• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:07
CEST 01:07
KST 08:07
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)61Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games BW General Discussion Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9105 users

[G] 5 Roach Rush: early game without the all-in - Page 24

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 22 23 24 25 26 41 Next All
Kauhu
Profile Joined April 2010
Finland15 Posts
August 31 2010 00:49 GMT
#461
This build just saved me from cannon rush cheese. Scouted wrong side of my base, then forgot to move ovie again. He started razing my base, I expanded to lower side and started macroing again, and took out his base ^^

btw what does LP stand for? Loser Play? Not sure was that a failed smilie or was he raging
sylverfyre
Profile Joined May 2010
United States8298 Posts
August 31 2010 03:19 GMT
#462
I'm really liking the build, my only issue that I can think of is if a toss DOES have even just like... 1-2 stalkers, retreating is pretty much out of the picture, as they can chase you all over the place. I guess a wave of lings after the roaches might deal with that though, I haven't tried this yet. DEFINITELY going to practice this (I play random, but my zerg has been really weak, and I have yet to find openings I like besides the "safe" 14 gas 14 pool early speedling build, which rarely gives me the opportunity to actually attack a non-zerg base due to wall-offs and such.

Even if this turns out to get shut down totally in a month due to the metagame developing responses, I'm very happy to see some fresh openings for zerg! 14 gas 14 pool every game every matchup as zerg is getting stupid :\
nihoh
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Australia978 Posts
August 31 2010 04:31 GMT
#463
Great build against terran imo.
Dont look at the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory.
RampancyTW
Profile Joined August 2010
United States577 Posts
August 31 2010 05:03 GMT
#464
On August 31 2010 06:01 Highrock wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 31 2010 05:14 RampancyTW wrote:
On August 31 2010 01:26 Demi9OD wrote:
I find I am always 25 gas short of 5 roaches when picking up ling speed before roaches. This is using the 13/13 build with perfect timing of drone transfer to extractor over many attempts vs AI. 14p13e flows just right, but I am wondering how you can research ling speed first and still have 125 gas as OL/Larva/Warren pop with 13/13, let alone pull workers off gas when you reach 125.
Your timing isn't perfect, then. I have a replay a few pages back demonstrating "perfect" 13/13 timing

edit: http://www.mediafire.com/?h6bcc9ce8nh8b2d


I see, I had the same problem as Demi90D ( and went for 14 -> 13, thanks for that ) and now I see the diffrence from what I was doing to what RampancyTW is doing, RampancyTW is not scouting on 13.
I seem to remmber scouting as part of the build but I don't see it anymore.
With the 14-13 I can have the 5 roaches at 5:25, you're way gets them at 5:05.

Don't you think the scan is worth the 20 seconds delay?

remmber that scanning a can show you an marauder or stalker build that will demolish your roaches ahead of time, or you can use your probe for gas steal or even setting a proxy hatch in his blind spot if you are feeling crazy.
Especially on 4 player maps I do the 14-13, yeah. But on 2-player maps the OL usually gets there in time to see anything dangerous, and the following overlords will spot most cheese. It's definitely mildly risky but tbh I'm not sure somebody could really punish me for it. Even if they're popping straight stalkers or marauders I use the roaches as much to scout the build as do damage, and they're always a nice unit to have: and the best part of this build is the ability to do a well-timed ling follow-up.
Thraundil
Profile Joined August 2010
Denmark278 Posts
August 31 2010 10:31 GMT
#465
Hey, just wanted to report back in.

For all the people saying their gas timing is not 100% sharp. I am by no means perfect either, for example my drone queue is a bit sloppy whilst scouting. What I do is 14 pool, then 13 gas (ie. gas up imidiately after putting down the pool). I usually have enough mojo for both speed and roaches doing this. So general BO is
9 OL
14 pool
13 gas
15 OL
15 queen + 2 lings to ward off their scout then scout a bit themselves (helpful to sneak a peek up the opponents ramp).
Queen halfway done: Warren.
Drones up to 20, then OL. When warren and inject pops, queue 5 roaches, and an OL more. Then inject, using this inject for lings.

Usually, aside from the very short travel distances, this ends me up with 5 roaches and 12-14 lings arriving outside my opponents base at the same time. Have tried the 13 pool 13 gas a few times, but since I lack the pristine timing (or well. Mostly lack it ) I find I like the 14 pool 13 gas a lot better.

Am now up to 845 point diamond.
I find this works amazling vs Protoss. The only ones that really beat me are the ones who either are a long travel distance away = stalkers when I get there, or the ones going early sentry with a few stalkers and manage to block their ramp. I end up losing to these most of the time, because even if I do pull back I find myself a bit too far behind on econ to pull through since this kind of opponent often follows up with a big push 3-4 minutes later, that I am at that point in no position to repel.
Build is a bit more weakish vs Terran. If they have marauders at their wall when roaches get there, its pretty tough to recover from since he will then often hit me with MM fast, and I dont have the macro at that point to pull a win off.

How do you guys usually react in these situations? I find if I get the units to defend, my economy is crippled and his 2nd push will overwhelm me. But if I get the econ up to deal with a big midgame push, then an early game push runs me over. Both of which are pretty easy to scout for a terran with scan, or a protoss who often gets immortals out once seeing my roaches.
Hivemind! Just like IRL...
gumbo_cola
Profile Joined August 2010
United States1 Post
August 31 2010 11:26 GMT
#466
Just played a Terran, who after the initial rush went all Marauders, and tried to attack my Main. By the time he got there I already had a squad of Mutas, and after I killed all of them I attacked his main and he didn't have a chance. Awesome build.
Kolvacs
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Canada1203 Posts
August 31 2010 11:29 GMT
#467
Very good build!
I use it against my buddies all the time!
Just starting to smooth it out so I can use it more effectively on ladder.
KezseN
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Singapore1450 Posts
August 31 2010 15:19 GMT
#468
Howz this strat goin for Plat btw? its been a while n it seems ppl r now aware of this build..
To Skeleton King: "Have you considered employment at Apple?"
DeVo
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany71 Posts
August 31 2010 15:30 GMT
#469
In Platin i won 100% with this build, now i am in Dia and it doesnt work that good i thought.
Phyrion
Profile Joined June 2010
United States18 Posts
August 31 2010 16:01 GMT
#470
On August 29 2010 23:02 pilsken wrote:
Show nested quote +


So, what should I do? Keep the agression up when he's turtling? Expand and focus on building a solid force? Scout more? Any help would be appreciated.


Build more stuff. Keep your money low. Don't forget to build workers. Don't get supplyblocked. Your losses have almost certainly nothing to do with the strat he or you chose.


If I reach the P's base and see cannons blocking the entrance, I assume ( usually correct ) VR's coming.

I immediately tech to mutas asap as mutas do really well against VR's if you micro and move away before they charge up and then move back in against them. This happens a lot on DO and I usually win.
Psyclon
Profile Joined July 2010
Bulgaria2443 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-31 16:17:58
August 31 2010 16:14 GMT
#471
On August 31 2010 05:30 Malminos wrote:
if there are some you particularly like, I'd like to see some of those replays just for kicks.


I will see what replays i have saved and i will post some.

Today was also a good day for 5RR - 8 wins out of 10 games. The two losses were to terran players. The first game my push failed, cause he had marauders. He had scanned 5 seconds after i denied his scout and saw the roach warren - pretty smart. I switched to muta, got a third base and macroed hard. At one point he pushed with 4-5 thors, marines and marauders. I had about 25 mutas, a bunch of speedlings and roaches and managed to stop him, but with heavy losses. I probably could have base raced - so many mutas can kill buildings pretty fast. But then it seemed he was able to gather his army faster (damn mules), destroyed my gold, then my natural and by that time it was obvious i was gonna lose. I will post the replay later, cause i need a third eye view and criticism.
And the second loss is the reason for me posting now - it was on Scrap Station. Has anyone tried 5RR on this map? I thought the long distance would negate any rush, so i decided to FE and go speedlings. However he was able to cripple me with a kamikaze hellions-kill-drones fest, soon followed by a gazillion marauders. Honestly, what can u do against a hellion/marauder push? Anything but mutas is doomed, imo.

I am yet to lose to protoss, even on Steppes of War, where they 100% of the time go for 2 gate push. I change the BO a bit - sometimes 12 pool, other times 11 pool and the roaches pop up just in time to stop their initial push. Then my counter push is unstoppable.
Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds!
Undercroft
Profile Joined April 2010
United Kingdom166 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-31 17:42:38
August 31 2010 16:32 GMT
#472
I've used 5RR on scrap station, so it can work. A bit of a walk but i have worked it Best was against a T going fast banshee. i ended up smashing in and he lifted to the island so i played the contain game and plotted lots of corruptor/broodlord

[edit]
Another reason i LOVE this build. Just played a ZvT on lost temple. ended up scouting quick 2 rax. later popped my 1st ling pair up his ramp for a quick peek and spotted a 3rd rax and a bunker. I then aborted the push (didn't make any roaches) and swapped to macro mode getting lair etc. game eventually went to muta play to cripple him (while being banshee harrassed back) then shifting more into ling/bling/infestor when he shifted to more marine heavy comp.
Was so much fun. even got a rage quit after i crushed his army for the third time :D
Our dronessssss are under attaahck!!
Rudiment
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States174 Posts
August 31 2010 23:24 GMT
#473
Working pretty nicely for me, and I haven't even tightened up my timing yet. I guess its 'cuz I'm in silver
Icx
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
Belgium853 Posts
September 01 2010 01:41 GMT
#474
Tried this a bunch of times and I am having mixed results.

But overall I really like the opening, definatly not something I would do every game, but I will keep using it from time to time, and incorporate it into my bo list.

Because I am getting so tired of for example tosses just teching (or doing an ultra fast 4-gate) off off like 1-2 zealots+1 stalker or something stupid like that, and I am glad that I have found like a good way to punish them for that, and scare them into not teching as fast or just generally make them watch out more.

The mixed results thing I said earlier actually comes from going against T.

It feels like everytime they see me take the gas early (altough it isn't that different from the "standard" 14 gas 14 pool) they most of the time will just get a bunker or like some extra defences.

Or maybe I am to scared to actually push up? But when I see like a bunker with 4 marines behind a supply depot (and mosty the other side walled with a factory or so depending on the map) I kinda back off, because I don't feel like 5 roaches can bust trough a supply depot + a bunker to let my lings be able to come in.

And when that happens I generally also feel like I am starting to get behind and if I don't pump drones really hard after the roaches that I will completely fall behind, and I have to play defensive again and he follows it up with like a big push including some marauders.

But that may also be me making mistakes in making drones at the wrong points later on.
Tsagacity
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
United States2124 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-01 02:16:49
September 01 2010 02:14 GMT
#475
On September 01 2010 10:41 Icx wrote:
Or maybe I am to scared to actually push up? But when I see like a bunker with 4 marines behind a supply depot (and mosty the other side walled with a factory or so depending on the map) I kinda back off, because I don't feel like 5 roaches can bust trough a supply depot + a bunker to let my lings be able to come in.

And when that happens I generally also feel like I am starting to get behind and if I don't pump drones really hard after the roaches that I will completely fall behind, and I have to play defensive again and he follows it up with like a big push including some marauders.

But that may also be me making mistakes in making drones at the wrong points later on.
You're right that pushing on a bunker'd ramp with your roaches would definitely be a bad idea.

Against a terran that knows the roaches are coming I don't think this should get you a quick win unless they are extremely greedy and/or make some serious mistakes. Be prepared to drone hard after roaches and get the expansion up. You shouldn't necessarily be behind as long as you don't suicide your roaches.

I find the initial 5-roach most useful for simply keeping the terran honest and hopefully gleaning some information from the terran's reaction during that awkward pre-lair phase when scouting can be extremely difficult. Just seeing that he was forced to bunker to defend your push is usually enough to tell that he's probably teching heavily. If you want more than that, try sacrificing an overlord while you're poking at the front. A bunkering terran probably won't have the spare marines to chase your overlord down before it sees something.
"Everyone worse than me at video games is a noob. Everyone better than me doesn't have a life."
MrBitter
Profile Joined January 2008
United States2940 Posts
September 01 2010 02:27 GMT
#476
Fist: are you still watching this thread?

How much are you using this build now that you're up around 1100-1200 range? I started hitting some walls with it vP who wanted to 3 gate robo/4 gate around 1k. (I'm at like 920ish now after tanking several games)

If they get that sentry out, you can count on a couple more stalkers being up in time to deflect the push, putting you in (in my opinion) a less than ideal situation for defending their push. (Which will literally be coming in 1-2 minutes after you pull back.

Also - while this beats reaper cuteness, T just transitions to marauder so easily around 1k, that I've had to move away from using this build at all when I scout tech lab on the rax. I've been opting to just cancel the RW (or not drop it) and just expo immediately in hopes of being able to defend with just speedlings.

Would love some feedback from the higher tiers.
JohnGreggor
Profile Joined March 2010
Canada148 Posts
September 01 2010 02:33 GMT
#477
I really like the 13/13 then transition to mutas against T, but against P they will generally forcefield my roaches in half or in completly, giving themselves a huge lead. I have stopped using this build in ZvP because the pressure isn't worth the loss in economy, even if it isn't an all in.

And so begins again the search for a ZvP build other than hydras.
Subversion
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
South Africa3627 Posts
September 01 2010 02:37 GMT
#478
been using this build and i really like it - although it needs really really crisp timing to get it perfect!
Fistdantilus
Profile Joined August 2010
United States136 Posts
September 01 2010 03:58 GMT
#479
On September 01 2010 11:27 MrBitter wrote:
Fist: are you still watching this thread?

How much are you using this build now that you're up around 1100-1200 range? I started hitting some walls with it vP who wanted to 3 gate robo/4 gate around 1k. (I'm at like 920ish now after tanking several games)


I am still watching this thread sporadically. Been very laid back about it as I've been impressed that the community has taken it as their own and made excellent improvements.

I still use the 5RR vs every T and P as I'm comfortable with the dynamics it creates and enjoy the free wins now and again. It's also fun to watch my opponents who have died to this build and preemptively lay bunkers without even seeing the RW. =) If you're not comfortable with the resulting dynamics, by all means don't do it every game.

If they get that sentry out, you can count on a couple more stalkers being up in time to deflect the push, putting you in (in my opinion) a less than ideal situation for defending their push. (Which will literally be coming in 1-2 minutes after you pull back.


In my experience, sentries' force field has almost never stopped me from winning immediately. I just wait it out (sometimes several times), barge in, and win against his now craptacular non-energy sentries. I actually think early sentries hurt P as they could have been a stalker or two.

A sentry's FF only lasts ~15s (10s on faster?), so it's not like several stalkers pop out in the meantime.

REGARDING DEFENDING A PUSH RIGHT AFTER THE FAILED RUSH

I've noticed that while I want lings, I'm limited by larvae and not minerals/gas. So the best course of action is to put drones back on gas and produce roaches. If during the rush you see minerals getting high and you can't spend them on larvae, just make extra queens and/or put drones back on gas. That'll help as well. The 5RR requires a surprising amount of APM at times.

Also - while this beats reaper cuteness, T just transitions to marauder so easily around 1k, that I've had to move away from using this build at all when I scout tech lab on the rax. I've been opting to just cancel the RW (or not drop it) and just expo immediately in hopes of being able to defend with just speedlings.


Interesting. I see where you're coming from, but I feel it's still best to force that marauder transition by continuing with the 5RR. Once reapers get in large enough numbers they get hard to stop, even with roaches. YMMV. Also, I've had success attacking even if they have marauders (depending on how many and if they have concussive shell or not).

Fistdantilus
Profile Joined August 2010
United States136 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-01 04:02:29
September 01 2010 04:00 GMT
#480
On September 01 2010 11:37 Subversion wrote:
been using this build and i really like it - although it needs really really crisp timing to get it perfect!


This.

To everyone: I believe I have watched every replay in this thread (and many others that do the 5RR in other threads), and often the timings are way off but people still blame it on the build. The second most common problem is the roach micro (or lack of), and the third is generally missed injections.

Practice, practice, practice. The build really only changes vs an early 2-gate (make a few lings early to stall).
Prev 1 22 23 24 25 26 41 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
The PiG Daily
08:00
Best Games of SC
BASILISK vs T1
Maru vs Clem
Serral vs herO
Clem vs SHIN
PiGStarcraft5
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
07:00
Masters Cup #151: Group B
davetesta25
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nina 84
ViBE72
PiGStarcraft5
SpeCial 2
StarCraft: Brood War
White-Ra 191
Hyuk 58
Noble 50
NaDa 24
Bale 16
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm144
League of Legends
Doublelift4341
Counter-Strike
minikerr6
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox162
Mew2King52
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5151
Khaldor676
Other Games
summit1g8019
FrodaN1705
Coldzera 687
shahzam540
JimRising 357
C9.Mang0285
KnowMe225
ZombieGrub94
ArmadaUGS68
PPMD47
Trikslyr41
CosmosSc2 15
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick406
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream59
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH366
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21070
Other Games
• imaqtpie768
• Shiphtur188
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
10h 53m
Online Event
11h 53m
FEL
16h 53m
AI Arena Tournament
17h 53m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
19h 53m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 10h
INu's Battles
1d 12h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 19h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 19h
Replay Cast
2 days
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-01
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Proleague 2026-10-02
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.