• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:46
CEST 19:46
KST 02:46
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7108 users

[G] aXa's ZvT: Let's start the agression - Page 4

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12 13 Next All
GuardianEU
Profile Joined June 2011
Netherlands488 Posts
September 01 2011 19:39 GMT
#61
On September 02 2011 04:30 rightstuff wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 02 2011 03:58 commiekaze wrote:
aXa did cover that in the guide. Even after you break his push, the T already has stuff back home and with enough control and good position, the T will drive you back regardless. But this as he explained for the midgame. Once you have enough bases and are in the lategame, you need to be spending resources, so why not why bling nest for busts, I'd agree. I dont know how OP feels about that though.



I can see your point. I'll test it out in a few games if I get a chance to, but what I'm advocating is dropping the bling nest just before, or just after spending 100g on lair. Then, when the marine tank push comes, you can morph some banelings near your opponents base if there is a wall blocking your lings from doing any significant damage.

In practice this may not work, but I'm not really sure how much defense the terran player will have after losing the tanks and marines committed to the push. You could potentially end the game with a bust after cleaning up the push if he's only had time to make one or two tanks. The marines won't cut it for defense against a lot of 1/0 or 1/1 lings. It's just a matter of getting into the base.


But if you don't end the game with that bust, you no longer have any advantage and t may even lead to a dissadvantage. it;s fsafer to just keep your map control and expand, since he can't pressure you anyways with most of his army gone. in other words: "When you get ahead, get more ahead".
Standard.
Xanbatou
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States805 Posts
September 01 2011 19:42 GMT
#62
On September 02 2011 04:37 stink123 wrote:
This build I think would work wonders on the PTR and when patch 1.4 comes out, (with nerfed BFH, and buffed ultras), but atm I think BFH are just too effective against zerglings. Is there anyway you can deal with this other than just building roaches? Or for instance any kind of switch over to BFH or if the terran adds BFH into his army? And how would you deal with BFH drops?


The BFH nerf will have no effect vs zerglings.
aXa
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
France748 Posts
September 01 2011 19:58 GMT
#63
I have a really efficient way to deal with BFH: i ragequit. And i'm half serious...
lowallyn
Profile Joined April 2011
Canada84 Posts
September 01 2011 21:23 GMT
#64
Thank you!
Eat bitter.
commiekaze
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada31 Posts
September 02 2011 02:54 GMT
#65
How do you deal with the one base tank-marine/scv all in? Even cross map on Backwater, its hard to do anything against.
It's Best, Bro.
aXa
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
France748 Posts
September 02 2011 09:14 GMT
#66
Some baneling along mass speedling should help against 1 base all-in, including 7 rax.
commiekaze
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada31 Posts
September 02 2011 13:09 GMT
#67
Ok, so you are saying that if I know he is all inning, to drop a bling nest. What if it's cross map and I cant scout it in time Because I cant get an OV in there fast enough or he denies it.
It's Best, Bro.
Marooned
Profile Joined January 2011
Norway161 Posts
September 02 2011 13:12 GMT
#68
I dont really get this. In my experience very few zergs sit back in their base and are defensive/passive anymore. Isnt it the norm to be out on the map with zerglings for mapcontrol and constatly threatening with a counter the moment t moves out?
I read the whole guide. But still, dont undestand your message.. Maybe its just me
It doesnt take 3-3 marines to render pure zerglings pretty much useless in battle. If pure zergling T can just keep their marines in a tight ball, and when in a certain number (lets just say 30) the marines is so compact (little surfacearea for the melee zergling to attack) and have such high dps that the lings become very uneffective. With medivac support it gets rediculous.
Zinjil
Profile Joined February 2011
United States166 Posts
September 02 2011 14:38 GMT
#69
The build you detail in the OP seems like it could be better optimized. Following it to the letter you can't actually afford everything you say to put in, especially the macro hatch and 2 queens at around the 6 minute mark. The couple of games that I cut out the spines from the build seemed to be better suited to getting everything out in a timely manner, but the level of scouting required to respond to early attacks with no spines and just speedlings is beyond my ability. Also, it feels like the timing on switching drones to gas is too early to have enough drones to support the intake.

I'll have to do some more runs through and testing, but I do feel like with a few more hours of tweaking we could find a better-optimized build for what we're trying to do here.
aXa
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
France748 Posts
September 02 2011 16:23 GMT
#70
I never mentionned any specifics food/timing for everything. So its basically when you can afford it, which is the right way to refine a build order. If you feel like you don't have enough mineral for queens or enough drone to go gas, then you tried to do it too early.
Incandenza
Profile Joined August 2011
United States56 Posts
September 02 2011 17:38 GMT
#71
aXa this is a solid strat, and what I like most about it is that it's an example of Zerg trying to workaround what's been hampering the race for so long. Banelings are dropping in usefulness so fast of late against smart micro, but the just ling shenanigans are smart. I think a big problem a lot of Zergs are facing is multitasking--being able to handle drops, have more than 1 control group of basic units, knowing what the enemy is going, watching for timing pushes etc. Strats like this, whether they affect the meta game or not, should be practiced for just that reason. Thanks for the info.
sc2observer.net
TolEranceNA
Profile Joined April 2011
Canada434 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-02 17:59:03
September 02 2011 17:58 GMT
#72
On September 02 2011 22:12 Marooned wrote:
I dont really get this. In my experience very few zergs sit back in their base and are defensive/passive anymore. Isnt it the norm to be out on the map with zerglings for mapcontrol and constatly threatening with a counter the moment t moves out?
I read the whole guide. But still, dont undestand your message.. Maybe its just me
It doesnt take 3-3 marines to render pure zerglings pretty much useless in battle. If pure zergling T can just keep their marines in a tight ball, and when in a certain number (lets just say 30) the marines is so compact (little surfacearea for the melee zergling to attack) and have such high dps that the lings become very uneffective. With medivac support it gets rediculous.


You don't stick to only zerglings until the 20:00 mark when he has a huge marine ball and tanks It is only a way to play early and mid (or early mid) game, and then later transition into muta ling bling or infestor ling bling ultra/broodlord or whatever you wish. Of course 3-3 marines kill 3-3 zerglings, but you should have something other than lings at that point
Arotsis:"Nestea, what do you think about Zerg?" Nestea:"...Sad."
Stardroid
Profile Joined May 2011
United Kingdom159 Posts
September 02 2011 21:22 GMT
#73
Thanks for the guide, which is very well received. Some confidence in the humble zergling is really going to help zerg a lot, especially since it is done in a way that dictates the pace of the game to the opponent. As a spectator I just always hate watching ling/bling/muta. It's so fragile that I never know 'if zerg has enough', and the outcome always seems trivial (unless there's a complete stomping of T's base or if Z slips up at the start of the midgame and allows a foothold outside his natural). Watching mutas run from marines for 30 mins just isn't fun, and incidentally it's because of this that I've not wanted to ever play this 'standard' unit comp.

I wonder then why you add mutas to your army to spend gas? How are they worth the investment? If you want to spend some T2, why not get a nydus (to negate the defences T will build up such as wall-ins and bunkers against run-bys), drops, burrow? or if you want units, why not hydras (I like hydras!), or if not hydras then infestors, but something that actually supports your ling army?

Best
Stardroid
True wisdom is as valuable as it is rare
Xanbatou
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States805 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-02 21:40:47
September 02 2011 21:36 GMT
#74
On September 03 2011 06:22 Stardroid wrote:
Thanks for the guide, which is very well received. Some confidence in the humble zergling is really going to help zerg a lot, especially since it is done in a way that dictates the pace of the game to the opponent. As a spectator I just always hate watching ling/bling/muta. It's so fragile that I never know 'if zerg has enough', and the outcome always seems trivial (unless there's a complete stomping of T's base or if Z slips up at the start of the midgame and allows a foothold outside his natural). Watching mutas run from marines for 30 mins just isn't fun, and incidentally it's because of this that I've not wanted to ever play this 'standard' unit comp.

I wonder then why you add mutas to your army to spend gas? How are they worth the investment? If you want to spend some T2, why not get a nydus (to negate the defences T will build up such as wall-ins and bunkers against run-bys), drops, burrow? or if you want units, why not hydras (I like hydras!), or if not hydras then infestors, but something that actually supports your ling army?

Best
Stardroid


I've actually been using this strategy since I read this post. I found that 1 gas isn't quite enough to support the zergling upgrades/lair you need, so you have to get at least 2. But I've found that 2 is more than enough for just the zergling upgrades and you end up with excess gas while on t2/getting your third. Typically when I get to t2, I get burrow, overlord speed, the carapace/melee upgrades, and you've already spent a bit of gas. I also try to fit in drops if I can, especially if I was unable to delay their third for some reason.

Overlord speed is good for creeping expansions, burrow is good for delaying those expansions even longer, as well as intel on when they move out. They are all very useful upgrades that I never would have gotten if I spent all that on mutalisks right away.

To be honest, I'm pretty surprised how effective zerglings are against terran armies. In theory, they should not be as good as they are, but in practice, terran players seem to be very late on their upgrades for some reason. Maybe they are spending all that gas on tanks, which are 125 gas apiece? I mean, 5 tanks isn't THAT scary when you have so many zerglings, and 5 tanks are 625 gas, which is 2 melee and 2 carapace upgrades.
Stardroid
Profile Joined May 2011
United Kingdom159 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-02 22:20:06
September 02 2011 22:16 GMT
#75
@Xanbatou thanks for the heads up on the gas costs - haven't tried it myself yet as I'm not home atm. Yeah It's really surprising how swarmy Z can be with lings, negating all those tech units. It's good that Z can reverse the roles like this and tech up by using a mineral-dump unit like T does as it says in the OP. I used to go with the Spanishiwa Ice Fisher style which gets lings when you saturate 2 bases around 7 or so minutes, and they're just so completely handy.

I really think you're onto something with the T2 tech. Mutas just seem such a waste to me. Even just burrow delaying his econ (forced scans, delayed expo) keeps your decisions at the centre of the game... gj!

Oh and when I look at builds for T or P and it says 'and if all he has is lings you can just laugh your silly head right off' or something like that, I can't help thinking - the hand's on the other foot when you've been massing turbo upgraded lings for the past two minutes just to nibble his gibblets off.
True wisdom is as valuable as it is rare
RumbleBadger
Profile Joined July 2011
322 Posts
September 03 2011 04:53 GMT
#76
Read the guide. It's really interesting. I do have a few thoughts though that actually came from playing a team monobattle.

One of my allies randomed the zergling, which I thought was going to be useless besides perhaps an early push. But he just kept producing them... He got on 3 bases and had 5 macro hatches. I don't know if he was hitting his injects, but just seeing the raw amount of zerglings he could produce was insane. And then he did something interesting...

He teched up really quickly like you said, although for him it was because of the upgrades and not for ultras (I <3 ultras) but he also dropped 5 nydus cannals. That meant he could make 5 nydus worms at once.

And with this guide... well, if lings are so useful in their mobility, why not increase that mobility more? It would be something to do while getting ultras out as early gas should be spent on upgrades and lair/hive/ultras. But while getting the ultras on a healthy 4 base economy (again using ling mobility to secure this) why not just start spamming nydus worms? Imagine what a terran would feel like if each of his bases had at least 1 and sometimes 2 nyduses spawning with ultras and lings popping out all over. What do?

In short, I'm trying this strat.

Nice guide! =D
Games before dames.
bioice
Profile Joined October 2010
Canada32 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-03 13:13:56
September 03 2011 13:11 GMT
#77
I tried your build out on ladder and it seemed really effective against marine tank however if the terran scouts what your doing and cuts out tanks and just goes mass marine maruder with good upgrades what do you do to counter that? Also good job on the guide very well written.
aXa
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
France748 Posts
September 03 2011 13:19 GMT
#78
Best counter against MMM is infestor and some baneling.
kushm4sta
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States8878 Posts
September 03 2011 15:04 GMT
#79
The problem I'm running into is that the terran sees my fuck ton of zergligns, so he just turtles on 2 base for a while. Then he comes out with a lot of tanks (2 fact), marines, and a lot of medivac. If this push fails, he pretty much loses because he has no third, but it feels like it is impossible for to me to stop the push with just zerglings, esp because of all the medivacs. Ultras aren't done yet.
OMGUS.net, kush sex blogs every friday night
Oboeman
Profile Joined January 2011
Canada3980 Posts
September 03 2011 15:25 GMT
#80
On September 04 2011 00:04 kushm4sta wrote:
The problem I'm running into is that the terran sees my fuck ton of zergligns, so he just turtles on 2 base for a while. Then he comes out with a lot of tanks (2 fact), marines, and a lot of medivac. If this push fails, he pretty much loses because he has no third, but it feels like it is impossible for to me to stop the push with just zerglings, esp because of all the medivacs. Ultras aren't done yet.


If he comes before having multiple medivacs, you can beat it with pure zergling, as long as you flank.
If he waits long enough to have a lot of medivacs, you should have your lair tech available. I go infestors and crush any kind of bio push, but even with mutas I think you could take it.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12 13 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
16:00
#65
RotterdaM753
TKL 318
TaKeTV 255
IndyStarCraft 190
BRAT_OK 115
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 753
TKL 318
IndyStarCraft 190
MaxPax 143
ProTech138
BRAT_OK 115
UpATreeSC 99
MindelVK 24
EmSc Tv 13
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 909
EffOrt 561
Mini 529
ggaemo 177
firebathero 150
White-Ra 69
Barracks 57
910 50
Hyun 50
Shinee 45
[ Show more ]
Shine 35
Bale 26
Killer 25
Trap 22
ToSsGirL 18
soO 15
yabsab 12
Dota 2
qojqva4036
Counter-Strike
Fnx 738
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4734
crisheroes1563
Liquid`Hasu1144
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi2779
singsing1670
B2W.Neo867
ceh9625
Beastyqt570
ArmadaUGS175
C9.Mang0134
Dewaltoss61
Trikslyr44
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream506
Other Games
BasetradeTV165
StarCraft 2
EmSc Tv 13
EmSc2Tv 13
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• mYiSmile115
• Reevou 8
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix20
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2447
• TFBlade784
Other Games
• Shiphtur257
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
16h 14m
Afreeca Starleague
16h 14m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 6h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 17h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.