• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:07
CEST 11:07
KST 18:07
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion BW General Discussion JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Sagi.gg Launcher Released
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9931 users

[G] 5 Roach Rush: early game without the all-in - Page 20

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 18 19 20 21 22 41 Next All
Umpteen
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United Kingdom1570 Posts
August 27 2010 09:50 GMT
#381
Could it be something to do with the gas placement in relation to the hatchery? Consider this thread: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=143867

"On Blistering Sands, if you spawn on the top location, get the bottom gas first.
On Blistering Sands, if you spawn on the bottom location, get the top gas first."

It's confusing why people are getting such varied results with the same exact build. But I think either way, with gas on 15 you can't get ling speed until after the roaches.


I'm going to take another crack at it at lunchtime, getting the right-hand gas instead of the top, see what difference that makes. I can't see it making 15 seconds difference, but I'll give it a shot.
The existence of a food chain is inescapable if we evolved unsupervised, and inexcusable otherwise.
dvide
Profile Joined March 2010
United Kingdom287 Posts
August 27 2010 10:15 GMT
#382
On August 27 2010 18:50 Umpteen wrote:
I'm going to take another crack at it at lunchtime, getting the right-hand gas instead of the top, see what difference that makes. I can't see it making 15 seconds difference, but I'll give it a shot.

Yeah I doubt it's going to make up the difference between the 13 extractor and the 15 extractor, but it might make up the difference between your 12 extractor and the 13. Meaning you could get it on 13 if you choose the right-hand gas, as opposed to your 12 from the top gas.

And it might explain why some people have gas surpluses but others are slightly short, depending on the map, spawn point and gas chosen. I've not tested it though; just a thought.
ambra
Profile Joined August 2010
Italy80 Posts
August 27 2010 10:24 GMT
#383
I read a lot of hate in this thread OP, but I really like this build and im going to give it a shot... I like how its sort of economically safe and you still have a few options if the shit hits the fan.
Newti
Profile Joined April 2010
Switzerland71 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-27 13:14:40
August 27 2010 11:53 GMT
#384
Here is a replay where I go with 13/13 and send my 13th drone to scout & steal the gas.
Easy win as the Toss get his sentry out too late.

http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/65573-1v1-protoss-zerg-xelnaga-caverns

Another game vs Toss with gas steal (this guy is 900 Diamond):
http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/65578-1v1-protoss-zerg-metalopolis

This game is vs. Terran. He goes reaper Harass and I counter with 5RR. His bunker at the ramp holds off the 5RR (Bunker with 2-3 Reaper >>> Lings) and he has 2 Starports with tech lab running.
I transition to Mutas while I get wrecked by cloaked Banshees and the game goes on for quite a while (I think he was a pretty bad player despite his 800 Diamond Rating):
http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/65588-1v1-terran-zerg-lost-temple

Here is a replay that showcases how not-all-in this build is. The rush fails against a 5-Rax-Reaper Terran (900 pts) bacuse he immediately stops reaper production and goes for marauder; but it negates all his harass and forces him into Bio play. I then Transition into Muta/Ling/Bling to counter Bio and go macro mode. The game goes on for almost 30 Minutes with some nice TvZ midgame action.
http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/65600-1v1-terran-zerg-xelnaga-caverns

By the way, i did run in trouble today when a protoss contained me with 2 pylons and a cannon. While I could break the contain, the toss had enough forces + a cannon at home to defend.
I felt like I was significantly behind after this.
nodq
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Germany123 Posts
August 27 2010 11:58 GMT
#385
On August 27 2010 10:25 Subversion wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 27 2010 05:35 nodq wrote:
WIth 13 pool and 15 OL i cant get lingspeed befor roaches, if i do, i cant get 5 roaches out because of missing gas. 13 pool and 13 gas makes no sense at all, thats more gas than i need, and it cuts my mins, and delays the expo you want to throw down after/during your push and your zerglings to keep up the pressure.

Best for me worked so far, doing 13 pool and 14 gas, it times out very perfectly.

13 pool
drone
drone
14 gas
drone
drone
15 OL
zergling
queen
speed
drone...
21 OL
5 roaches
OL
then adapt


you dont mention in this BO when you throw down the RW?

also in response to the guy above, i dont think build was designed for ZvZ.


yeh ofc latest when queen is half done, put down RW. mostly around 19-20 supply. depends how the scout is moving in your base. better dealy the RW for some seconds than let the scout see that you build it.
Spawn moooaaaar Overloooaaaarddzzzz!
NeKoBaKa
Profile Joined August 2010
United States8 Posts
August 27 2010 13:34 GMT
#386
just recently picked up on this build. seem to be having trouble in ZvP against a FE type of build. I guess it would be wise to adapt and change up after seeing the Forge being build at a choke. anyone else having trouble against Forge FE?
Newti
Profile Joined April 2010
Switzerland71 Posts
August 27 2010 13:39 GMT
#387
On August 27 2010 22:34 NeKoBaKa wrote:
just recently picked up on this build. seem to be having trouble in ZvP against a FE type of build. I guess it would be wise to adapt and change up after seeing the Forge being build at a choke. anyone else having trouble against Forge FE?


I never faced straight forge FE with this but I had a couple forge contain matches (2 pylon + cannon @ ramp).
This build doesn't do best against any cannon build. If the protoss plays perfect in terms of cannon placement and walling, there is little you can do.
So what I do is getting my 2nd up, drone for a bit and tech to t2 (keep your initial 5 roaches alive!!).
I keep building Roaches while I do that and once I hit t2 I build a nydus and funnel around 15-20 Roaches + as many speedlings as I can into his main. I have yet to see a protoss come back from this (even if they go delayed Void Rays their main and a lot of drones go down).
ALPINA
Profile Joined May 2010
3791 Posts
August 27 2010 13:52 GMT
#388
Played 3 games vs. toss with this strat and lost all :D in diamond ~600.

Looks nice strat to catch opponent off guard.
You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity
NeKoBaKa
Profile Joined August 2010
United States8 Posts
August 27 2010 14:07 GMT
#389
On August 27 2010 22:39 Newti wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 27 2010 22:34 NeKoBaKa wrote:
just recently picked up on this build. seem to be having trouble in ZvP against a FE type of build. I guess it would be wise to adapt and change up after seeing the Forge being build at a choke. anyone else having trouble against Forge FE?


I never faced straight forge FE with this but I had a couple forge contain matches (2 pylon + cannon @ ramp).
This build doesn't do best against any cannon build. If the protoss plays perfect in terms of cannon placement and walling, there is little you can do.
So what I do is getting my 2nd up, drone for a bit and tech to t2 (keep your initial 5 roaches alive!!).
I keep building Roaches while I do that and once I hit t2 I build a nydus and funnel around 15-20 Roaches + as many speedlings as I can into his main. I have yet to see a protoss come back from this (even if they go delayed Void Rays their main and a lot of drones go down).


Thanks for the quick reply Newti. I normally like to play a macro oriented game with an early expansion and a defensive / reactant type of early game. Playing a build like this will definitely help with variety in my play style.
Fistdantilus
Profile Joined August 2010
United States136 Posts
August 27 2010 14:09 GMT
#390
Played around with the gas steal idea in YABOT, but I can't make it work: the build is just too tight on 13/13. Newti's replays show pretty much what you have to do to keep the timings correct: skip drones and the expansion. I'm just not willing to do that to delay his gas for 30s, even if it does make the rush stronger.

It works on the old 13/15 (getting ling speed after roaches), but I'm not thrilled with that either.
Viruuus
Profile Joined February 2010
Germany451 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-27 14:32:06
August 27 2010 14:16 GMT
#391
Ive used the 13/13 build vs an 800 diamond Terran who i think was playing pretty well, he scouted it, reacted good etc. Also in battles he has 200ish APM with seems to be ok imo, and his micro was existent at least.

[image loading]

another 800 points Diamond, this time protoss who is making pylong/cannons at my door, but its blistering sands...
[image loading]
Lee Jae Dong fighting!!!
Tergeron
Profile Joined February 2010
United States66 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-27 14:22:21
August 27 2010 14:20 GMT
#392
On August 27 2010 11:47 TyrantPotato wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 27 2010 11:29 Tergeron wrote:
This build has pretty much broken PvZ in Zergs favor. Not because you can break the ramp and just win right there, but because it puts the zerg ahead so much that protoss struggles to get even.


it hasnt broken the matchup, it has given an opening to zerg that the other players must react to, meaning if you dont scout and we choose to use it, and you want to play aggressor you'll be eating it.

finally the other races must now scout zerg early enough to see whether we pool before gas (5rr build) gas before pool (ling build) or pool hatch finally zerg has some sort of proactive opening other races must be aware of.

especially T players. no longer can they sit back and not be afraid of what coming, they have to make sure they wont have roaches at their door.


The unit mix is perfect enough to counter 4 gate and holds off 2 gate on short rush distance maps and crushes it on maps with a long rush distance, Stargate builds basically rely on you doing damage against a zerg player, which is hard to accomplish when they fit in extra queens, gas steals only make it weaker.

Any protoss can hold his ramp with a cannon or two and some sentries against this but the issue is that you can contain with a unit comp that gives you a huge advantage advantage until later on. You are so far ahead because of econ, the second he can grabs his nat you can grab a 3rd without any threat of retaliation. With proper scouting you will know if he is favoring robo or templar tech meaning you can either mix more roaches in or get a few corruptors.

What exactly are you supposed to do if you can not get a fast expo against zerg, how are you supposed to get one against zerg? In PvZ you basically rely on getting that expo up fast so you can get your t3 units to handle Hydra's. I would really love to know how I would supposedly deal with this build so I can get my expo up asap, because without it you can not beat Zerg.
“Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.” -Confucius
Viruuus
Profile Joined February 2010
Germany451 Posts
August 27 2010 14:23 GMT
#393
the key to beating this build is sentries into 4 warpgates into more sentries.
Sentries(with zeals/stalker) own roach/ling so hard, its not even funny
Lee Jae Dong fighting!!!
Sisko
Profile Joined May 2010
United States121 Posts
August 27 2010 14:38 GMT
#394
To add to this very late it is very nice to know about since zerg lack early pressure builds. I am having good results mid diamond although it seems fragile against multiple marine terran openings this might be because I still might be terrible.
Tergeron
Profile Joined February 2010
United States66 Posts
August 27 2010 14:44 GMT
#395
On August 27 2010 23:23 Viruuus wrote:
the key to beating this build is sentries into 4 warpgates into more sentries.
Sentries(with zeals/stalker) own roach/ling so hard, its not even funny


Proper micro and adding more lings wouldnt have too much trouble with Sentry supported units.
“Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.” -Confucius
Newti
Profile Joined April 2010
Switzerland71 Posts
August 27 2010 14:50 GMT
#396
You start running into problems and eventually failing the push if you cant get your lings some room to work with. If he holds the choke with forcefields/Zealots and Stalkers in the back shooting at your roaches and lings you will soon face too many units to handle.
Basically if you can't break in, you are on the backfoot and better get a LOT of lings and crawlers for his soon-to-be 4-gate.
I had this happen to me only once, because most protoss will eventually make the mistake to move their blocking units and let the lings in.
RampancyTW
Profile Joined August 2010
United States577 Posts
August 27 2010 15:08 GMT
#397
On August 27 2010 17:43 Umpteen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 27 2010 11:02 RampancyTW wrote:
Oops! Haven't played in a day and was thinking like an idiot. Yes, I'm going off the first round of larva and not the second.

Doesn't really change my point though: since my queen comes at the same time, my larva pop at the same time, and I have enough gas when my larva pop to make 5 roaches. 13/13 will always net you extra gas, 13/12 is absolutely unnecessary. I did 13/13 a few times and hit 228 (total) gas way early each time which is why I started going for the later gas again.

My RW and larva are popping at the same time as yours, with the necessary gas. Something's off with what you're doing.


This is really weird. I mean, with 13p12e I'm starting my gas three drones earlier, and I'm able to make five roaches pretty much upon the instant I have 125 gas. You start your gas later, and also say you're making 5 roaches the instant you have 125 gas.

I gotta ask, why is it automatically me who's doing something wrong, when my roaches pop sooner?

I can't upload replays to the usual sites because they're too short and only against AI, so here are the files:

13p12e timing:
http://www.mediafire.com/?h9hhk4ok6oslste

13p15e timing:
http://www.mediafire.com/?zbdsi8y9si46d7m

Note about the first replay: I build my warren about 5 seconds too early, wasting some mineral gathering time. Even so, my last roach pops at 5:06 (IIRC). In the second replay, my warren and larvae pop when I'm at around 80 gas, and I have to wait. The last roach emerges at 5:21.

I'm not saying 13p12e is better. It might be stunting me economically. But it flat-out cannot be true that 13p15e gets your roaches out as quickly.
You're STILL looking at this the wrong way.

It doesn't matter how fast you get the 125 gas, as long as you have the 125 gas when the roach warren pops. Unless you're starting your RW early and not going with the larva pop (so basically not doing this build) there's no possible way you're getting roaches out any earlier than I would.

I'll check out the replays and see what's up
Fistdantilus
Profile Joined August 2010
United States136 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-27 15:41:40
August 27 2010 15:41 GMT
#398
oGsZenio uses the 5RR. =)




He makes more lings earlier, but it's pretty apparent he's going off the stub build.
RampancyTW
Profile Joined August 2010
United States577 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-27 15:45:27
August 27 2010 15:44 GMT
#399
On August 28 2010 00:08 RampancyTW wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 27 2010 17:43 Umpteen wrote:
On August 27 2010 11:02 RampancyTW wrote:
Oops! Haven't played in a day and was thinking like an idiot. Yes, I'm going off the first round of larva and not the second.

Doesn't really change my point though: since my queen comes at the same time, my larva pop at the same time, and I have enough gas when my larva pop to make 5 roaches. 13/13 will always net you extra gas, 13/12 is absolutely unnecessary. I did 13/13 a few times and hit 228 (total) gas way early each time which is why I started going for the later gas again.

My RW and larva are popping at the same time as yours, with the necessary gas. Something's off with what you're doing.


This is really weird. I mean, with 13p12e I'm starting my gas three drones earlier, and I'm able to make five roaches pretty much upon the instant I have 125 gas. You start your gas later, and also say you're making 5 roaches the instant you have 125 gas.

I gotta ask, why is it automatically me who's doing something wrong, when my roaches pop sooner?

I can't upload replays to the usual sites because they're too short and only against AI, so here are the files:

13p12e timing:
http://www.mediafire.com/?h9hhk4ok6oslste

13p15e timing:
http://www.mediafire.com/?zbdsi8y9si46d7m

Note about the first replay: I build my warren about 5 seconds too early, wasting some mineral gathering time. Even so, my last roach pops at 5:06 (IIRC). In the second replay, my warren and larvae pop when I'm at around 80 gas, and I have to wait. The last roach emerges at 5:21.

I'm not saying 13p12e is better. It might be stunting me economically. But it flat-out cannot be true that 13p15e gets your roaches out as quickly.
You're STILL looking at this the wrong way.

It doesn't matter how fast you get the 125 gas, as long as you have the 125 gas when the roach warren pops. Unless you're starting your RW early and not going with the larva pop (so basically not doing this build) there's no possible way you're getting roaches out any earlier than I would.

I'll check out the replays and see what's up
Looks like I must have been skipping speed for 14 and 15, you're right.

Still, if you time out everything right with 13/13 you will have exactly the amount of gas and minerals needed when the larva pop. 13/12 is unnecessary and has a pretty large mineral hit, especially if you send a drone scout out.

after tinkering around I finally had a game going where this was about to happen but my wonderful laptop overheated and shutdown, re-attempting now

if done right the 13/13 will be slightly faster cause there will be no delays (your last roach was going to pop around 5:08-9)
blagoonga123
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States2068 Posts
August 27 2010 15:51 GMT
#400
I don't know if my opponents were doing this right, but I fought this twice yesterday against ~700 zergs and it was so easy to kill. I did my standard rax fact tech tank build (think TvP in BW) with a rax/fact/ebay wall and they couldn't do anything. Even on steppes my tank spawns fast enough to ward them off, especially since the weakest component in my wall has like 800 hp.

And then afterwards I just play really safe, get to 3 thors and attack, and I still haven't lost.

I wonder if there's a way to beat my style of play with roach rush.
FOOL! Pain is my friend! Now let me introduce you to it!
Prev 1 18 19 20 21 22 41 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 53m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 183
StarCraft: Brood War
Horang2 1046
Mind 902
Larva 610
ggaemo 600
Stork 329
Leta 200
Bisu 193
PianO 169
Killer 45
Hyuk 30
[ Show more ]
Bale 29
Sexy 23
yabsab 19
ZergMaN 18
sorry 13
Hm[arnc] 8
Dota 2
XcaliburYe188
League of Legends
JimRising 370
Reynor101
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1150
Other Games
summit1g10263
Mew2King118
ArmadaUGS65
crisheroes26
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick501
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream188
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 4
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 5243
• lizZardDota2358
League of Legends
• Stunt1232
• Jankos1047
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
53m
Online Event
1h 53m
FEL
6h 53m
AI Arena Tournament
7h 53m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
9h 53m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d
INu's Battles
1d 2h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 9h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 9h
Replay Cast
1d 14h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.