• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:32
CEST 08:32
KST 15:32
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Sagi.gg Launcher Released an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8723 users

[G] 5 Roach Rush: early game without the all-in - Page 32

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 30 31 32 33 34 41 Next All
detact
Profile Joined September 2010
United States4 Posts
September 14 2010 07:26 GMT
#621
Went as far as 1000 points in diamond with this build. Very strong build. Use overlord to hit buildings out of sight without having to use ramp.
evilsaint
Profile Joined August 2010
United States309 Posts
September 14 2010 07:42 GMT
#622
On September 14 2010 14:47 kmillz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 14 2010 04:57 truckerdaves wrote:
plat 1v1 player here. I have to say this. I won 12 straight games with the 5RR. This strategy is incredibly. Yes of course it can be defended, but since the scouting probe dies to only 2 lings, your opponent thinks he is pretty safe only seeing a 13 pool. Wonderful strategy very well thought about and explicitly explained. Kudos OP


It is pretty freaking effective in platinum I am on a 7-streak right now myself. I am sure I'll be in diamond soon with this strat alone. Just gotta get it down better vs Terran. It seems Terran can counter it pretty easy with a bunker though. I have yet to lose to a Protoss using this :D


Seems like you could just run past the bunker, assuming he didn't wall up with it?
kmillz
Profile Joined August 2010
United States1548 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-14 07:58:51
September 14 2010 07:55 GMT
#623
On September 14 2010 16:24 OdinPimphammer wrote:
Be prepared to lose a lot once you get artificially ranked higher in diamond because of your win streaks.

I ended up having to completely rethink the way I played, because it put me from Plat rank 1 to Diamond rank 1 about 800 + points. The 10 game win streaks went away pretty hard and I had to actually learn how to play. Now that I did I am 11-1 during my last 12 games in Diamond 700+ points climbing back up.

Just something to think about.


Winning streak still going, still in platinum, 11 games now, last 5 or so opponents are all diamond.
I've had 4 games today where I had to transition because I got countered (2 terran 2 protoss) getting bunkers/stalkers, just want to add that i transitioned just fine throughout the rest of the game because i get an expo up as im pushing.. all games lasted between 25-40 mins and I can play just fine. I don't just use this to try and win outright but it is a very great tactic for FORCING terran into marauders/turtle and toss into stalkers/turtle. It's nice to be able to dictate THEIR gameplay, I don't think i have to COMPLETELY rethink the way i play..at this point increasing apm is probably my biggest weakness (70-90). I legitimately feel like i belong in diamond and look forward to the challenges ahead. Losing when i do get into diamond will make me better. Rank 3 Platinum 43-29 (~800) now, alot of credit to this opening.
kmillz
Profile Joined August 2010
United States1548 Posts
September 14 2010 07:58 GMT
#624
On September 14 2010 16:42 evilsaint wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 14 2010 14:47 kmillz wrote:
On September 14 2010 04:57 truckerdaves wrote:
plat 1v1 player here. I have to say this. I won 12 straight games with the 5RR. This strategy is incredibly. Yes of course it can be defended, but since the scouting probe dies to only 2 lings, your opponent thinks he is pretty safe only seeing a 13 pool. Wonderful strategy very well thought about and explicitly explained. Kudos OP


It is pretty freaking effective in platinum I am on a 7-streak right now myself. I am sure I'll be in diamond soon with this strat alone. Just gotta get it down better vs Terran. It seems Terran can counter it pretty easy with a bunker though. I have yet to lose to a Protoss using this :D


Seems like you could just run past the bunker, assuming he didn't wall up with it?


I can't remember the games with the bunkers exactly but i am pretty sure they had them at a distance that hit roaches close to supply depot but i cant hit the bunker back due to roaches 3 range. At this point I generally power drone and try to keep him from expanding as long as possible, seems to work pretty good.
aaroB
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada89 Posts
September 14 2010 10:51 GMT
#625
Wow thanks for this great build! I was having asstonnes of problems creating early game pressure vs T and P and this is the perfect solution. I love the fact that this significantly delays the protoss 4gate (which for me has given me lotss of problems) and also gives you full scouting information on their base (assuming you get in, which i have pretty much every single time) so that you aren't caught off guard by VRs. It has helped me elevate my game and i finally managed to crack 1200 diamond just now. I don't see what all the criticism is all about. Why don't you people give it a shot before theorycrafting all this bs.

GJ Fistdantilus and GL!
Oh Hai Dere
Undercroft
Profile Joined April 2010
United Kingdom166 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-16 17:54:46
September 16 2010 17:52 GMT
#626
Bumping this thread for epic justice :D

Aslo when i see a toss going for phoenix when i bust in just makes me smile :D

[edit]
Also anyone have some replays of this build vs zerg? I'm just not sure how it'd work out against the usual zvz stuff (personally i'm an overpool evocrawler kinda guy in zvz myself, but knowing how to use this against zerg will help when i go against randoms that spawn as zerg)
Our dronessssss are under attaahck!!
IPA
Profile Joined August 2010
United States3206 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-16 18:21:17
September 16 2010 18:20 GMT
#627
This is just another option, it is not the savior of Z play. Too many 5RR zealots in here. I don't think fistdantilus meant this to be the "be all, end all" of Z openings. Try this in 1000+ diamond and you will get raped for free.
Time held me green and dying though I sang in my chains like the sea.
Harbinger631
Profile Joined September 2010
United States376 Posts
September 16 2010 19:44 GMT
#628
Is there a recent replay that shows the newer build order that I could watch? Preferably vs Terran.
thecatsmeow
Profile Joined September 2010
1 Post
September 19 2010 04:51 GMT
#629
On September 13 2010 15:46 sandman_sy wrote:


some french guy claiming a counter to this strat.. i have no idea what he's saying but i just look at the gameplay.... if you see this.. what do you do??

He's not claiming a counter, actually... Just happens to be a replay where it's VR rush vs 5RR ("contre" = french for "versus/against").

It's actually kind of interesting... I think he had mixed feelings how zerg used his 5 roaches (you could argue that he should've gone for the pylon, esp. after the zealot went down with the zerglings on the way), and he pointed out the mistake when zerg ran the roaches into the base, since they were just sitting ducks to that first VR as they passed through that long choke.

So when that craps out, zerg is sitting on a dozen or so lings, but at least has the evo chamber and an extra queen coming out. The commentator says that those decisions are good, but argues that cancelling the fast expo was his fatal mistake... mostly because it was the only way he could've made up for his previous problems, most notably the econ hit he took for all those lings and generally mucking up his macro (note the 3 unused larva, poor use of injects, etc.) Zerg was doing everything else okay (including getting hydras) but was so far behind economically that there was no way he was going to be able to deal with the 8+ VRs. Finally, though his FF was good, his initial decision to fight the VRs off creep (and so arguably his creep mismanagement as well!) pretty much sealed it.

The commentator also made the snarky comment that this is where the scrubby zergs would whine about VRs being OP or something, but that the reality was that he misplayed it. I'd be inclined to agree.
Sixes
Profile Joined July 2010
Canada1123 Posts
September 19 2010 05:06 GMT
#630
On September 17 2010 03:20 IPA wrote:
This is just another option, it is not the savior of Z play. Too many 5RR zealots in here. I don't think fistdantilus meant this to be the "be all, end all" of Z openings. Try this in 1000+ diamond and you will get raped for free.


1100+ diamond myself. It still works.

It is not the be all, end all but it is a very nice option even over 1000 diamond. My main use for it is as a transition off of the Dimaga build (speedlings with upgrades) when I scout a weak looking front (2 gate or pylons used in the wall on a close spawn map).

Just remember it is not an all in, you need to set up your expand as you attack.
Svartstol
Profile Joined September 2010
Sweden171 Posts
September 19 2010 12:47 GMT
#631
Hello guys, first time poster here.

So i've been attempting this build, but failed every time and for some reason i can't see my own mistakes. My timings seem to be fairly accurate compared to the tmings of OP's replays.

Could some of you more experienced players give me a few pointers as to what i am doing wrong?


[image loading]
Tabularasa
Profile Joined July 2010
Germany116 Posts
September 19 2010 13:03 GMT
#632
Svartstol, here are some pointers:

1. you let the enemy scout your roach warren - this often means you will be greated by stalkers/marauders. Avoid getting scouted like that. In this game you were kinda lucky there still were just zealots, although you probably called up the immortals with that.

2. You didn't micro your roaches at all. You just stood there taking massive hits from the zealots. Kite them with move - s - move - s to deal way more damage than they do. Just because you heard roaches are good against zealots doesnt mean you can just run into them.
Imho this was the main point you lost, because you didn't deal any damage with those roaches. And you NEED to deal significant damage with those first roaches, even if you just reduce the enemys army size.
Suiciding your lings into the zealot-line at the backdoor wasnt that clever too - just a bad deal.

3. Despite focusing on getting out the roaches quickly, use your remaining ressources better. If you want to support with lings, get speed (13 pool, 13 gas if you want the first 100 gas for speed; 13 pool, 14/15 gas otherwise). Maybe expand as soon as you got the minerals for it after your initial roaches.
KeKeKeKeZergru..... forgot my Spawningpool :<
Svartstol
Profile Joined September 2010
Sweden171 Posts
September 19 2010 13:29 GMT
#633
Thanks for the replies, I'll spend my day in the unittester to practise micro
Tjuhl
Profile Joined September 2010
Germany17 Posts
September 19 2010 14:23 GMT
#634
Thank you, I approve this build (initially). Worked for me just fine vs. a 2-gate push by protoss into quick tech and vs. a terran that tried to tech quickly into 2 starports. :-)
Trying to be a good Overmind.
OdinPimphammer
Profile Joined August 2010
Afghanistan40 Posts
September 19 2010 15:04 GMT
#635
I cant understand why more tourney players dont attempt this opening. It seems most are content with FEing and then banking everything on the ability to defend the initial pushes from P or Z. This is resulting in many losses for Z players in tourneys to lesser opponents IMHO.

I know that if us regular Joe's are getting good results with this that these tourney participants can probably refine it even more. Ahh well.
Svartstol
Profile Joined September 2010
Sweden171 Posts
September 19 2010 17:38 GMT
#636
It's probs because it feels a bit cheesy even if it isnt.
Servius_Fulvius
Profile Joined August 2009
United States947 Posts
September 19 2010 17:53 GMT
#637
On September 20 2010 00:04 OdinPimphammer wrote:
I cant understand why more tourney players dont attempt this opening. It seems most are content with FEing and then banking everything on the ability to defend the initial pushes from P or Z. This is resulting in many losses for Z players in tourneys to lesser opponents IMHO.

I know that if us regular Joe's are getting good results with this that these tourney participants can probably refine it even more. Ahh well.


I look at tournament play and see a lot of parallels with high level BW play. The idea is to hold of a rush with the least amount of forces so you can drone more. 5RR is an opening, but not a very economic opening (even if it transitions to macro-oriented play, you're still behind in the worker count if your opponent was able to hold it off with the least amount of units on their end).

I am curious, though, how far a player can get doing a well-executed 5RR...
KandLeMaN
Profile Joined September 2010
United States64 Posts
September 20 2010 23:10 GMT
#638
Fistdantilus,

Thanks for posting this build.

I had problems showing early aggression as Zerg (albeit, in the Practice League) and I just used this strategy in my first placement match on LT vs. a Terran. It worked beautifully. I didn't execute it exactly like you, I had about 4 zerglings in my attack party along with 5 roaches and 1 trailing behind but I tore apart his marines and SCVs before he lifted off then I just quick teched to Mutas and finished him off.

Good stuff.
Liter of cola
DarKFoRcE
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Germany1215 Posts
September 20 2010 23:15 GMT
#639
So many people keep bugging me about the 5RR on my stream. I personally think that its pretty much an allin, as you are pretty far behind in economy if you fail to do alot of damage (and no, placing a hatch while moving out doesnt make this much better). And as Terran and Protoss usually have a wallin i dont see how this is supposed to work against a competent player.
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/PinDarKFoRcE
KandLeMaN
Profile Joined September 2010
United States64 Posts
September 21 2010 00:06 GMT
#640
Inevitably, I tried it again my next match vs. a Toss and got absolutely raped by a 4-gate 90% stalker army. He didn't scout my R Warren, so he must have just been going stalker anyway, but 7 minutes in he had 9 stalkers and just raped me.
Liter of cola
Prev 1 30 31 32 33 34 41 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 28m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
WinterStarcraft749
StarCraft: Brood War
Horang2 577
ggaemo 396
Stork 333
Leta 266
PianO 76
ZergMaN 29
Hyuk 28
yabsab 17
Bale 16
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm158
League of Legends
JimRising 245
Reynor57
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King202
Westballz50
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor679
Other Games
summit1g9953
C9.Mang0284
PiGStarcraft171
Sick162
ArmadaUGS65
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick595
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream129
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 12
• Letter145
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2286
League of Legends
• Lourlo1395
• Stunt556
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
3h 28m
Online Event
4h 28m
FEL
9h 28m
AI Arena Tournament
10h 28m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
12h 28m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 3h
INu's Battles
1d 5h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 12h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 12h
Replay Cast
1d 17h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.