• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:41
CEST 02:41
KST 09:41
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games BW General Discussion Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8957 users

[G] 5 Roach Rush: early game without the all-in - Page 22

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 20 21 22 23 24 41 Next All
Psyclon
Profile Joined July 2010
Bulgaria2443 Posts
August 28 2010 13:30 GMT
#421
How do you think the new patch will affect this build against P (if at all)?
Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds!
IamOBESE
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States134 Posts
August 28 2010 14:40 GMT
#422
New patch slows down the toss early game in theory, so it should help. However, I know a lot of tossers are worried about 6 pool now, and might get an earlier gate than normal.
Stibbs
Profile Joined April 2010
Australia3 Posts
August 28 2010 14:44 GMT
#423
I've been using this strategy, only had it win outright once so far (Was vs a terran who decided to try and hellion harass).

I love the flexibility, how easy it is to transition to muta/hydras etc, plus it generally gives you early map control.

Awesome strat

I think this is my first ever post on here, lurked for quite some time now..
SixSigma
Profile Joined August 2010
United States16 Posts
August 28 2010 15:25 GMT
#424
I think that this build has the potential to become the standard against Toss after the first patch. I think it was already strongest against Toss in 1.0x. I can see the build time nerf really hurting their early game against Zerg.

The other thing this could lead to is Zerg finding itself in a "Terran-like" situation against Toss where we control the game flow early game. If we want to expand, there won't be much the Toss can do. If we want to do the 5RR, they have to do everything they can to prepare.

I think I'm going to LOVE this build in the upcoming patch.
Scrimpton
Profile Joined August 2010
United Kingdom465 Posts
August 28 2010 17:04 GMT
#425
Thanks for this thread.

My fiance just got the game today, and just from watching some Day9, and reading this thread, (and a little bit of QXC's build order tester) she managed to win 4 games straight in her placement matches, and is in platinum in her first day of owning the game

Protoss is the only race with "pro" in it
mango_destroyer
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada3914 Posts
August 28 2010 17:59 GMT
#426
I signed up just to thank fist and newtie who optimized it with the 13/13 BO. I tried it for 9 straight games yesterday and won 8 of them. The one loss was against a terran who turtled insanely(triple supply depot wall) and I didn`t scout well or use blings against marines and tank push.

Keep in mind I am only in gold, but I think this is pretty good for lower leagues so I can comment on that. Pretty flexible too.
Scrimpton
Profile Joined August 2010
United Kingdom465 Posts
August 28 2010 19:06 GMT
#427
On August 29 2010 02:59 mango_destroyer wrote:
I signed up just to thank fist and newtie who optimized it with the 13/13 BO. I tried it for 9 straight games yesterday and won 8 of them. The one loss was against a terran who turtled insanely(triple supply depot wall) and I didn`t scout well or use blings against marines and tank push.

Keep in mind I am only in gold, but I think this is pretty good for lower leagues so I can comment on that. Pretty flexible too.



Whats this 13/13?

or which page can i find the info out on?

would be cool if the OP updated the build if he's improved upon it. on the front page
Protoss is the only race with "pro" in it
maJes
Profile Joined June 2010
United Kingdom186 Posts
August 28 2010 21:03 GMT
#428
Been trying the build out for a few games, it's working out a lot better than the opening I was using before. Even when you don't do that much damage the fact that you have a safer expo out really helps.

Thanks again for this Fist, and thanks to everyone submitting more info/variants!
BE'YENNEH......YAOWRL.....
P00RKID
Profile Joined December 2009
United States424 Posts
August 28 2010 21:34 GMT
#429
On August 28 2010 23:40 Oconomist wrote:
New patch slows down the toss early game in theory, so it should help. However, I know a lot of tossers are worried about 6 pool now, and might get an earlier gate than normal.


If toss are really going to be getting earlyer gateways as a response to that patch, I think I would experiment with double gas stealing.
"Does your butt hurt? 'cause you fell from heaven once the cast was over?" Artosis
mango_destroyer
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada3914 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-28 22:07:35
August 28 2010 22:04 GMT
#430
On August 29 2010 04:06 Scrimpton wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 29 2010 02:59 mango_destroyer wrote:
I signed up just to thank fist and newtie who optimized it with the 13/13 BO. I tried it for 9 straight games yesterday and won 8 of them. The one loss was against a terran who turtled insanely(triple supply depot wall) and I didn`t scout well or use blings against marines and tank push.

Keep in mind I am only in gold, but I think this is pretty good for lower leagues so I can comment on that. Pretty flexible too.



Whats this 13/13?

or which page can i find the info out on?

would be cool if the OP updated the build if he's improved upon it. on the front page


Page 15...newti`s 2nd post on that page.

Edit- I think the updated build is on the first page now.
archon256
Profile Joined August 2010
United States363 Posts
August 29 2010 00:28 GMT
#431
I'm having difficulty transitioning against a M&M opening. If there's even one Marauder at the wall with 3-4 Marines I end up failing to break the wall and failing to the subsequent push. Good success against virtually every other T opening though.
"The troupe is ready, the stage is set. I come to dance, the dance of death"
RC_Fixer
Profile Joined August 2010
United States21 Posts
August 29 2010 03:58 GMT
#432
I am a Diamond Player currently Laddering as much as I can and let me tell you If you scout that they are teching and you deny scouting this build can be deadly and with the upcoming 1.1 Patch an Protoss Nerf I can see this becoming standard against Protoss! So cheers for helping out the Zerg :D
HomicidaL
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States283 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-29 04:10:54
August 29 2010 04:10 GMT
#433
I have always been fast expanding or one base muta since the roach nerf in beta. I do alot of practice games agiast mid level diamond and plat players and they are so surprised by the effectiness of this build. This build has completely changed my thoughts about roaches and makes into a very nice roach hydra transition for the mid game.
HardcoreBilly
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States222 Posts
August 29 2010 04:56 GMT
#434
Hm, the fast stargate one was kind of deceiving. I expected it to be about how to counteract a fast Void Ray. From the looks of it, I don't think you would have survived it if it was indeed one.
xtcz
Profile Joined August 2010
United States16 Posts
August 29 2010 05:17 GMT
#435
On August 29 2010 07:04 mango_destroyer wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 29 2010 04:06 Scrimpton wrote:
On August 29 2010 02:59 mango_destroyer wrote:
I signed up just to thank fist and newtie who optimized it with the 13/13 BO. I tried it for 9 straight games yesterday and won 8 of them. The one loss was against a terran who turtled insanely(triple supply depot wall) and I didn`t scout well or use blings against marines and tank push.

Keep in mind I am only in gold, but I think this is pretty good for lower leagues so I can comment on that. Pretty flexible too.



Whats this 13/13?

or which page can i find the info out on?

would be cool if the OP updated the build if he's improved upon it. on the front page


Page 15...newti`s 2nd post on that page.

Edit- I think the updated build is on the first page now.


Updated build is on first page. However, back on p. 15, newti, you asked if the earlier 2 drones was much better than drones later on? Was that ever decided?
efekti
Profile Joined August 2010
Finland1 Post
August 29 2010 10:12 GMT
#436
Without the 2 early drones you get your roaches and zergling speed out much faster. But of course your economy will suffer a little. So just remember to do them afterwards with the expo or after that if you want your speedlings backing up the roaches.
Newti
Profile Joined April 2010
Switzerland71 Posts
August 29 2010 10:24 GMT
#437
On August 29 2010 14:17 xtcz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 29 2010 07:04 mango_destroyer wrote:
On August 29 2010 04:06 Scrimpton wrote:
On August 29 2010 02:59 mango_destroyer wrote:
I signed up just to thank fist and newtie who optimized it with the 13/13 BO. I tried it for 9 straight games yesterday and won 8 of them. The one loss was against a terran who turtled insanely(triple supply depot wall) and I didn`t scout well or use blings against marines and tank push.

Keep in mind I am only in gold, but I think this is pretty good for lower leagues so I can comment on that. Pretty flexible too.



Whats this 13/13?

or which page can i find the info out on?

would be cool if the OP updated the build if he's improved upon it. on the front page


Page 15...newti`s 2nd post on that page.

Edit- I think the updated build is on the first page now.


Updated build is on first page. However, back on p. 15, newti, you asked if the earlier 2 drones was much better than drones later on? Was that ever decided?


Ok so this is what I have come up with after playing a lot of games with this build.
The build in the OP works if the following is true:
- You execute the build order perfectly with no mistakes
- You Larva are near the minerals (drones don't have to run around the hatch)
- You do not get harassed

What I do most of the time is cutting the drone after the first injection. This allows for minor errors in the build order and you can cope with worker harass. It also makes up for spawn locations where the Larva are on the other side of the Hatchery. Plus you get to keep that Larva to build an additional Zergling.

I suggest you try for yourself if you can squeeze 2, 1 or no drones after you started the Roach Warren. One Drone works for me.

If you want to gas steal check out my replays a couple pages back for a slightly different BO.
lovewithlea
Profile Joined March 2010
168 Posts
August 29 2010 11:03 GMT
#438
this is just great, almost no one knows how to handle it. and most think, a roaches, i just go 5 stalker and push, BAM surrounded by speedlings as soon as he pushes out..
so much fun
gonkulator
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
10 Posts
August 29 2010 13:56 GMT
#439
I won several times with this nice build but now I'm on a heavy losing streak, mainly because of these problems:

- When I'm playing against Protoss he usually walls himself in with a few cannons and some gateways so I can't get in with the handful of Roaches and Zerglings I have. I pull back and macro up and usually I get a Spire or a Hydralisk Den. But when I have a small force of anti-air forces he comes in with a load of Void Rays and Stalkers and just burns me to death. I seriously have no idea how to beat the cannons before he can get the critical amount of Void Rays. Banelings maybe? I figure that would take too long and it's still hard with Banelings to get through those cannons.

- When I'm playing against Terran he also walls himself in with tanks AND missile turrets, so I can't target fire his tanks with Mutalisks. Banelings don't help either because they get torn to shreds by the tanks. When he sees I have Mutalisks he techs up to Thors.

Expanding doesn't help either. I try to scout as mush as possible to see what he is up to but when I can barely see a glimpse of what he has the Overlord/Overseer usually gets killed by missile turrets/marines/photon cannons/etc. so I still have no idea what he is up to. It seems that he always will go for something I did not expect. I guess that's my fault there.

I'm really stuck here. I'm a Bronze player by the way. Was Silver before but because of a huge losing streak I got put back into Bronze again. Oh well.

So, what should I do? Keep the agression up when he's turtling? Expand and focus on building a solid force? Scout more? Any help would be appreciated.
pilsken
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany441 Posts
August 29 2010 14:02 GMT
#440


So, what should I do? Keep the agression up when he's turtling? Expand and focus on building a solid force? Scout more? Any help would be appreciated.


Build more stuff. Keep your money low. Don't forget to build workers. Don't get supplyblocked. Your losses have almost certainly nothing to do with the strat he or you chose.
Prev 1 20 21 22 23 24 41 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
The PiG Daily
08:00
Best Games of SC
BASILISK vs T1
Maru vs Clem
Serral vs herO
Clem vs SHIN
PiGStarcraft448
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
07:00
Masters Cup #151: Group B
davetesta18
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft448
WinterStarcraft57
StarCraft: Brood War
White-Ra 161
Noble 96
NaDa 53
Hyuk 51
Bale 16
Shuttle 0
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm132
League of Legends
Doublelift4002
Counter-Strike
taco 87
minikerr22
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox548
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4101
Khaldor566
Other Games
summit1g7941
FrodaN1623
Coldzera 812
JimRising 469
C9.Mang0311
KnowMe165
ViBE66
ArmadaUGS51
Mew2King43
CosmosSc2 11
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick786
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream87
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH329
• Hupsaiya 56
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21743
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
9h 19m
Online Event
10h 19m
FEL
15h 19m
AI Arena Tournament
16h 19m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
18h 19m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 9h
INu's Battles
1d 11h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 18h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 18h
Replay Cast
1d 23h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.