• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:20
CEST 20:20
KST 03:20
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Fantasy returning? PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11297 users

[G] Darkgrid Layout - Page 4

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 29 30 31 Next All
Rainling
Profile Joined June 2011
United States456 Posts
October 12 2011 01:16 GMT
#61
I haven't adjusted my hand positioning, just using qwer for my pinkie-index. I'll try that and see how it works out! Thanks for the feedback.
FoxyMayhem
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
624 Posts
October 13 2011 14:05 GMT
#62
Right back atcha bro, hope it helps.
Mystogun
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States392 Posts
October 13 2011 18:16 GMT
#63
I tried playing a couple of customs v AI to try to get used to this, and I have to say, it's pretty rough trying to undo the muscle memory that i've got built up for warping in units and building probes.

With that said, I think that it's going to take me quite a bit longer before I get back up to my old speed using this hotkey set up, but I think it'll be very good once I get up there.

How long about is it taking everyone to adjust to this set up?
"What I'm sayin' is that there are known knowns and there are known unknowns, but there's also unknown unknowns, things that we don't know we don't know." | SC2: NoiSe.730 | LoL: Galladiator
drgrofl
Profile Joined October 2011
Canada48 Posts
October 13 2011 21:20 GMT
#64
OMG thank you for this!!!

I'm having some troubles...

so what hotkey do you set your hacteries as zerg?

And what are camera keys and how to set them?

thanks:D
Mystogun
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States392 Posts
October 13 2011 21:28 GMT
#65
You just download it and read the OP, should have all the information you're looking for.

Camera keys are saved locations, so basically if I set a camera hotkey (in this case F2) at the Xel'Naga watchtower, then every time i press F2, my screen will center on the tower. Pressing CTRL + Camera key will save whatever location you're looking at, so if you're looking at the tower and then save location, then every time you press your camera key it will center at that location. Very good for proxy pylons, towers, mineral lines.
"What I'm sayin' is that there are known knowns and there are known unknowns, but there's also unknown unknowns, things that we don't know we don't know." | SC2: NoiSe.730 | LoL: Galladiator
drgrofl
Profile Joined October 2011
Canada48 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-15 02:16:33
October 13 2011 21:30 GMT
#66
solved
drgrofl
Profile Joined October 2011
Canada48 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-15 02:16:44
October 13 2011 21:44 GMT
#67
solved
drgrofl
Profile Joined October 2011
Canada48 Posts
October 15 2011 00:36 GMT
#68
This layout really helped me:D
drgrofl
Profile Joined October 2011
Canada48 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-15 02:16:59
October 15 2011 00:37 GMT
#69
deleted
drgrofl
Profile Joined October 2011
Canada48 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-15 02:17:37
October 15 2011 01:29 GMT
#70
Yyou know how you say in terran tips that tab is space bar when you cycle thoutugh production...???

it's not... or it doesn't work. i have to use tab still.

is that a mistake?
FoxyMayhem
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
624 Posts
October 15 2011 17:56 GMT
#71
Hey guys, if I'm slow in responding, make sure to send me a PM.

Okay, on to your surviving questions, Drgrofl and [NoiSe].

I've used 4 different hotkey layouts, and times vary when adjusting. For instance, Standard to Grid took me about 40-50 games to return to full speed, though I did get better at other things in that time too. To go from Darkgrid to Optimus it took me about 20 games. Others switching from Standard to Optimus took about 20, give or take, it's actually much easier to switch to than Standard to Grid.

If you're planning on making full use of the camera hotkeys, expect to have to train that a bit (never let yourself not make them, make games of having a friend call out which base or tower you need to view and practice using the camera keys to do so, etc). That can take more time, because you're essentially upgrading your skills, not just changing layouts. It's a lot of work, but you get so much faster doing it.

@drgrofl: I'm glad the layout is helping!

Camera hotkeys are kind of like control groups, but instead of saving a selection to be recalled later, you save a camera position. For instance, if I set a camera hotkey on my third base, when it's getting dropped it takes me less time to respond and pull my workers away. This is a huge deal versus baneling drops, where a second can mean the difference between 2 probes lost or 10.

"Yyou know how you say in terran tips that tab is space bar when you cycle thoutugh production...???" Ah yes, thank you, I forgot about that. I need to correct that, there was a time when spacebar did that, but I changed it back to make switching easier (and since it doesn't make a huge difference).

I'm working on refining the current camera controls and integrating the Camera Rolling technique technique by michaelhasanalias. Pretty difficult, so figuring this out is going to take some time. I'm hoping to get in touch with him and coordinate on the effort.
drgrofl
Profile Joined October 2011
Canada48 Posts
October 15 2011 22:35 GMT
#72
On October 16 2011 02:56 FoxyMayhem wrote:
Hey guys, if I'm slow in responding, make sure to send me a PM.

Okay, on to your surviving questions, Drgrofl and [NoiSe].

I've used 4 different hotkey layouts, and times vary when adjusting. For instance, Standard to Grid took me about 40-50 games to return to full speed, though I did get better at other things in that time too. To go from Darkgrid to Optimus it took me about 20 games. Others switching from Standard to Optimus took about 20, give or take, it's actually much easier to switch to than Standard to Grid.

If you're planning on making full use of the camera hotkeys, expect to have to train that a bit (never let yourself not make them, make games of having a friend call out which base or tower you need to view and practice using the camera keys to do so, etc). That can take more time, because you're essentially upgrading your skills, not just changing layouts. It's a lot of work, but you get so much faster doing it.

@drgrofl: I'm glad the layout is helping!

Camera hotkeys are kind of like control groups, but instead of saving a selection to be recalled later, you save a camera position. For instance, if I set a camera hotkey on my third base, when it's getting dropped it takes me less time to respond and pull my workers away. This is a huge deal versus baneling drops, where a second can mean the difference between 2 probes lost or 10.

"Yyou know how you say in terran tips that tab is space bar when you cycle thoutugh production...???" Ah yes, thank you, I forgot about that. I need to correct that, there was a time when spacebar did that, but I changed it back to make switching easier (and since it doesn't make a huge difference).

I'm working on refining the current camera controls and integrating the Camera Rolling technique technique by michaelhasanalias. Pretty difficult, so figuring this out is going to take some time. I'm hoping to get in touch with him and coordinate on the effort.

Dude... you are the nicest teamliquider in the world. NO DOUBT.
rohanim41
Profile Joined August 2011
Canada60 Posts
October 15 2011 23:45 GMT
#73
I am no progamer and I don't know if any use it, but often, every probe I make + a couple random buildings, all end up being automatically hotkeyed to ctrl group 0, it's cool to have a probe count but can it be illegal playing with this in a tournament. It could be considered external ressources giving you an unequal advantage, still quite small.

Other than that, it's really awesome, I really had struggle hitting every key correctly under pressure but with every thing in the same place, it's much less trouble getting stressed ingame.
As protoss I couldnt play without it.
It's just a game.... but it's a damn good game !
fatum
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Spain83 Posts
October 15 2011 23:48 GMT
#74
Imo you are trying to avoid the use of the pinky because it is a weak finger, when it can be trained and become a strong finger.
Aim to climb as high as you can dream.
FoxyMayhem
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
624 Posts
October 19 2011 04:08 GMT
#75
The pinkie still has plenty of responsibilities, but giving it half of the work when you have five didgets, which is what Grid does is just a bad idea. But reducing the workload on the pinkie isn't even the main accomplishment of the layout.
ZikO
Profile Joined April 2006
United Kingdom27 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-05 17:46:04
November 05 2011 13:43 GMT
#76
Hi FoxyMayhem,

Do you mind providing a link to the graphic file you have made. It's ok if you don't have it. I can make it myself but it would be just faster. Thanks.

I have checked all three set ups and I've that Hotkeys for the same functions in the each profile are different. For instance, in "Keyboard only" and "no F-keys", basic buildings are under F and building Pylons are under E keys. In "Mouse" set up, these Hotkeys are elsewhere: basic building is under E key and Pylon is under W.

My Pinky is "Extra small" ;p and I tried configuration with moving all this from Q to A but I realised that I prefer to move hand a little bit and reach Q because then I quickly reach SHIFT (with pinky) for multiple warpings. When I do it with pinky pressing A and then SHIFT than I am not very quick. Lol, how strange, isn't it !

rohanim41
Profile Joined August 2011
Canada60 Posts
November 05 2011 14:16 GMT
#77
Well, personnally, I always leave my pinky lying on the Q, the attack command/Zealot warping, and it doesn't have much moving to do since you rarely use A for moving instead of right clicking, i don't really use the Z key cuz I play protoss so...

Was this layout achieves is putting every Usefull command and every control group, within the same half of the keyboard. You have access to all 10 control groups and 8 cam positions, and the most useful is that all spells will always be on the same hotkeys(F,E,W,Q which your fingers are resting on by default ), once you know them, it's really easy because they are the same keys you use to build units and buildings. Most used fingers are still the Index and middle finger
I couldn't do without it now !
It's just a game.... but it's a damn good game !
hyx
Profile Joined March 2011
Germany2 Posts
November 07 2011 09:56 GMT
#78
really really nice in theory... i hope my fingers will accept it

the only thing i've to adjust is my hatch control. i like to have every single hatch on a key, also for injects. maybe i use the mineral line hotkeys, but they seemed to be a bit to far away for often use.

Tezkat
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Canada72 Posts
November 07 2011 18:56 GMT
#79
I've been using a highly customized layout inspired by this one for a couple of months now. Sooooo much better than the slightly modified standard layout I was using before (especially for Random).

On November 07 2011 18:56 hyx wrote:
really really nice in theory... i hope my fingers will accept it

the only thing i've to adjust is my hatch control. i like to have every single hatch on a key, also for injects. maybe i use the mineral line hotkeys, but they seemed to be a bit to far away for often use.



Backspace inject methods are pretty easy to pull off with most versions of this layout. You have so many control groups at your fingertips that you don't have to make major changes to your control group organization if you already have something that worked for you, though. I personally didn't like having production/queens/bases on the mouse... (I use my mouse for camera hotkeys, which is way a better fit for my style.)

FoxyMayhem
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
624 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-08 21:38:00
November 08 2011 21:35 GMT
#80
Oh dear, I didn't realize Mouse was off like that. I'll have to fix that with version 1.3. The main difference in 1.3 is the "move" command has been removed making more room for commands like liftoff and land, patrol is placed where move was, making it easier to reach, and the marine has two hotkeys you can tap back and forth with, F and D, for faster and more accurate marine production.

I'm glad people are modifying it to fit their uses! I've done my best to make it universal and efficient, but there are a lot of things that are just preference. I'm trying to figure out how to use the rolling camera method with this, but it's being quite a bugger to do.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=e733250a727fc728#!/?cid=e733250a727fc728&sc=documents&id=E733250A727FC728!123
There's the graphics file I'm working with (using Inkscape, a fantastic program). keyboard.svg. You can see the current versions, and some new ones I was trying to create. The ones tagged 1.2 are the current ones, I believe.

Remember to PM me when you guys ask a question in the thread. I try to check regularly, but it goes for weeks without posts so sometimes I forget.

Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 29 30 31 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
00:00
#14
Clem vs Harstem
Harstem490
IndyStarCraft 233
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Harstem 525
IndyStarCraft 233
Railgan 79
BRAT_OK 71
JuggernautJason62
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 15344
BeSt 391
Mini 194
Soma 178
Dewaltoss 130
Mind 89
hero 63
Zeus 43
Hyun 40
ToSsGirL 24
[ Show more ]
NaDa 22
Bale 21
Rock 18
PianO 16
Sacsri 5
Dota 2
Gorgc4818
qojqva2703
420jenkins545
Counter-Strike
fl0m4325
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4883
Khaldor1513
Liquid`Hasu1109
MindelVK11
Other Games
FrodaN1688
B2W.Neo849
byalli414
Hui .282
QueenE75
Mew2King50
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1158
BasetradeTV197
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream49
StarCraft 2
angryscii 17
[ Show 20 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 34
• Reevou 9
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 48
• blackmanpl 19
• 80smullet 5
• FirePhoenix3
• niya90s1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 4297
League of Legends
• Nemesis1867
Other Games
• imaqtpie764
• Shiphtur287
• WagamamaTV229
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
41m
BSL Open Qualifier
41m
Replay Cast
4h 41m
Afreeca Starleague
15h 41m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
16h 41m
Monday Night Weeklies
21h 41m
Replay Cast
1d 4h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 15h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 16h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.