• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:51
CEST 18:51
KST 01:51
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9591 users

Sensor Tower? - Page 2

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Psyonic_Reaver
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States4343 Posts
March 05 2010 12:40 GMT
#21
I don't like how the enemy can see the enemy sensor range. On Scrap Yard or whatever gay fuck name that map is. I like to take the island and it would be AWESOME to put a sensor tower there to make sure I don't get dropped but nooooooooooooooo can't alert the enemy that i'm there. Bleh...

I find Sensor Towers to be a great way to see if Toss have obs in your base or if Zerg Roaches are trying to burrow past your forces or something. I like to place them around a player I know I have contained to make sure nothing slips past.
So wait? I'm bad? =(
Niten
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States598 Posts
March 05 2010 18:31 GMT
#22
On March 05 2010 19:11 Odds wrote:
Your opponent should really only be able to see the radius if he's scouted the tower itself. =/


I wholeheartedly agree with you here. Being able to suddenly see a radius for something you haven't even seen yet from the fog of war is completely stupid. This should really apply to seige tanks as well.
Korra: "Ok, I know that I'm not good at emotions, but that's what Tenzin's gonna teach me, right? He's gonna teach me to be happy and gentle and spiritual, and the rest of that bullsh**t."
dustdust
Profile Joined March 2010
Germany76 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-05 18:42:26
March 05 2010 18:42 GMT
#23
with one or two sensor towers I can keep my tanks unsieged all the time and siege/move them appropriately as soon as I see red dots incoming.
L0thar
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
987 Posts
March 05 2010 18:53 GMT
#24
On March 05 2010 21:40 Psyonic_Reaver wrote:
I find Sensor Towers to be a great way to see if Toss have obs in your base or if Zerg Roaches are trying to burrow past your forces or something. I like to place them around a player I know I have contained to make sure nothing slips past.


What? Sensor Towers don't detect cloaked or burrowed units, no?
MasterReY
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
Germany2708 Posts
March 05 2010 19:12 GMT
#25
sensor towers helped me ALOT in a game i played just 5 mins ago.

TvP on Blistering sands.

Protoss killed the rocks @my backramp in early game so there was the threat of getting my main raped all the time. i build 2 sensor towers to see if his units some to attack my base and was able to prepare well with sieged twanks and stuff when he tries to attack @ backramp.

REPLAY: http://www.mediafire.com/?uttzndzu4ij

https://www.twitch.tv/MasterReY/ ~ Biggest Reach fan on TL.net (Don't even dare to mention LR now) ~ R.I.P Violet ~ Developer of SCRChart
TL+ Member
MasterReY
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
Germany2708 Posts
March 05 2010 19:13 GMT
#26
On March 06 2010 03:53 adelarge wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 05 2010 21:40 Psyonic_Reaver wrote:
I find Sensor Towers to be a great way to see if Toss have obs in your base or if Zerg Roaches are trying to burrow past your forces or something. I like to place them around a player I know I have contained to make sure nothing slips past.


What? Sensor Towers don't detect cloaked or burrowed units, no?


they dont detect them as in you cant attack them, but they still show that they are there with those little red circles.
https://www.twitch.tv/MasterReY/ ~ Biggest Reach fan on TL.net (Don't even dare to mention LR now) ~ R.I.P Violet ~ Developer of SCRChart
TL+ Member
Chairman Ray
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States11903 Posts
March 05 2010 19:17 GMT
#27
The problem I find with the sensor tower is that it helps your opponent too much. With such a steep cost, it should be like any other building or unit that only helps you. Against a sensor tower, I would walk a dozen probes towards one of their bases, and a few seconds later, send my main force to attack another base.
Unentschieden
Profile Joined August 2007
Germany1471 Posts
March 05 2010 19:23 GMT
#28
Wouldn´t you rather use Hallucinations?
Tears.Of.The.Moon
Profile Joined September 2009
Slovenia715 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-05 19:26:35
March 05 2010 19:25 GMT
#29
I found the sensor tower quite usefull against zerg, if he went heavy air.
You alredy have an Enginering bay in that matchup because of the turrets you need vs mutalisk. So the sensor tower is alredy unlocked , and it realy payes to have him against mutas, so your marines can see from which side the mutas will come. It counters muta harass quite well, since you always know from which side they are coming. It makes a huge difference for your marine force.
But except that matchup ,i didn't realy found it usefull.
ヽ(´ー`)┌
Eben
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States769 Posts
March 05 2010 19:28 GMT
#30
On March 06 2010 04:13 MasterReY wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 06 2010 03:53 adelarge wrote:
On March 05 2010 21:40 Psyonic_Reaver wrote:
I find Sensor Towers to be a great way to see if Toss have obs in your base or if Zerg Roaches are trying to burrow past your forces or something. I like to place them around a player I know I have contained to make sure nothing slips past.


What? Sensor Towers don't detect cloaked or burrowed units, no?


they dont detect them as in you cant attack them, but they still show that they are there with those little red circles.


No they dont. they dont show stealth units at all (not 100% sure about burrowed..)
789
Profile Joined October 2009
United States959 Posts
March 05 2010 20:03 GMT
#31
I like the concept of sensor towers and agree they can be quite useful. But the 2 major drawbacks (high cost and enemy being able to see radius) make me feel they aren't worth it in most cases. The only time I ever really bother to think about using them is if my opponent is doing a heavy air or drop based strategy. There is something about your enemy knowing that you know that bothers me, especially at the cost of 100 gas. The radius being shown makes them worthless for using at a hidden base. If they cost less gas or the radius wasn't shown I'd probably use them a lot more.
Member of Hyuk Hyuk Hyuk Cafe! He's the next Jaedong, baby!
Holgerius
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Sweden16951 Posts
March 05 2010 20:09 GMT
#32
I can definitely see how, on certain maps, it could be a great tool for scouting to put up a Sensor Tower at some key locations.
I believe in the almighty Grötslev! -- I am never serious and you should never believe a thing I say. Including the previous sentence.
3FFA
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States3931 Posts
March 05 2010 20:53 GMT
#33
finally they have been proven to have an actual USE! YES!
"As long as it comes from a pure place and from a honest place, you know, you can write whatever you want."
Antpile
Profile Joined March 2009
United States213 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-05 23:35:09
March 05 2010 23:32 GMT
#34
These things are ridiculously useful.

As a zerg player, I find them very annoying when the terran puts one at each expo because it basically shuts down all herassment and shows him any nydus worms immediately. I can no longer get my mutas any where near any of his mineral lines without ten thousand marines already sitting there waiting for me. Same goes for a big ground force heading for one of his expos. Basically, I can never catch the terran unprepared again.

It is definitely worth putting up once you've gone to two bases unless you put the second in some goofy place in an attempt to hide it. If you just expanded your nat, it's not like they won't find it or anything, so you should put the tower down as soon as your defenses are set. This way, one army can defend both bases due to having warning of any incoming attacks.

This thing is worth it's weight in gold. Just imagine how much BS this thing will stop over the course of your SC2 career. How many cheesy drops, nydus worms, or muta surprises this thing will save you from and hence how many games you would have lost that you end up winning just because of spending 100 gas. You'd be crazy not to use these.

The radius needs to be viewable though. This thing is basically built in maphack.

One piece of advice i will give though is to place the tower someplace there is a bunch of missile turrets, because I WILL snipe that thing with my mutas if I can.
brocoli
Profile Joined February 2010
Brazil264 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-05 23:51:01
March 05 2010 23:50 GMT
#35
They are ridiculously good already.
Just go and watch any replay with them in action.

But regarding siege tanks, it is really a shame that the radius is visible for them =/

@Chairman Ray:
this is kinda risky... if those probes get scanned, they'll be Viking'd/Banshee'd for sure.
Roulette36
Profile Joined October 2009
United States55 Posts
March 05 2010 23:57 GMT
#36
does the blimps show up on the mini map?
Foxhawk
Profile Joined December 2009
United States41 Posts
March 05 2010 23:59 GMT
#37
I like them vs reapers if I can afford it.
No plan of battle ever survives contact with the enemy.
MorroW
Profile Joined August 2008
Sweden3522 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-06 00:05:47
March 06 2010 00:05 GMT
#38
they r good lategame tvt when the map is split, u can see which direction he moves without having to scan all the time. the cost is nothing since ur rich with 200 psi :p

i dont like that my opponent can see my sensor array area tho, thats pretty retarded
Progamerpls no copy pasterino
Zelniq
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
United States7166 Posts
March 06 2010 00:10 GMT
#39
They're good vs nydus worms
ModeratorBlame yourself or God
Twe3k
Profile Joined August 2009
89 Posts
March 06 2010 00:19 GMT
#40
They are useless early on. During one of my first games on Beta, I made a sensor tower thinking it would detect cloak... yeah I definitely lost that game.

SENSOR TOWER DOES NOT SEE CLOAK!

But I think I might need to start incorporating them in to my game play more during Mid to late game. Map control becomes very important as Terran and this building allows it to happen.
Lets Burn! <_/_/_D
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 9m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech150
mouzHeroMarine 134
UpATreeSC 124
BRAT_OK 58
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 3801
Bisu 1752
Soulkey 1306
EffOrt 946
Mini 632
Larva 405
ZerO 317
Horang2 287
actioN 222
ggaemo 165
[ Show more ]
Dewaltoss 123
Mind 81
hero 77
Shinee 68
Sharp 66
Sea.KH 58
sorry 56
Snow 48
Barracks 41
Hyun 41
Bale 31
Trap 29
Terrorterran 23
ToSsGirL 19
NaDa 16
Rock 15
scan(afreeca) 13
Sacsri 10
Noble 9
ajuk12(nOOB) 8
zelot 7
Dota 2
Gorgc5628
Dendi1195
XaKoH 384
420jenkins346
League of Legends
Reynor84
Counter-Strike
fl0m3382
pashabiceps709
Fnx 671
x6flipin484
edward32
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes464
Liquid`Hasu48
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi1525
hiko882
FrodaN601
XBOCT236
Livibee192
TKL 114
QueenE96
C9.Mang067
Mew2King43
ZerO(Twitch)25
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV206
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream31
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 55
• Reevou 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 39
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV684
League of Legends
• Nemesis4035
• TFBlade804
Other Games
• Shiphtur505
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
7h 9m
Patches Events
23h 9m
The PondCast
1d 17h
INu's Battles
1d 18h
Percival vs TBD
Zoun vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.