing out of two gates and not missing warpins for a long time otherwise you get overrun. It's good that you confirmed this notion in this guide here.

Question about this guide, when do you get your fourth gas? Do you get it after the possible 10 min poke by Terran or before then? I feel as though you need it beforehand?


Glad to help. I really like this style of play--it's so much more fun to play, and I'll admit that I posted the guide somewhat in the hopes that I'd have a chance to see better players using this style as well. I like watching streams, but Turtle Toss and all-ins are getting a little old.

About the 4th gas, I don't seem to need it until after my DT shrine. There's a hump where you're gas-starved as you're teching up, but after that, most of your spending is on zealots, gates, nexii and probes, so 3 gas feels like enough unless I want to warp in a bunch of DT's or, later, tech colossus.
AfricanPsycho
Profile Joined December 2011
South Africa158 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-03 04:30:51
February 03 2012 04:30 GMT
#35
I'm curious, how would you hold a 111 if someone tricks you into thinking they are going for another BO. Im ecpecially worried about the cloak varient.

Great guide btw, there are not enough PvT style guides out there, or not enough variety I should say, it seems the 3 gate robo reigns supreme.
gg no re
AfricanPsycho
Profile Joined December 2011
South Africa158 Posts
February 03 2012 04:39 GMT
#36
I just had to mention. The reason I think this build is so awesome is that it exploit the warp in ability offensivly vs terran, which isn't done at all in the current metagame (defend defend defend -> kill him).
gg no re
Yoshi Kirishima
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States10382 Posts
February 03 2012 05:02 GMT
#37
Interesting, I haven't thought of bringing a probe to make a pylon. I wonder why pros haven't done this before? (i haven't seen it at least)

It sounds useful and forces terran to be really careful where and how much of his forces he breaks off from his main to defend harass
Mid-master streaming MECH ONLY + commentary www.twitch.tv/yoshikirishima +++ "If all-in fails, all-in again."
RAGEMOAR The Pope
Profile Joined February 2011
United States216 Posts
February 03 2012 05:13 GMT
#38
Does the plaid camouflage you from cloaked banshees better, or do you stick to the plain brown?
Rotcod
Profile Joined November 2010
United Kingdom138 Posts
February 03 2012 05:24 GMT
#39
Have you got any more replays vs three rax? I always struggle with three rax and i normally get 3 gates. Cool guide! <3
ZeromuS
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada13425 Posts
February 03 2012 05:46 GMT
#40
This looks super cool will definitely practice it out :D I love warping in zealots against Terran they never know how much to bring its very true.
StrategyRTS forever | @ZeromuS_plays | www.twitch.tv/Zeromus_
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 1
ComeBackTV 747
SteadfastSC468
EnkiAlexander 77
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 468
UpATreeSC 161
BRAT_OK 61
JuggernautJason52
PtitDrogo 39
MindelVK 22
Codebar 16
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 33536
Soulkey 333
Dewaltoss 126
Mind 43
Trap 30
ToSsGirL 26
Shine 19
Dota 2
Dendi965
qojqva828
Counter-Strike
fl0m1321
Fnx 753
shoxiejesuss680
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King104
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes2633
Khaldor1975
Liquid`Hasu692
Other Games
Grubby3160
ArmadaUGS1274
B2W.Neo548
ceh9506
byalli441
C9.Mang0174
Chillindude107
Trikslyr58
Railgan21
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream81
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 14
• Reevou 6
• IndyKCrew
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Migwel
• intothetv
• Kozan
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki29
• blackmanpl 26
• 80smullet 13
• FirePhoenix13
• ZZZeroYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• BSLYoutube
League of Legends
• TFBlade1070
Other Games
• imaqtpie1047
• Scarra482
• Shiphtur306
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
15h 24m
OSC
18h 24m
Stellar Fest
18h 24m
OSC
1d 5h
Stellar Fest
1d 18h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.