• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:34
CEST 09:34
KST 16:34
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror3[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7229 users

[G] Darkgrid Layout - Page 5

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 29 30 31 Next All
ZikO
Profile Joined April 2006
United Kingdom27 Posts
November 10 2011 17:13 GMT
#81
FoxyMayhem,

thanks for the file and the program. I was looking for something like this.

I had to remove camera from the key 3 because it was confusing me a little bit. I accidantely press it and my viewport goes away >.<. Of course, the key 1 is no longer a viewport on any Xel'Naga towers but a proxy Pylon, so is 6. Depending where my hand is, I use eirher 1 or 6 ;p.
I must say that learning this is more complicated that I expected but I can feel like I am using much more CTRL groups and faster.
FoxyMayhem
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
624 Posts
November 10 2011 20:38 GMT
#82
Glad it's working for you, man. I prefer people customize their setups. I personally still have trouble using my cameras, so I'm trying to find a way to use the 'rolling camera' setup on top of this. It's quite difficult to design...

I can see why the camera on 3 would be confusing. It's actually harder for my hand to reach 3 than 2 or 4, so I put the camera there instead (figuring I'll be accessing control groups more often). I'm also thinking of making Caps Lock function like Ctrl, so I don't have to rotate my hand as far to replace control groups.

Some people have PMed me asking if I'll make a version of this layout for HotS. Absolutely! No worries.
mtszyk
Profile Joined October 2011
21 Posts
November 10 2011 20:47 GMT
#83
Great layout, I've been working on a radically different layout for the past week or so and yours is actually very close to mine, except I skipped on grid.

But I like a lot of yours better, so I'm just going to take it with some slight modifications ^^.

Great job! It's awesome.
ZikO
Profile Joined April 2006
United Kingdom27 Posts
November 11 2011 00:33 GMT
#84
Thanks FoxyMayhem.

When you say rolling camera what do you exactly mean? Do you want to jump from one camera to another by rolling a mouse button? I don't know if it's possible. I did not see any command which let you jump from one camera to another, something like hitting BACKSPACE cases to jump between Command Centres.
FoxyMayhem
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
624 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-21 08:17:05
November 21 2011 05:58 GMT
#85
The rolling camera method originally worked something like this:
A: set camera point 1
S: Main Base Cam
D: Second Base Cam
F: Third Base Cam
Z: Fourth Base Cam
X: Fifth Base Cam
C: Camera Point 1

So, in order to scroll through all your bases, you just tap your fingers down your keyboard. The first key sets camera point 1, and the last returns you to it, allowing you to toggle through all your bases incredibly fast and accurately. If you were, say, doing muta harass, when you hit C you'd be looking back at the exact same spot, making the return one easy motion instead of having to cycle cameras and then double-click your control group.

The way I'm currently trying to make it is so Space+Q acts as Ctrl+Q. Space/Ctrl is used in combination with QWE ASDF to recall the cameras, and Alt is used to set them. This way, you don't have to move your fingers hardly at all, just pressing down space with your thumb and suddenly all your unit command become cameras, all right under your fingertips. This leaves two cameras available for watch towers, ramps, or proxy pylons, which would be assigned to ~ and 1.

The problem is trying to use shift+inject with this for Zerg. Inject is on E, and holding shift+space+cycling through those letters is a pain, and doesn't register properly. If Shift was added as a mouse button, that could work, but I don't know if pressing ctrl while holding shift will register as Shift+E and Ctrl+E. I think it won't, it will register and Ctrl+Shift+E, which breaks the whole thing.

The primary solution would be to not have inject command and the cameras overlap. However, that starts to get confusing, and you need 6 cameras for this to work, since injecting 5 bases is the minimum for lategame. The other option is to remove the set and recall buttons (Q is set Camera 1, F is recall Camera 1). I could set the cameras to Space/Ctrl QW ASDF, leaving E out entirely. If Ctrl+Shift behaves as Shift (and thus just ignores ctrl) for the purpose of unit commands, space could become Ctrl+Shift, and one could simply hold space bar, press E, and then cycle the cameras (they'd be set to Ctr+Shift, which would then no longer ignore the Ctrl command). I think this is the best option, even though it requires double-tapping a control group to return to the original camera location. To be honest, I hardly ever find myself wanting to return to where my camera was before macroing or responding to base threats, so this may actually be a boon.

Anyway, ZikO, Backspace is currently set to the space bar, MUCH easier to reach. But space bar is inconsistent on which cc/hatch/nex it places your camera at. Setting individual cameras without any finger reaching like I'm trying to make will allow you to respond to baneling mineral line drops half a second faster, which is the difference between 2 dead probes and 10. Against multipronged harass, it can allow for very quick toggling for super-multitasking.

I'm also changing where tech structures are placed, instead of having their own hotkey, they are placed on the CC/Nex/Hatch keys, so you can tab to them when needed, leaving more room for harass.

Two problems with Ctrl+Shift both being assigned to space bar:
1) It pushes the bounds of the terms of service. It's supposed to be 1 button = one action. While that's still true -- space E behaves as shift E, space Q will be have as Ctrl Q -- the space bar itself is acting as two pressed modifier keys. I'll need to contact Blizzard about this to make sure.
2) Space bar IS used for typing, and changing the function of the key with a third party program (as is required) is going to make this layout a pain. This is why assigning the Shift+Ctrl function to a mouse button may be better. I'll have to play with it to feel it out.

--

mtszyk: Hey man, what's different? I'm always curious as to what people come up with, especially if its just plain better than what Optimus 1.2 currently is.
ZikO
Profile Joined April 2006
United Kingdom27 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-21 12:41:16
November 21 2011 12:33 GMT
#86
FoxyMayhem,

This is at the moment too complicated for me. I have used your standard set with a few modifications because of it's comfort to reach all keys quickly. I still have bases on BACKSPACE. I just use a click on minimap to move to them. I think it's due to my habit.

About the injecting, I played Zerg a little bit and yes injecting is important requiring sort of quick access. But ...
You do injecting periodically always after certain amount of time. Therefore, I would not worry about injecting as much. I would simply assign injecting either to one of the closest key to BACKSPACE or move BACKSPACE close to E. This way you just spam: base jump -> inject -> click on base as many times as the number of bases. and you are done for a while. I would not need injecting to have as close as any other Hotkeys which require continuous access due to Army or base management.
I would also set all Hachteries to one Hotkey and one of the Hatchery to another (does not matter which one unless injecting is done at all bases). By doing this, I'd still have access to all bases making Army quickly and ability to monitor injected Larvas. When it is done, I would just repeat: Base JUMP -> Inject -> Left Click on base again and again, regardless if BASE JUMP is assigned to BACKSPACE or not.

As to rolling through bases and Cameras, I would lose control on those. I need to click on minimap. This gives me precision where exactly I am jumping to; usually at the point where I can see Red Exclamation mark, lol

EDIT: Alternatively, you can Hotkey each Queen. I dropped cameras from 2 and 4 and simply made Gr control on them. I have 2-5: 4 gr controls, RTGHVB other gr controls. I would personally use 2 as All Hatcheries 3 for one of the Hatcheries. And RTGH for Queens and have super fast injecting Zerg does not need as much micro as Terran or Protoss. Zerg needs to make Army super fast. Just make Rely Point at one point on a map and Set camera there.
FoxyMayhem
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
624 Posts
November 27 2011 23:14 GMT
#87
Okay, I have working 1.3, but I need to test it to see if certain elements are actually good. That means getting good with it. I've had wrist troubles, so it might be a few more weeks, but I just wanted those watching to know: 1.3 is looking sick!
RaKooNs
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom397 Posts
November 27 2011 23:31 GMT
#88
Looks really nice however it would be almost impossible to switch from this if you been playing with standard hotkeys for over a year.....
If you don't drop sweat today, you will drop tears tomorrow - SlayerS_MMA
enigamI
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada385 Posts
November 27 2011 23:37 GMT
#89
On November 28 2011 08:31 RaKooNs wrote:
Looks really nice however it would be almost impossible to switch from this if you been playing with standard hotkeys for over a year.....


This is the problem I have. It seems interesting and more efficient, but the time it takes to break my old habits and to once again be conscious of all my actions, is extremely frustrating. I'm not saying it isn't worth it if you look at the long run, but for more casual players like myself it's hard to justify. I imagine it would be even worse for players coming from a broodwar background...

But awesome work. It seems you've really put a lot of careful thought into designing this!
Amaterasu1234
Profile Joined November 2010
United States317 Posts
November 27 2011 23:51 GMT
#90
Alright, I'm gonna try this...I think I need a new hotkey set up...and this one looks quite nice, especially considering I haven't found another one yet...
ZikO
Profile Joined April 2006
United Kingdom27 Posts
November 28 2011 02:07 GMT
#91
You don't learn SC2 again. It takes about 20-30 games to learn your fingers. It's worth trying. If you know what you're doing. Your brain will adapt quickly.
ZikO
Profile Joined April 2006
United Kingdom27 Posts
November 28 2011 02:09 GMT
#92
On November 28 2011 08:14 FoxyMayhem wrote:
Okay, I have working 1.3, but I need to test it to see if certain elements are actually good. That means getting good with it. I've had wrist troubles, so it might be a few more weeks, but I just wanted those watching to know: 1.3 is looking sick!


Awesome but you have done main work already m8
Dhalphir
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Australia1305 Posts
November 28 2011 04:00 GMT
#93
Do you have any tips for unlearning more quickly your old habits?
Supporting TypeII Gaming - www.typeii.net - TypeReaL, TypePhoeNix, TypeSuN, TypeDBS!!
Amaterasu1234
Profile Joined November 2010
United States317 Posts
November 28 2011 04:20 GMT
#94
kk, though I'm just getting used to it, I'm REALLY, REALLY liking it. My hand doesn't move at all! It's amazing! (but really weird...) although, resting my fingers on qwef is kinda weird...

question though: I realize this is ultimately up to preference, but, you have "mouse 3" has your production cycle and mouse 4 as queens (as far as zerg is concerned)...does that mean that the hatchery should be on...say...my "forward mouse button" and the queens on my "backward mouse button"?? 'Cause, currently, that's what I have it set to...and, to say the least, it's weird, but my fingers barely move.
ntvarify
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States331 Posts
November 28 2011 04:20 GMT
#95
I think I'm going to finally take the time to learn this, it looks great?
Also, to Dhalphir, just pracice in customs until you get it is what I do.
FoxyMayhem
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
624 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-28 07:24:37
November 28 2011 07:05 GMT
#96
@Amaterasu: I'm glad it's working so well! I developed it for 2 reasons initially: 1, because I saw the Spanishiwa stream where LiquidTyler had just placed control groups on F and D (hilarious moment in SC2 history, btw), and I realized that there were a lot of wasted keys right under your hands, and 2), the why your hand doesn't move at all: I was suffering from severe repeat stress injuries in my wrists. I wanted to play starcraft so bad, but if it killed my wrist every time, there was no way. I had to design something better.

I would absolutely love to see someone like TLO switch to this. I can't imagine what it would do for him. Probably not before 1.3 is released, though; there are some small but important changes for pro-level players there.

Anyway, I put my hatches on back and my queens on forward. Production selection is on the mouse because the next action -- ordering units -- is on the keyboard. By alternating, you can execute actions faster. It's like tapping F and D, versus tapping F twice, you can tap F and D so much faster and easier. As for which goes on forward and which goes on back, it doesn't matter. My brain is weird though, because I see my hatches as my "base", like a foundation, and queens as an extension from that. Like "home" and "other", so home is closer to me (the back button, hatcheries) and queens are further away. I don't think I can explain it any better, it's just a weird emotional mnemonic.

@enigamI: It takes 25-40 games to get as good as you were -- you can cut a few down by just practicing opening over and over for about 6-7 games. If you're casual enough so 30 games is more than you play in 2 weeks and have no wrist problems, I doubt the switch is worth it. For more frequent players, the down-time is just 1-3 days, with old habits occasionally popping up over that week. Not too huge of a delay, (assuming you're not going to a tournament).

@ntvarify & Dhalphir: Hope it works well! Unlearning isn't the problem so much as learning the new one. If you haven't seen it, I have little phrases and ways to remember the buttons to help you make the transition -- things like 'W'ant 'W'orker, WW, for creating a drone. As for how to learn best, when you sit down to practice for the first time it's best if you practice the opening several time in a row. You know, start a 3rax and make some rine/raud, or 6 pool, or whatever. Quit a bit after the opening is done and restart Knowing those primary commands well makes learning the rest way easier.

And remember: most obscure things (like Ultralisk armor) will simply be on F or E. In fact, everything that can be on F and E pretty much is XD. Between knowing the hotkeys used in opening and knowing the obscure stuff (the stuff you won't practice as often in an average game) is either F or E, you've pretty much learned the setup. The biggest obstacle left will be using your control groups, which, if you're like most people who only use 3 or 4, really won't be hard.

Good luck guys! <3

@ZikO: Thanks man.
ntvarify
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States331 Posts
November 30 2011 22:58 GMT
#97
Just got used to most of the keys, and so far its great! I have tiny, tiny hands so the less movement is just 10 times easier. Awesome layout!

drgrofl
Profile Joined October 2011
Canada48 Posts
December 07 2011 02:25 GMT
#98
1.3
is........................













AMAIBAIIIBIBIZINGIAZIGFNASG!
Rainling
Profile Joined June 2011
United States456 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-15 08:29:25
December 15 2011 08:26 GMT
#99
Really like what you're doing with 1.3. The rolling camera hotkeys and scroll functions look really useful and interesting. I've been having problems with the hold shift cycle through hatches method, because it doesn't really work if you don't have at least one queen per hatch. Having queens and hatches on the mouse scroll would definitely provide a great alternative.

Edit: Maybe you should introduce a hotkey that allows you to zoom in/out with this setup, ctrl + mouse scroll or the + and - buttons or something similar. If that's possible without reducing the efficiency of the setup, it would be helpful if someone using the setup ever wanted to use the zoom function.
epij
Profile Joined October 2010
Germany42 Posts
December 19 2011 14:07 GMT
#100
Looks amazing, trying to switch from Standard Protoss to this Layout.
Ahh Playguu!!1
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 29 30 31 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech161
StarCraft: Brood War
Mong 368
Leta 234
Dewaltoss 112
sSak 52
ZergMaN 36
NotJumperer 34
Bale 33
Aegong 28
Killer 22
yabsab 15
[ Show more ]
Noble 13
Sharp 0
League of Legends
JimRising 550
Reynor45
Other Games
summit1g11333
olofmeister335
Sick207
Happy131
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick634
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream42
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Rush1124
• Jankos531
• Stunt406
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
2h 26m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3h 26m
Monday Night Weeklies
8h 26m
Replay Cast
15h 26m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 2h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 3h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 16h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.