• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:45
CEST 07:45
KST 14:45
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Sagi.gg Launcher Released an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8821 users

[G] 5 Roach Rush: early game without the all-in - Page 28

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 26 27 28 29 30 41 Next All
RampancyTW
Profile Joined August 2010
United States577 Posts
September 04 2010 15:41 GMT
#541
On September 03 2010 06:33 RampancyTW wrote:
@SixSigma:

vs. zerg I've been going 14/14 and throwing down an evo chamber after queen (18 supply) and substituting +1 missile for the usual ling speed, and go roach/queen from there on out, works pretty damn well. I like to do a timing push right when the +1 finishes to punish any ling-heavy builds and inflict same damage before whatever else he has coming pops

you'll get thrown off a little bit having to deal with some early ling pressure pretty often but if you micro decent you should be fine til the roaches pop and you can block off your ramp

if he's also doing a late pool econ-build you should be able to steamroll through with the timing push
^^ This is my zvz adjustment
nodq
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Germany123 Posts
September 04 2010 16:49 GMT
#542
Actually, against Protoss this Build does not work very good at all ive to admit. 4 Gate is a pain with this build, i cant pump enough units when the push comes to defend. Push comes exactly then when i finish my 2nd hatch and then ive less mins and no drones there, and no def to beat 4 Gate units.

against 2 gate rush its perfect, but ya. trutling protoss its also not that good, u cant get in with canons at the front without losing many units. And my eco sucks until then compared to protoss and then he does a push and again i dont have enough units because not enough larva or mins.

Against Terran its oki, you force the Terran to build Marauders etc. thats good actually.
Spawn moooaaaar Overloooaaaarddzzzz!
Exquisito
Profile Joined February 2010
United States55 Posts
September 04 2010 17:46 GMT
#543
Yeah speedling rush in ZvZ seems to be a weakness, as I described above. I suppose you could plop a second batch of roaches at your ramp, but the beauty is that whatever anyone else does, they have to respond to your roaches first. So that gives you time enough to prepare for any sort of quick counter.
spawn more overlords
Phos
Profile Joined April 2010
Iceland106 Posts
September 05 2010 00:46 GMT
#544
i crushed a reaper all-in with this.

[image loading]

User was temp banned for this post.
Omele
Profile Joined May 2010
United States8 Posts
September 05 2010 02:57 GMT
#545
So I am playing this and I am having a really hard time with Siege Tanks and siege mode. I didn't really think it would be a problem considering it takes ~6 minutes give or take to get there, but my roaches just don't make it in time, even when I play fairly well.

What's the timing I should be aiming for when my roaches are at my opponents base on say Kulas? Assume I know where the base is located, I think in the particular game I was in where it happened I lost an ovie (I assumed I lost it actually having saved it and lost it anyway). I am not looking to be evaluated, I just want to know the timing give or take. I do the build exactly as it is written.
OdinPimphammer
Profile Joined August 2010
Afghanistan40 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-05 03:04:18
September 05 2010 03:04 GMT
#546
On September 05 2010 01:49 nodq wrote:
Actually, against Protoss this Build does not work very good at all ive to admit. 4 Gate is a pain with this build, i cant pump enough units when the push comes to defend. Push comes exactly then when i finish my 2nd hatch and then ive less mins and no drones there, and no def to beat 4 Gate units.

against 2 gate rush its perfect, but ya. trutling protoss its also not that good, u cant get in with canons at the front without losing many units. And my eco sucks until then compared to protoss and then he does a push and again i dont have enough units because not enough larva or mins.

Against Terran its oki, you force the Terran to build Marauders etc. thats good actually.



That isnt the builds fault!!

If the P player is going 4gate and you havent scouted, you deserve to lose. If the P is going 4gate and you scouted and still dropped an expansion, you deserve to lose.

Don't blame this build.
SixtusTheFifth
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
New Zealand170 Posts
September 05 2010 03:57 GMT
#547
On September 05 2010 01:49 nodq wrote:
Actually, against Protoss this Build does not work very good at all ive to admit. 4 Gate is a pain with this build, i cant pump enough units when the push comes to defend. Push comes exactly then when i finish my 2nd hatch and then ive less mins and no drones there, and no def to beat 4 Gate units.



Ok, what we have here is a 28 page thread with multiple replays of the 5RR working very well against Protoss, with and without transitions to mid game, and then we have you saying that it doesn't work against 4 gate.

In order to help with this could you perhaps post some replays?
Subversion
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
South Africa3627 Posts
September 05 2010 05:32 GMT
#548
just saw cellawerra lose to the 5RR on stream :D

he went random vs a random scrub, he got protoss and got owned by the 5RR :D
eth3n
Profile Joined August 2010
718 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-05 06:50:03
September 05 2010 06:01 GMT
#549
I know the issue of scouting (@ ~12) has been mentioned before (and its on the liquidpedia), but I didn't see too much discussion on it (sorry if i clearly missed it but scanning ~30 pages with ctrl-f is as much legwork as I can handle), is there any reason to scout with a drone if you are going 5RR against T/P? It seems that nothing I ever scout makes me want to switch up, and when I do see something super ugh its too late because warren is already down...should I just let scout-killer lings do the scouting or should I pull off a drone?

Opinions from those who pull this often?

-edit-

also when I P v Z and my scout gets ling'd before I can see, I generally make a sentry and attempt to split the roaches on my ramp with ff (assuming they are coming although that sentry is a lot of gas)...is this the best response if you cant be sure its coming? or should I move probe outside his base and spawn stalkers if/when i see the roaches incoming?
Idra Potter: I don't use avada kedavra because i have self-respect.
Wicelo
Profile Joined August 2010
45 Posts
September 05 2010 09:26 GMT
#550
@Fistdantilus Why do you put "NOTE: All of the replays are on the old 13/15 build, but all of the ideas remain the same." on your first post ? Could you please edit your first post adding all your recent feedback ? Thx
Armsved
Profile Joined May 2010
Denmark642 Posts
September 05 2010 09:39 GMT
#551
Just for anyone who thinks otherwise.

This opeining gets crushed by reaper opening if you are playing against a competent terran. As soon as he see's you are taking gas after building pool, he will only build one reaper and then go for MM. You could be going for some late banelinx or muta, but usually gas after pool means roaches.
YOOO
Nuage
Profile Joined August 2010
France61 Posts
September 05 2010 09:58 GMT
#552
That's why I have switched back to a classic 14 extractor, 14 pool build: to keep most options open.

That way, you can still go for fast roaches if you want to, with a minor delay - or do anything else, depending on your scouting.

14 Extractor
14 Pool
15 Overlord
16 Queen
18 Zerglings
around 20 / 21 Roach Warren (when Queen is halfway done, as usual)
Overlord when Queen pop
5 or 6 Roach when overlord, roach warren & inject finish

The roaches are out at 5'10, approximatly. I tend to research zergling speed just after I've done the roaches, but it can probably be done a bit soonner.

What I love with that build is that you retain the possibility of an early roach rush, but you are not bound to it, and you can change for the other zergs openers (say, sling / bling or fast expand) without any trouble nor delay.
Dreaming11
Profile Joined August 2010
United Kingdom105 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-05 10:48:30
September 05 2010 10:47 GMT
#553
On September 05 2010 11:57 Omele wrote:
So I am playing this and I am having a really hard time with Siege Tanks and siege mode. I didn't really think it would be a problem considering it takes ~6 minutes give or take to get there, but my roaches just don't make it in time, even when I play fairly well.

What's the timing I should be aiming for when my roaches are at my opponents base on say Kulas? Assume I know where the base is located, I think in the particular game I was in where it happened I lost an ovie (I assumed I lost it actually having saved it and lost it anyway). I am not looking to be evaluated, I just want to know the timing give or take. I do the build exactly as it is written.


I had exactly the same problem on steppes - I was up against a terran siege tank / mm timing push (when siege tanks have siege mode) and lost cleanly, simply because by the time you get to their base they have a couple of marines and marauders which is enough to make the attack uneconomical, so you pull back, contain, power drones / hive tech, and then the push comes and walks over everything. I had infestation pit just plopped in anticipation of a decent sized MM, but the siegetanks bbqd my roach ling pretty well before I could get one out. Maybe it would have been better to back tech to ling / bling.
guitarizt
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States1492 Posts
September 05 2010 12:03 GMT
#554
I like this build because it allows me to expo but I don't like it because the 5 roaches do nothing against a decent terran. I don't like making roaches unless I have to personally though.
“There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.” - Hemingway
f0rk
Profile Joined March 2010
England172 Posts
September 05 2010 12:07 GMT
#555
On September 05 2010 01:49 nodq wrote:
Actually, against Protoss this Build does not work very good at all ive to admit. 4 Gate is a pain with this build, i cant pump enough units when the push comes to defend. Push comes exactly then when i finish my 2nd hatch and then ive less mins and no drones there, and no def to beat 4 Gate units.


What happens to your attack?
Blackalpha
Profile Joined June 2010
United Kingdom80 Posts
September 05 2010 12:07 GMT
#556
This opening is amazing, honestly, thank you so much for it. Z have a respectable and fearful opening for a change rather than all in's, or straight macro play.
Gremmel
Profile Joined September 2010
4 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-05 14:44:05
September 05 2010 14:41 GMT
#557
A 2 gate(fake) into 4 gate or 3 gate robo is very common and you can't scout that from a good player. So your second hatch being 2 minutes too late with the 5RR won't let you survive a 4 gate /3 gate robo since you won't have enough ling production.

A proxy stargate will end you no questions. Not enough Queens in time.

A 3 rax with stim push happens almost exactely when you arrive with your 5 roaches and they will get eaten alive along with him keeping you on one base for way too long after that.

Compared to a normal 14 extractor, 14 pool, 15 hatch this "non-all in" will no matter how you bend it make your expansion at least 2 minutes delayed and you'll be at least 5 drones behind if not more when you hit 30 supply (which is A LOT this early).

It might get you a few 7 minutes wins but macro v macro if held off by a competent player you will loose, especially if you loose your expo which is very likely with a counter attack.

I'm not saying the "standard" opening build can't be changed, ofc it can and will be. But this build is worse as a "new" standard since it feels too much like a 4 gate aka all-in.
Tsagacity
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
United States2124 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-05 15:07:18
September 05 2010 15:05 GMT
#558
On September 05 2010 23:41 Gremmel wrote:
A 2 gate(fake) into 4 gate or 3 gate robo is very common and you can't scout that from a good player. So your second hatch being 2 minutes too late with the 5RR won't let you survive a 4 gate /3 gate robo since you won't have enough ling production.

A proxy stargate will end you no questions. Not enough Queens in time.

A 3 rax with stim push happens almost exactely when you arrive with your 5 roaches and they will get eaten alive along with him keeping you on one base for way too long after that.

Compared to a normal 14 extractor, 14 pool, 15 hatch this "non-all in" will no matter how you bend it make your expansion at least 2 minutes delayed and you'll be at least 5 drones behind if not more when you hit 30 supply (which is A LOT this early).

It might get you a few 7 minutes wins but macro v macro if held off by a competent player you will loose, especially if you loose your expo which is very likely with a counter attack.

I'm not saying the "standard" opening build can't be changed, ofc it can and will be. But this build is worse as a "new" standard since it feels too much like a 4 gate aka all-in.
I have to disagree with most of this. I've faced almost every one of these at ~1000 or higher and come out fine or better. If you're having troubles with it higher than that I'd like to know what they're doing different :s

The proxy stargate bit I find particularly confusing. You should have roaches in his base and 2 queens in your own base around the time the first void finishes.
"Everyone worse than me at video games is a noob. Everyone better than me doesn't have a life."
odinsama
Profile Joined August 2010
8 Posts
September 05 2010 22:02 GMT
#559
Can u post a replay of the new 5RR ? Because I don't understand everything of the build.

Thanks.


(got raped by P when they counter ur rush... too many P units u_u )

So, this build can kill a reapers build easyly (3rax and 5rax) ?
ThatsNoMoon
Profile Joined March 2010
Mexico344 Posts
September 06 2010 01:02 GMT
#560
So what do you guys do when you spot marauders?
Back off and go into ling muta?
Got neurosis from Artosis cause you bunker rushed my heart GG baby, lets go crazy cause the game's about to start
Prev 1 26 27 28 29 30 41 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 15m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
WinterStarcraft694
PiGStarcraft208
StarCraft: Brood War
Horang2 556
Stork 221
ggaemo 161
Leta 145
PianO 55
Hyuk 35
yabsab 19
Bale 18
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm218
League of Legends
JimRising 699
Reynor26
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King257
Westballz50
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor653
Other Games
summit1g8986
Coldzera 822
C9.Mang0305
Sick142
RuFF_SC2116
ViBE78
ArmadaUGS41
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick655
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream114
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 7
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2204
League of Legends
• Lourlo1372
• Stunt353
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
4h 15m
Online Event
5h 15m
FEL
10h 15m
AI Arena Tournament
11h 15m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
13h 15m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 4h
INu's Battles
1d 6h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 13h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 13h
Replay Cast
1d 18h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.