• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:16
CEST 17:16
KST 00:16
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War185.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202620Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November] ASL22 General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9942 users

[H] How to beat this T build, PvT GM league - Page 4

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Whitewing
Profile Joined October 2010
United States7483 Posts
September 13 2011 23:36 GMT
#61
On September 14 2011 07:35 Artunit wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 13 2011 23:28 Sea_Food wrote:
More zealots and immortals, less stalkers (dont make more than 1) less sentries (dont make more than 2.)

Althou that is the key of holding every terran rush atm.




Then if so how can you deal with banshees?


Kill everything but the banshees then warp in stalkers after you've cleared out the ground.
Strategy"You know I fucking hate the way you play, right?" ~SC2John
DoctorFunk
Profile Joined September 2011
160 Posts
September 13 2011 23:43 GMT
#62
I've been doing this build for a while. It's more deadly if it's done by delaying the starport and opting for siege mode while te Thor is building instead. It will finish before your push hits. It's good to siege that one tank below the ramp.
RedMosquito
Profile Joined September 2010
United States280 Posts
September 14 2011 00:20 GMT
#63
lol its the basic thor rush with a tank mixed in. he gets a slightly earlier gas so he can afford the tank and the thor without delay. he's just utilizing the lost factory building time while your waiting for the armory to finish. theres nothing new here
Whitewing
Profile Joined October 2010
United States7483 Posts
September 14 2011 00:31 GMT
#64
On September 14 2011 08:11 Blazinghand wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 14 2011 07:35 Artunit wrote:
On September 13 2011 23:28 Sea_Food wrote:
More zealots and immortals, less stalkers (dont make more than 1) less sentries (dont make more than 2.)

Althou that is the key of holding every terran rush atm.




Then if so how can you deal with banshees?

Whitewing and Mewo both suggested reactive stalker warpins:
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=265049&currentpage=2#24
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=265049&currentpage=2#25


Show nested quote +
On September 14 2011 07:51 Salient wrote:
I think the answer is so simple that we miss it. A standard 4-gate will destroy his build. He has 9 unupgraded marines at 5:55. I believe a standard 4 gate is an excellent counter to any 1-1-1 build because the tech will slow him down. I think we Protoss players are losing because of the metagame. We don't think to go 4 gate because it was nerfed months ago. Terrans react to our newer expand builds by teching up. They feel safe in the knowledge that Protoss players almost never 4 gate against terran anymore. I do not pretend to be a masters player, but that is my opinion anyway.


I disagree. Although I wouldn't rule out early pressure in general, Terran's ability to scout and make bunkers is pretty strong. The 4 warpgate rush is eminently scoutable, and as a general rule you make a bunker if you sense something is amiss. If your 4 warpgate rush fails you're really really far behind, too, since the terran player has been teching.

Lastly, you have to make the decision to 4 warpgate rush very early, before you know what he's doing. What if he's doing something different that gets a reactor, and he's going to make bunkers? clearly this will not be easy.




Show nested quote +
On September 14 2011 08:01 whistle wrote:
On September 14 2011 03:54 Alejandrisha wrote:
The t build is terrible.. It's like any other thor rush except with a tank. I guarantee that if you pulled every single probe that you had when the push came to surround the army you would have won without losing almost anything. These builds have been around for a long time and there has been a lot of discussion on how to beat them. There is a reason they all went away.. they are just bad builds;
1 Immortal + gw units /w GS + a probe pull instantly wins. It doesn't matter if there's a "transition." If he loses that army and scvs, the game is over.


Just to clarify, do you recommend pulling every probe against early Thor/Marine attacks? I know you said every probe in this post but I'm not sure whether that was for the sake of argument or whether that's the best response to the situation. (I lose to Thor/Marine all-ins more than I care to admit)

I think he's talking about the fact that when terran pulls scvs, he's already taken a lot of economic damage, so if you pull probes and that causes you to hold, you'll probably be ahead.


I want to point out that if terran does a thor/marine rush, yeah, you should pull probes. In general, the larger your force, the less damage you take total during a fight. 5 zealots beat 10 zerglings, but 20 zealots absolutely demolish 10 zerglings, you take no damage at all. That thor rush is pretty damn all-inish, if you smash it with few losses, it's pretty much GG, so it's okay to suffer some probe losses to smash it, so yeah, pull probes against any thor rush build.
Strategy"You know I fucking hate the way you play, right?" ~SC2John
U_G_L_Y
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States516 Posts
September 14 2011 00:42 GMT
#65
As protoss, you can't really scout the difference between Thor/Marine and standard 1/1/1 all-in so you need to be prepared for both.

On September 14 2011 03:25 malaan wrote:

it is simply an auto loss for terran if you go DT expand from the start.


+2

Everyone says FE or DTs is the best way to counter 1/1/1 but when I play TvP with the intent to 1/1/1, I HOPE that my opponent does one of those two things because it is an auto-win for me.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=232753

4k.Warden is way better than I'll ever be, this isn't just Ugly, the random Platinum scrub talking, though I have had a lot of success with what little time I have to play.

I poke with a hellion as soon as factory is done. FE by Toss = immediate armory, move out with 8 SCVs repairing first thor + marines. Auto-win.

If I see a forge and no expo, I know he is 1) - hiding something, 2) - does not want cloaked banshees in his base so badly that he is preparing for it in the only way possible without a robo, so I assume DTs and get a Raven. If I see 3 gate 2 gas no Robo, I assume VR or DTs and get 2 turrets or a really fast raven depending on my tech path. Once I see the first DT at my base I can kill you with... anything, really. You have no money, no charge, no blink, no HT. You have to do damage with DTs or you die and they are pretty easy to scout.

(DeMuslim ALMOST lost to DTs [but didn't] at MLG Raleigh due to great map control and hidden tech by Trickster but it's still a gamble at best, even with good harass and successful ninja tech)
http://tv.majorleaguegaming.com/videos/75451-clr4-trickster-vs-demuslim-game-3

If I see 3 gate 2 gas, heavy sentries like you would against Zerg to expand safely as Protoss, Thor 1-A FTW because the sentries are useless and he can only afford a few zealots. Stargate = Thor, 1-A FTW as soon as he shows up at your base. 4 gate would be a good counter if your Terran opponent blindly goes for Thors and you somehow learn he isn't going bio without an observer, but if he's not dumb he see's you 4 gating and 1/1/1 cloaked banshee FTW.

What I have struggled against with BOTH builds as T is 1 gate robo + 2 more gates that engages me in the middle of the map.

When I try to Thor rush my buddy and he has a fast Robo, he knows the Thor is coming because his observer will find my factory, armory and/or lack of air units, so he will 1) churn stalkers and just kite my marines to death while the Thor slowly makes his way across the map, only to discover that his entourage did not survive, or 2, chrono boost out 3-4 immortals, which will wreck my Thor fast. If I wait for 2-3 Thors, he will have enough blink stalkers to 1) do huge damage to my base when I am in the middle of the map, and then run back to defend or 2) kite me with blink, or 4) go one base colossus/zealot which rapes marine/thor so so so hard. He beats me so badly when he gets a fast Robo that I don't even try Thors, I continue on to 1/1/1 Banshee Tank Marine all-in which, coincidentally, is most easily beaten with the same build order and structure set.

Obviously the unit comp and engagement are different, but that's for another thread.
Alejandrisha
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States6566 Posts
September 14 2011 01:38 GMT
#66
+ Show Spoiler +
On September 14 2011 09:31 Whitewing wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 14 2011 08:11 Blazinghand wrote:
On September 14 2011 07:35 Artunit wrote:
On September 13 2011 23:28 Sea_Food wrote:
More zealots and immortals, less stalkers (dont make more than 1) less sentries (dont make more than 2.)

Althou that is the key of holding every terran rush atm.




Then if so how can you deal with banshees?

Whitewing and Mewo both suggested reactive stalker warpins:
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=265049&currentpage=2#24
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=265049&currentpage=2#25


On September 14 2011 07:51 Salient wrote:
I think the answer is so simple that we miss it. A standard 4-gate will destroy his build. He has 9 unupgraded marines at 5:55. I believe a standard 4 gate is an excellent counter to any 1-1-1 build because the tech will slow him down. I think we Protoss players are losing because of the metagame. We don't think to go 4 gate because it was nerfed months ago. Terrans react to our newer expand builds by teching up. They feel safe in the knowledge that Protoss players almost never 4 gate against terran anymore. I do not pretend to be a masters player, but that is my opinion anyway.


I disagree. Although I wouldn't rule out early pressure in general, Terran's ability to scout and make bunkers is pretty strong. The 4 warpgate rush is eminently scoutable, and as a general rule you make a bunker if you sense something is amiss. If your 4 warpgate rush fails you're really really far behind, too, since the terran player has been teching.

Lastly, you have to make the decision to 4 warpgate rush very early, before you know what he's doing. What if he's doing something different that gets a reactor, and he's going to make bunkers? clearly this will not be easy.




On September 14 2011 08:01 whistle wrote:
On September 14 2011 03:54 Alejandrisha wrote:
The t build is terrible.. It's like any other thor rush except with a tank. I guarantee that if you pulled every single probe that you had when the push came to surround the army you would have won without losing almost anything. These builds have been around for a long time and there has been a lot of discussion on how to beat them. There is a reason they all went away.. they are just bad builds;
1 Immortal + gw units /w GS + a probe pull instantly wins. It doesn't matter if there's a "transition." If he loses that army and scvs, the game is over.


Just to clarify, do you recommend pulling every probe against early Thor/Marine attacks? I know you said every probe in this post but I'm not sure whether that was for the sake of argument or whether that's the best response to the situation. (I lose to Thor/Marine all-ins more than I care to admit)

I think he's talking about the fact that when terran pulls scvs, he's already taken a lot of economic damage, so if you pull probes and that causes you to hold, you'll probably be ahead.


I want to point out that if terran does a thor/marine rush, yeah, you should pull probes. In general, the larger your force, the less damage you take total during a fight. 5 zealots beat 10 zerglings, but 20 zealots absolutely demolish 10 zerglings, you take no damage at all. That thor rush is pretty damn all-inish, if you smash it with few losses, it's pretty much GG, so it's okay to suffer some probe losses to smash it, so yeah, pull probes against any thor rush build.



Let me clarify. If he's doing a thor rush, it means he doesn't have siege mode. He is also pulling lots and lots of scvs. You want to throw everything you have ever made in the game at this since he has no follow up and you (should) have a nexus unless you're doing a 1-base build. He doesn't have splash and he has to kill every single one of your units for the rush to actually succeed. So mineral walk your entire probe force (should be up to mid 30s when the push comes) and attack move them as you engage with the rest of your army. There's no way in hell he can kill all of your units and all of your probes. I usually have 20+ probes and a good portion of my army left over so the game is over at that point. If you don't pull probes you could lose, but if you pull probes you should win overwhelmingly.
get rich or die mining
TL+ Member
ZeromuS
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada13426 Posts
September 14 2011 01:51 GMT
#67
On September 14 2011 10:38 Alejandrisha wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
On September 14 2011 09:31 Whitewing wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 14 2011 08:11 Blazinghand wrote:
On September 14 2011 07:35 Artunit wrote:
On September 13 2011 23:28 Sea_Food wrote:
More zealots and immortals, less stalkers (dont make more than 1) less sentries (dont make more than 2.)

Althou that is the key of holding every terran rush atm.




Then if so how can you deal with banshees?

Whitewing and Mewo both suggested reactive stalker warpins:
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=265049&currentpage=2#24
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=265049&currentpage=2#25


On September 14 2011 07:51 Salient wrote:
I think the answer is so simple that we miss it. A standard 4-gate will destroy his build. He has 9 unupgraded marines at 5:55. I believe a standard 4 gate is an excellent counter to any 1-1-1 build because the tech will slow him down. I think we Protoss players are losing because of the metagame. We don't think to go 4 gate because it was nerfed months ago. Terrans react to our newer expand builds by teching up. They feel safe in the knowledge that Protoss players almost never 4 gate against terran anymore. I do not pretend to be a masters player, but that is my opinion anyway.


I disagree. Although I wouldn't rule out early pressure in general, Terran's ability to scout and make bunkers is pretty strong. The 4 warpgate rush is eminently scoutable, and as a general rule you make a bunker if you sense something is amiss. If your 4 warpgate rush fails you're really really far behind, too, since the terran player has been teching.

Lastly, you have to make the decision to 4 warpgate rush very early, before you know what he's doing. What if he's doing something different that gets a reactor, and he's going to make bunkers? clearly this will not be easy.




On September 14 2011 08:01 whistle wrote:
On September 14 2011 03:54 Alejandrisha wrote:
The t build is terrible.. It's like any other thor rush except with a tank. I guarantee that if you pulled every single probe that you had when the push came to surround the army you would have won without losing almost anything. These builds have been around for a long time and there has been a lot of discussion on how to beat them. There is a reason they all went away.. they are just bad builds;
1 Immortal + gw units /w GS + a probe pull instantly wins. It doesn't matter if there's a "transition." If he loses that army and scvs, the game is over.


Just to clarify, do you recommend pulling every probe against early Thor/Marine attacks? I know you said every probe in this post but I'm not sure whether that was for the sake of argument or whether that's the best response to the situation. (I lose to Thor/Marine all-ins more than I care to admit)

I think he's talking about the fact that when terran pulls scvs, he's already taken a lot of economic damage, so if you pull probes and that causes you to hold, you'll probably be ahead.


I want to point out that if terran does a thor/marine rush, yeah, you should pull probes. In general, the larger your force, the less damage you take total during a fight. 5 zealots beat 10 zerglings, but 20 zealots absolutely demolish 10 zerglings, you take no damage at all. That thor rush is pretty damn all-inish, if you smash it with few losses, it's pretty much GG, so it's okay to suffer some probe losses to smash it, so yeah, pull probes against any thor rush build.



Let me clarify. If he's doing a thor rush, it means he doesn't have siege mode. He is also pulling lots and lots of scvs. You want to throw everything you have ever made in the game at this since he has no follow up and you (should) have a nexus unless you're doing a 1-base build. He doesn't have splash and he has to kill every single one of your units for the rush to actually succeed. So mineral walk your entire probe force (should be up to mid 30s when the push comes) and attack move them as you engage with the rest of your army. There's no way in hell he can kill all of your units and all of your probes. I usually have 20+ probes and a good portion of my army left over so the game is over at that point. If you don't pull probes you could lose, but if you pull probes you should win overwhelmingly.


Im Just diamond so I dont really practice the probe pull to attack kind of thing. So when you say mineral walk you mean you want us to pull ALL probes, stack them onto ONE mineral patch then just A Move them with the rest of the army? Sorry for my lack of knowledge but I really want to understand how Im supposed to pull probes to beat the one base since I never do it.

(I know not to pull them against splash units as its not entirely worth it)
StrategyRTS forever | @ZeromuS_plays | www.twitch.tv/Zeromus_
Alejandrisha
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States6566 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-14 02:19:31
September 14 2011 02:06 GMT
#68
a line works just fine.. As long as you can get a decent surround with your probes at the same time you engage with units and with GS
edit: yeah it's bad against builds with splash (siege tech), but also against builds that have stim as stim marines pretty much have splash just because of their dps..
get rich or die mining
TL+ Member
ZeromuS
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada13426 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-14 02:07:38
September 14 2011 02:07 GMT
#69
On September 14 2011 11:06 Alejandrisha wrote:
a line works just fine.. As long as you can get a decent surround with your probes at the same time you engage with units and with GS


So move then A Move for the surround a la Zergling surround kind of thing I guess? If so cool, sounds good. Thanks for the tip Alej
StrategyRTS forever | @ZeromuS_plays | www.twitch.tv/Zeromus_
statikg
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada930 Posts
September 14 2011 03:22 GMT
#70
On September 14 2011 11:07 ZeromuS wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 14 2011 11:06 Alejandrisha wrote:
a line works just fine.. As long as you can get a decent surround with your probes at the same time you engage with units and with GS


So move then A Move for the surround a la Zergling surround kind of thing I guess? If so cool, sounds good. Thanks for the tip Alej


No he means you mineral walk your probes through the enemy units by clicking a mineral patch somewhere in the map behind the enemy units when you have all your probes selected, thus your probes are able to attack from behind while your other units can attack from in front and you can get the best possible surround and mess up any kiting (i think this is what he means anyway). However, this is making the assumption that all those probes don't evaporate instantly to 15 marines a thor and a tank which I think he is underestimating the amount of dps that is at this point in the game.
Alejandrisha
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States6566 Posts
September 14 2011 03:25 GMT
#71
On September 14 2011 12:22 statikg wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 14 2011 11:07 ZeromuS wrote:
On September 14 2011 11:06 Alejandrisha wrote:
a line works just fine.. As long as you can get a decent surround with your probes at the same time you engage with units and with GS


So move then A Move for the surround a la Zergling surround kind of thing I guess? If so cool, sounds good. Thanks for the tip Alej


No he means you mineral walk your probes through the enemy units by clicking a mineral patch somewhere in the map behind the enemy units when you have all your probes selected, thus your probes are able to attack from behind while your other units can attack from in front and you can get the best possible surround and mess up any kiting (i think this is what he means anyway). However, this is making the assumption that all those probes don't evaporate instantly to 15 marines a thor and a tank which I think he is underestimating the amount of dps that is at this point in the game.

the enemy doesn't prioritize the probes over attacking units until you actually click attack with your congo line. i'd rather have all that dps on probes rather than other units though.
get rich or die mining
TL+ Member
DanceSC
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
United States751 Posts
September 14 2011 05:52 GMT
#72
Put down your twilight council with the robo and get blink? Pick off marines or reinforcements to buy time for your economy to kick in from the fast expand. Follow it up with speed zealot and +1 armor upgrades?
Dance.943 || "I think he's just going to lose. There's only so many ways you can lose. And he's going to make some kind of units. And I'm going to attack him, and then all his stuff is going to die. That's about the best prediction that I can make" - NonY
treekiller
Profile Joined July 2010
United States236 Posts
September 14 2011 06:11 GMT
#73
The replay seems bugged for me. The protoss player goes like gas gate forge then stops doing anything. I didnt know that SC2 replays could get bugged like this. Anyone know what could have caused that?
All good things must come to an end. Therefore, SC2 will last forever
Alejandrisha
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States6566 Posts
September 14 2011 06:26 GMT
#74
On September 14 2011 15:11 treekiller wrote:
The replay seems bugged for me. The protoss player goes like gas gate forge then stops doing anything. I didnt know that SC2 replays could get bugged like this. Anyone know what could have caused that?

In that replay the OP is playing as terran and just showing the build. The protoss is an easy computer ^^
get rich or die mining
TL+ Member
_-NoMaN-_
Profile Joined May 2011
Canada250 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-14 07:01:10
September 14 2011 07:00 GMT
#75
The key to holding any early thor rush is just having a ton of shit. I find some variation of 1 gate/core fe into 4gates-->robo works well. also low sentry count is key; i would say no more than 1 for gaurdian shield, if that, as u need all the dps u can get vs those mech units. I gen get 4-5 stalkers then pure zlot, spending gas on tech (robo, twighlight)
rsvp
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
United States2266 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-14 07:38:59
September 14 2011 07:37 GMT
#76
On September 14 2011 10:38 Alejandrisha wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
On September 14 2011 09:31 Whitewing wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 14 2011 08:11 Blazinghand wrote:
On September 14 2011 07:35 Artunit wrote:
On September 13 2011 23:28 Sea_Food wrote:
More zealots and immortals, less stalkers (dont make more than 1) less sentries (dont make more than 2.)

Althou that is the key of holding every terran rush atm.




Then if so how can you deal with banshees?

Whitewing and Mewo both suggested reactive stalker warpins:
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=265049&currentpage=2#24
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=265049&currentpage=2#25


On September 14 2011 07:51 Salient wrote:
I think the answer is so simple that we miss it. A standard 4-gate will destroy his build. He has 9 unupgraded marines at 5:55. I believe a standard 4 gate is an excellent counter to any 1-1-1 build because the tech will slow him down. I think we Protoss players are losing because of the metagame. We don't think to go 4 gate because it was nerfed months ago. Terrans react to our newer expand builds by teching up. They feel safe in the knowledge that Protoss players almost never 4 gate against terran anymore. I do not pretend to be a masters player, but that is my opinion anyway.


I disagree. Although I wouldn't rule out early pressure in general, Terran's ability to scout and make bunkers is pretty strong. The 4 warpgate rush is eminently scoutable, and as a general rule you make a bunker if you sense something is amiss. If your 4 warpgate rush fails you're really really far behind, too, since the terran player has been teching.

Lastly, you have to make the decision to 4 warpgate rush very early, before you know what he's doing. What if he's doing something different that gets a reactor, and he's going to make bunkers? clearly this will not be easy.




On September 14 2011 08:01 whistle wrote:
On September 14 2011 03:54 Alejandrisha wrote:
The t build is terrible.. It's like any other thor rush except with a tank. I guarantee that if you pulled every single probe that you had when the push came to surround the army you would have won without losing almost anything. These builds have been around for a long time and there has been a lot of discussion on how to beat them. There is a reason they all went away.. they are just bad builds;
1 Immortal + gw units /w GS + a probe pull instantly wins. It doesn't matter if there's a "transition." If he loses that army and scvs, the game is over.


Just to clarify, do you recommend pulling every probe against early Thor/Marine attacks? I know you said every probe in this post but I'm not sure whether that was for the sake of argument or whether that's the best response to the situation. (I lose to Thor/Marine all-ins more than I care to admit)

I think he's talking about the fact that when terran pulls scvs, he's already taken a lot of economic damage, so if you pull probes and that causes you to hold, you'll probably be ahead.


I want to point out that if terran does a thor/marine rush, yeah, you should pull probes. In general, the larger your force, the less damage you take total during a fight. 5 zealots beat 10 zerglings, but 20 zealots absolutely demolish 10 zerglings, you take no damage at all. That thor rush is pretty damn all-inish, if you smash it with few losses, it's pretty much GG, so it's okay to suffer some probe losses to smash it, so yeah, pull probes against any thor rush build.



Let me clarify. If he's doing a thor rush, it means he doesn't have siege mode. He is also pulling lots and lots of scvs. You want to throw everything you have ever made in the game at this since he has no follow up and you (should) have a nexus unless you're doing a 1-base build. He doesn't have splash and he has to kill every single one of your units for the rush to actually succeed. So mineral walk your entire probe force (should be up to mid 30s when the push comes) and attack move them as you engage with the rest of your army. There's no way in hell he can kill all of your units and all of your probes. I usually have 20+ probes and a good portion of my army left over so the game is over at that point. If you don't pull probes you could lose, but if you pull probes you should win overwhelmingly.


I don't disagree with you that you should pull probes, but it's not true at all that the terran has no follow-up - he can easily "all-in" several times, and if he kills the majority of your army each time as well as some probes, you get weaker and weaker each time but each terran "wave" is still just as strong as the previous, so you could eventually lose. For example, MC vs puma on xel naga from IEM cologne - puma doesn't do this thor build, but the same idea holds that MC stopped the first attack but lost to the subsequent attack.

@ OP, sometimes if there are too many SCVs and I don't see the attack coming that fast (7:00 is pretty early), I'll sac my expo to buy time to chrono out an immortal, and defend at the ramp (which is much easier place to hold thor attacks.
Gladiator6
Profile Joined June 2010
Sweden7024 Posts
September 14 2011 08:00 GMT
#77
The same way you stop 1/1/1 can't you stop this with? Just cut probes at around 30 and go 1 gate + FE into robotics with 4-5 gateways. Then chrono immortals out with a 2-3 sentries and rest zealot force, only take 1 gas also. Seems to me this would work, else I imagine you can sacrifice some probes as well if you don't get good timing since you are still on 2 bases to his 1 base. And immortals ofc focus fires the thor/tank.
Flying, sOs, free, Light, Soulkey & ZerO
Xanatoss
Profile Joined May 2010
Germany539 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-14 17:17:02
September 14 2011 17:16 GMT
#78
Regarding Probe-Pulls: Played a T today who did a 2 Thor Allin with a couple of Banshees and a bucketload of SCV's
Though his attack hit really late (aka lot of time to prepare) I lost my whole army and my Natural but was able to retreat my Probes to my Main. While he was killing what was left lowground I warped in 2 Rounds of Units (6 Zealots, 6 Stalker) and as he moved up I engaged with these and 2/3 of my Probes against his slightly weakened army. This time it was not even close. Totally crushed it and won the game afterwards because his lack of a followup. Really appreciate the Probe-Tip, always valued them as to precious to participate in these huge scale battles, but without enemy splash they are indeed overwhelmingly good.
The chair slowly turns around. You see his face, but it can't be. He's not supposed to be here. Not him. Not a Protoss. Not THAT Protoss. MC says, "Hi Greg, long time no see." You back slowly out of the booth. But you can't. It's already forcefielded.
Blazinghand *
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States25563 Posts
September 14 2011 17:22 GMT
#79
On September 15 2011 02:16 Xanatoss wrote:
Regarding Probe-Pulls: Played a T today who did a 2 Thor Allin with a couple of Banshees and a bucketload of SCV's
Though his attack hit really late (aka lot of time to prepare) I lost my whole army and my Natural but was able to retreat my Probes to my Main. While he was killing what was left lowground I warped in 2 Rounds of Units (6 Zealots, 6 Stalker) and as he moved up I engaged with these and 2/3 of my Probes against his slightly weakened army. This time it was not even close. Totally crushed it and won the game afterwards because his lack of a followup. Really appreciate the Probe-Tip, always valued them as to precious to participate in these huge scale battles, but without enemy splash they are indeed overwhelmingly good.


Pulling probes is risky, but as long as you have a plan in mind it can be an effective Xanatoss gambit. I think that terran players may be more used to pulling workers to defend or attack because to an extent it's already done for repairing. That + 5 bonus hp makes them slightly more effective in combat. Still, probes are excellent, and if your opponent is all in you can afford to pull probes.
When you stare into the iCCup, the iCCup stares back.
TL+ Member
statikg
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada930 Posts
September 14 2011 18:00 GMT
#80
I think you should pull some probes, not all though. If you lose all your probes, even if you still have some units left you can be sure the terran still has at least 10scvs +mules (4). At base and you will be way behind and unable to counter attack fast enough.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 44m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 34206
Calm 5568
Bisu 2746
Jaedong 1056
Horang2 706
BeSt 469
Rush 460
Soma 386
Larva 346
Stork 300
[ Show more ]
Light 282
Zeus 217
ZerO 204
Snow 192
910 113
Mind 112
Free 110
Barracks 110
Killer 63
Sea.KH 56
Shinee 40
Hyun 40
ToSsGirL 38
Mong 36
Trap 30
Terrorterran 27
Liquid`Ret 25
Bale 24
Rock 22
sorry 22
Aegong 19
Hm[arnc] 19
Sexy 12
Sacsri 10
Noble 7
Dota 2
Gorgc8296
XaKoH 340
Counter-Strike
fl0m3870
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes523
Other Games
singsing2343
hiko756
B2W.Neo469
Mlord361
Lowko345
DeMusliM204
mouzStarbuck186
Hui .180
Livibee174
ToD101
RotterdaM97
Trikslyr72
QueenE61
Mew2King53
KnowMe43
ZerO(Twitch)19
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 8
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• mYiSmile1169
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Dystopia_ 0
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix21
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3448
• Jankos2131
• TFBlade584
Other Games
• Shiphtur517
Upcoming Events
OSC
7h 44m
Big Brain Bouts
18h 44m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 1h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 3h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 18h
Patches Events
1d 23h
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-08
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.