• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:07
CEST 01:07
KST 08:07
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)61Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games BW General Discussion Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9102 users

[G] 5 Roach Rush: early game without the all-in - Page 26

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 24 25 26 27 28 41 Next All
Ragnar4
Profile Joined May 2010
United States64 Posts
September 02 2010 17:37 GMT
#501
On September 03 2010 00:33 xtcz wrote:
Platinum Zerg, trying to move into Diamond. (Hurgh.)



ZvT. A bit more problematic, especially when they decide to pump out more Marauders than Marines. This requires a bit more precision on my part, as more than once, I'll breach but I'll fail to keep up the Zergling pressure in subsequent waves. Once they rebuild that Depot, it'll be tough to get back in. At that point, I'll have taken the my expansion, and eventually move onto macro up from there. Map control and mobility will usually net me the win, but I hate dragging matches out like this. For heavier numbers of Marauders, do you all just give up and pull back your Roaches, or keep going in?



OP suggests that if you see heavy marauders pull back everything to your choke do a round of drones, and begin macro mode, because you'll LOL lose if you don't.
If actions speak louder than words: Why is it when the two contradict, everyone comes back to what I said?
SixSigma
Profile Joined August 2010
United States16 Posts
September 02 2010 18:11 GMT
#502
This build is proving to be just ridiculous against protoss. I have won 9 games in a row now vs Toss and 6 of them were outright (~800 diamond). The three games I had to pull back I could safely expand and move to Hydras (if they were going robo they were dead already) to rape their gateway units. I can see this build becoming the gold standard after the zealot build time nerf. I really don't see how Toss can live through this without a canon wall off post 1.1.

Terran on the other hand are a completely different story. I basically have given up on using this against Terran. Terran generally plays heavy bio these days and that means there is no way to stand against a couple marauders and marines early. If you do commit to the wall and die without inflicting economic damage you will be dead from the inevitable push in <5 minutes. Speedling fast expand into ling/bling/roach/muta seems far superior here.

I am starting to like this build more and more against Zerg. Initially, I hated surrendering the map to the opponent who chose speedlings but now I am starting to take advantage of the small defensive holes that appear when the opponent expands or starts his spire. Generally, I have found that continuing to mass roaches behind you roach wall is more successful than trying to move out of roaches after the early game. If you make a push at the right time, even speedlings will fall the huge mass of roaches. If my opponent went roaches as well I play very defensively and blitz mutas as he will have no answer if I arrive in his base before his mutas are out.

Does anyone have any advice against Terran? Am I just doing this wrong (I use the 13 pool 15 gas version btw)?
Tsagacity
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
United States2124 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-02 18:59:56
September 02 2010 18:53 GMT
#503
On September 03 2010 03:11 SixSigma wrote:Terran on the other hand are a completely different story. I basically have given up on using this against Terran. Terran generally plays heavy bio these days and that means there is no way to stand against a couple marauders and marines early. If you do commit to the wall and die without inflicting economic damage you will be dead from the inevitable push in <5 minutes. Speedling fast expand into ling/bling/roach/muta seems far superior here.

I am starting to like this build more and more against Zerg. Initially, I hated surrendering the map to the opponent who chose speedlings but now I am starting to take advantage of the small defensive holes that appear when the opponent expands or starts his spire. Generally, I have found that continuing to mass roaches behind you roach wall is more successful than trying to move out of roaches after the early game. If you make a push at the right time, even speedlings will fall the huge mass of roaches. If my opponent went roaches as well I play very defensively and blitz mutas as he will have no answer if I arrive in his base before his mutas are out.

Does anyone have any advice against Terran? Am I just doing this wrong (I use the 13 pool 15 gas version btw)?
What specific terran builds have you been having trouble with lately? A day ago I played an 1100 5-rax-reaper terran and won soundly despite canceling my lair at 99% on accident. Against early marauder/marine specifically you need to be prepared to fall back on mass speedlings and not overdrone your expansion.

I've been using 13pool/13 gas and I feel the combination of roaches+speedlings keeps me very safe from any early pressure. I typically fear fast banshee the most with this build, but at least I can usually see that coming when roaches pressure the wall, and I sacrifice an overlord.
"Everyone worse than me at video games is a noob. Everyone better than me doesn't have a life."
RampancyTW
Profile Joined August 2010
United States577 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-02 21:35:47
September 02 2010 21:33 GMT
#504
@SixSigma:

vs. zerg I've been going 14/14 and throwing down an evo chamber after queen (18 supply) and substituting +1 missile for the usual ling speed, and go roach/queen from there on out, works pretty damn well. I like to do a timing push right when the +1 finishes to punish any ling-heavy builds and inflict same damage before whatever else he has coming pops

you'll get thrown off a little bit having to deal with some early ling pressure pretty often but if you micro decent you should be fine til the roaches pop and you can block off your ramp

if he's also doing a late pool econ-build you should be able to steamroll through with the timing push
Fistdantilus
Profile Joined August 2010
United States136 Posts
September 02 2010 21:41 GMT
#505
On September 03 2010 06:33 RampancyTW wrote:
@SixSigma:

vs. zerg I've been going 14/14 and throwing down an evo chamber after queen (18 supply) and substituting +1 missile for the usual ling speed, and go roach/queen from there on out, works pretty damn well. I like to do a timing push right when the +1 finishes to punish any ling-heavy builds and inflict same damage before whatever else he has coming pops

you'll get thrown off a little bit having to deal with some early ling pressure pretty often but if you micro decent you should be fine til the roaches pop and you can block off your ramp

if he's also doing a late pool econ-build you should be able to steamroll through with the timing push


This actually sounds really cool. Keep spotters outside your base so he'll have problems viewing the army size and I think this is pretty decent.
eecs4ever
Profile Joined July 2010
United States106 Posts
September 02 2010 21:45 GMT
#506
very solid build over all. Even in 2v2 situations, early roach is great counter to early reapers/zealots/marine combos. if your opp is light units heavy, eg (lings, marine, zealot/sentrie) throw in some banelings too.

[image loading]

baneling: "i'm great with marines, lings, and workers :3"
If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. SO REMEMBER TO SCOUT ! -Sun Tzu
Andre112
Profile Joined September 2010
Canada52 Posts
September 02 2010 21:50 GMT
#507
noob here with questions

what am i supposed to do when protoss put few canons in their base?
retreat?

Any way to end the game quicker instead of dragging on to 30+ mins

Saw the OP replays. There are a few games with the older 13/15 BO, but made 6 roaches and late speed updrade. Is it better to have one more roach or the speed early?

Thanks
Fistdantilus
Profile Joined August 2010
United States136 Posts
September 02 2010 21:54 GMT
#508
On September 03 2010 03:11 SixSigma wrote:
This build is proving to be just ridiculous against protoss. I have won 9 games in a row now vs Toss and 6 of them were outright (~800 diamond). The three games I had to pull back I could safely expand and move to Hydras (if they were going robo they were dead already) to rape their gateway units. I can see this build becoming the gold standard after the zealot build time nerf. I really don't see how Toss can live through this without a canon wall off post 1.1.

Terran on the other hand are a completely different story. I basically have given up on using this against Terran. Terran generally plays heavy bio these days and that means there is no way to stand against a couple marauders and marines early. If you do commit to the wall and die without inflicting economic damage you will be dead from the inevitable push in <5 minutes. Speedling fast expand into ling/bling/roach/muta seems far superior here.

Does anyone have any advice against Terran? Am I just doing this wrong (I use the 13 pool 15 gas version btw)?


I'm having the same experiences in both cases. I'm going with a 14/14 now, as it keeps open the option of gas stealing against a teching/4gate protoss.

Vs Protoss it almost seems unfair if they are going for 4gate or VR as you win a crazy amount of the time (and this is vs 1100+). It's almost to where they have to 2gate just to live.

Note: I've changed my stance a little, and I now put down one spine if I see the two gate with stored chrono boost. It uses less larvae than hatching several lings.

Terrans have figured out the secret to stopping the 5RR: just build everything at your choke as if you were up against a baneling bust. The trade-off is that it gives their tech away, but in return they can live through any early zerg attack. There are a lot of people who still haven't figured that out yet, but that number will drop. Heck, I even had a few immediate wins vs T today. I still think it'll be viable at some points in time, but I'm trending away from using it every game vs T.
eecs4ever
Profile Joined July 2010
United States106 Posts
September 02 2010 21:55 GMT
#509
On September 03 2010 06:50 Andre112 wrote:
noob here with questions

what am i supposed to do when protoss put few canons in their base?
retreat?

Any way to end the game quicker instead of dragging on to 30+ mins

Saw the OP replays. There are a few games with the older 13/15 BO, but made 6 roaches and late speed updrade. Is it better to have one more roach or the speed early?

Thanks



If he cannons, your best bet is to take your expansion and out macro him and beat him in the mid/late game with your superior econ.


It's risky for you to try to end the game in < 30 min if hes playing super defensive with cannons in his base.... you can try all-in mass roach with nydus tunnel on 1 base. Get the lair, after lair finishes, research roach speed, and get a nydus tunnel, and just build as many roachs as you can to bum rush him. This will work great if he only has cannons near the front and is unprepared.
If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. SO REMEMBER TO SCOUT ! -Sun Tzu
Tahm
Profile Joined September 2010
1 Post
September 03 2010 04:14 GMT
#510
I used this twice and beat terran twice, but lost to protoss twice as well. My problem with protoss was that I roach rushed it was successful in breaking the wall, but then i would see my base under attack by one-three void rays. what can i do to make sure this DOESNT happen. its very frustrating and since i have no anti-air that early, theres not much i can do.
ZodiakLucien
Profile Joined August 2010
United States14 Posts
September 03 2010 04:32 GMT
#511
if you get the ext at 13 and then the pool at 13 you can get 6 roaches instead of 5 at the expense of about 4-5 seconds
Tsagacity
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
United States2124 Posts
September 03 2010 04:38 GMT
#512
On September 03 2010 13:14 Tahm wrote:
I used this twice and beat terran twice, but lost to protoss twice as well. My problem with protoss was that I roach rushed it was successful in breaking the wall, but then i would see my base under attack by one-three void rays. what can i do to make sure this DOESNT happen. its very frustrating and since i have no anti-air that early, theres not much i can do.
It sounds to me like your roaches are late.
"Everyone worse than me at video games is a noob. Everyone better than me doesn't have a life."
Mass1ve
Profile Joined July 2010
20 Posts
September 03 2010 05:33 GMT
#513
With decent timing my roaches are popping at about 4:57. All these so called "perfect" timings in here aren't perfect, people are building drones late and such
Subversion
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
South Africa3627 Posts
September 03 2010 06:10 GMT
#514
Interesting how people are having more trouble vs Terran.

I find I win more outright vs Terran with this build. But I guess maybe people haven't wised up to it yet (I'm only 600 Diamond).

I find its pretty easy to break down a depot and get in, and once I've done that the lings pwn.

I find a good Toss is able to hold this off with a 4gate, but maybe thats just poor micro on my part. In any case, if he holds it off I expand, make a ton of units and drop like 4 crawlers (literally) which is enough to hold off the massive counter-push that inevitably comes. After that its muta for map control, hydras in the mix and usually a guaranteed win if you don't wait for him to get a ton of collossi.

As for using this in a ZvZ I actually haven't tried that. Although to the guy earlier who said he blocks the ramp and techs to mutas, I say tech to Hydra instead. A good Z will see you blocking the choke like that and immediately try tech to Muta to match you. A 1-base muta build can only get you like 6-8 mutas and not much else. If you then do a timing push with +1 Roach ball with a bunch of less expensive hydras, you can roll through his whole base and his Mutas just drop like flies.

Anyways, I'm having a lot more success with this build since finally getting my timings better, its actually quite a bitch to get the timings perfect on this build, its so damn precise!
ZodiakLucien
Profile Joined August 2010
United States14 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-03 06:38:00
September 03 2010 06:14 GMT
#515
so I found out a way to get 6 roaches at 5:04. Changes to the 13/13 are bolded

9 ovi
14 ext
13pool
15 ovi
Drone
Queen
Ling
Drone
Drone
Warren
Ling Speed
Ovi, when queen pops inject
I take the first drone off of gas at 136ish, 2nd drone at mid 140's, and last done when they bring in the final gas for 150.
reinject
6 roaches (6th roach is a split second slower)

With this changes you cannot spare a scouting drone. This means using this variation would be good for 1v1 maps since ovi scout SHOULD be enough. I imagine scrap station is a good one since you get an ovi in their base really early and the wide ramp. Splitting workers and being on point on making drones and tech buildings on time needed as the timing is really tight.
SeaSmoke
Profile Joined July 2010
United States326 Posts
September 03 2010 06:36 GMT
#516
On September 03 2010 15:14 ZodiakLucien wrote:

I take the first drone off of gas at 136ish, 2nd drone at mid 140's, and last done when they bring in the final gas for 126.



Did u mean the last one for 150??
ZodiakLucien
Profile Joined August 2010
United States14 Posts
September 03 2010 06:37 GMT
#517
yes, my mistake I will fix it
Mearis
Profile Joined August 2010
Italy76 Posts
September 03 2010 06:45 GMT
#518
On September 03 2010 15:37 ZodiakLucien wrote:
yes, my mistake I will fix it


Why do you bother getting ling speed when doing a 6 roach rush though?
angerpowered
Profile Joined August 2010
United States56 Posts
September 03 2010 06:52 GMT
#519
On September 03 2010 15:45 Mearis wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 03 2010 15:37 ZodiakLucien wrote:
yes, my mistake I will fix it


Why do you bother getting ling speed when doing a 6 roach rush though?


Adding 75 minerals and 25 gas to an early push is not game changing.
Just because he's adding another roach doesn't make it an all roach build.
The idea is the same. he's just saying that he can squeeze in another roach with that build

Or at least I think...
"I was SO mad!"
f0rk
Profile Joined March 2010
England172 Posts
September 03 2010 09:07 GMT
#520
On September 03 2010 15:45 Mearis wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 03 2010 15:37 ZodiakLucien wrote:
yes, my mistake I will fix it


Why do you bother getting ling speed when doing a 6 roach rush though?


Because once you're in, lings are the best unit to reinforce and do the damage. Especially when they start making maruaders/stalkers to counter the roaches, which are probably hurt by that point.
Also it keeps the build safe for if your push completly fails.
Prev 1 24 25 26 27 28 41 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
The PiG Daily
08:00
Best Games of SC
BASILISK vs T1
Maru vs Clem
Serral vs herO
Clem vs SHIN
PiGStarcraft5
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
07:00
Masters Cup #151: Group B
davetesta25
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nina 84
ViBE72
PiGStarcraft5
SpeCial 2
StarCraft: Brood War
White-Ra 191
Hyuk 58
Noble 50
NaDa 24
Bale 16
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm144
League of Legends
Doublelift4341
Counter-Strike
minikerr6
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox162
Mew2King52
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5151
Khaldor676
Other Games
summit1g8019
FrodaN1705
Coldzera 687
shahzam540
JimRising 357
C9.Mang0285
KnowMe225
ZombieGrub94
ArmadaUGS68
PPMD47
Trikslyr41
CosmosSc2 15
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick406
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream59
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH366
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21070
Other Games
• imaqtpie768
• Shiphtur188
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
10h 53m
Online Event
11h 53m
FEL
16h 53m
AI Arena Tournament
17h 53m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
19h 53m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 10h
INu's Battles
1d 12h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 19h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 19h
Replay Cast
2 days
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-01
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Proleague 2026-10-02
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.