• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:46
CEST 07:46
KST 14:46
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Sagi.gg Launcher Released an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8784 users

[G] 5 Roach Rush: early game without the all-in - Page 30

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 28 29 30 31 32 41 Next All
FakeGuy
Profile Joined March 2010
United States13 Posts
September 07 2010 05:54 GMT
#581
I'm amazed at how well this build works. It's very crisp, although I know I'm missing some strange timing because sometimes I pop 5 roaches perfectly and the push lands at 5:50 like it should, and other times I need to wait for another 100-200 minerals for my 4th and 5th roaches.

So far I'm getting an incredible record with this build vP and a very good record vT, and it's forcing me to learn my Roach micro, as there's a lot more play with the units than I originally expected. All in all thanks for sharing such an awesome build, it's been a treat to show some early aggression as Zerg for a change!
kickinhead
Profile Joined December 2008
Switzerland2069 Posts
September 07 2010 06:10 GMT
#582
I totally get that this build may work on opponents at around 1000 Points in Diamond, but it's just a weak build if scouted.

Zerg needs to take risks to have a good economy to win in the lategame against Terran, or Terran will easily pull ahead thanks to mules and early harrass. If this build gets scouted early and the opponent puts up one bunker, you're whole attack-force won't do anything. By this time, you've spent so much Larva on attacking-forces, that your eco won't just recover if you hatch 5 drones at a time.

See this build for what it is: A nice way to punish Terran players who blindly go reaper-all-in's (which are most of em) and don't really know how to do anything else.

Besides, on most short-distance 2-player-maps, where this build could work the best, Terran will go fast Marauder+Hellion-push - and I highly doubt this build will have any chance against that.
https://soundcloud.com/thesamplethief
necroticah
Profile Joined August 2010
South Africa233 Posts
September 07 2010 07:21 GMT
#583
I have been pulling this off too. I am only a gold player and I took Forces advice on the Double Extractor trick and it goes extremely smooth after that.

IF someone does scout or manage to block then I find myself needing a plan fast!!! If they took alot of damage from them I immediately start looking into Mutas, if not then I guess I have to defend my expand with Roaches until I get Hydras/Mutas. My APM is good so I can do alot at once, I just don't win
Galleon.frigate
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada721 Posts
September 07 2010 08:33 GMT
#584
On September 07 2010 15:10 kickinhead wrote:
Besides, on most short-distance 2-player-maps, where this build could work the best, Terran will go fast Marauder+Hellion-push - and I highly doubt this build will have any chance against that.


I'm not sure that's is the case... then it becomes a micro battle, I think you have enough to hold out... I could be wrong. You still have a reasonably timed expo... so you should be roughly even, with adjustment to match him...



I'd like to see it tested it... but I have to think I would want roach/speedlings to fight off a mauders hellion push anyways... I can always put up crawlers if I feel neccesary. ( in truth what other option does zerg have? quick rush to muta sure, but it's not going to be in time unless maybe you skip queen)



the way I see this build, Zerg puts up a strong and as dynamic t1 army as it can and expos, push and dmg if possblie, if not stall either way usually tech up to muta

you can balance the numbers of roach/lings + crawlers as needed. This build is only weak vs air but the pressure it puts on limits options to tech there, and you're attack should give the neccesary scouting info to prepair.




Zenny
Profile Joined September 2010
Canada34 Posts
September 07 2010 08:41 GMT
#585
Cool build man!My friend says he's been using it so I'm gonna try it out. Thanks for this =) (DOWN WITH THE 2 GATE!! lawl )
koontz
Profile Joined September 2010
1 Post
September 07 2010 09:36 GMT
#586
http://data.fuskbugg.se/skogsturken/wp.SC2Replay

First of all many thanks for this build :-)

Have done some minor tweaks to it. Basically going for 12/10 then overlord,
ive think this build is slighter better? :-)
broke
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
39 Posts
September 07 2010 10:06 GMT
#587
On September 07 2010 15:10 kickinhead wrote:
I totally get that this build may work on opponents at around 1000 Points in Diamond, but it's just a weak build if scouted.



So it's like any other build, and doesn't change the zerg race into nothing but 5rr?

Blasphemy. I demand my builds be unbeatable.
Gremmel
Profile Joined September 2010
4 Posts
September 07 2010 10:21 GMT
#588
On September 07 2010 18:36 koontz wrote:
http://data.fuskbugg.se/skogsturken/wp.SC2Replay

First of all many thanks for this build :-)

Have done some minor tweaks to it. Basically going for 12/10 then overlord,
ive think this build is slighter better? :-)


The Terran messed up his build early on. Your Roaches were around 20 seconds too late. He could've even had stim and 3 rax pumping if he went for that.

Again this build does work for mass marine, 5 rax reaper, 2 gate zealot but not much else and by the time you actually scout or attack you will loose your whole army to either a good forcefield or even loose your expansion vs a 3 rax stim build.

Since you have less production because of the "delayed" hatch compared too a 15 hatch any normal 50 food push from either T of P will destroy you. Any good timed banshees or voids will also kill your hatch because of no creep spread.

Soo many seems to think that since it's working for them most of the time it's a good build. Until I actually see this in a tournament I wouldn't claim this is such a good opening, a 14/14/15 is stronger in almost every way. It can still hold off crazy early things if played proper, 2 gate, fast reapers etc and destroys later all ins. It also puts you much further ahead in eco that a 5RR.
Sixes
Profile Joined July 2010
Canada1123 Posts
September 07 2010 15:33 GMT
#589
On September 07 2010 19:21 Gremmel wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 07 2010 18:36 koontz wrote:
http://data.fuskbugg.se/skogsturken/wp.SC2Replay

First of all many thanks for this build :-)

Have done some minor tweaks to it. Basically going for 12/10 then overlord,
ive think this build is slighter better? :-)


The Terran messed up his build early on. Your Roaches were around 20 seconds too late. He could've even had stim and 3 rax pumping if he went for that.

Again this build does work for mass marine, 5 rax reaper, 2 gate zealot but not much else and by the time you actually scout or attack you will loose your whole army to either a good forcefield or even loose your expansion vs a 3 rax stim build.

Since you have less production because of the "delayed" hatch compared too a 15 hatch any normal 50 food push from either T of P will destroy you. Any good timed banshees or voids will also kill your hatch because of no creep spread.

Soo many seems to think that since it's working for them most of the time it's a good build. Until I actually see this in a tournament I wouldn't claim this is such a good opening, a 14/14/15 is stronger in almost every way. It can still hold off crazy early things if played proper, 2 gate, fast reapers etc and destroys later all ins. It also puts you much further ahead in eco that a 5RR.


Well this build compared to the 14/14/15 is just delaying the expand to accelerate the roaches.

So it's true the main builds it's good against are the ones where the earlier roaches can make a big difference defensively (2 gate, reapers, even banelings) or, and this is the point I believe you missed, OFFENSIVELY (banshees, thor drops). Look at pro games, look at scouting timings and early defenses on tech plays.

The main strength of this build is forcing the Terran into certain styles of play, In fact I am considering unvetoing LT and Kulas because thor drops would lose to it.

Given the build punishes TLO style early expands (the 3 marine hellion defense is not enough) I don't think the econ is particularly late. The key is to not sacrifice the army if you scout marauders. On the other hand 5 roaches in with the speedlings actually helps beat marine/marauder or marauder/hellion pushes (and even with a 14/16 you need to spend a lot on defense to counter that push).

Note as well that a) spine crawlers are not necessary which is econ saved (spine crawlers are very expensive defense when you think about it ... especially as it is necessary to place them well before a push so they are not always used) and b) your defense is mobile, you can go on the offensive really fast, destroy reinforcements, catch him in the open etc, this allows you to punish Terran expands and retain map control much better than spine crawlers ever will.

ImGonnaRideYou
Profile Joined July 2010
53 Posts
September 09 2010 03:32 GMT
#590
What the hell did you guys do? Every Terran I play on ladder now opens with 3 rax mass marine into 5 rax marine push. You guys must've really put a hurt on them for the past few weeks. Now, I come across this build and it's useless because no one is going with a build that falls to 5RR. Whether it's because people have gotten used to it, or that it was all bad luck (good luck for my opponents), it ain't working for me. Best of luck to you guys with this build!
Galleon.frigate
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada721 Posts
September 09 2010 03:34 GMT
#591
Heh ya I've finding more resistance to it...

I'm really finding so few wall-ins with a pylon or depo. With no weak point the roachs don't have the power to punch in and do the eco damage needed to make the build shine.

Still it's a nice build to have around for when I do see that depo
dapz
Profile Joined August 2010
27 Posts
September 09 2010 04:54 GMT
#592
i personally have no problem when a zerg goes fast roaches against my 2gate. But it does get them decently into the middlegame and they definitely do not die from the early zealots. aside from maybe a few lings or drones if the build isn't timed correctly.
Hikko
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States1126 Posts
September 09 2010 04:58 GMT
#593
vs Protoss, I've found that it is extremely effective to use this 5RR and switch to Mutalisk. Most Protoss players will respond to your rush by making Immortals
♥
Zenny
Profile Joined September 2010
Canada34 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-09 17:30:46
September 09 2010 17:28 GMT
#594
Well, I said I would use it and I did. Works great to be honest. Terrific little strat to have in handy. Especially when you play a random player who is more often than not, going to cheese your face in. I don't think I will use it all the time because I feel like a reaper rusher or a 2 gater every time I do it. So I know how it feels =P. Good to have in the arsenal! It will be even stronger when the patch comes out.
Sixes
Profile Joined July 2010
Canada1123 Posts
September 09 2010 17:37 GMT
#595
On September 09 2010 12:34 Galleon.frigate wrote:
Heh ya I've finding more resistance to it...

I'm really finding so few wall-ins with a pylon or depo. With no weak point the roachs don't have the power to punch in and do the eco damage needed to make the build shine.

Still it's a nice build to have around for when I do see that depo


Look at the Dimaga style ZvP thread.

I have found on most maps a scout (OL or a 12 ish drone on 4 player maps) gets there right at the decision point for the warren versus hatchery, the rest of the build is similar (you go 13 pool gas or gas pool, 15 OL, queen right away, then at 20 it's hatchery for the dimaga style or warren for the 5RR). Now when your scout gets there if you see a weak front (hellion/(1/1/1/) or 2 gate) you go 5RR, otherwise you drop expand immediately and get the evo (and immediately the 1/0 ling upgrades).

The 1/0 (or 0/1 if you prefer) lings destroy marine marauder as well as gateway pushes so they are a great opener and a strong economy for any transition. The 5RR is more situational but a good option to have if you scout a 2 gate or weak front.
necroticah
Profile Joined August 2010
South Africa233 Posts
September 10 2010 08:51 GMT
#596
On September 10 2010 02:37 Sixes wrote:The 5RR is more situational but a good option to have if you scout a 2 gate or weak front.


When I came across a 'weak front' he is usually amassing a Void Ray/Pheonix Strategy..

So you need to be quick to hurt him all the while you build Queens and tech to Hydra/Muta I think.
caewil
Profile Joined August 2010
Singapore26 Posts
September 10 2010 09:00 GMT
#597
When I watched a couple of matches between Idra and Silver, where I saw Silver place both his rax and factory below the ramp in both matches, I was actually screaming at the screen for Idra to do the build. Silver had three marines which would barely have been able to hit roaches if they had attacked the wall and would have been completely useless if they had decided to pick off the tech lab.

Now being Idra, he lost and hilariously rage-quit after a tank drop on the high-ground and mech pushing. But still, he is my hero and it makes me sad that he didn't use this.
OdinPimphammer
Profile Joined August 2010
Afghanistan40 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-10 10:01:35
September 10 2010 10:01 GMT
#598
I have been watching quite a few high level Zerg players (streams, tourneys, replays) and almost none of them will do the 5rr, they almost always look to expand even if for such a noob as myself it would seem the 5rr would win them the game. Not sure what the deal is because the metagame at that level is really asking for 5rr at least as 1 out 3 games attempt.

I think most high level Z players feel like they are cheesing when they do this build and that there is some dishonor in doing it. Even though P feels its their right to cannon up your ramp and rush Zealots <4 min mark. Oh well.
kataa
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United Kingdom384 Posts
September 10 2010 11:57 GMT
#599
On September 10 2010 19:01 OdinPimphammer wrote:
I have been watching quite a few high level Zerg players (streams, tourneys, replays) and almost none of them will do the 5rr, they almost always look to expand even if for such a noob as myself it would seem the 5rr would win them the game.


That's not entirely true, there are few top 200 players I've seen use it, Sen being the most notable example. It's just that, as is the mark with all good players, they only use the strategy in certain situations - as oppose to spaming it for easy ladder wins.
Chriamon
Profile Joined April 2010
United States886 Posts
September 10 2010 12:05 GMT
#600
On September 09 2010 13:54 dapz wrote:
i personally have no problem when a zerg goes fast roaches against my 2gate. But it does get them decently into the middlegame and they definitely do not die from the early zealots. aside from maybe a few lings or drones if the build isn't timed correctly.

I think thats the point, Im sure from the Zs perspective your 2 gate isn't bothering him and he gets into the mid game on even footing or ahead (depending on micro/decision making).
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/profile/274906/1/Blaze/
Prev 1 28 29 30 31 32 41 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 15m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
WinterStarcraft694
PiGStarcraft208
StarCraft: Brood War
Horang2 556
Stork 221
ggaemo 161
Leta 145
PianO 55
Hyuk 35
yabsab 19
Bale 18
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm218
League of Legends
JimRising 699
Reynor26
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King257
Westballz50
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor653
Other Games
summit1g8986
Coldzera 822
C9.Mang0305
Sick142
RuFF_SC2116
ViBE78
ArmadaUGS41
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick655
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream114
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 7
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2204
League of Legends
• Lourlo1372
• Stunt353
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
4h 15m
Online Event
5h 15m
FEL
10h 15m
AI Arena Tournament
11h 15m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
13h 15m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 4h
INu's Battles
1d 6h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 13h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 13h
Replay Cast
1d 18h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.